Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I'm ready for my closeup Headmaster Ambrose!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
What? No close up? But I look fabulous in my flowing white robes and jaunty red cap. What's the camera doing all the way up there? The top of my head is certainly not my best angle!

But seriously now. I understand some changes have been made to speed up combat but personally I feel the cinematic nature of the game has been sacrificed. On a more practical note, at times it can be difficult to determine exactly what spell has been cast when the camera no longer swoops down to focus on the wizard. From high in the sky it has become difficult to determine exactly what spell icons are spinning around your enemy.

Please bring back the old cameraman, or teach the new one how to use a zoom lens.

Survivor
May 08, 2009
Also cannot see the damage most spells do on the monsters.

Also be nice to see what damage you do or take when you have an absorb spell on you or them.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
I have to admit, when I first read the topic heading, it made me laugh, and curiosity got the best of me. Good thing too, because this has really been bugging me about battling lately. I hate not being able to see the damage I've done to a monster, when they are a certain 'height'. That, and not being able to tell what traps, boosts, etc are on the enemy, so I know how to better strategize (sp?).

Defender
May 28, 2009
I agree with this post. I also agree that KI needed to speed up the animation on some of the spells (namely the elemental and spirit blades and traps in the balance school). I love the fact that ALL of the blades or traps show up at the same time but I can't stand the fact that the camera is so far away that it is difficult (at times) to see what was cast and on who unless you knew before hand. This is especially troubling when mobs are casting spells and your eyes have to scan the entire screen in hopes that you are able to pick out what change is being made. I don't know how many times now I have missed a shield because I didn't see it go up. And have you seen Rebirth? It's hilarious! The animation is much faster which is great but at the end, when the absorbs are being applied, the camera is above the canopy of the tree looking down so all you see is leaves. I to would like to request that the close ups be brought back. Let the animation go faster. Fine. Let multiple blades and shields appear simultaneously. Fine. But at least allow the camera to move around as before so that we can see exactly what is happening. Why is it that KI always seems to go overboard with these changes? We ask for faster animation and they give us faster animation that is close to impossible to see. I guess its just how the pendulum swings.

Survivor
May 22, 2009
I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. I was beginning to think I was getting old. LOL!

I love the faster traps, etc. but please zoom things back in again.

I want to say a big THANK YOU to KI for the update they did this morning. They really listen & hear our concerns. Not many companies do that anymore.

Explorer
May 22, 2008
I have to disagree, I love the faster animation. My PvP fights' durations have been cut by about 30% just because of the faster animations.

But I do understand what you're saying. Staying with the casual feel of the game, things should happen seamlessly and efficiently. If there is a way for the animations to stay FAST, but still make it obvious as to what trap/blade was cast, that would be the ideal solution.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
I'm all for the faster times on the placements of the shields and what not. The healing of the pixie makes me and my friends laugh every time, with how high the character jumps now. But, I still would like to see the close ups of the monsters shields/traps etc. It's very difficult to tell what is what, who cast what, like I stated before. Hopefully we will have an update soon that allows us to either zoom in manually, in battle, or the game does it automatically by either zooming, or when you are picking your cards, by everyones names, good guys and bad guys alike, it shows who has what by a symbol of sorts.

Defender
Jun 19, 2009
I've been noticing something weird about the fight cinematics myself. Sometimes, when Dark Pixie is cast, the camera remains on the caster, so you don't get to see how much damage the target got. And sometimes, the Dark Pixie spell will be caught at some weird angles.

Also, what happened to being able to rotate the view around yourself after you've been added to an instance, but before your turn starts?

I used to do the left-click/rotate thing, after I entered a fight but before my first turn, to get some nice screenies of myself from a slightly below angle. Or just look around at my team-mates, to see who else it here, before my turn starts.

And now, when I try this, I can't. Can we have that freedom to play around with the Look Around function back, when awaiting that first turn? Thx.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
Just a thought for the KI people that might help with the problem of not being able to see what spells have been cast:

How about a drop down window when we scroll over our opponents/friends name at the top and bottoms of the screen. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't use them any way, except maybe to see how many pips someone has. This drop down could show what we are fighting, how many pips, health, and various buffs and traps with their percentage numbers on them. It would sure make telling the difference between a Curse and Feint trap a lot easier. :D

Defender
Jun 19, 2009
KyPoBoy wrote:
Just a thought for the KI people that might help with the problem of not being able to see what spells have been cast:

How about a drop down window when we scroll over our opponents/friends name at the top and bottoms of the screen. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't use them any way, except maybe to see how many pips someone has. This drop down could show what we are fighting, how many pips, health, and various buffs and traps with their percentage numbers on them. It would sure make telling the difference between a Curse and Feint trap a lot easier. :D

I don't know if you've noticed, and I think this is what you're asking, but above yours and your team-mates mates and below the names of the enemies, icons of the spells that are going to be cast in the next round appear, along with an icon indicating the target.

This *is* helpful. My only complaint about this part of this system is that the last person to lock in their move, you don't get to see their spell clearly, because the action proceeds too fast, right after that last spell choice is made. Unless you're looking right at where the icon appears, and then, you might get a glimpse of it.

Anyway, I think that's what you mean. If it wasn't, sorry.

Defender
Jun 19, 2009
Oh. I forgot to mention in the post I just made, on the name tags of everyone in a fight, pips *are* shown. Both regular and power-pips. If you look carefully, during your next fight, you'll see what looks like little white or yellow beads, accompanying everyone's names.

Hope this helps. ^_^

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
AuroraGriffin wrote:
KyPoBoy wrote:
Just a thought ...

I don't know if you've noticed, and I think this is what you're asking, but above yours and your team-mates mates and below the names of the enemies, icons of the spells that are going to be cast in the next round appear, along with an icon indicating the target.

This *is* helpful. My only complaint about this part of this system is that the last person to lock in their move, you don't get to see their spell clearly, because the action proceeds too fast, right after that last spell choice is made. Unless you're looking right at where the icon appears, and then, you might get a glimpse of it.

Anyway, I think that's what you mean. If it wasn't, sorry.

I think our thougts are close to the same, but still not quite what I mean. I 'm sorry, but I'm usually battling alone so I forgot the value of these area's (team mates names) when I'm not alone. You're right, they are great for seeing the spells that my team mates are using and this is the area that I'm refering to. What I'd like to see happen though is when I move my wand/mouse over the area where those stats are, a window would pop up, down for opponents, that shows exactly what traps and buffs are on that indiviual. So if I move my wand over Monster #2's "flag", a window would drop down that shows that a Death trap and Death shield are on the monster and that the death trap reuduces their defense by 30% and Death shield increases it by 80% etc.
There is no difference in a lot of the shields/traps, i.e. Feint and Curse, and I think this drop down would help a lot. Especially for us old forgetful types who can't remember if we used one or the other.
It's kind of hard for me to explain, but I hope this clears up what I'm trying to say.

Yes KI, give us a little more time after that last spell has beend decided so we can see it and make changes if we need to.