Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A final word on Judgement

AuthorMessage
Defender
Feb 03, 2009
The reason Balance does not have a shield is because...

1. Balance does not have a DoT(Damage over Time).

Ice has a DoT
Storm has a DoT
Death has a DoT
Fire has a DoT
Myth can destroy all shields at once.
Life can heal through damage.
DoT's give a school the ability to remove school specific shields and keep them removed for up to three rounds. Balance has nothing like this.

2. All of Balance buffs are generic.

Any damage spell cast from the Balance wizard will activate them. As opposed to the common technique of carrying an off school wand to get through Tower Shields or burn off Weaknesses but leave your school specific buffs in place.

3. Judgment uses ALL of a Balance Wizards pips.

This is actually a HUGE disadvantage in a Duel.

In conclusion, Balance doesn't have any tricks like DoT's, Stuns, Life-Stealing, Absorption, Healing, or even a Decent World effect spell. Balance has one thing. Judgment. A spell that's telegraphed from a mile away, a spell that can be sliced in half with a Tower Shield, a spell that can be quartered with a Weakness, a Spell that can be brunted with a Spirit Armor. There is nothing special about this spell other than it has no Specific Shield to stop it. It doesn't need one. If Judgment is giving you problems in PvP then you....

A. Haven't reached level 50 yet.
or
B. Can't grasp the concept of PvP in this game.

Please, enough griping about Judgment.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
your right but you can still get a second school and a balance usually picks death so its alittle hard for people just now getting in to the whole pvp thing to fight against balance but other than that i agree

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
lilslifer wrote:
your right but you can still get a second school and a balance usually picks death so its alittle hard for people just now getting in to the whole pvp thing to fight against balance but other than that i agree

yeah right, most i seen pick ice and life, this way they can out last people even better, this way they have shields for every school and 2nd and 3rd shields for the stronger of the 7, ice shields - fire and storm/ tower - all . life - death and myth / healing
so dont group us like that, it's like saying all guy wizard are warlocks(evil male wizards) which isnt true

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
People should stop whining about judgment. I mean come on, it's the only thing that keeps balance competitive. If someone can make top 100 using spectral blast and hydra, then by golly they are the greatest duelists of all time!!!!

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
Dridsuzy wrote:
The reason Balance does not have a shield is because...

1. Balance does not have a DoT(Damage over Time).

Ice has a DoT
Storm has a DoT
Death has a DoT
Fire has a DoT
Myth can destroy all shields at once.
Life can heal through damage.
DoT's give a school the ability to remove school specific shields and keep them removed for up to three rounds. Balance has nothing like this.

2. All of Balance buffs are generic.

Any damage spell cast from the Balance wizard will activate them. As opposed to the common technique of carrying an off school wand to get through Tower Shields or burn off Weaknesses but leave your school specific buffs in place.

3. Judgment uses ALL of a Balance Wizards pips.

This is actually a HUGE disadvantage in a Duel.

In conclusion, Balance doesn't have any tricks like DoT's, Stuns, Life-Stealing, Absorption, Healing, or even a Decent World effect spell. Balance has one thing. Judgment. A spell that's telegraphed from a mile away, a spell that can be sliced in half with a Tower Shield, a spell that can be quartered with a Weakness, a Spell that can be brunted with a Spirit Armor. There is nothing special about this spell other than it has no Specific Shield to stop it. It doesn't need one. If Judgment is giving you problems in PvP then you....

A. Haven't reached level 50 yet.
or
B. Can't grasp the concept of PvP in this game.

Please, enough griping about Judgment.

I almost agree with you but don't forget that not having a school specific shield is a HUGE advantage. A lot of people dont have tower shields and weaknesses only go so far. I am a pyromancer who up until now could not kill balance guys since i had no weaknesses or tower shields, I had to change that. Yet still they are very difficult to beat, more difficult than any other opponent 1v1. I guess i just wanted to speak my mind on the matter, I dont think anything should be changed, well at least concerning to this particular subject. Balance people are easy to dispatch in team battles since they heal very little and are used primarily as buffers. They are weaker in team match but strong in the 1v1, that sounds about fair to me.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2009
EDIT: forget that last thing that i said i never read the thread, sorry.

i say judgement is fine, people just whine about it because they can't get it. If you can't beat em, join em! that's why i created my balance wizard.

you gotta remember tower shields and weaknesses can easily be negated by those minor missle spells.

