Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

disgruntled player

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 09, 2012
had a nicely worded, constructive post but it was eaten by "an error" of the forums, so here is the abridged version

i have 20k crowns...i am going to cash them in tomorrow. if i get a permanent deer knight i continue playing, if i do not i cancel my sub and my 2 kids' subs. if you'd like an explanation fix your forum software...or just fix the game...either way. it was fun until celestia. you can see my acct. info, tag it for a deer knight or 3 paying accounts go away tomorrow. i'm sure you'll do nothing and not care but neither did everquest(which was good) and plenty of other games which werent as good. is the mmo gaming employment scene that robust? we'll find out tomorrow.

just as you will say "so what its just 3 accts" i say "so whats its just another bad gaming experience i'll be sure to tell my friends about"...

en lieu of a permanent deer knight from crowns, i will accept confirmation that Deer Knight will be made available as a quested spell for all death knights in the next patch.

fix the game. why change the entire game at celestia? too much success? here's a clue, the "hardcore" crowd ain't staying regardless...cater your game to your original market and live...or get your resume straightened up...either way...

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Death Jawgoat on Oct 18, 2012 wrote:
had a nicely worded, constructive post but it was eaten by "an error" of the forums, so here is the abridged version

i have 20k crowns...i am going to cash them in tomorrow. if i get a permanent deer knight i continue playing, if i do not i cancel my sub and my 2 kids' subs. if you'd like an explanation fix your forum software...or just fix the game...either way. it was fun until celestia. you can see my acct. info, tag it for a deer knight or 3 paying accounts go away tomorrow. i'm sure you'll do nothing and not care but neither did everquest(which was good) and plenty of other games which werent as good. is the mmo gaming employment scene that robust? we'll find out tomorrow.

just as you will say "so what its just 3 accts" i say "so whats its just another bad gaming experience i'll be sure to tell my friends about"...

en lieu of a permanent deer knight from crowns, i will accept confirmation that Deer Knight will be made available as a quested spell for all death knights in the next patch.

fix the game. why change the entire game at celestia? too much success? here's a clue, the "hardcore" crowd ain't staying regardless...cater your game to your original market and live...or get your resume straightened up...either way...
I'm sorry you feel that way, but I think you're overreacting~ threatening to quit the game over a chance-to-get that's clearly advertised as such, is a bit melodramatic.

First off, you only ever had a very slim chance at the permanent spell. You were made aware of this before purchasing, as it appears on the website in numerous places; most every aspect of this game (boss drops, hatching, the Bazaar, etc...) is based on luck, and hoard packs are no exception. Your odds of getting an epic item (ie: permanent spells, limited edition mounts/pets, etc) are 5% or less, and they reset every time you buy a pack; therefore, you are not guaranteed a spell, no matter how many packs you buy. You aren't paying for the spell~ you're paying for a chance to get it, just like everyone else; therefore, KI will not compensate you in any way.

Secondly, the permanent version of Deer Knight is a craftable spell, but it takes a lot of farming rare reagents and effort~ either pay the fine or do the time, so to speak. Just wanted you to know that you have options.

-

I do agree with your other point, though~ as a casual (and relatively-new) gamer, I find that the jump in difficulty post-Celestia is staggering. From thereon in, Wiz is geared toward more "hardcore" gamers, and the casual fan-base has been left in the dust... I love this game, but my patience for cheating bosses and dungeons that require job-length hours is wearing quite thin.

Wherever you end up, happy & safe travels!

-veebz
archmages Shadowsong & Deathwhisper

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Personally I think the feed back around these spells has been on going and has made a lot of people disappointed. Granted I did farm a bit on my Myth for the Pig spell but during that time I realized it was silliness and walked away from it, never to look back. I was really annoyed when my Ice got it during my run though there questing because, of course, I don't use it on that wizard so it sits in her spells wasted on the wrong school wizard. I have taken several wizard schools though the game with out these spells and never missed them.

After seeing how disappointed my grandson was in not getting what he wanted out of the packs I am glad he has moved on to another game so I don't have to deal with that any more. I hate chance to get so I don't buy packs or do much of anything in the game that doesn't net me a sure thing. The few crowns I do buy now go to stitch a wizards final out fit - when I delete the wizard the gear gets stored in the shared bank for the next of that school to use.

