Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Death mistreated

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
My title seems to sound like i am whining, but everyone in game seems to take Death school as something evil.
In my opinion, the only evil thing about death is that it just so happens to be the type of magic that Malistaire, the Necromaster, uses.
So what if we animate the dead?
So what if our colors are a little dark?
You guys ignite things on fire.
You guys freeze things solid.
You guys summon one-eyed minions (what is that even about 0_0)
My point.
People always say, why are you death? thats so evil
Take Dworgyn at the death school for example.
He is actually pretty nice, i see no reason for people to assume that he is evil.
When put to Professor Cyrus Drake, Dworgyn and the death students might as well go hand out free candy.
I hope i have made my point about this (i probably did after the first paragrah, but i like to emphasize =D) and have cleared up any thoughts that we death students are "evil".
Seriously.

Death + = Does not compute Death + :D = Good!

Survivor
Dec 11, 2008
Survivor
May 03, 2009
Survivor
Jun 03, 2009
I agree with you.Where not evil and I don't get why people are sorry for us.I mean that just because are teacher is evil it dousn't mean that we are suposed to be the same as him It's like if a girl calls a boy something like dumb it dousn't automaticly make all the girls evil. Hey,I just got an idea.Why not on August 2 at 2:00 p.m we meet at the entrance to Nightside to see how we can spread the word that Death is not evil. I'll meet you there.By the way,if you didn't know,the entrance to Nightside is behind the waterfall in wizard city,close to the entrance to Unicorn Way.Group up as many death friends as possible! many Mary Dreamshade Level 20 Death Wizard 8)

Survivor
Jul 16, 2009
I agree even though I am a Life Wizard in my group the rest of it is death i think they are not evil at all and more misunderstood. Their attacks are strong from what I've seen death seems to be a good Power to me. :)

Survivor
Dec 05, 2008
DrWorm64 wrote:
I agree even though I am a Life Wizard in my group the rest of it is death i think they are not evil at all and more misunderstood. Their attacks are strong from what I've seen death seems to be a good Power to me. :)
I agree (even though i'm balance) I have several powerful friends that are death and I can't count how many times they saved me

Survivor
May 13, 2009
Death and darkness in general is a interesting thing. Like all things, it can be good or evil depending on the user. Death can also be a scary thing because it is something we know little about even though it is as much a part of nature as anything else.
Main reason I picked Death was because it was as close to a Darkness power I could find since I modeled my avatar after my favorite OC: Gabriel Perire, hence my avatar's name Gabriel Duskeyes.

Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
I agree :P I'm a Necromancer myself, and the type of magic you use shouldn't be used to judge your character, right? Personally, Death is my favorite of all the classes ... I don't know if it's because we have Nightside as our own personal school instead of just a little building in Ravenwood or because of the colors and spell benefits, but Death rocks!

-Scarlet Angelbane

Delver
Jun 16, 2009
I am a death student and I agree with dreadskull.

Death is not a bad school of magic, i find it interesting.

I don't like it when other people think necromancers follow Malistair because he was once our teacher, but look at Dworgyn, he's really nice, he's not evil.

And our school colors, yes dreadskull I agree it's our colors, black and white, well what else are we gonna do, pink and purple?

That's just my opinion.

~Natalie Moonblade

Survivor
Feb 05, 2010
I'm not here to start a debate nor to flame anyone. I simply haven't seen many people offering the opposite view.

I simply don't like scary things. I never watch horror movies. I never ride on roller coasters. It's just not my thing. I don't understand what is entertaining about being afraid. Now, that alone does not make death magic a bad thing. It's simply my preference and does not prevent a company from putting that into a game. Let's consider children, though. This is a kids' game that is intended for even the youngest of children. As you can understand, since my personal opinion is that I dislike death and horror, I wouldn't want my children to start using it as entertainment, either (if I had any). What bothers me is not that death magic is in a video game. I play other games that have death magic. Those games are not for children, though. For someone with my personal views about death and horror, this game would seem to be a bad influence on children. I can understand if someone simply does not see death and horror that way. I simply ask that people respect the views of those that do. (No, I'm not trying to imply anything about anyone in this thread.)

Thanks for reading.

