Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Enhanced Boss Encounters

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
What's really sad is not a single comment by the company or anyone in it. We can't even pretend they aren't aware because this forum is moderated and each post is read by someone.

What's even worse, and I speak as a 15+ year veteran of online MMO's, most companies will do nothing proactively. They will hear the words and assume that the bottom-line is the only thing that matters, they figure they are too big to fall. I would like to hope that KI is different, but I have hoped this 20 times before and watched game after game fall because the parent company refused to think like a player and just admit a mistake and fix it.

I paid for myself and 2 family members just 4 days ago, and honestly, admission of an idea not being what was planned, and then fixed would speak volumes... as will ignoring and doing nothing.

We'll see, and I'll hope once again, but in the end I always speak with my wallet and there's always another game... I hope I can stop looking for other games.

Survivor
Mar 01, 2009
No more flying solo is a good thing, this game encourages people to work in teams

i couldnt stand when malistaire was easy, here he is the biggest badest boss in the game going down easily. especially since three to four people fight malistaire all the time. i don't get the idea of one pip meteors though, he's death make it a one pip wraith. or just call him master of fire

i'm a balance wizard in game and idk how i'm supposed to craft things like tri blades when i can't make the balance blade that it takes to make a tri blade. finding stuff is difficulty, but don't rush yourself, don't gotta finish all these new things in a day :D

Survivor
May 26, 2009
i agree with everyone else you guys have made a turn for the worst. this isnt the game i would play for hours on end now i'm not sure i want to even play this game anymore. it's become way to complicated for kids and frustrating. The new boss updates are a big mistake. malistaire is impossible to defeat now and this game has just become a total nightmare for everyone. please undo your mistakes and return this game back to its amazing fun relaxing casual roots. i think i speak for everyone when i say that.

Explorer
Jan 29, 2009
I really have nothing to add as everyone before me has stated that obvious. I know as a lvl 50 storm wizard, I was able to solo through the game (for the most part until Malistaire) since my spells caused massive amounts of damage. Now, going against some of the bosses, it's nice to see that they don't even need the required amount of pips to cast spells. Heck, why not just eliminate pips for bosses altogether since they don't follow the rules.

I don't forsee any of the staff coming into this topic to explain what is going on but I'm sure if enough people start pulling their support (in the form of $$), maybe they may wake up.

Survivor
Mar 09, 2009
ugh look you guys its real simple there is a right way to do all those bosses. We finished malistaire in five rounds. It can be done and its so simple it isnt funny. Sorry if you actually have to use some skill to play now but i absolutely love it.

Defender
Mar 05, 2009
For a game that went to such lengths to protect kids (the extensive chat filters) you really blew it by allowing - forcing - your monsters to break the rules. "The end justifies the means" is not a lesson I want my children to learn.

"Enhanced" encounters are one thing, but there are plenty of ways you could make boss fights harder without resorting to cheating. More hit points, more variety of spells known, even giving them gear that adds resistance and power pip rates would make sense. But cheaper/bigger versions of well-known spells? Casting extra spells out of turn? That's not only incredibly more difficult to fight, but it sets a horrible example for your young players.

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
Three words: Hall of Valor

Impossible bosses to beat in Grizzleheim.
They interupt, use Judgement WITHOUT SPENDING PIPS and do 800 damage roughly. Three attacks in one turn on one person from one person is enough to kill them right away, and if he doesnt, the other three foes will.

The idea is cool, but there needs to be limits, like the Judgement spell costing no pips and doing 800 damamge when he only has two pips. And three actions in one turn is pretty unfair as well.

Survivor
Jun 25, 2009
I and a friend just fought Lord Nightshade for the first time, we were about level 12, and we both loved that battle. I thought the doom and gloom effect was awesome and made the battle exciting. It was the first boss battle we've fought that actually felt like a real boss battle. We got that "oh thats bad" reaction when we figured out the healing reduction effect (I'm life and he is storm).

I don't think it was too hard; we defeated him handily on the first try despite his tricks. I like having to think moves through and look forward to actually having to tweak my deck and get good treasure cards to take on future bosses. The other wizard city bosses were a bit of a sleepwalk. If I try to solo future bosses I fully expect to need a fully tweaked deck and great sideboard to manage it. I like that the changes force a bit of strategizing; it made defeating Nightshade feel more like an accomplishment.

