Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Tank Wizards

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 31, 2013
What do you think would be a "tank wizard?"
I think this would be a good tank, and I'll explain why.

Primary School (Wizard type) : Ice
Why? Because Ice has lots of health to take lots of damage, but, little attack damage.

Secondary School : Storm
Why? Because Storm school packs a punch, but, as a primary storm, you have little health so you can go down easily.

I just think that a large amount of health, with a large amount of damage would be good.
If it was Primary Storm, and secondary ice, little health, with little damage.
Tell me what class you think would be a best combo. Primary, and secondary.

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
My level 49 ice wizard is a tank without any secondary school. I wouldn't call her attacks weak; with balefrost, a blade, and a trap, they're very powerful. So far the only time she has had to resort to off-school spells is with the ice mobs in Wintertusk.

But I think the real tank is Life: good health to begin with, insane healing, and rarely fizzles. I have a level 23 life wizard, and he just never dies. But I am considering storm as a secondary school for him, not so much because the life attacks are weak (they can be buffed), but because he has so few of them, and won't get an AoE until a much higher level.

Explorer
Jun 20, 2009
I agree with you, but I think if you could, you should be able to squeeze some balance spells in there too. Blades, traps, and shields are very important.

Marissa BattleFlame
Initiate Theurgist

Survivor
Mar 05, 2011
A tank wiz would be a full jade gear no attacks blades traps enchants only heals with heartsteel or a incoming outgoing athame and a incoming outgoing ring with a wand that gives outgoing................i've seen it alot its annoying.

Wolf Nightcaller lvl 90 balance commander
Talon Spiritfinder lvl 81 life knight
Wolf Sunwalker lvl 71 fire knight
Wolf Nightcaller lvl 10 myth captain

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
andoxin00 on Mar 24, 2013 wrote:

Why? Because Ice has lots of health to take lots of damage, but, little attack damage.

Why? Because Storm school packs a punch, but, as a primary storm, you have little health so you can go down easily.

I just think that a large amount of health, with a large amount of damage would be good.
When you get into the higher levels people primarily only use their primary school. Except they use tower shield, weakness, doom & gloom, satyr, etc. People do this because the gear for higher levels only boosts to your school. Its hard to have Ice's resist and Storm's attack because most of your attack will be from the gear you got to give yourself that resist, which is ice attack. A colossaled Mammoth with 30% attack boost would do more than a colossaled Stormzilla with 0-6% hit to storm. Trust me, my Ice was my first char and sadly, trained storm. I don't have the money to buy back my TP though.

Wolf Skullslinger, Thaumaturge by Trade

Archon
Oct 24, 2010

Ice is obvious since Ice wizards are already called tanks.
Storm may work - it didn't for my level 67 Ice wizard. At all. I bought back my training points and trained Death.
I have a new Ice wizard in the works I am training with Life.

Either one will keep Ice alive nicely.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011

i have a life wizard, who has trained ice to tower shield~ she doesn't do a ton of damage, but the combination of healing and high resist makes her practically immortal.

-von/tavia
level 48 life

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Probably life with a Balance or Fire secondary

Life main:
--Huge health
--More than the usual number of healing spells
--Spirit Shield
--High accuracy
--0-pip healing

Balance secondary:
--Second best accuracy
--Reasonable damage
--You get Sandstorm earlier than most schools get their first multi-enemy damage spells
--An early -25% enemy attack strength card
--Not many early bosses are inherently resistant to Balance

Fire secondary:
--Good damage
--Flameblade
--Shields against life's weaknesses
--Fire resistance spell

Champion
Dec 01, 2011

Storm and Life
Fire and Life
Ice and Life

Balance and Astral Spells

Life and Myth
Myth and Life
Death and ???

Champion
Feb 03, 2012

A secondary storm shcool would just be a primary ice school but weaker. Ice is a good school for tanking, but in this game, we don't have the mechcanics that allow for a perfect full on defense and full on damage tank school.

Survivor
Jan 17, 2010
Ice wizards definitely. They have the highest health out of everyone, so they're able to take a ton of damage for long periods of time, and then attack once they've gotten buffed and everything. My ice wizard doesn't even have to heal during any of the boss battles in Celestia, and can even fight alone, or with a Level 40 henchman. Depends on the boss's health.
I think a second best would be Balance - they can shield like crazy - with a secondary school of death - taking life from enemies and bringing it into themselves. My balance has done every single boss fight and dungeon alone, up to Katzenstein's Lab in Marleybone.

Kestrel IceWalker - Level 61
Genevieve StarFinder - Level 42

Explorer
Nov 29, 2012
I don't know what it is, but I consider my myth a tank. I train ice up to tower shield and life up to satyr. I also put a reshuffle in. Whenever I duel, I always try to spam my towers, and keep a reshuffle and satyr at the side. I will spawn in about two of my minions and let them do their thing while I kinda of just lay back and let my pips build up, while I also buff up. Once I'm good on pips and have a couple buffs, I attack (usually with attack stuns, such as Medusa). it will usually do the job. Thats my tank class.

Defender
May 11, 2012
I guess I qualify as a tank wizard. I am ice, with storm as my secondary school, and I use a storm mastery amulet. I find it works very well. I don't think ice has weak spells. I do plenty of damage with my ice, and, with some notable exceptions of course, have managed to solo most of the game and am currently working in Avalon.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
I consider my Life wizard my Tank. It was my first and longest played school and I play it the best of all the other schools I have tried. I mainly prefer to solo but have helped many other wizards along my way. I can deal and heal. I can run Sun or Moon spots. Altho I do not intend on subjecting her to Aztecia she can hold her own in all the rest of the worlds with out worry.

I did train secondary spells in the beginning, I kept Feint but dropped all the rest and only add spells that will enhance my school given ones. I have extra blades/traps provided by gear and trained the Sun (fists) spells though Colossus.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Ice is definitely my tank. I worked really hard at getting the right gear and the right stats that would make her awesome in the game. She trained Death as a secondary way back when she was a noob, but I never bought back her training points, as I find that the Ice/Death combination is ..... deadly to say the least. I do have some gear that boosts my Death damage when I need it, and I have the Deer Knight spell that packs a punch.

With my Ice basic gear, her health is currently at 6120, which means she'll survive brutal hits, and although I don't have immunity resist to any school, her resist is still fantastic and works for me.

Defender
Dec 16, 2009
I am an ice wizard (about 5k health) with storm as a secondary, I should level up once to be able to use a certain robe. With that robe, mastery mulet, and other gear combined, I get 80% storm damage boost and can use storm spells (and get rid of those old TC I've been collecting). I think that's a good tank right there, high health and tons of damage.