As for the game it self I totally agree with KI trying to please all here. The casual does end in DragonSprye and the slog feasting starts. Altho I have taken one wizard though the game I don't think I will do it again in fact with leveling here and there I have no problem just getting to level 60 so they can don the crafted Wintertusk gear at lvl 56 and have the level 58 pet and spell to enter Celestia but never fight there.

Altho I probably will never delete my first wizard the rest now seem temporary, I have deleted several and restarted again. The first worlds thru Mooshu are more my speed of stress free. Once you have to start to do all the math on how to make your wizard a fighter to survive the fun gets sucked right out of it.

Defender
Aug 07, 2011
Frankly, I'm against any skill like a spell or gardening or crafting being so next to impossible to acquire. The amber drop is ridiculous and becoming more so. My Life was helping my Balance wizard out in Mooshu and my Life got dropped the Samoorai spell which she does use but I'm still wondering why my Balance wasn't the one to get the Balance spell. Were they hoping I'd buy a Balance mastery amulet now that she's not using her Myth spells much any more because the secondary schools stop at such a low level. I don't think so. There should be one of these for every school and it should be the next one you learn from your school's teacher.

I agree that there is far too much luck of the draw in the game. It's annoying. I'm just about quitting crafting and gardening in disgust. I would spend money on good crown gear but the crown gear for high level wizards stinks. Doesn't even have crit block at a level where you need crit block because all the bosses critical. Are you kidding me? Why would I buy this, KI? Crit block is much more important than critical in Zafaria and Avalon because the bosses all crit block anyway. I'd like to be able to also.

And, yes, I like Zafaria and love Avalon (Celestia, I detest) but enough with cheating bosses and having to figure out their cheats and a way around them. I just want simple fun. Battles I don't need to stack a special deck for because it's got to be rearranged for a cheating boss.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011

Seriously, cancel a membership for buying a pack YOU chose to buy? No one is forcing you to buy them. Sigh...

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
I think anyone who makes a post like this.....good riddance. There were far better ways to word your ire. Sadly, you took the "low road".

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
I feel your pain man. My son probably burnt through a good 200000 crowns at least trying to get that spell and he still doesnt have it. You are definately kicking a dead horse here with complaining though Trust me.

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
Give me what I want or else? That is such a mature response to the situation.

Deer Knight is an incredibly rare drop from that card pack. I've seen people spend far more crowns than 20,000 to get a Rare drop from a pack, and deer knight is an Epic drop. An adult would either do without the spell or look for alternative methods of getting it if they did not want to spend additional crowns. Currently you are able to craft the spell, it takes time and patience, and not really too much gold once you are at the crafting level. Most of the materials used in crafting the spell can be gained from gardening, so I suggest if you want to act the age you implied you are, you should start gardening now.

Happy gardening :)

Tatiana Winterheart

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Well i know its supposed to be extremely rare but i have heard of a few thats got it within the first 3 packs bought. Normally i would say this is random but if 3 of my friends got it withing 3 packs thats not a coinsidense anymore. The drop rate on it needs adjusted.

Survivor
Jun 26, 2009
I feel for the original guy who posted this message. I'm not a Crowns player or a Pack buyer, just a yearly subscriber who purchased crowns once. My membership is just fine with me and I don't get all crazy about Crown players having better gear or mounts or anything, until yesterday when I saw a friend of mine wearing a robe that actually saps/robs power/strength/whatever from people on his friends list. I can't tell you what the robe was called or exactly how it works, but I can tell you that I put him on ignore and he will be deleted from my friend list within a couple days. I don't want him getting power I earned! Maybe I misunderstood the robe description in the heat of battle, but I doubt it.

Anyway, my own rant aside. Never forget that while we think of this as a game that we enjoy, it is all business with KI. We are their profit center so if someone buys 5 packs looking for a deer knight that is rare, KI is thinking, "Can we get him to buy 10 packs?" So that guy reached his threshold and left, but others won't. That's what keeps the game alive and bringing in the money to KI.

