Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

spells pets cast on thier own?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 02, 2012
Ok I am so lost on this I have a lot of pets,I have only trained two to adult,and none of them cast spells on thier own. or "may cast". How do you get your pet to do this?I have tried hatching to get a better more useful pet and i just keep getting the same pet over and over.I am ready to take all my pets to the pound and be done with it. Tired of watching these low lvl players who have pets that are actually usefull, Even more usefull than thier owners who port in on your battle and cant take one hit.

Mastermind
Jun 01, 2009
Saffron the Epic on Nov 25, 2012 wrote:
Ok I am so lost on this I have a lot of pets,I have only trained two to adult,and none of them cast spells on thier own. or "may cast". How do you get your pet to do this?I have tried hatching to get a better more useful pet and i just keep getting the same pet over and over.I am ready to take all my pets to the pound and be done with it. Tired of watching these low lvl players who have pets that are actually usefull, Even more usefull than thier owners who port in on your battle and cant take one hit.
You should try training a high pedigree pet. I only trained my brave hound to teen and he casts sprite spell all the time and really helps out. Try training a pet with like an ultra-rare talent. Find pets with good talents. If you train them a little they will cast great spells on their own and really help you out.

Jasmine Owltalon Myth, level 36 ( The one with the brave hound)
Vanessa Ghostsword life, level 13
See you in the spiral

Explorer
Sep 02, 2012
well thanks for the tip but, That doesnt really help.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Not every pet has a "may cast" ability, and some have more than one. I have a Cyclopse that doesnt cast anything, and a phoenix who has the OPTION to cast 3 different spells (altho I only have 2 of them currently). Even if you have a pet that has been given the "may cast" ability, there's no rhyme or reason as to when they do or dont. For instance, my phoenix, trained to level 5, has Fire Trap and Spritely.

Firetrap has been cast when I successfully cast spells (the only norm I can find), tho the spells arent always the same. Sometimes it's Efreet, a wand spell (and it doesnt have to be a fire school wand either), helephant, etc

As for Spritely, I've seen my phoenix cast it when:
1) An attack all spell is used and it cast spritely once
2) An attack all spell used and it cast spritely THREE times in one round (I'm not kidding)
3) When NO spell is cast, but a damage over time piece hits, it's cast it on me
4) When I've been hit with varying spells and it cast it once
5) When I've been hit with varying spells and it cast it twice

The MOST I've ever seen it cast in ONE battle (and one I died in believe it or not) is eight times. I had 8 swirling sprite spells and yes, I died big time lol Amazing what ONE enemy critical hit can do

I don't think there's any specific pattern, and when I get fireblade (when we can train higher than level 5) I might find a better pattern.

Explorer
Feb 12, 2011
I have just a couple things to add - first, if you have only trained 2 pets to adult then you have only scratched the surface of pet training. They have a total of 5 talents that can manifest, and you are only seeing the first 2. I have trained dozens of pets to ancient and epic just to have them fail and become another housing decoration.

Are the pets you are dealing with first generation or did you get them from hatching with other people? If they are first generation, then the wiki on central can tell you what talents each pet has available. You can check the natural talents of the pet and see if a may cast is even an option. you can find that here: www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Category:First_Generation_Pets (you can also look for the specific talent you want, and find out which pets have it as a first generation talent)

Another thing is to make sure the pets you ARE hatching with have already manifested the talents you want. This does not guarantee you will get what you want - but it will greatly increase the chances. Central also has a large pet mixing community with people who are willing to hatch to help others improve their pets. you can find that here: www.wizard101central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=146

Good luck and make sure to bring lots of patience - you will need it! On average I find it takes me at least 8-10 hatches to get the pet I want.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Saffron the Epic on Nov 25, 2012 wrote:
First of all your post is funny, I like your sense of humor - after the laugh about the pound and porting wizards I have this to say:

Training pets is a constant up hill battle if you don't learn the ins and outs of it all. First you must figure out what you want in the pet - don't set your sights to high at first. Then you need to find a pet capable of that talent, not all pets are created equally. Forget trying to get everything in one pet unless you have time to devote to that.

After you find a pet that can get the talent(s) you like train it up, you can now waste your time all the way to mega to get that talent and it may not get it at all. I have no patience with that, I train to adult and give the pet the boot and hatch over again. If you don't have crowns or garden or win pixie sticks from Mirror Lake be prepared to sink some boring time into this one.

The only requirement I have in a pet for may cast is Spritely. I solo quite a bit and I need that most of all in a pet - keep in mind not all pets cast this well either so I have had to work a while on getting the right pet that actually does cast Spritely enough.

I am one of the low lvl wizards running around with a useful pet because I have trained one for each one of my wizards on my higher level wizard and passed them to the shared bank for pick up but I won't port to you with out being able to take the hits, lol.

It helps to start by looking at the available pets from the lists at wiki
http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Category:First_Generation_Pets

Good Luck with that,
Mary