Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is Skyscream still the best set?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 03, 2010
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if the Skycream set is still the best storm gear once you have achieved level 90?

Thanks!

Explorer
Dec 28, 2010
no azteca crafted gear is beast and has better stats

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
lordfuzzywubbums on Jan 10, 2013 wrote:
no azteca crafted gear is beast and has better stats
Besides damage, but yes survival right now is important so go with the Azteca crafted gear.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
AlterEgo007 on Jan 2, 2013 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if the Skycream set is still the best storm gear once you have achieved level 90?

Thanks!
depends on whether your wizard is an offensive or defensive player.

waterworks gear is still the best available, for all schools. if you already have your set, mix and match it with boss drops, crowns gear, etc. until you find a combination that works for you. i have 3 wizards in full or partial ww gear... closest you can get to it is the wintertusk crafted gear my storm wizard is wearing, and she'll probably wear it until she finally gets her skyscream robe... if she ever gets it. lol.

from zafaria onward, crafted gear is iffy at best (for all schools). you gain loads of critical, but lose resist, damage, and block. not worth it, imo.

-von
promethean sorceress, archmage necromancer, legendary diviner, & the rest.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Ok i have seen quite a few people still thinking that the ww gear is appropriate to wear so i figured i will try to give some input.
Ill give fire ww stats for now.
WW gear
Hood- hp 240,acuracy 6,dmg 16 ,resist 9 ,crit 77 ,block 0, health in 5.
Cape- hp 340, acu 8 , dmg 18 , resist 12 , crit 37 , block 13 ,in 5.
Boots- hp 120 , acu 5 , dmg 14 , res 8 , crit 0 ,block 27 ,health in 5.
Totals- hp 700,Accu 19,Dmg 48,res 29,crit 114,Block 40,health in 15

But this doesnt give the block or resist needed now. And the crit rate is almost useless from avalon on due to the mobs high block rate. Also the 15% health in is not worth losing other stats for.WW gear doesnt give the pip advantage either. For fire i suggest looking into other options such as the pyro or salamander gear an also the gear from packs is good mixed with crafted gear and there is alot of good stuff at the bazaar if you take the time to look for it. Remember to mix it up till you find what your build needs then stitch it for looks.
If you look around there is far better gear in the spiral than to conform to thinking in the past.

Explorer
Dec 28, 2010
Dr Von on Jan 11, 2013 wrote:
depends on whether your wizard is an offensive or defensive player.

waterworks gear is still the best available, for all schools. if you already have your set, mix and match it with boss drops, crowns gear, etc. until you find a combination that works for you. i have 3 wizards in full or partial ww gear... closest you can get to it is the wintertusk crafted gear my storm wizard is wearing, and she'll probably wear it until she finally gets her skyscream robe... if she ever gets it. lol.

from zafaria onward, crafted gear is iffy at best (for all schools). you gain loads of critical, but lose resist, damage, and block. not worth it, imo.

-von
promethean sorceress, archmage necromancer, legendary diviner, & the rest.
lies lol i have 204 block 270 critical 3500 health 9 incoming health 16 outgoing health 93 damage 28 resist 22 accuracy what storm wouldnt be jealous?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
lordfuzzywubbums on Jan 11, 2013 wrote:
lies lol i have 204 block 270 critical 3500 health 9 incoming health 16 outgoing health 93 damage 28 resist 22 accuracy what storm wouldnt be jealous?
i'm sure some might be. but you didn't mention what gear you were wearing or what kind of pet you have.

health: 2432
mana: 524

damage +85%
resist +27% universal
accuracy +25%
130 critical
68 block
incoming heal +14%

my stats are almost equal to yours, and sestiva is level 64.

gear

skyscream cap
chief's garb of the gale (wt crafted)
skyscream or thunderstrike boots
juniper staff
bear's claw of storm
amethyst ring of battle
shango's stormblade amulet

pet: starfish with sprite, proof, pips, and mana.
(i also have a tailstorm pantera (boosts critical) and spark beast with an extra 5% to damage).

-

note that our stats are almost equal, and i am level 64.

my balance wizard is the crafter~ i made some of the avalon crafted gear for her, and it was awful; from what i've seen of az, the gear there isn't much better.

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
Dr Von on Jan 12, 2013 wrote:
i'm sure some might be. but you didn't mention what gear you were wearing or what kind of pet you have.

health: 2432
mana: 524

damage +85%
resist +27% universal
accuracy +25%
130 critical
68 block
incoming heal +14%

my stats are almost equal to yours, and sestiva is level 64.

gear

skyscream cap
chief's garb of the gale (wt crafted)
skyscream or thunderstrike boots
juniper staff
bear's claw of storm
amethyst ring of battle
shango's stormblade amulet

pet: starfish with sprite, proof, pips, and mana.
(i also have a tailstorm pantera (boosts critical) and spark beast with an extra 5% to damage).

-

note that our stats are almost equal, and i am level 64.

my balance wizard is the crafter~ i made some of the avalon crafted gear for her, and it was awful; from what i've seen of az, the gear there isn't much better.
How is that almost equal.

Comparison

block= 204 - 68 = 136 difference
crit= 270-130 = 140 difference
health= 3500-2432= 1068 difference
heal in=9 - 14 = you have 5 higher
heal out=16-0 = 16 difference
damage= 93 - 85= 8 difference
resist = 28 - 27= 1 difference
accuracy = 22 - 25 = you have 3 higher

Equal stats.......... their stats out weigh you in all except heal in and accuracy.
There is no almost in the comparison with block,crit,health,heal out.

Explorer
Feb 22, 2011
I am still using my Skyscream gear at 90. However, I mostly dual box with my life character so I run mostly a fragile monster storm. My stats and gear are:

2875 Health, 520 Mana, 109 storm damage boost, 26 uni resist, 22 accuracy, 154 storm crit, 117 uni block, 68% pip

gear: WW gear, amethyst ring, brutal ice arrow rod, rainy season spike, shango stormblade amulet, storm caiman's pyramid deck

pet: mega ianthine hound with pain bringer, pain giver, storm dealer, storm giver, and balanceblade (card).

I have the deep water rising ring, but the drop in pp% and the crit block loss with the damage increase was a little too much for me. The amethyst was a compromise between the deep water and the aureate, for me.

There is probably better gear/pets out there, but this works for me.

Outside of Azteca, I use the sidhe staff and the deep water rising (if I remember to change), trading off crit block for pp%.

Good luck!

:)