Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Crafting as it should be

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
Anyone notice that ALL decent armor has been systematically removed from ALL the shops over the past 8 months? When you heard that players will be able to CRAFT equipment and Treasure Cards, did you think that this was KingIsle's way of letting players customizing their own equipment and cards? How many of you are disappointed?

Crafting, is it is now, is a joke. NOTHING is being CRAFTED! What we are presented. is a really complicated method of purchasing pre-existing equipment. We have to buy recipies (This where I get a head ache trying to figure out what I am looking for: a pre-existing outfit that doesn't have the attributes I want), collect and then combine the Reagents (currency), and this will CRAFT (enable me to actually get the item out of Lay-a-way) the item that I worked so hard to "purchase". It is pretty bad when the BEST item that can be created is worse than the mediocre carded items that were once in the shops.

How's this for a suggestion?

1. The Crafting Badge Level determines how many attributes can be added or increased: A Novice can add/increase one attribute, an Apprentice can add/increase two attributes, etc. The Badge Level also determines the maximum limit that an attribute can be increased up to, for example: A Novice can increase an attribute to the maximum of 4%, an Apprentice can increase an attribute to the maxiumun of 5%. By these examples, if a Novie Crafter has a hat that already has a base value of +5% Fire Damage, that attribute cannot be increased because it excedes his Craft Skill limit. However, the Novice crafter can ADD another attribute to that same hat, such as Defense up to 4%.

2. Since the Crafting Badge level seems to coincide with each crafting quest in each world, a player with Master Artisan Badge should be able to create an article of clothing with up to 6 attributes, with a limit of 8% per attribute. Why not? After all the hard work that was put into just doing the Craft quests, not only does it seem fitting (no pun intended), but it would help compensate for the new Boss abilities.

3. The nomenclature of the Reagent determines what kind of attribute the item will be imbued with. For example:

Red Mandrake adds 2% Life, NightShade adds 2% Mana and Small Vile acts as a binder.

Stone Block adds 2% Defense and Scrap Iron acts as a binder.

Ruby adds 2% Fire Damage, Amethyst adds 2% Storm Damage, Jade adds 2% Life Damage, etc, and Leather Strap acts as a binder.

Spider Web adds 1% increase accuracy, Parchment adds 1% increase Power Pips and Mist Wood acts as a binder.

4. Eliminate recipies, PERIOD. If recipies have to be sold, make them recipies on how to improve certain attributes. For example: Increase Life 4% - 2 Red Mandrake, 1 Small Vile for $1,000 gold. Increase Fire Damage 6% - 3 Ruby, 1 Leather Strap for $1,500. And so forth, as long as the recipies are permanent. Once learned, always learned.

5. All current clothing that is sold in the regular shops can be modified by Crafting.

6. Rings and Athames can be crafted with up to 4 attributes. Novice, Apprentice and Initiate Crafters would be restricted to improving existing attributes, where as Adept can add 1 and a Master can add 2 for a maximum of 4.

7. Amulets can be crafted to add one character attribute.

8. All crafted items can be sold and/or traded to characters within the same account.

9. Crafting should be so easy that a 10 year old can do it. They should be able to put a hat and the necessary components for the attributes they want on the table, mumble Abra Cadabra, and Viola! They have a truely crafted Hat.

I haven't figured out what to do about the Treasure Card situation. I have gone to the Trees in Ravenwood and I was appalled! What in the world are you guys thinking?

It seems nearly impossible to collect the ingredients for the Krokotopia Crafting quest. I have wandered Krokotopia for nearly 3 hours and only collected 5 of 12 parchment and 14 of 18 Stone Blocks needed. I don't even want to guess what I will have to do in Marelybone!

At any rate, I would like to hear some other suggestions that you feel would improve the Crafting experience in Wizard 101.

Thanks,
Deej

Survivor
Mar 27, 2009
Very good.
As of now I have no interest in crafting, however if crafting were as you suggest it would be worth while. My wife is in real life a crafter and when we did the test realm was very excited to have the opportunity to game craft. Now that crafting is live she is finding it rather tedious to run around getting all the reagents and wonders what the end product will get her.
It would be wonderful if KI would seriously consider some of your ideas about crafting. It would indeed give a lot more players an incentive to do crafting.
For her the idea of being able to craft furniture for her castle is compelling while for me I would like to be able to upgrade my equipment.