Defender
May 29, 2009

It's not so much Judgement as it is Judgement combined with feint. Or Orthrus/Wildbolt/etc. combined with feint. That's where the real damage comes into play that is difficult to defend.

Let's say Judgement is cast with 15 pips (that's only 7 power pips). Combine that with a balance blade, bladestorm, feint, and either hex/curse and even without any clothing boosts, you're hitting for about 4800 in damage.

So what's my defense? weakness is -25% and tower shield is -50%, but only one of each takes affect (unless you have treasure card versions of them, which I don't).

So with those debuffs, judgement still hits for about 1800 health points. I only have about 2000 health points, so that pretty much kills me right there. The math is just off the top of my head, but I think it's in the ballpark.

The problem is not Judgement, it's the fact the Feint is a generic trap. Make it a trap for death spells only. Sure, then I have to contend with Wraith, but at least I have death shields for that.

Survivor
Oct 26, 2008
carterma wrote:

It's not so much Judgement as it is Judgement combined with feint. Or Orthrus/Wildbolt/etc. combined with feint. That's where the real damage comes into play that is difficult to defend.

Let's say Judgement is cast with 15 pips (that's only 7 power pips). Combine that with a balance blade, bladestorm, feint, and either hex/curse and even without any clothing boosts, you're hitting for about 4800 in damage.

So what's my defense? weakness is -25% and tower shield is -50%, but only one of each takes affect (unless you have treasure card versions of them, which I don't).

So with those debuffs, judgement still hits for about 1800 health points. I only have about 2000 health points, so that pretty much kills me right there. The math is just off the top of my head, but I think it's in the ballpark.

The problem is not Judgement, it's the fact the Feint is a generic trap. Make it a trap for death spells only. Sure, then I have to contend with Wraith, but at least I have death shields for that.

Your math is a little off (you can only ever get 7 power pips maximum, and that is 14 pips), but Judgement and Feint are dangerous to use since once you put feint up there are ways to diffuse it like weakness or tower shields, (use treasure and regular since they stack and completely ruin judgement). Once someone casts feint they can be hit with a six pip spell since judgement needs time to build up, and then they will be using pips to heal giving you more time to diffuse judgement, and continue attacking.

It will also take at least 7 rounds to use the blades and traps you mention since feint and bladestorm each cost a pip and the most you can start with is 2 power pips which leaves plenty of time to shield and then attack which will give a balance wizard more to think about than judgement.

The only time judgement will one hit defeat an opponent is when they don't do anything about the traps and blades.

While the attack is very dangerous at lower levels. (you get judgement at 28, and feint at 26) once you have regular tower shields and treasure towers the attack is no longer a threat. (Unless KI raises the arena damage again, then it could be an issue).

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
AlecVolterra wrote:
lilslifer wrote:

yeah right, most i seen pick ice and life, this way they can out last people even better, this way they have shields for every school and 2nd and 3rd shields for the stronger of the 7, ice shields - fire and storm/ tower - all . life - death and myth / healing
so dont group us like that, it's like saying all guy wizard are warlocks(evil male wizards) which isnt true

well most of the balance wizards i went against had my school as a back
up and i'm not put a lable on all balance but it is fun to fight a balance wizard
every once in awhile that judgement can be beat just make a plan thats all my opinion is have high health as much as the game will let the school get pack allot of tower shields(unless you are ice but i still perfer you to do that)and last lastly attack as many times as possible(for death,ice and,fire use damage over time spells for the shields) and make sure they use there pips to heal not to attack (a friend told me that -)and you can maybe win

Survivor
Nov 04, 2008
Malhavoc wrote:
carterma wrote:

Your math is a little off (you can only ever get 7 power pips maximum, and that is 14 pips), but Judgement and Feint are dangerous to use since once you put feint up there are ways to diffuse it like weakness or tower shields, (use treasure and regular since they stack and completely ruin judgement). Once someone casts feint they can be hit with a six pip spell since judgement needs time to build up, and then they will be using pips to heal giving you more time to diffuse judgement, and continue attacking.