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2009
dreadskull wrote:
My title seems to sound like i am whining, but everyone in game seems to take Death school as something evil.
In my opinion, the only evil thing about death is that it just so happens to be the type of magic that Malistaire, the Necromaster, uses.
My point.
He is actually pretty nice, i see no reason for people to assume that he is evil.
When put to Professor Cyrus Drake, Dworgyn and the death students might as well go hand out free candy.
I hope i have made my point about this (i probably did after the first paragrah, but i like to emphasize =D) and have cleared up any thoughts that we death students are "evil".
Seriously.

Sorry, I don't mean to offend any death wizards, but in my opinion Necromancy is truly an evil art. The spells Necromancers use include stealing from others and bringing the dead back to life, and that upsets the natural order of things. They aren't at rest as they should be. These are some of the reasons that I don't like death magic. I just think it's wrong. I'm not saying that all Necromancers are evil, but that Necromancy itself is evil. I know it's just a game, but that's what I think.

Defender
Dec 17, 2008
I personally don't think death is "evil" just that it invokes that reaction in people. When you think about it, death what happens when life finishes, it has no evil connotations about it. Also, think about Frankenstein's creature. It was made from parts of dead people, and reanimated, but it wasn't evil at all. A little ugly looking, and definitely socially awkward, but not evil.
Death is just what the school was called because it fit that description of dead things.
Also, if Necromancers were truly evil then their story line should be different than all the rest of the school where they follow in Malistaire Drake's footsteps and join his side.
So, in essence, I agree with you dreadskull (though your name does sound s bit evil). I do not believe that Necromancy and the death school is "evil" at all.

Survivor
Feb 05, 2010
The type of death magic featured in the game is the issue. Corpses are raised from the dead as zombies to fight for the necromancer. This is clearly disrespectful to the dead. Many cultures consider any disrespect for the dead to be immoral and evil. It is an opinion... but it's a very established one. If the game had simply shown ghosts appearing and causing trouble by scaring people, then you wouldn't see as many complaints about it. I don't think it's right for people to go around labeling necromancers as evil, but I think it's at least understandable. I don't think this kind of content should be in a children's game.

Defender
Dec 17, 2008
Barujin wrote:
I don't think this kind of content should be in a children's game.

I think that some people over exaggerate a little too much. It's just a game and it's aimed at children for a reason. This game is not going to cause children to believe that they themselves could bring a skeleton to life with their wand/staff/sword/nutcracker/candle/stick/stick with a heart on the end of it/etc.... If this game does anything, it's creating an active imagination in children, which is a good thing. There is nothing evil about dead people, and since bringing the dead back to life is impossible, I don't see how the thought of it could hurt anyone. Also, this whole thing about disrespect to dead people is strictly cultural, meaning that it is taught and is not necessarily a truth.
I personally believe that dead people are dead, no longer people, just inanimate objects, a shell of what a person once was. There is no disrespecting something that has no respect to begin with.
This is just like the whole Harry Potter thing. Parents didn't allow their children to read Harry Potter books because it dealt with Witchcraft, something that was supposedly "against their culture." I don't see how anyone could discourage a child from reading anything. Reading is good, and if it sparks their child's interest, it's even better!
My opinion on this whole matter? Sit back and enjoy the game, even with its falsely "evil" elements. Get over it! It's just a game! It's not going to turn your children into some kind of death-loving zombie, because, if you follow the story-line, you would see that good prevails over evil. One day, even the Pope will be playing Wizard101 as a NECROMANCER! Lol, probably not, but still, it could happen :)

Survivor
Feb 05, 2010
@matvince90

Trying to make everyone who disagrees with you sound like a fanatic is not going to change the way they feel nor is going to make you right and them wrong. Respect the way others believe.

Defender
Jan 03, 2009
I agree, though death is not my kind of school it is still denounced a lot. :? :x

Survivor
Dec 14, 2009
dreadskull wrote:
My point.
Seriously.

yeah! what if malistair was myth....would they think myth is evil?

Survivor
Dec 14, 2009
DarkStorm824 wrote:
I am a death student and I agree with dreadskull.

Death is not a bad school of magic, i find it interesting.

