Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Enhanced Boss Encounters

AuthorMessage
Administrator
You may have noticed that some bosses of the Spiral have a few new tricks up their sleeves!

Some of the bosses have been learning from all their encounters with the Wizards of the Spiral. Bosses may now cast additional spells, even when it is not their turn and they may call extra minions to their side to aid in the battle. When this happens, players will see the word "Interrupt" appear and they will know that their battle has been interrupted!

This provides a whole new challenge to those boss duels, so you may want to go back and revisit some of the bosses of the Spiral to see what they've learned.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Mar 23, 2009
After all the negative discussion regarding this in the test realm, I'm very disappointed that this is now a permanent part of the game. This isn't "Enhanced" bosses, it just bosses who are allowed to cheat.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
I need to reserve judgement until I experience it but I have to admit that this just sounds like a VERY BAD IDEA!

If they are going to introduce interrupt spells for everyone to use in their decks then I'm game.

I'm curious to see what others think about this change.

Survivor
Dec 21, 2008
ProfessorGreyrose wrote:

You may have noticed that some bosses of the Spiral have a few new tricks up their sleeves!

Some of the bosses have been learning from all their encounters with the Wizards of the Spiral. Bosses may now cast additional spells, even when it is not their turn and they may call extra minions to their side to aid in the battle. When this happens, players will see the word "Interrupt" appear and they will know that their battle has been interrupted!

This provides a whole new challenge to those boss duels, so you may want to go back and revisit some of the bosses of the Spiral to see what they've learned.

This happend to me in the test but I kept getting defeated and they used Unicorn for only 2 pips!That is a 3 pip spell :(

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
Well, If you havent watched cartoons or read comic books than you wouldnt know that bad guys do whatever they can to win even if that means cheating. Yeah it may make the battles longer and a little more difficult but in the end you will be proud of yourself when you get done and win the battle. But remember nothing is permanent and they could change this aspect at anytime.

Survivor
Apr 20, 2009
The new boss battles are just the tip of the ice berg with all that is wrong with the new "enhancements." Not only do the new changes make it exrtremely hard to win, and impossible to beat mallistaire, they just plain make you mad and frustrated. Plus, now, all the top clothes from the worlds can only be bought with crowns from zeke; they can no longer be purchased with the gold you worked hard to save up. If the game makers were trying to make everyone mad and quit the game, then they found a way to do it.

Defender
Feb 07, 2009
GeorgeBombadil wrote:
After all the negative discussion regarding this in the test realm, I'm very disappointed that this is now a permanent part of the game. This isn't "Enhanced" bosses, it just bosses who are allowed to cheat.

IT IS COMPLETELY ENHANCED PEOPLE SAY THEY ARE EASY SO NOW THEIR HARD OK SO WHATS THE BIG DEAL YOU SHOULD AT LEAST BE HAPPY THAT NOT EVERY BOSS IS LIKE THIS. THE EARLY BOSSES OF GRIZZLEHEIM AREN'T EVEN AFFECTED BY THE UPDATE!

JACOB THUNDERSONG
LVL 49 NECROMANCER SAVIOR OF THE SPIRAL

Survivor
Dec 29, 2008
I also fear that a lot of players, especially younger ones, are going to quit.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
I don't mind the boss encounters being a little tougher, but this is excessive and honestly takes a lot of the fun out of the game. It's funny you call it "cheating" because that was about the kindest word I could think of for it.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
Wetader wrote:
I also fear that a lot of players, especially younger ones, are going to quit.

I've only been playing for about 4 days and have myself and 2 others on a family account. The person who introduced me last week by telling me how great the game is, is now quitting, and I'm rethinking my investment.

It's not that I mind difficulty, but one of the things I liked about Wizard 101 was that it was "fair", and honestly I don't want to spend time explaining to children how it's ok for bosses to get to play by a different set of rules.

it may be true in real life that things are not "fair", but this is a game, supposed to be fun, and targetted to children. Adults may play this too and understand that life isn't "fair", but I contend that a game can be challenging and still have rules that everyone uses.

I paid for 3 for a month, I guess we'll see if this company rethinks their plan before the kids decide that having to watch bosses cheat while they helplessly sit and watch isn't fun anymore. I mean honestly... why not just make our characters randomly cast spells without us even choosing if the concept of planning your spell order basedon the situation is no longer a valid one?