It will also take at least 7 rounds to use the blades and traps you mention since feint and bladestorm each cost a pip and the most you can start with is 2 power pips which leaves plenty of time to shield and then attack which will give a balance wizard more to think about than judgement.

The only time judgement will one hit defeat an opponent is when they don't do anything about the traps and blades.

While the attack is very dangerous at lower levels. (you get judgement at 28, and feint at 26) once you have regular tower shields and treasure towers the attack is no longer a threat. (Unless KI raises the arena damage again, then it could be an issue).

Sigh, let's say - hypothetically - that a balance wizard is going first against, oh, I don't know let's say a storm student with 2030 health with only 8% resist to balance. Balance student has the Steelweilder deck with seven copies of elemental shields. Balance student uses the storm shield ammulet, storm shield treasures, and has seven copies of elemental shields o and 5 weaknesses! O.K. balance student uses bladestorm, balance blade and hex in 3 turns. then starts shielding with the storm treasures first, then the elementals, which is a tower shield to a storm student (As myself.)
So, now the balance person has 6 power pips, one regular pip, and an unknown number of storm shields on - cause i lost count. The balance student uses the unholy feint, and then gets a power pip! Poor storm student doesnt have anything to protect against balance except a tower which was practicially canceled out! cause it was a 20% boost + 25% boost - a 55% tower shield "deboost" + a 30% boost, from the hex. To finish it off... a 70% from feint! Who do you think is gonna win? The storm GM? Nope, the Balance person that would have normally hit a 1400 - the 8% resist which is basicially gone. So, please think about things before you say them.

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
Your example is way too extreme, bamajparr. That kind of balance wizard is a prime example of a storm hater, who's goal is to see storm wizards burn. I mean, what if you're a fire wizard? or a myth? What if you make yourself look like a storm, or look like some other school. It's pretty extreme to have only storm shields in your treasure deck, out of all the other shields.

Also, it takes at least 7 rounds for a balance wizard to set up a one shot on his/her judgment, and if you survive they're as good as dead if you have a strong attack ready because they'll no pips left. Also the storm wizard could just put a storm prism and put all those storm shields and elemental shields to waste. Oh, and you should have a myth sword too, so if they put a myth shield you can just wand it away.

Balance wizards aren't invincible, you just have to be inventive when you fight them. Storm wizards don't have to buff up to hit hard, unlike balance.
Oh and Storm can do 1000 within the first-second turn, while balance would have to wait until their fourth turn to do an equal amount of damage.

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

Survivor
Oct 26, 2008
bamajparr wrote:
Malhavoc wrote:
carterma wrote:

Sigh, let's say - hypothetically - that a balance wizard is going first against, oh, I don't know let's say a storm student with 2030 health with only 8% resist to balance. Balance student has the Steelweilder deck with seven copies of elemental shields. Balance student uses the storm shield ammulet, storm shield treasures, and has seven copies of elemental shields o and 5 weaknesses! O.K. balance student uses bladestorm, balance blade and hex in 3 turns. then starts shielding with the storm treasures first, then the elementals, which is a tower shield to a storm student (As myself.)
So, now the balance person has 6 power pips, one regular pip, and an unknown number of storm shields on - cause i lost count. The balance student uses the unholy feint, and then gets a power pip! Poor storm student doesnt have anything to protect against balance except a tower which was practicially canceled out! cause it was a 20% boost + 25% boost - a 55% tower shield "deboost" + a 30% boost, from the hex. To finish it off... a 70% from feint! Who do you think is gonna win? The storm GM? Nope, the Balance person that would have normally hit a 1400 - the 8% resist which is basicially gone. So, please think about things before you say them.

And when the random matching system in ranked duels pairs the balance wizard against a death wizard all those storm shields are useless and they will lose since they have no death shields. Going first is a big advantage for anyone, not just balance, and that's random too.

When playing ranked duels you need to have shields against ALL schools, and you cannot afford to stock treasure storm shields, (though with all the wild bolt happy people lately a few would not be a bad idea). In addition you need to stock more than shields in treasure cards, and you need attacks. If your balance that means you need a lot of them since none of the balance attacks except Judgement deals a lot of damage, and you can see that coming from a mile away, and have time to use weakness, and towers. Once a balance wizard puts up a balance blade/bladestorm/hex, any tower shield kills those boots since the balance wizard can't attack without using them.