Survivor
Mar 12, 2009
This game is one of my favorite games because of the way it was made as far as being able to play by yourself or with friends as an option. With these new boss enhancements it takes the solo out of the game which means you have to run through the whole game with a group. I think this is a bad mistake because not everyone wants to group all the time. For instance my cousin plays this game and he is a young kid, he asked me for help with sergeant skull splitter because he said he kept dying, i said sergeant was a pretty easy battle for me as a lower level it shouldn't be too hard to beat. He said he hardly got a chance to attack, so i said okay let me see what your doing wrong thinking maybe he wasn't using the right spells or something. So i went to fight with him and guess what it wasn't his spells. My cousin started out with a fire cat and i used a balance blade, the next turn i was about ready to attack and i found out about the interrupts first hand, the sergeant buffed himself first, then he buffed his partner then he buffed my cousin with a death shield buff, then he attacked with his regular attack and defeated my cousin like nothing, i was like what in the world, this is crazy. I had to revive him so he could finish the quest. I now realized what interrupt was and i totally do not agree with it. Its like bosses having god mode on all the time. I think something should be done about this in the next update or something because it makes lower players feel down about how weak they think they are when it is really not them. I love a challenge but this is just almost impossible. Also on a side note, i love the crafting add on, only problem is the spawn rate of the ingredients. I will continue to play this game regardless cause i am to hooked but i can't say much about my friends and family that play.

Survivor
May 24, 2008
As always, the new world's artwork is outstanding.

I am a "serious" gamer and have played for many years. I am also a beta player of Wizard 101 and a grandmaster. Due to limited play time, I've soloed most of the game and found it delightful.

I'm very much afraid I have to agree with those posting regarding the "enhanced" difficulty of the bosses. I have played other games geared to younger players that also "enhanced" aspects of their games (minigames, bosses) to make it more "challenging". Unfortunately, in every case the enhancements drove off the very players for which the game was designed. due to degrees of frustration and disenchantment.

I understand the desire to make the game more robust for the "bored" serious players but, rather than "enhancing" the quest specific bosses (such as Malistaire), would it not be better to set up a "challenge" world for such enhanced bosses? That way those who want to try their luck can do so while the younger and less serious wizards can continue to enjoy the game they have supported all year.

I understand the desire to test the young wizards to the maximum but I do think tying this "villains get to play outside the rules" concept to quest bosses is not the best idea.

Survivor
Mar 04, 2009
I want to add my vote on this matter with a firm NO to these boss changes.

When I read on the test boards how much they were hated I already had a bad feeling but I did what Prof. Greyrose said, I went and tested them.

I tried bosses with a low level in Wizard City, with a medium in Krokotopia and with my Grandmaster in various shards. Bosses are way too hard now for all of them.

I love the rest of the update but this really ruins the whole game for me. Not being able to solo anymore means my enjoyment of this game is cut by 80%. I won't stick around for long if this stays.

Survivor
Mar 16, 2009
I know I've posted this elsewhere but I'm going to reitterate this.

Interrupt is a good idea. Evil guys are known as cheaters. The interrupt doesn't bother me. Casting spells without the right number of pips and not using pips when they cast spells now that is where the cheating comes in and I get bothered. Maybe interrupt could be reduced to once every three or four rounds but the amount of pips should always be used correctly. (Reading the description of Interrupt means they get a free spell use turn .)
For those of you that haven't done it yet. I took on Malistair. 100K hit points and using dual meteors right off the bat followed by summoning his wife then casting doom and gloom then double meteors and not using any pips is a lot of cheating.

Some Changes I think they should make:

I say keep interrupt but make them use the right number of pips for spells both the interrupt spell they use and the next spell they use after. That means no back to back meteors or back to back unicorns or scarecrows without the right number of pips. (I could see a meteor followed by a unicorn if the boss had seven pips.)
Increase the stats of items by 10 percent.
Base damage on Ice spells by ten percent.
Myth Orthrus should be able to attack all oppenents.
Life Items should have a plus to outgoing healing starting at +2 percent and going up to maybe + 10.
Stun block should only last two rounds.
Items dropped by Malistair should be the most powerful in the game.
( ex... His ring should have 300 life and 200 mana plus to power pip and plus to incoming/outgoing healing and maybe his sword would have something around the same but instead of healing it would have plus damage and maybe a healing card like the bodkin sword.)
Crafting materials should be a lot more readily available (I submitted several tickets on this in the test realm).
Crafting Item timer needs to be drastically reduced.

This would make the game a little more challenging and still keep the fun in the game and allow people to solo that want too.

Talon Deathweaver-- lvl 50 death wizard.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
nullpanther wrote:
ugh look you guys its real simple there is a right way to do all those bosses. We finished malistaire in five rounds. It can be done and its so simple it isnt funny. Sorry if you actually have to use some skill to play now but i absolutely love it.

You really should reasd the thread before commenting just so you can sound like you have ti all together and we don't. Nobody complained about the game being more challenging, in fact, you made our point for us. There is no need for strategy and skill aymore because the bosses don't follow any rules. It doesn't matter how well you plan, they just cast whatever and whenever they feeli like it.

I'm all for the game being more challenging, but not a agme where the rules cease to apply and strategy makes no sense anymore.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
hrairoo wrote:
It was the first boss battle we've fought that actually felt like a real boss battle. it made defeating Nightshade feel more like an accomplishment.

You'd feel an evern greater sense of accomplishment if the bosses played by the rules and were just made stronger.

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
After having fought several bosses, I wanted to add another reply to this thread.

