Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A Modest Proposal for Exercise

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
As I sit on my oversized rear, spending another hour wandering the streets of Dragonspyre in a fruitless search for a diamond (even one would be nice!), a crazy idea occurred to me. Imagine if there was an iPhone app (or something similar) that could track real, physical walking and map that into Wizard101. I'm envisioning overlaying my neighborhood on the streets of Dragonspyre, so that I could literally walk my neighborhood, physically getting exercise while I virtually searched for reagents.

Just throwing this idea out into the public light, in hopes that the good folks at King's Isle -- or some really motivated entrepreneur who can forge a working relationship with KI -- can enhance the crafting experience (which currently consists of a lot of tedious reagent farming) into something that would also serve a valuable social purpose: encouraging physical exercise!

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
steelbrews wrote:
As I sit on my oversized rear, spending another hour wandering the streets of Dragonspyre in a fruitless search for a diamond (even one would be nice!), a crazy idea occurred to me. Imagine if there was an iPhone app (or something similar) that could track real, physical walking and map that into Wizard101. I'm envisioning overlaying my neighborhood on the streets of Dragonspyre, so that I could literally walk my neighborhood, physically getting exercise while I virtually searched for reagents.

Just throwing this idea out into the public light, in hopes that the good folks at King's Isle -- or some really motivated entrepreneur who can forge a working relationship with KI -- can enhance the crafting experience (which currently consists of a lot of tedious reagent farming) into something that would also serve a valuable social purpose: encouraging physical exercise!

Yes, quite a good idea. But I don't have an iPhone, so I wish it could also be downloaded from the DSi Shop...

Just like the pedometer that gives your Pokemon experience in HeartGold/SoulSilver. But don't change the subject.

Explorer
May 22, 2008
That sounds really cool!

I feel like a lot of people would opt to take their car instead of walking around though haha.

Defender
Mar 01, 2009
Survivor
Jul 06, 2009
What if you could input your information from a Body Bugg to help improve your character's health? Like you could have a health bank that allows you to refill your health and potions with your actual exercise. I do like how the characters now regain health through walking around, but I agree that an interactive aspect would be neat.

Survivor
Jun 25, 2009
How about they just implement a reagents stand in every town and hire an NPC to watch over it. When you click on the NPC, the NPC will simply ask..."What reagent would you like?"...and then you click from a list of unlimited resources...and BAM....just like that, a little doorway on the counter opens up, ala The Jetsons...and you take your reagents. No work, no real effort, nothing. Just instant gratification. Oooh and as a bonus, with each use of the regents stand, you are instantly entered in a random lottery drawing, and at the end of each month, one lucky wizard is selected, and the winner instantly wins the game! You receive a badge that states "I won the game and you didn't" and you can either continue to pay 9.99 so you can stand still in one location of your choice so everyone can see you won, or, you can cancel your subscription, knowing that you won, effortlessly.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2009
Boy, Broooklyn, you said that with some attitude. I don't believe the OP was saying they wanted everything effortlessly. I think they were saying we sit on our rears too much playing this game and it would be cool to add exercise into the mix. I agree that some people want it easy, but how is walking around your neighborhood while playing, or for health points, helping you beat the game effortlessly? Please explain.

Survivor
Feb 01, 2009
swtogirl wrote:
Boy, Broooklyn, you said that with some attitude. I don't believe the OP was saying they wanted everything effortlessly. I think they were saying we sit on our rears too much playing this game and it would be cool to add exercise into the mix. I agree that some people want it easy, but how is walking around your neighborhood while playing, or for health points, helping you beat the game effortlessly? Please explain.

Thank you... I was wondering pretty much the same thing when I read that post.

It would be great to have some way to impliment exercise into the game. I would love it. Even if it was not walking around the neighborhood and just an accessary you plug into the computer. With this accessary you could walk or run in place getting exercise while traveling through the worlds. It would also be cool to have a wand accessary to help work your arms while you play casting spells and such (like talking to NPC's and purchasing/selling).