Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Boss Battles

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
Hello my wife and I faught the jade oni after the big patch. And wow was he fun was a real challenge. Well needless to say I fought him like the next day and poof all that power gone. Heck I could even solo him. So I asked around and looked here to see why.

I saw that some people cried abit about him. Saying they couldnt beat him. And you guys changed it. First off I think its awasome you guys listen to ya players many games dont. On that note just the same only the people who have a problem with it came here. The people like myself, my friends and the others on my fam account loved it. Course he werent here complaining we were to busy playing the game.

I also dont think its fair to beta something put it live then poof take it away. Now I'm not gonna just give ya problems I have a solution. For the bosses give us a choice when we enter the boss instance to fight enhanced or regular. More reward should come from the harder fight. Also I dont think these fights should be soloable (lol is that a word?) if you are at there level. Should be a team effort.

Second if you guys would put like a vote button on the subscribers login menu you would prolly get a better census of what ya paying players want, like and dislike etc. Cause I for one loved the harder fights. Even if said boss "cheats" the greater the challenge the sweeter the victory. Thanks!!

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
litewind2 wrote:
Hello my wife and I faught the jade oni after the big patch. And wow was he fun was a real challenge. Well needless to say I fought him like the next day and poof all that power gone. Heck I could even solo him.

Ummm, I think you pointed out the the reason in the quote above...'...I could even solo him.' Many play here for fun, and that includes those that solo, either through desire to do so, or necessity due to lack of players at the time they play or the lack of a system here that easily gets groups together. Heck, many I talk to think grouping in the final boss battles cheating yourself of a challenge.

Whatever...yes, you could even solo the big guy alone, but many are here for fun rather than powergaming. KI just listened to the non-powergamers who fled other games and found a home here.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
First off Im not sure how you define the term "power gamer". I'm old school have been gameing for 25 years or so. In my day that term meant someone who plays for xp they care for nothing else just level as fast as ya can. Not sure how everyone defines that now. But I am not a player who just plays for xp.

You missed my main point. We all (my gameing group) liked the boss battles that way. Unlike some people We dont play multi player games to play alone period. Thats always been such a funny idea to me. But hey to each there own. I also dont think the big bad finale bosses should be able to be soloed. I want a choice plain and simple. Give me the option to fight big mean bosses. Or wee baby weak bosses. I understand the need for both.

Yes not everyone has friend or groups to play with all the time. But please dont punish us as a group because some people want to play multi player games alone or dont take the time to get a good group together. Or for whatever reson they say they cant find people.

Now I was the first one to come here out of my group. I was alone and when i first got to sunken city I could not solo this. So seeing how this game lets ya switch servers ever 30 seconds or so. I went around and asked for help. Guess what? It worked even made a new friend that day. Maybe it will work for you to?

I'll get my friends to come post here so i dont sound so much like that crazy lone voice. Thanks for the reply!!

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
MikeStrath wrote:
litewind2 wrote:
Hello my wife and I faught the jade oni after the big patch. And wow was he fun was a real challenge. Well needless to say I fought him like the next day and poof all that power gone. Heck I could even solo him.

Ummm, I think you pointed out the the reason in the quote above...'...I could even solo him.' Many play here for fun, and that includes those that solo, either through desire to do so, or necessity due to lack of players at the time they play or the lack of a system here that easily gets groups together. Heck, many I talk to think grouping in the final boss battles cheating yourself of a challenge.

sorry but sounds like you dont have any friends when you say that lol, but i LOVED that he interrupted it was MUCH more fun that way ^-^ it was kinda easy though lol (gm ice gm death gm fire) lol anyways i agree that you should be able to pick when you go in the lvl if it has interruptions or not, and if you pick the interrupt increase the rare drop rate by like 50% sense it seems fair like that, specialy when you have them using scald and elemental trap without using pips and before they actually attack

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
I think it's a good idea to give us the option, like Litewind said. When you get ready to enter the boss fight, you can set it as easy or hard. Then those who like to solo can and those who have a group they play with regularly can have a better experience.

