Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Do you play Wizard101 on a Netbook? Tell us about

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 02, 2009
I use an HP laptop but my two girls use an Acer each. They have not complained about any issues.

Thanks KI this is the best game ever.

Zachary Waterthief 50 Life/Myth
Zachary Watergiver 31 Life/Balance
Edward Waterthief 34 Balance/Life
Edward ZiceSlinger 32 Ice/Life
Edward Waterheart 31 Death/Life
Austin Waterthief 31 Myth/Life

Survivor
Jul 05, 2009
I use an Acer Aspire 10.1" netbook, and really don't have any complaints. It runs as smooth as our Sony Vaio laptop, with only very rare lags. The longest wait time that I have is when I log in. I will have to try the trick to disable the page up/down keys, since that is really the only thing that is seriously annoying when using a netbook.

Explorer
Jan 28, 2009
GlorkFoo wrote:
I play it on an ASUS Eee EPC900HA w/ 2GB memory and it plays really great. I now love my netbook even more and it's HUGE bonus for Wizard 101. :) I do, however, notice that after letting the game client run for a few hours that the frame rate slowly gets worse and worse but a quick restart of the game clears it up.

This is a memory leak.. If I were you I would go download the newest drivers from the website of whoever makes the Netbook! I had the same problem on my wife's HP laptop and it stopped once I updated the drivers. Also if you are playing inside on a hard surface like wood or metal or whatever
then may I suggest placing it on a folded towel or a dry wash cloth so it stay cooler on the bottom. This will help too. The cooler it runs the more efficient it will run! YW in advance!

Community Leader
Due to a moment's stupidity the other day, my desktop died. When I get the supplies, it will rise again, but until then I'm left with only my netbook; a tool that I keep strictly for writing.

Or so I thought, until I started going through spellcasting withdrawals. So, I took the plunge and installed Wiz101 on my netbook and...

It works! It works far better than I ever anticipated! Yes, the screen is a bit small to do the graphics justice, (kind of like watching the movie Titanic on a screen the size of a grapefruit) but beyond that, the game plays really well.

The only lag I seem to run into is the same lag I got on my desktop, the lag that comes when servers are full and/or connections get strained.

So now, I can take my wizards with me and indulge in adventure wherever I can find an open hotspot! I shouldn't be happy about this, but I am. No really, I shouldn't. I should be writing. I really, really should be writing, not spellcasting or contemplating mounts. That was why I got this netbook you know.

And I will! Buuuuuut first... I think I'll just take a peek and see what's happening along the Spiral today...

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
i play wizard 101 ON MY ACER ASPIRE 1 AND IT IS AWESOME :)

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
I have toshiba netbook and it is so slow with bad graphics maybe there should be a special program for netbooks?

Community Leader
One more thing! For some reason, on my netbook, my mounts seem to go crazy fast! so fast, that I'm constantly running into trees and buildings like a drunken sailor.

Survivor
Jul 22, 2009
I'm on an Acer Aspire 1 netbook as well, playing with wireless connection and it really is not too bad.

Sometimes I am aware of a slow connection. For instance, the countdown for casting spells almost always disappears at around 4 but now that I am used to it, I cast quicker. And sometimes I get drawn into fights because I wasn't quite where I thought I was. I tend to port to friends, for instance in Malistaire's dungeon rather than risk getting caught in fight. I run slower than my friends, I think.

I get all the graphics fine. I don't get the sound quality of a nice desktop. The first time I cast Cyclops on my desktop I was shocked at the low-pitched rumble that precedes the appearance of the cyclops.

Otherwise, no complaints. :)

Survivor
Oct 16, 2009
Yes, but it's terrible to work with. It's choppy and lags often when it works. Right in the middle of doing some great quest the computer shuts down. I've done everything to fix including restore to factory. It's a Toshiba laptop and my wife can play Wizard 101 on the twin computer (identical specs) but mine just can't handle a little gaming.
It's sad that I have to go back to small cpu desktop to play Wiz.

Survivor
Sep 18, 2008
HaroldArgleston wrote:
If you play Wizard101 on a netbook computer, we'd like to know about it! Please reply to this thread with information about your play experience.

Thanks!

I play w101 on a netbook, it is slower to load, and it is kind of sticky, as in it seems as if it is always loading, is it?

From,
Adam Pearlgrove

Survivor
Sep 23, 2009
I run the game on a HP mini 110. The problem that I had was that my resolution is 1024x576 so the game would not work. So I went in to defaultconfig and changed

<Resolution TYPE="STR" UITYPE="LIST" UIDATA="1:800x600,1024x768">800x600</Resolution>

to

<Resolution TYPE="STR" UITYPE="LIST" UIDATA="1:800x600,1024x576">800x600</Resolution>

and now the game runs fine.