Survivor
Jul 28, 2012
Sorry for your woes. But there is only one tried and true method for getting any craftable spell, and that is to invest an insane amount of time and effort in gardening. Currently it takes months, yes, months to get the necessary amber to craft one spell. The only shortcut is if you dump a ton of crowns on king parsley seed an energy elixirs then grow absolutely massive stacked gardens because they take forever to get to elder and the drop rate is horrid. Even then in the best case scenario you are looking at a month of using all your green energy gardening and making sure it's needs are met 2x a day. As for the treasure cards, your best bet is to trade for them on the central forum.

I hope it will be a looong time before I ever have to craft another spell.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010

you can always craft this spell thats what i had to do. I never got the spell and I spent over 180k in crowns on that specific pack. Did i quit? Nope. I did put my w101 account to non sub to play p101 though since there is nothing to do in w101 at this point. I don't want to waste 25-35 hours a week for what 2 new pets that will more than likely fail after doing mirror lake run after mirror lake run LOL :) At least with p101 there is not this pet issue.

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
Neela Waterwraith on Oct 23, 2012 wrote:
I feel for the original guy who posted this message. I'm not a Crowns player or a Pack buyer, just a yearly subscriber who purchased crowns once. My membership is just fine with me and I don't get all crazy about Crown players having better gear or mounts or anything, until yesterday when I saw a friend of mine wearing a robe that actually saps/robs power/strength/whatever from people on his friends list. I can't tell you what the robe was called or exactly how it works, but I can tell you that I put him on ignore and he will be deleted from my friend list within a couple days. I don't want him getting power I earned! Maybe I misunderstood the robe description in the heat of battle, but I doubt it.

Anyway, my own rant aside. Never forget that while we think of this as a game that we enjoy, it is all business with KI. We are their profit center so if someone buys 5 packs looking for a deer knight that is rare, KI is thinking, "Can we get him to buy 10 packs?" So that guy reached his threshold and left, but others won't. That's what keeps the game alive and bringing in the money to KI.
Think you misunderstood what the robe does. If you could post the name of it, we should be able to tell you what it actually does.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Neela Waterwraith on Oct 23, 2012 wrote:

You definitely misunderstood the description here, as there is no spell in existence that allows you to take anything from friends or teammates. I'm thinking you saw the Crowns gear with an Empower or Sacrifice card attached, because I've seen those recently as well.

Empower~ caster takes 300 Death damage for 3 pips.
Sacrifice~ caster takes 250 Death damage for 700 HP: this is a heal, and can be used on you or a teammate.

You may also be confusing the card with Donate Power~ this is a Balance spell, which allows the caster to donate 3 pips to a friend or teammate while in battle. If the card you saw was called something along the lines of "sap health" or "draw power", those are usable on minions only~ these allow the caster to sacrifice his or her minion for pips or health.

-

Back on topic... I thoroughly enjoy hoard packs, but I know my limit and always stay within it. If you can't do the same, you have a problem and probably shouldn't be buying them in the first place; might I suggest locking up your wallet and giving your cards to someone you trust.

Historian
Aug 10, 2009

I find your post rather silly.... If I was KI I would have just deleted your accounts for you...

I crafted the deer knight spell. Spent days and weeks getting amber and when I finally did it was such an awesome feeling!! My death gal uses it almost every fight and I am so greatful that it was hard to get/craft. It is like a badge of honor.

But to sit there and not only rant but threaten KI is just in poor taste.

Ellie

Survivor
Jul 31, 2010

That's a bit melodramatic to quit a perfectly fun gaming experience because you didn't get one spell. I have spent over 300,000 in crowns at a "chance" to get the Deer Knight Spell. I got the Ice and Storm spell but sadly, not the death spell. I am a death wizard and have no use for the other spells. That doesn't alter the fact that I love playing the game and am willing to plod along and try to craft the spell, which, in itself, is a mountain to climb. I've even tried rallying for getting the reagents amber and merle's whisker buyable and sellable in the bazaar to better my odds. It's a small "have not" for all the other "haves" the game offers.