I normally don't play with a group, but do have several offline friends with whom I play this game, and the option to make a fight hard enough to warrant getting a group like that together would be really awesome. And really, who ever said no to better loot for that kind of fight?

It is really awesome that KI listens to its players and implements changes like these so quickly. Other games I've played have higher memberships, cost more to play, and don't offer the same customer service. It's nice to find a company so dedicated to its players.

This idea really does have merit if you stop to think about what he really said rather than focusing on the fact that not everyone likes group play. :)

Survivor
Jun 24, 2009
but many are here for fun rather than powergaming. KI just listened to the non-powergamers who fled other games and found a home here

Ok I am litewind's wife and it is so laughable to call me a powergamer. WOW what a compliment to someone whom has only played 2 online games (this being one of them) in her life. Thanks!!

As for the Jade Oni:
It was a blast having to team up to fight him and his buddies. Now it it just the Jade Oni and drops are nothing like they where. Much better before.

From one Non-powergamer to the rest of them out there; PLEASE bring back the enchance bosses.

Survivor
Jun 15, 2009
Well, I have to say I honestly agree with Litewind2. While fighting the Jade Oni and his buddies was a huge challenge- it was absolutely awesome! I got to hang out with my friends and do some damage on a master boss and got frustrated and just dug my heels in deeper and fought harder- it was a lot of fun and really put forth the meaning of team work.

The problem here is that not everyone is like that- so having the option of choosing to fight a boss with a group of people or by one's self would be a great opportunity. I truly enjoy this game and this is an upgrade that would be appreciated by the masses. I just really want to be able to fight the Jade Oni and crew the way that I did to begin with- with sweat, determination, and friends.

Thanks! :)

Survivor
Mar 27, 2009
Well, They should give us the option to choose between Hard and Easy, Example: I am a level 38 life wizard and me and my friends fought malistaire, we lost. He was just to hard, With 100,000 health, IMPOSSIBLE!!!! ! ! ! ! ! ! I mean with a level 37 life, a level 50 pyromancer, a level 50 sorcerer and a level 45 pyromancer it should be easy right? WRONG!!!! we got killed very fast cause of the changes. My Friend told me to help him with jade oni, we spent 45 minutes fighting him! it was because of the war oni and stuff. (lol STUFF) So, I agree with cherii951 because we should have the option!

Steven SoulGarden, l;\evel 38 magus theurgist! Current world: Mooshu and loving it!!!

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
I absolutely agree with the original poster that it would be nice to have a heroic mode with improved loot tables for certain boss encounters.

You have to remember that this is first and foremost a children's game. Many of the players have yet to learn basic gaming strategies, such as threat management, focused fire, and target sequencing. They often use spells that simply look cool, rather than the ones that actually make sense for the situation. Also, many of them don't have text chat enabled. For these players, it was simply impossible to defeat the "enhanced bosses". They lacked both the tools and the skills to coordinate with each other. You can't make basic game content inaccessible to these players, because they are the core audience.

While I would appreciate a heroic mode, I wouldn't welcome a return of the interrupt feature. Cheating is no fun for anyone. Some features I would like to see in a heroic mode:

--smarter bosses (if i have a shield up, knock it out with a wand or a small spell before casting your 6-pip spell)
--harder spells (it seems like bosses rarely cast their 6-pip spells with blades and traps)
--boss-summoned minions that function just like players' minions
--difficulty scaled according to number of people in the group (you could argue that 4 on 1 isn't a fair fight for the boss)
--unique spells (it makes sense that each boss, being a master of his discipline, would have invented a new spell; after defeating the boss, the player could obtain a treasure card of that spell)

I think many of us would appreciate more challenging, innovative boss encounters, provided that it's optional and that it doesn't violate the rules of the game to a significant extent.