Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Tricks to Solo a Boss Fight.

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I have put these tips in another thread, but decided this way may help more people.

I have seen many complaints about the bosses being too hard in Azteca. Yes, they are difficult. What really angers me is when people tell others to use Henchmen. What sort of advice is that? People shouldn't have to PAY in order to defeat a boss to gain a spell or even to advance in the game.

I will honestly say, I have NEVER used crowns on a henchman during a boss fight in Azteca. I do not use crown gear. I do have a few crafted pieces of gear, but mostly I use gear I have found during a drop. I change gear according to the type of boss I am fighting. All my equipment for those types of fights are geared to resistances. It does little good to have high damage boost if you die because you can't overcome their attacks.

I do have a trick I use during the fights I solo. It does work because I have used it many times.

1) Make sure all your potion bottles are full.

2) When you enter the chamber/cave/room where the boss is, leave a mark.

3) Concentrate on defeating the minion(s).

4) If you kill even just one minion, and happen to die, drink a potion and IMMEDIATELY port back to your mark. You only have a very small time frame before the mark will become useless, so do not run around chasing wisps or waste time on a mini-game.

5) After porting back, place another mark. You will notice the minion you killed is no longer there. If you killed all the minions, the boss will be alone. If you killed the boss and ported back, the minions will be there. You will not get credit for the boss. This is why you must kill the minions first.

6) repeat these steps until A: you run out of potions or B: you kill boss.

This is EXACTLY how i got my level 88 myth spell, before KI made it easier. I had to kill the minions one at a time. It was a little time consuming, yet in the end I did get my spell.

Earlier today I fought the boss for the sun spells on my Balance wizard. I managed to kill both minions before the boss killed me. Once I ported back and the boss was alone, I was able to make short work of him.

I do hope this strategy helps.

Hannah Lifebringer level 86 Life
Hannah Legendstalker Level 90 Myth

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
There are some great guides for the school spell quests on Duelist101.com. Also, Mercs for hire are always around to help at wizard.mercenaries101.com.

Survivor
Sep 25, 2012
Hannah Lifebringer on Jan 7, 2013 wrote:
I have put these tips in another thread, but decided this way may help more people.

I have seen many complaints about the bosses being too hard in Azteca. Yes, they are difficult. What really angers me is when people tell others to use Henchmen. What sort of advice is that? People shouldn't have to PAY in order to defeat a boss to gain a spell or even to advance in the game.

I will honestly say, I have NEVER used crowns on a henchman during a boss fight in Azteca. I do not use crown gear. I do have a few crafted pieces of gear, but mostly I use gear I have found during a drop. I change gear according to the type of boss I am fighting. All my equipment for those types of fights are geared to resistances. It does little good to have high damage boost if you die because you can't overcome their attacks.

I do have a trick I use during the fights I solo. It does work because I have used it many times.

1) Make sure all your potion bottles are full.

2) When you enter the chamber/cave/room where the boss is, leave a mark.

3) Concentrate on defeating the minion(s).

4) If you kill even just one minion, and happen to die, drink a potion and IMMEDIATELY port back to your mark. You only have a very small time frame before the mark will become useless, so do not run around chasing wisps or waste time on a mini-game.

5) After porting back, place another mark. You will notice the minion you killed is no longer there. If you killed all the minions, the boss will be alone. If you killed the boss and ported back, the minions will be there. You will not get credit for the boss. This is why you must kill the minions first.

6) repeat these steps until A: you run out of potions or B: you kill boss.

This is EXACTLY how i got my level 88 myth spell, before KI made it easier. I had to kill the minions one at a time. It was a little time consuming, yet in the end I did get my spell.

Earlier today I fought the boss for the sun spells on my Balance wizard. I managed to kill both minions before the boss killed me. Once I ported back and the boss was alone, I was able to make short work of him.

I do hope this strategy helps.

Hannah Lifebringer level 86 Life
Hannah Legendstalker Level 90 Myth
Thanks for this tip! Been trying to defeat (I forget the bosses name now, Myth boss and 2 fire minions in Azteca) for over a week! Have no idea the number of attempts! Used this method and defeated them first try and only used one vial of potion! Again, Thank you very much!!! Do you know if this method will work if you go into a dungeon that you have to wait 10 seconds and will allow others to go in with you but you go in alone?

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
shadowears on Jan 23, 2013 wrote:
Thanks for this tip! Been trying to defeat (I forget the bosses name now, Myth boss and 2 fire minions in Azteca) for over a week! Have no idea the number of attempts! Used this method and defeated them first try and only used one vial of potion! Again, Thank you very much!!! Do you know if this method will work if you go into a dungeon that you have to wait 10 seconds and will allow others to go in with you but you go in alone?
Yes. This method also works in dungeons. I have used it countless times when i could find no one to help me, or if I just was too stubborn to ask for help.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 90 Life

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Hannah Lifebringer on Jan 24, 2013 wrote:
Yes. This method also works in dungeons. I have used it countless times when i could find no one to help me, or if I just was too stubborn to ask for help.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 90 Life
Hi Hannah Wonderful to see you here, and sharing your immense wisdom with other wizards.

Haha, I am often too stubborn to ask for help, and that usually leads me to good success, as I just refuse to quit. LOLZ, my Scarlet has become accustomed to ending battles with only double digit health. She's a scrappy fire wizard :D

Happy Day,

Qbb

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
The advice is excellent, and has been a feature of Wizard 101 since the beginning. I once took on the Sunken City dungeon solo before I was really ready for it, but after I got killed and ran back, discovered the ones I'd killed weren't there -- and that's always been a back pocket option for solo runners.

However, another strategy which can work (for Life, anyway), is what I did for the last 2/3 of Azteca: Run a spam deck.

I loaded up 6 Colossal, 6 Leprechaun, 6 Fairy, (and 6 Primordial once I'd learned that), and a Reshuffle. Balance Mastery amulet for efficiency on the Reshuffle. Sideboard: All TC Fairy from the Library. Sometimes I added 6 Sanctuary to the main deck, sometimes not.

My observation was, in my particular configuration, the biggest hit I took was about 2600 or so. So, the rules of combat were:

1) If Health under 2600, Fairy. From TC if one wasn't showing.
2) Otherwise, Leprechaun.
3) Reshuffle as needed.

With that configuration, I walked through the last 2/3 of Azteca, including my Level 88 quest, and never died again.

Balance with Life Mastery could probably do something similar. Not sure if another school has this option, experts in those schools would have to speak up on that. The key elements making this possible were having a fairly High starting Health, 100% power pips, and the ability to use those power pips on cheap heals, cheap hits, and a cheap Reshuffle.

Unfortunately, it turned Azteca into a formulaic area. It was simply a different formula than "Two Blades and a Fluffy (Forest Lord)". But I was so tired of the quests by that point that mindless formula is the only reason I was able to press on and complete it.

But incrementally killing your way through a boss battle is always an option in your back pocket, and it is nice to see someone remembering it.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm

Survivor
Mar 26, 2011
Thanks so much I was getting so desperate on my Aztecan star school quest My old strategy heal heal heal to stay alive then attack beat the minion(s) and take on the boss but doing this in multiple trips makes it a lot easier then to set up as many prisms as traps and blade as I can