You can't reasonably assume the person your dueling will have a shield necklace and treasure cards specific to your school since the matching system is random. Please think before you make ridiculous assumptions.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2008
bamajparr wrote:
Malhavoc wrote:
carterma wrote:

Well of course sincw every balance wizard carries a sideboard full of Storm shields, and carries as many elemental shields as possible. And then they also get every card they need when they need. Of course that always happens.

Survivor
May 02, 2009
I will not play PVP again unless something is done about the Judgement spell it is completly RIDICULOUS that a player can be taken out with one hit, how fun is that, last month when i played it was fun becouse even when i lost i was able to enjoy the fight. There is no enjoyment in todays judgement spell. I fought 10 battles today and lost 6 becouse of the Judgement spell and 1 becouse the player was simply a good player, when last month this was a fun game. I am getting closer and closer to taking the game off my PC, which some of you will say go ahead, but how are my kids supposed to enjoy something that is not fare. I have spent over $400 in this game with memberships and crowns for my family over the few months weve been playing and as long as it was fun i would look at continuing spending money but i assure you that i will not spend another dime as long as it is unfare and no longer fun.

Zachary Waterthief lvl 50 Theurgist
Edward Waterthief lvl 22 Conjurer
Austin Waterthief lvl 20 Sorcerer
Hunter Waterthief lvl 10 Necromancer
Flint Waterthief lvl Pyromancer

Explorer
Jan 07, 2009
GOSH GUYS! It's completely fair about the Judgement spell! And I'm not just saying that because I'm Balance! You don't have to make a big deal out of one little spell! One person said they were gonna take the game off their PC, they can do that, but all they're really doing is making a big deal off on a SPELL. So what? If you had Judgement you would say it's fair enough. And if you don't want to deal with it, flee the fight if you find your oppontent has Balance. It's just another spell! I've been irritated by Storm Lord used on me, but all I could do is grind my teeth and accept defeat. Honestly, people, you're making a big deal out of one little spell.

Defender
Mar 08, 2009
Lol after making a balance character after whining about judgement... Well here's the story. I finally got to level 28! yay! that same day i start arena after 2 hours I am past warlord and have a shiny angel trophy at my house and now i have like 70 wins and 9 loses all thanks to judgement. Even the tower shields couldn't stop me i had my friend make tons of steal a ward cards so i could always steal so i was basically unstoppable the only time i lose is when they do too much damage and i cant turtle it all. I dont think that a level 29 Adept should be able to beat A level 50 death and a level 50 fire its just crazy and the funny part is they are SCREAMING " NOOB" even though i tell them i have a level 48 life ( which i do have ) and then when i win they try to get away as fast as possible and not talk to me. Man judgement is too awesome in pvp possibly OP.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
in pvp my balance wiz is a war lord ranking 903 and he is a magus and i happen to win with judgement because there is a strategy. the way i do it is put feint and then balance blade with elemental traps and blades( Yes i know it waste one pips but it helps) then they think you are going to do an elemental attack. But they might put absorb or tower shield thats bad thing. IF they dont just judge them and there you go you win :D

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
Resetti123 wrote:
GOSH GUYS! It's completely fair about the Judgement spell! And I'm not just saying that because I'm Balance! You don't have to make a big deal out of one little spell! One person said they were gonna take the game off their PC, they can do that, but all they're really doing is making a big deal off on a SPELL. So what? If you had Judgement you would say it's fair enough. And if you don't want to deal with it, flee the fight if you find your oppontent has Balance. It's just another spell! I've been irritated by Storm Lord used on me, but all I could do is grind my teeth and accept defeat. Honestly, people, you're making a big deal out of one little spell.
i have a level 48life who still gets killed by judgement in one hit. i have like 2989 health with 6 resist not much though and still get killed. i think i should buy some tower shields. this will let me win more times but still i get super killed by judgement.

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
judgement can be useful but at times when a person has weaknesses on you and tower shields it makes sure you wont die. when i play balance and i go to mb they cast a weakness then i cast balance blade. 25 vs 25 is fair right? nope my mb wand only does 70 not 75 so there for the weakness spell takes more off my attack than my balanceblade gives attack.

