Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Subscription is not the best?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
Why is that I feel like the subscription is getting the short end of the stick?

First: No access to content that costs crowns
It seems to me in order to access full premium content (card, equipment, reset training points, etc) I am still require to pay additional money for crown. It should be as soon we have subscription all the crown required content to be base off gold or at least a minimum of monthly crown allowance equivalent to pay-by-area for us to spend. I feel like I am only paying for half of the game and not playing the full game.

Second: Can't retain the content we paid for
Now let's do $80 comparison between 1 year subscription and pay-by-area(actual game play comparison so no test server or message board posting "benefits")

1 year subscription:
We will have access to all area and future content area but no crown to spend on premium content. At end of year we will loose our access to the premium content area.

Pay-by-area:
For $80 you get 60000 crown. The total cost for all areas right now is 49695 crowns. After you get access to all area and you will still have 10305 crown left over to spend on premium content or future area. You will still have access to all area after a year. And if other worlds are any indicator, Grizzleheim should be roughly around 11674 crown range, which can be almost be purchased with your left over crown.

So for roughly $66.26(base on $1 = 750 crown rate) pay-by-area I get to keep playing what I paid permanently. How does subscription make sense at all? At end of subscription I should have forever access to area equivalent to pay-by-area.

Shouldn't subscriber be getting the best deal and content?

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
I have a monthly subscription, as does my son, my nephew and my niece. I'm the only one who regularly gets crowns (being the only adult and the only one with a job :) ). Not once have I had to use crowns to access any area.

The only time I use crowns is to get items from Professor Zeke. Which I could get without crowns, just cost a lot of gold. And to the best of my knowledge, I've accessed every area available to players.

What areas are accessible only by paying in crowns?

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
I would actually like to see some type of veteran reward for this game after every three months of subscription time you would get crowns or something else. I know there are many MMOs out there that do the veteran rewards.

Defender
May 28, 2009
Crowns Players do have a huge advantage by being able to pay for an area permanently. It is sort of like a "pay as you go" system that never makes you pay again. But crowns players have a minor disadvantage as well in that it costs 80 crowns per ranked match to play PvP. If you are a big PvP'er then a subscription is definitely the way to go because you never have to pay for a match. However if you don't PvP then you are home free. Buy the game via crowns and own it forever. Sure, every now and again you will need to stock up on a few more crowns in order to get into a new world but for the most part you are done paying.

Defender
Apr 25, 2009
Overall though it costs more to pay as you go than to subscribe. I bought the 60$ year deal, and in less than a month I was to Marlybone.

Survivor
Feb 01, 2009
H'mm thnx for the heads up guys. I might have to rethink my subscription.

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
But the problems with paying with crowns is that you may forget to buy more crowns and come to an area that you havent paid for yet. With Subscriptions you cant forget to buy crowns. :D

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
BUT can you make other characters with the Crowns or will you have to buy the area again with your new character? I am working on getting each school to grand master so IF I had to buy crowns for EACH of them that would be NUTS.

Just my two cents.
Z

Survivor
Mar 25, 2009
When you buy crowns and open areas, it is for all characters you create, in other words it applies to the account as a whole.

Survivor
Jan 11, 2010
mechmany2k wrote:
When you buy crowns and open areas, it is for all characters you create, in other words it applies to the account as a whole.

I started off paying per area... until I got to Krokland. In the pyramid I was having to pay for tiny little dungeons, and more and more in the sphinx! So I just bought the $60 sub went it was available. Every area costing 915, then 1120... just better to take the sub instead and not have to worry about having enough crowns to complete a quest (I think its dumb having to fork out more money because a quest ends in an area you cannot get to!)

Survivor
Aug 19, 2008
moviebuff3000 wrote:
I would actually like to see some type of veteran reward for this game after every three months of subscription time you would get crowns or something else. I know there are many MMOs out there that do the veteran rewards.

I agree 100% to this suggestion.
Subscribers should get a few free crowns every month.

It could actually benefit KingsIsle in the long run. Like an addictive substance, if one were to get a few crowns each month, one would get used to spending crowns, run out, and crave for more, and buy more!

Squire
Jul 08, 2009
Leggings wrote:
Why is that I feel like the subscription is getting the short end of the stick?

First: No access to content that costs crowns
It seems to me in order to access full premium content (card, equipment, reset training points, etc) I am still require to pay additional money for crown. It should be as soon we have subscription all the crown required content to be base off gold or at least a minimum of monthly crown allowance equivalent to pay-by-area for us to spend. I feel like I am only paying for half of the game and not playing the full game.

Second: Can't retain the content we paid for
Now let's do $80 comparison between 1 year subscription and pay-by-area(actual game play comparison so no test server or message board posting "benefits")

1 year subscription:
We will have access to all area and future content area but no crown to spend on premium content. At end of year we will loose our access to the premium content area.

Pay-by-area:
For $80 you get 60000 crown. The total cost for all areas right now is 49695 crowns. After you get access to all area and you will still have 10305 crown left over to spend on premium content or future area. You will still have access to all area after a year. And if other worlds are any indicator, Grizzleheim should be roughly around 11674 crown range, which can be almost be purchased with your left over crown.

So for roughly $66.26(base on $1 = 750 crown rate) pay-by-area I get to keep playing what I paid permanently. How does subscription make sense at all? At end of subscription I should have forever access to area equivalent to pay-by-area.

Shouldn't subscriber be getting the best deal and content?
Subscribers get LESS BY ALL MEANS.

Subscribers get:
full accsess to ranked pvp
able to go anywhere
all crafting quests

Crown users get:
mounts for a low price
gear with all sorts of stats and cards
able to buy training points back
Henchman
Elixers (eh i have no clue on how to spell it lol)
Low prices for ranked pvp

As you can see the crown users are getting more.

And crown users are paying less.

So as you can see CROWN USERS GET MORE.

P.S whoever is the admin. reading this please dont block it and let people see this comment because this is becoming a problem.