This is rediculous!

There, now I hope it is clear. Those bosses were just fine. You want a challenge? Unequip your spell deck and try to defeat a boss that way: there's your challenge.

What kind of nonsense is this? If I need 3 pips for a spell, I expect EVERYONE in the game to need 3 pips for that spell: player, npc, boss, or whomever. It cannot be so that I need 3 pips but others only need 1 or none at all.
Also, if bosses can cast multiple spells in a row, I want that too. I mean, what is this, only bosses are allowed to cast multiple spells at random at me without giving me a chance to do anything against it? Oh right, that is supposed to be "fun".
Really, you guys need a serious reality check here.

Yes the world is unfair, but guess what? I don't want a copy of the real world in this game. I want a game to relax without the unfairness of the real world. Why? Because that way I can actually "enjoy" playing the game, instead of having to get frustrated with it because it is just a poor copy of real life.

Entertainment of any sort is by definition NOT realistic. If it were to be, it would not be entertaining.

There are more changes where I feel that they completely missed their promoted intent and direction into which they want to take this game.
Really, this is nuts. How can one come up with this idea in the first place? For fun? Yeah sure..... Interesting idea of fun you guys are having there.

Champion
Jan 27, 2009
TinkerBlue wrote:
As always, the new world's artwork is outstanding.

I am a "serious" gamer and have played for many years. I am also a beta player of Wizard 101 and a grandmaster. Due to limited play time, I've soloed most of the game and found it delightful.

I'm very much afraid I have to agree with those posting regarding the "enhanced" difficulty of the bosses. I have played other games geared to younger players that also "enhanced" aspects of their games (minigames, bosses) to make it more "challenging". Unfortunately, in every case the enhancements drove off the very players for which the game was designed. due to degrees of frustration and disenchantment.

I understand the desire to make the game more robust for the "bored" serious players but, rather than "enhancing" the quest specific bosses (such as Malistaire), would it not be better to set up a "challenge" world for such enhanced bosses? That way those who want to try their luck can do so while the younger and less serious wizards can continue to enjoy the game they have supported all year.

I understand the desire to test the young wizards to the maximum but I do think tying this "villains get to play outside the rules" concept to quest bosses is not the best idea.

Great idea, what they should do is to do this on a side world that is not essential to game play like Kingston park.

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
Actually I found a way to overturn Doom and Gloom from Nightshade. I was in the Haunted Cave looking for Mist wood with my level 35 Myth/ Life and decided to try out the new boss encounter with Nightshade and he puts up Doom and Gloom, well I put up Time of Legend and it countered Doom and Gloom and I was able to heal myself BUT I only barely survived the encounter and had about 200 health left from over 1800 and that was healing myself also and that was without my minion card even showing up. When I heard about the new boss encounters I thought maybe it would be better for a little bit of a challenge but when the boss keeps interrupting the battle for his own purposes and does not even give you time to even cast spells. The whole grouping together now for bosses is a good idea BUT there are many times it is hard to find a group or even to find a friend to help you with an instance or a boss and you have to end up soloing the boss or instance and the enhanced boss encounters makes it more difficult solo. Sometimes I like to be on late and not many people on late to even help with anything.

I was able to solo Smogger with my Myth/ Life on the first try in Katzenstein's Lab BEFORE the update. Now I could imagine how difficult that battle will be with the new update to the bosses. I hope this thing is fixed ASAP because I will be among those that decide to go some place else and I already came from another MMO because of thigs the devs did that did not make sense but did not want to do anything to change it back or even listen to the customers. Like many places out there if a customer is unhappy they will take their business elsewhere BUT at the same time tell others about their bad experience and not to go to that place or even spend money there.

I really like this game and think it is cool and I enjoy that my kids can play this game but now that the boss encounters are enhanced than I am not sure if I even want my kids to play it and we dont even have two computers for me to even help them if they need it. I myself have gotten one of my wizards to Moo Shu and have seen how much of a leap in difficulty this game gets from WC and looks like it would be hard at times for my kids to play especially in the Marleybone rooftops where you have to play dodge 'em constantly. This new enhanced encounters is going to make playing for my kids IMPOSSIBLE.

Why do I need to spend money on a monthly subscription and on crowns just to have my kids upset that they cant finish a boss and cant find someone to help them?

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
Some of the pro boss change posters (and there aren't many) need to lighten up with comments suggesting that the folks that don't like the changes have less skill.

I don't see a lot of complaints in this post saying that bosses should not be made more challenging. The complaints are based around how KI implemented changes to the game mechanics. Having bosses cast spells whenever they feel like it AND for less pips than what the spell cost calls for is just ridiculous.

If you want to make bosses harder you can simply give them more health and possibly more spells which would NOT change the game mechanics but still pose a challenge.

Administrator
Thank you everyone for your input - Cyrus Drake has a message for you in this post:

https://www.wizard101.com/site/posts/list/8018.ftl

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-