Survivor
Oct 26, 2008
Proman1355 wrote:
Lol after making a balance character after whining about judgement... Well here's the story. I finally got to level 28! yay! that same day i start arena after 2 hours I am past warlord and have a shiny angel trophy at my house and now i have like 70 wins and 9 loses all thanks to judgement. Even the tower shields couldn't stop me i had my friend make tons of steal a ward cards so i could always steal so i was basically unstoppable the only time i lose is when they do too much damage and i cant turtle it all. I dont think that a level 29 Adept should be able to beat A level 50 death and a level 50 fire its just crazy and the funny part is they are SCREAMING " NOOB" even though i tell them i have a level 48 life ( which i do have ) and then when i win they try to get away as fast as possible and not talk to me. Man judgement is too awesome in pvp possibly OP.

Your strategy is not proof that Judgement is overpowered, it is proof that enhanced treasure cards should not be able to be traded. Your winning because you steal your opponents tower shields with an ice school only spell, (granted a good tactic) but without the steal ward spells you wouldn't be able to use judgement with all the blades and traps.

uka1234:

Once you use tower shields you'll notice you aren't able to be defeated in one hit, and as life you can heal almost any hit. If you're facing a balance wizard who is exclusively setting up for judgement, use tower shield and treasure tower shield, or weakness and tower shield to diffuse the attack. Once they hit with judgement hit them with centaurs to force them to start healing. You'll want life blade, spirit blade, and life trap. (They will already have feint up which will boost a hit against them). Their triple shields are only 50% reduction, so if you have two sets of blades up, you'll get two solid hits in before they have more pips to do anything.

And then keep pressure on by hitting with Seraph's or Nature's Wrath. If you're not comfortable with your health keep sprite's and regenerate in your deck so you can heal, and then build up pips for more attacks.

If the balance wizard is NOT using judgement exclusively, then odds are they are a good duelist, and in those cases there are too many strategies to discuss here.

masterpooply:

You're feigning an elemental attack, then using judgement. If your opponent uses tower shield then you still can't get judgement off.

As soon as anyone puts up feint the automatic response should be to use a treasure tower shield regardless if the one doing it is balance or any other class. The tower plus any regular shield will make the feint wasted.

Survivor
Dec 12, 2008
well being killed in one hit with alot of cards in pvp even though i have 2400 health i got kill with wild bolt in 4 turns well balance has to wait more than 7 turns to kill in one hit so judgement is not overpowered i have seen centaur do more than i have seen judgement do

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
Ok let me make something clear right off the bat. A judgement on its own using only balance school spells to boost it is nothing to cry about. But if you use my schools feint on it suddenly you have an unstoppable assault which makes them invinsible from level 28 on without spending well over a thousand gold per battle. i doubt it would seem fair to the balance wizards if they were forced to spend that much to simply survive one attack from a school. I think that feint should become death only or that there should be a shield for balance. But i think that since balance is a combination of all schools why not make it so all shields take a little out of it with a random 3 shields being the equal of a normal shield. :?

Defender
May 08, 2009
Don't you think Judgement is overpowered. No matter how much you Balance wizards claim it is not , it is. As a fire wizard, i do not really have a chance against balance. Now i do realize it is hard it is hard to battle with spectral blast and hydra.

Administraters, please give us your opinion.

Survivor
Dec 15, 2008
SERIOUSLY i am a balance wizard no doubt but i have had different wizards in the past like my fire and life wizard i barely went into the duel arena but i fought a balance wizard he killed me with judgement in one shot SO WHAT seriously they keep deleting the rankings so whats the point of going in there? (also i use judgement for good purposes to help my friends and not to kill everyone in my path at the duel arena)but wait think about this what happens if a balnce student faces another balance student hmmmmmmmmm they both know judgement and it then is a fair fight i do not know the reason of this post but seriously people let it go!

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
carterma wrote:

I TOTALLY AGREE YOU. Either make feint a death spell only or make a balance shield so we can defend ourselves against judegment because i think it is unfair for every other element to have shield to stop them and balance doesnt. Sure we can use tower shield and weakness against them but so what, we can use them for others schools as well along with a their shield.