Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PVP Purpose

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 02, 2009
Hey, you guys! It's me, robb4321! Actually, I don't think I have posted on w101 yet, until now.
Any who, I've got a question. What's the point of PVP!?! I mean, I've been in pvp several times, and won about six times, and lost about twenty times. I'm not complaining or anything, but what the bleep blop!
I'm sorry for the language, but I get angry when I'm confused. Is the point of pvp to give level 80's and 90's a chance to rub in our faces how powerful they are? Because one time, I fought a 2v2 with my friend and two other unknown wizards, as usual. Well, the first wizard was only level 10, so they just survived off of the spells of the higher leveled life wizard, who was about levels 75-80.
I tried my best to duel with honor, like a knight of the silver rose, but the thaumaturge just kept talking smack to me! My friend got destroyed with a single gnome spell, and I got hammered down with forest lords, centaurs, gnomes, and insults! I only have the safety chat, but my friend talked to me over the phone, telling me everything. I didn't appreciate his poor sportsmanship one bit.
I hope you guys got my message, because the point is, I want my answer! What's the point of pvp? Is it to hurt my feelings?

Robert Dragonrider, the mythical puppet master.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Spiral emperor on Jan 26, 2013 wrote:
Hey, you guys! It's me, robb4321! Actually, I don't think I have posted on w101 yet, until now.
Any who, I've got a question. What's the point of PVP!?! I mean, I've been in pvp several times, and won about six times, and lost about twenty times. I'm not complaining or anything, but what the bleep blop!
I'm sorry for the language, but I get angry when I'm confused. Is the point of pvp to give level 80's and 90's a chance to rub in our faces how powerful they are? Because one time, I fought a 2v2 with my friend and two other unknown wizards, as usual. Well, the first wizard was only level 10, so they just survived off of the spells of the higher leveled life wizard, who was about levels 75-80.
I tried my best to duel with honor, like a knight of the silver rose, but the thaumaturge just kept talking smack to me! My friend got destroyed with a single gnome spell, and I got hammered down with forest lords, centaurs, gnomes, and insults! I only have the safety chat, but my friend talked to me over the phone, telling me everything. I didn't appreciate his poor sportsmanship one bit.
I hope you guys got my message, because the point is, I want my answer! What's the point of pvp? Is it to hurt my feelings?

I'm not a fan of PvP simply because it's not set up correctly and there are some horrendously bad losers out there.
To me PvP is something to do/watch when you're bored. Others play it more than the actual game.
It's optional. If you don't like it, don't play.

*It is good practice, or would be if set up correctly, for dueling.

Survivor
Mar 03, 2011

Well the point of pvp is not to insult people that's for sure.
However if anyone do that I mean you can report them simply by clicking on the report button.
And the point of pvp is to have fun once you hit high anough lvl so you can just relax and battle with other wizards.

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
Ok everybody, I guess I'm kind of overreacting. I don't think I should frustrate myself with something that I can't win, or just don't like. It is just for fun.

Sincerely,

Defender
Sep 29, 2008
This is why puppet teams should get taken away cause all they do is curse and talk smack about how good they can beat down lower ranks that they aren't even supposed to be facing let alone getting away with exploiting the system.

Survivor
Nov 14, 2012

Well pvp is something optional you can do. I find fun to go against other players and testing out my skills. It gets boring once you're done with the whole game and there is nothing else to do. As for the annoying name calling and stuff, that's something you can simply ignore lol. You don't have text chat so you don't have to worry about it anyways lol. You should really try pvp, it's fun .

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
Swaying Puppet on Feb 3, 2013 wrote:
Well pvp is something optional you can do. I find fun to go against other players and testing out my skills. It gets boring once you're done with the whole game and there is nothing else to do. As for the annoying name calling and stuff, that's something you can simply ignore lol. You don't have text chat so you don't have to worry about it anyways lol. You should really try pvp, it's fun .
I still don't appreciate the way they think they can just undermine me. You know what,now that I think about it, I find that I don't like the occasional uneven matching that's been going on. That stuff is making things more unfair than usual.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011

hello, robert~ first of all, i'm sorry these people were rude to you. for some reason, a lot of people don't feel good about themselves unless they're making you feel bad about yourself... so they tear you down to build themselves up. it isn't nice... but, since being mean is not reportable, all you can do is put them on ignore, so you don't have to see any rude comments from your opponents or the peanut gallery.

what you just described is called puppeting, in which a low-level wizard teams up with a level 50+ buddy to gain rank. it's common practice, a rules exploit, and highly frowned upon, but there is nothing ki can do about it under the current system.

(that's why i only play 1v1 now~ no chance of running into pvp puppets)

i have 3 wizards over level 50: as vonawesome, i have a level 90 balance, 84 death, and 64 storm. but the only one i use for pvp is my level 17 pyromancer, the baby of my main account's wizarding family. i head to the arena when i need a break from cheating bosses,monotonous did-not-collect quests, and all the blippity-plop-bop that goes on in celestia and beyond... believe it or not, it makes my other characters more proficient in pve.

pvp was created for wizards to hone their skills against each other. unfortunately, it's mostly known for taunting and unsportsmanlike conduct~ more than once, i've fought in matches where my opponent brought in friends just to taunt from the sidelines; it was extremely irritating, so i just put them on ignore, but i'm a big girl... if this is how people treat me, i can't imagine what they do to those who are new. and what's trivial to me might not be so trivial to a 10-year-old; i don't know your age, but i imagine it's a lot harder to hear those things when you're young... no one likes to be made fun of.

unfortunately, winning does not exempt you from taunts and hurtful comments. in fact, i just got called a "noob tc user" after i beat someone with his own school's spell~ i replied politely, thanked him for a good game, and left. because it really was a good game... he was a formidable adversary, but couldn't handle losing and his bad attitude was what killed the mood for me.

i hope you don't let a couple of not-so-nice players ruin your experience.

-von/angela nightflame
corporal, non-evil occasional pvp'er of amazing amazingness. ;)