Survivor
Nov 10, 2008
On my hp mini 110 it won't run at all. My screen resolution is under 600 height. any chance of fixing this?

Survivor
Sep 18, 2008
NeroJack wrote:
I run the game on a HP mini 110. The problem that I had was that my resolution is 1024x576 so the game would not work. So I went in to defaultconfig and changed

<Resolution TYPE="STR" UITYPE="LIST" UIDATA="1:800x600,1024x768">800x600</Resolution>

to

<Resolution TYPE="STR" UITYPE="LIST" UIDATA="1:800x600,1024x576">800x600</Resolution>

Does this work on HP INSPIRON mini?

Defender
May 30, 2009
I have 3 different wizarding accounts and had only ONE computer. So, for Christmas I found 2 Acer Aspires at a pretty reasonable rate. When they came in, of course I had to play with them. This is where my husband got hooked. I set up a wizard on my son's account for him and created a new wizard on my account so that we could quest together. The netbooks actually ran better and loaded faster than my desktop does. Those little things are awesome. I haven't experienced any lag and there have only been a few times where we have either lost connection or something minor like that. Now the problem I have is needing a 4th computer so the whole family can play together.

Survivor
Sep 23, 2009
what worked for me was to go in to the wizard101 directory go in to the C:\ProgramData\KingsIsle Entertainment\Wizard101\Data\GameData the address might be a little different but in the gamedata folder edit the defaultconfig xml document and down near the bottom you will find a like that looks like

change the 768 to 576 so it looks like

The resolution did not show up in game for me. It was just blank but the game ran fine after I did that.
Its not realy a fix its just a workaround that worked for me.

Survivor
Sep 23, 2009
adam567890 wrote:
NeroJack wrote:

to

Does this work on HP INSPIRON mini?

I would assume so its a just telling the program how to work so I don't think there would be a difference between a Dell and an HP in that respect, but there is only one way to find out, and that is to try it .

Survivor
Sep 18, 2008
HaroldArgleston wrote:
If you play Wizard101 on a netbook computer, we'd like to know about it! Please reply to this thread with information about your play experience.

Thanks!

I may have a problem, i just got a net book and i got messaged my ambrose, wu and Simeon. but when i went to them they didn't have a quest or a spell.

From,
Adam Pearlgrove
Level 36 Magus Thurgist.

Survivor
Jun 11, 2009
this game runs really well on my notebook! the quality is great!

Survivor
Feb 17, 2009
I play on a Toshiba netbook. The graphics are fine, however the crown shop does some pretty weird graphics when I try to go there. My Toshiba laptop might some day play the game, but it may be a while. I finally found a dxdiag file for the tech support - so hopefully, they will be able to help me out here. I do not own a desktop.

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
I play on my acer aspire one with a 10.1 led screen and i've got to say that compared to other computers i've used this is definately the best so far. this shows when in marleybone which my desktop computer HATES, my netbook has no problems whatsoever :D
thanks KI
~Matt
p.s. please hurry with the new worlds

Survivor
Nov 27, 2009
I played Wizard101 on a laptop, it was good ( graphics and all). But, the laptop shut down at random points while playing the game :( . Please fix this.

Explorer
Feb 09, 2009
I'm running th egame at home on an E1000HE EeePC but upgraded the ram to 2 gigs.

Have had no trouble.

Until a few months ago I was also an engineer for Sony. And ran the game on test machines of their new line of netbooks. Even the little pocket PC. It ran fine on everything I tried to run it on.

Even in Windows 7's beta releases.

Only trouble I have with it is trying to discard cards, or make choices near the end of the clock when fighting. There's a bit of lag sometimes 2-3 seconds between the clock on the screen and when you can respond. So it'll say 4 seconds on the screen but the timer ends while you're still picking spells.

Besides that the little game runs like a dream.

Survivor
Oct 08, 2009
i play on a toshiba labtop and it works good but the load is so slow

Survivor
Jan 13, 2009
I saw sonmeone post that they had issues with an error while loading the game on a Lenovo netbook. Did anyone find a resolution for this? I just bought a new one and installed the game on it yesterday. Every time that I try to load the game, it gets an error, but the error is behind the loading graphics of the game and cannot be read. Any ideas? I am sure that I could resolve this if I could see what the error says, but I can find no way to pull it out from behind the loading game graphics.

Survivor
Jul 26, 2009
HaroldArgleston wrote:

Thanks!

I do! I can't see all my gear, I can only see my starting gear. I have an Acer netbook. Ps: Author: Tabitha Rainglade