Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The one card which unbalances PvP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
I am a balance wizard, I never use treasure cards in PVP. I fight as balance and I die as balance.

With that out of the way, after many many many hours in the Arena I believe there is one card which seriously unbalances PvP, and that is Feint.

As a balance wizard I know that Judgement combined with Feint will often kill with a single wave of my wand that is impossible to resist. The same is true for Fire and Storm.... Feint with a judiciously time trap and blade and a a high damage spell will also kill.

I see a lot of complaints on this board about balance and the Judgement spell. Judgement at its maximum does just a little more than the highest level Storm spell and costs more than double the number of pips... but nobody complains about Triton. I refuse to use Feint because I gain no satisfaction from seeing my opponent go from maximum health to zero in one round, but I have faced many wizards who do not suffer from this compunction.

Please confine Feint to the Death School where it belongs.

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
As a death wizard I agree 100% with this. Death is really the only school that needs feint to make up for its low damage output, so feint really should be restricted to only death spells as when other schools use it they often OTK since their spells do more damage than ours.

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

Defender
Apr 25, 2009
Actually, a balance wizard could just train in the death school to get feint, so taking away the treasure card won't help that much. It is overpowered as a secondary school card though.

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
Feint takes 7 training points to get. SEVEN. That's almost half of your total training points for the game. It also debuffs you for a 30% hit. Feint is fine. What's next? Keep Tower Shield for Ice Mages only?

Defender
Sep 22, 2008
If people want to learn death spells with their training points and get feint that is fine, but like I said in my other post, we should ban treasure cards from ranked PvP matches.

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
Seven training points is a small price to pay for the game's most broken trap. This trap creates way too many OTKs to stay the way it is. Feint is really what people complain about when they bring up being one shotted by this attack or that attack, because feint is always what made that OTK possible.

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
Feint isn't broken because it's available to everyone. If you want to create a broken card situation, then by all means limit it to Death School.

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
The main reason I say feint is broken right now is because the other schools can use feint EVEN BETTER THAN DEATH!! How is that NOT BROKEN?!

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
Death can actually defend against Feint by using a Death shield and that Death spell that damages/then heals them. I see it all the time. Death also get an extra buff in Curse.

Feint, Curse, Blade and Trap on a Wraith is no laughing matter. Not to mention the Death Wizard is healed for half the damage. I fail to see how other schools can use it better.

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
The ability to gain health from your attack is only really effective in pve; in pvp you are simply one shotted so the ability to drain doesn't matter. In pvp you would need to look at damage output itself, and in that death is the lowest, hence here the other schools can make better use of feint than death can.

Also, like you said, people can stop death attacks with a death shield, and believe me, as death everyone will see you and play death shields like there's no tomorrow. I actually see more death shields played in the arena than tower shields (and life actually has the advantage of that no one ever seems to play a life shield). :(

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

Survivor
Oct 18, 2008
WHAT! you think that FEINT unbalances pvp , well i think the card the unbalances in pvp is JUDGEMENT and feint is OK

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
I meant that Death can remove a Feint from themselves with a shield and Sacrifice with minimal damage. So in a sense, they can defend against Feint.

Defender
May 29, 2009

so make feint apply only to death spells as opposed to a generic trap.

Blazian wrote:
Actually, a balance wizard could just train in the death school to get feint, so taking away the treasure card won't help that much. It is
overpowered as a secondary school card though.

Survivor
Apr 19, 2009
the only thing that needs to fixed in this game is the creation of a balance shield of forty percent balance is so overly powerful now with the cost of tower shields you have highest attack with all the traps and swords plus there is no protection against judgement attack

Hero
May 19, 2009
cbfan14 wrote:
As a death wizard I agree 100% with this. Death is really the only school that needs feint to make up for its low damage output, so feint really should be restricted to only death spells as when other schools use it they often OTK since their spells do more damage than ours.

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

"low damage output" ice has the weakest attacks by far, and those faint attacks have really come in handy for my ice mage

and dont say anything about ice having the best health and tower shields bc anyone can train for the tower shield. So if faint was to be restricted to only death then the tower shield would have to be restricted to ice
that way no one can have an extra ATTACK or DEFENCE boost

Survivor
Jun 20, 2009
ganemedes128 wrote:
the only thing that needs to fixed in this game is the creation of a balance shield of forty percent balance is so overly powerful now with the cost of tower shields you have highest attack with all the traps and swords plus there is no protection against judgement attack

you are so right about judgement, that thing kills me in pvp and i have no way at all at defending. tower shield is the only thing i have that can help but still there needs to be a balance shield created. and by the way feint is fine as it is. IF anything (and that's a big "IF") it should be limited to just death school students, still affect all types of cards but just keep it so death wizards can learn it.

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
cbfan14 wrote:

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

that is, not to be mean, VERY short sighted, death is has a HUGE damage amount if you actually know how to use it "Grandmaster Necromancer".
death, as it is know, is a preperation school, it has the most prep spells.
fient-70
curse-25? i think so
death blade-40
death trap-35 (think that is pendant one i forgot)
you can also train for
spirit trap-25
and finally spirit blade-35
making about 200%
if you have a balance on your team you also get
balance blade-25, and hex-30, also there are items that give balance blades of 30%
also
385%!!! now that is a ton of increase in damage, when preped right. so death has emence power, so dont say it is weak. Life needs feint the most, not death.