Survivor
Nov 25, 2008
runinchik18 wrote:
The new boss battles are just the tip of the ice berg with all that is wrong with the new "enhancements." Not only do the new changes make it exrtremely hard to win, and impossible to beat mallistaire, they just plain make you mad and frustrated. Plus, now, all the top clothes from the worlds can only be bought with crowns from zeke; they can no longer be purchased with the gold you worked hard to save up. If the game makers were trying to make everyone mad and quit the game, then they found a way to do it.

I agree 100%..we went to battle Jade Oni..and he cheated so many times and summoned War Oni so many times..it was so frustrating..my partner ran out of spells..he had to log off and come back to be able to battle..towards the end I ran out of spells!!!! it was SO upsetting!!!. i don't think i'm going to renew my membership again if this continues~I hope they fix it.

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
I don't think this is a smart move. I fail to see the added value to the game experience because of this other than trying to give people more incentive to buy crowns.

Honestly, the bosses were just fine. The second people are being forced to group, or buy crowns to get better items, I can assure you that lots will flock to other games where they don't have these. I will be one of them.

Already some changes to spell animations have been made that I really don't agree with. Now those are just estetics, but how are kids (the majority of your client base) supposed to deal with bosses they can barely defeat if they have no one to help them out.

The crafting is a great addon, but also the spawn rate and quantity of resources is really horribly low. Since last night I have not seen anyone who could find Mist Wood easily. Really everyone I ran into had to look for an hour or more to find one piece of Mist Wood.

Guys, I'm really sorry, but you are making some major steps into the wrong direction. Take it from me, I have seen it before with other games, ROLL BACK those changes.

Really, I've been working in the software development industry for almost two decades: don't touch what is working properly! And please, listen to your client base. It is the worst mistake ever to just force things despite your clients not agreeing with it.

Anyway, we'll see how well they listen.

btw. I do think that with the crafting you went into the right direction, it's just that resources are way too rare. On top of that the Bazaar lacks search options, overloading the database of your system and bothering people with having to browse tons of things they are not interested in just because they cannot specify better what they are looking for.
Think of adding search categories like: magic school, level, price. That would already help a lot.

Shame though guys, I didn't expect this from you, especially since you guys advertise with keeping things "simple". Those new bosses can hardly be called "simple". You really deviated from your original concept there.

Survivor
Nov 25, 2008
thefireball123456 wrote:
GeorgeBombadil wrote:

IT IS COMPLETELY ENHANCED PEOPLE SAY THEY ARE EASY SO NOW THEIR HARD OK SO WHATS THE BIG DEAL YOU SHOULD AT LEAST BE HAPPY THAT NOT EVERY BOSS IS LIKE THIS. THE EARLY BOSSES OF GRIZZLEHEIM AREN'T EVEN AFFECTED BY THE UPDATE!

JACOB THUNDERSONG
LVL 49 NECROMANCER SAVIOR OF THE SPIRAL

I also went to battle the "monsters" in the new world..talk about CHEATING!!!! I don't mind them being a little more tough, makes it more exiting but the so called "interrupt" it's should be called CHEATING. This new enhancement is more for adults. I'm sure that many children are going to quit.

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
I have only replayed Lord Nightshade since this update and saw that he did Doom and Gloom at the beginning when it said interrupted. I have never seen a boss put one of those dome type bubbles up before. Anyway I have not had a chance to play much of anything because I spent most of my time running around Wizard City trying to find mist wood, I think it should be renamed to Myth Wood being because it is so hard to find you almost think it is rare or does not exist.

Survivor
Apr 15, 2009
I've only been playing this game for a couple of weeks, but I liked how casual the game was. You can group if you want, but you can (could) also solo this game. Now I feel this game is making it impossible for a (mostly) solo player like me.
I really don't like this particular change and will unsubscribe because of it. I've played too many online games where you get forced to group up, because of impossible bossbattles.
I like the other changes, crafting is a welcome distraction. Sadly, if the game becomes too hard to play, the other changes mean very little to me.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
Hey Hey Now!

I am an adult and I hate this. There is a rule to battle that made this game different then the other games and I am not sure I like the idea of the new rules.

I have to check my zeke clothes but the last "update" lowered the stats from that of when I purchased them so I stopped wearing them and decided I would no longer buy any more.

But if they are back to normal maybe than I will try the new enhancements.

I would suggest that maybe those enhancements might be saved for the NEXT world KI creates when it raises the cap levels.

Survivor
May 12, 2009
ms greyrose just a warning judging on what the responses are already i think you might want to undo it and also i am really mad about it too

Survivor
Jun 24, 2009
I have to join the chorus. This new change is not welcome and is not adding fun to the game. On the contrary, it is making the game less enjoyable.

Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
Add another very disgruntled parent here. This is ridiculous. It's one thing to make it so that they cast level appropriate spells if they have the pips, a whole other ball of wax to have them going when it isn't their turn, and casting spells that they don't have the pips to do. Seriously, reconsider this decision or you will lose this family of four paying accounts.

Survivor
Apr 29, 2009
I have tried to defeat Lord Nightshade in a group of 3 to assist the 2 lower level players that were asking for help. The way it is now the doom and gloom lasts the whole fight and even with a healer in the group we could not heal enough to kill the boss or the 3 others with him. I had been able to solo him since I was level 13 and I was defeated like a level 9 player trying to solo him. This enhanced boss encounter idea is not a good one.

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
Well, uh, Kingsisle, I've got one thing to say and that is... NO. And I repeat: NO. It's insane. Okay look: it's TOTALLY wrong for you to do this kinda thing. As a level 48, I decided to go fight lord nightshade. Okay, so he interupted and used doom and gloom. Big deal, I could manage... or so I thought. Even though I won with just over half of my health (which is practically 3,000), because of the nerfed (reduced) healing, Imagine what it's like for a level, like, 10 or 11: hard. VERY hard. look KI, I'm sorry, but it's just too much. I was hanging out with a friend, kicking back, havin' fun when we decided to get on W101 (of which we're MAJOR fans... for now). So we log on and begin to play. We decided to go fight the jade oni and see if the "Oni summoning" was true. Well, it was. And it was hard, even with 3 ppl and a death minion (we were gaming on his at the time) it was VERY hard. Now look, I don't mind things being a little harder, but let's get real. I'm (though I regret saying it) truly disgusted. TRULY. Look, if you just LISTEN to what WE want, and not get your heads all high and thinking: "hmm, we'll do this because... because... BECAUSE WE CAN!" That's how you get through in A LOT of stuff: LISTEN. I appologize for the long post, but it's seriously time for you to listen. You've gotta do what's best for the common people, not yourselves like... like... like a life wizard :D.

Fred Angleblade, (Ticked off) level 48 life.
The force will be with you. always (especially if you make changes the changes we ask for).

Survivor
Mar 21, 2009
ProfessorGreyrose wrote:

Allowing Bosses in the game to cheat by taking players turns, casting 7 pip spells with only 2 pip plus making something as simple as meteor strike do 1,500 damage with no buffs ??!! You have got to be joking! ? This teaches children that #1. cheating is ok #2. that all their hard work playing fair means nothing and #3. corporations ONLY care about making bigger and bigger profits and are not interested in doing what's right for the children. (funny considering all the hype over this game being so wonderful was because it WAS a great game for kids teaching them a number of valuable things) Why build a child up only to smack them back down? Please tell us why KingsIsle

Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
Okay, this is too much. I normally get on the message boards and kinda see what everyone is talking about, and I noticed how many people are upset about the new bosses and their new tricks. I figured I ought to try this out for myself. I am a lvl 50 pryo, and I have completed, and soloed most of the game. I decided I would try the Jade Oni since this is a boss that I had been able to easily defeat before this update. Well, I think KI, you should change Enhanced Boss Encounters to "Impossible Boss Encounters." Have any of you tried to beat these bosses solo? I understand that this is supposed to be a "friendly" and "group" type of game, but what if you dont have any friends online and there is not someone around to team up with? Then what? If your questing around solo and come to a boss that has been "enhanced," how are you supposed to continue? I really feel that everyone at KI has done a great job on this game, and I know it is probably hard to make everyone happy. Why not try to give the players the option of the old bosses, or the new ones? Give us more advanced players a challenge if we want one, but make it so the lower lvl players are still able to play. The way this is now, why bother farming for an item that you would really like, or even bother completing a quest line, if you know at the end that you wont be able to defeat the boss. Oh well, thats just my two cents.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
We really need more people to speak up about this change or I fear that KI will not fix it.

I for one think this is a horrible change!

Defender
Apr 25, 2009
Guys, I'm going to tell you a story. A year ago, there was an mmo called HG:L. This game was made by a man named Roper. When the game released in October of last year, it was well-rated by critics, but there were some bugs and things fans wanted changed. Well, Roper didn't listen to the fanbase, and just wrote them off as "internet haters" (I swear, he actually used that phrase). Last year, around this time, HG:L closed down it's servers and Flagship, the developing company, declared bankruptcy.

Today, I thought about starting up the single player part of HG:L and playing again. That's what this patch has done to me. Between this and the stun lock, I'm starting to regret the 60$ subscription deal.