I don't like it when other people think necromancers follow Malistair because he was once our teacher, but look at Dworgyn, he's really nice, he's not evil.

And our school colors, yes dreadskull I agree it's our colors, black and white, well what else are we gonna do, pink and purple?

That's just my opinion.

~Natalie Moonblade

ha ha..i can only image that....make me lol every time!

Delver
Dec 26, 2009
Everyone, this guy brought out a point. So what if you think it's evil! Death School just has strange spells that look nasty! Looks don't count it's just very violent!

Defender
Dec 17, 2008
Barujin wrote:
@matvince90

Trying to make everyone who disagrees with you sound like a fanatic is not going to change the way they feel nor is going to make you right and them wrong. Respect the way others believe.

I'm not disrespecting anyone, or at least not trying to. I'm just trying to get people to open their eyes to the real world and help them step out of the little box they've locked themselves in.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
Barujin wrote:
I'm not here to start a debate nor to flame anyone. I simply haven't seen many people offering the opposite view.

I simply don't like scary things. I never watch horror movies. I never ride on roller coasters. It's just not my thing. I don't understand what is entertaining about being afraid. Now, that alone does not make death magic a bad thing. It's simply my preference and does not prevent a company from putting that into a game. Let's consider children, though. This is a kids' game that is intended for even the youngest of children. As you can understand, since my personal opinion is that I dislike death and horror, I wouldn't want my children to start using it as entertainment, either (if I had any). What bothers me is not that death magic is in a video game. I play other games that have death magic. Those games are not for children, though. For someone with my personal views about death and horror, this game would seem to be a bad influence on children. I can understand if someone simply does not see death and horror that way. I simply ask that people respect the views of those that do. (No, I'm not trying to imply anything about anyone in this thread.)

Thanks for reading.

I do agree with you here. Apparently like yourself, I don't see the amazing joy that others seem to find when you get the living daylights scared out of you from some horror movie. In my opinion, its like paying someone to sneak up on you sometime during the day when you aren't expecting it and to scare you out of your wits. However, I DO like most roller coasters, but thats besides the point.

Survivor
May 23, 2009
Ok, dreadskull, I'm totally with you (even though i'm life) and for all those people who don't like death, think of it this way, everyone likes life right? Ok, heres how i think death is just undead life. i hope every body understands me now.

Survivor
May 23, 2009
Barujin wrote:

Thanks for reading.
Ok, i tottaly understand that you don't like horror or death but, what if children like death or they just don't like the other schools OR they think death is the strongest class. That's all i have to say :?

Delver
Jun 16, 2009
Wow.
Really?
You actually think death spells are "violent"? Seriously...
I'd like to see one of you call death violent or that it is not child-appropriate, I swear I'll roll on the floor laughing.
You actually think that Wizard101's DEATH is violent?
Go watch and look at some other things that are adult content, now compare it to Wizard101? Which is more violent and frightening? The adult content, correct?
I'm pretty sure all parents have checked the game rating which is "E-10" before letting their child on Wizard101.
I have a question for you who think that death content should not be put in Wizard101. Why? Are you getting mad over pixels? How about we kick the death school out and move in the school of butterflies?
If you think this game is bad, then don't let your child play! It's as simple as that! You don't need to cry about it here!

Explorer
Feb 26, 2009
Barujin wrote:

Thanks for reading.

What are you talking about? Death isnt scary, I mean, sure we are a little dark, but I have noticed that many of the most caring people in the game are death wizards! And death students tend to be very funny as well, we may have a spooky exterior, but many of my fellow death students are as caring as life students are supposed to be! I was in ravenwood once on my death wizard, and I started having a nice conversation with two girls there, suddenly one of them started telling her friend. "Oh my gosh! She is a death wizard!" I asked what was going on, and the girl ran of making remarks on how gothic and stupid death students where. I then asked her friend, and she said that they thought death wizards where evil and stupid, then she ran off.
I personally hate when people bash us and steriotype us because of how we look and such. We are NOT evil, and we are NOT stupid zombies.

Fiona Starcatcher.
Grandmaster Necromancer.
(And her pet wraith Jessie who WILL find anyone who doesnt like death)