Survivor
May 11, 2009
Feint doesn't necessitate an OHKO. It enables many of them to be sure, but it doesn't singularly enable one.

Case in point - my lv 40 Storm Wizard vs a Grandmaster Ice Wizard. He threw every trap/buff/etc in the book at me, Feint included, and my only defending spell was a single instance of Weakness. I have about 1300 HP and 4% resist. His would-be OHKO left me with about 300 HP. I still lost, but I lost to myself (fizzles).

Granted Ice isn't the best attack type in the game. But realize, when dealing with multipliers in huge amounts, it only takes a little bit of disruption to pooch the deal. Weakness is 3 Training Points, or a trip to the Bazaar for a necklace with two instances. Tower Shield is 5. Compare that to Feint's 7 TPs, and decide whether you're the sort of player who joins the metagame, or tries to foil it.

So yeah Feint is good. It defines the gameplay as we know it. Is it entirely busted? I really don't think so.

Survivor
Oct 26, 2008
Feint is not unbalanced. It adds a 70% trap on you and your opponent. The card states 30%, but in play when it is cast it is a 70% boost to the next attack to both the caster and the target, and is very risky to use if you go second in PvP.

If used with good timing and in combination with other spells it is excellent, but using it comes with a risk that you will get hit by a big attack from an opponent before you can reduce the risk on yourself.

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
it's really a 30% boost to next spell cast against you, the 70% statement is bug that has not been fixed yet. And yes it is still weak, the other schools, except for life, can still get an even bigger increase because their field spells boost damage and their base damage is still higher than death's, which is what i've been saying over and over again. It doesn't seem like much, but after all the boosts get applied their total damage is still higher than ours, because their base damage was higher to begin with. The only reason we're so powerful in pve is because our attacks steal health; if they didn't, we would be the worst school in the game. In pvp, draining doesn't matter because they can just one shot you or mitigate your health return.

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
megaflare wrote:
ganemedes128 wrote:

you are so right about judgement, that thing kills me in pvp and i have no way at all at defending. tower shield is the only thing i have that can help but still there needs to be a balance shield created. and by the way feint is fine as it is. IF anything (and that's a big "IF") it should be limited to just death school students, still affect all types of cards but just keep it so death wizards can learn it.

I'm sorry, I tried really hard but I couldn't let this rubbish go without comment. You have no way of defending against Judgement, really? I see you mention Tower in your next sentence, so you readily admit their IS a way of defending again Judgement after all and you are talking complete nonsense. Carry on....

Survivor
Dec 30, 2008
There's tower shields, resistance, and then two different types of spirit armor you can use to fight balance. 400 damage protection, that life gets, and then 500 damage protection, offered by various items in the Spiral.

IF you draw the towers, or spirit armor, then you can win, but without them, you're toast. After talking to some friends who have Balance characters, I've found that the problem isn't with Judgement itself. It's the people who throw just Judgement in their decks, along with Bladestorm, other balance blade, feint, etc. It's them, who KNOW that they can kill anyone anytime with it, that are the problem.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
For the people who think that only DEATH should get feint as a spell that's kind of unfair. I have an Ice Grandmaster so you people aren't the only people with low attacks. With all my best traps on and blades that i can use myself I barely make over 3,000 without feint and in Dragonspyre bosses don't usually have that much. Not to mention life. I don't have much experience with life but i have a magus and my centaurs only hit a little over a thousand with life blade/trap and spirit blade/trap. :-( With feint I can take care more easily.
That seems to get off topic there but it's just a point to people who think it should be for death. I agree with feint being unfair in PvP though. It seems most unfair for storm wizards and balance wizards cause judgement just wipes the floor with feint and blades etc. For storm it could take just two turns to nearly kill a higher leveled opponent when they have best gear. They will get a 35% boost from robes and feint which will basically hit over 2,000 if it hits!

Survivor
May 13, 2009
Dridsuzy wrote:
Feint takes 7 training points to get. SEVEN. That's almost half of your total training points for the game. It also debuffs you for a 30% hit. Feint is fine. What's next? Keep Tower Shield for Ice Mages only?

I am a Death Wizard and I use it often espically when it comes to bosses, but that is also why keeping Weakness and Plague cards in your deck is a good idea if like using feint. Might seem like a little unfair but that is the only way I know of to balance the backlash. But I suppose I should not be talking. I lose a lot in PvP (not that rank is my goal)

Survivor
Oct 27, 2008
i think death should get the feint only because that is what death is meant for. i mean like what if storm got all the death boosts?
it is only fair if death gets one because it does the same damage as life and
ice. and if every school got feint then death would have no meaning. like what
if KI took all ices extra health and gave it to fire. then it would be unfair.

also BAND TREASURE CARDS FROM PVP because when i was battling a lvl 30 he just used wraith and all the death boosts because of treasure cards did i tell you he was storm!