Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Do you play Wizard101 on a Netbook? Tell us about

AuthorMessage
Developer
If you play Wizard101 on a netbook computer, we'd like to know about it! Please reply to this thread with information about your play experience.

Thanks!

Knowledge is power.
Defender
Aug 19, 2008
My son plays Wizard 101 with a netbook. While we were a bit worried, he had saved up the money to buy one.

The graphics on it are better than on my high dollar laptop! I would highly recommend it for anyone interested.

For a $250.00 investment, its a great way to be able for an extra computer in the house. Working now on getting one for my mom's house so when the grandkids are there they will be able to play together...(their mom's won't send the laptops cause they just don't get it! )

I was afraid the writing would be too small for me to see (with my old eyes) but suprizingly I can read the words. (Okay some of the stuff may be too little, but then I cannot read it on my laptop either without reading glasses.)

While I don't intend to trade in my laptop for one....my son wouldn't trade his netbook for a laptop...he likes to move around the house and play.

Survivor
Aug 24, 2008
I have an Acer Aspire One 8.9 inch and I can play wizards on it fairly well on low quality graphics. It Does git a slite bit Jumpy occasionally but ussually does well.

Survivor
Apr 07, 2009
umm... it has a slight problem of turning off in the middle of the game.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
I play both on a Dell Desptop and a Toshiba Laptop, my laptop performs allot better on the laptop, which has lower spec's than the desktop. no lag, i got the setting's on max and i don't think this Laptop even meet's the Minimum Requirements....but all in all i love and rather play on a notebook

Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
I play it on an ASUS Eee EPC900HA w/ 2GB memory and it plays really great. I now love my netbook even more and it's HUGE bonus for Wizard 101. :) I do, however, notice that after letting the game client run for a few hours that the frame rate slowly gets worse and worse but a quick restart of the game clears it up.

Defender
May 29, 2009

I have played W101 on my Asus EEE1000HA (Atom N270 w/ 1GB RAM). It work fairly well. It's tolerable and certainly helps when I'm waiting at the airport or playing from my hotel room. But obviously, it's nowhere the experience from my dual core, 2GB, high-end graphics card desktop. Examples of things that are optimal from a netbook:

- porting or moving to a different area (like Commons to Ravenwood) take a very long time (~20 seconds).

- the graphics delay when your character is running makes it very difficult for a place like marleybone where there are no sidewalks. Your character just isn't where you think it is so you get into random battles more easily.

- a general lag in battle in terms of choosing and discarding cards. Seems to only happen if you tend use a discard/reshuffle strategy and you end up discarding a lot of cards.

I run at the 800x600 resolution with low graphic details. I've noticed that turning off names of everyone except the enemies help. I would (and still may) upgrade to 2GB RAM, but I watch my memory utilization and it doesn't seem to be maxing it out. Seems to be more with the performance of the integrated graphics chip. If there's a more lightweight, netbook centric version of the graphics client or the wad files, that would be appreciated, but I do understand that netbooks weren't really intended to play 3D games in the first place.

thanks,
tim

Tristan Moonweaver, Lvl 43 fire

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
Survivor
Jul 19, 2009
I have tried W101 on my Acer Aspire One 8.9". It has 1.5 GB of RAM, but I think the graphics card is the real reason behind the jumpy graphics.

If I hadn't already been spoiled with my souped-up desktop, it might have been more tolerable. As it is, it's playable but the jumpiness is quite annoying.

Survivor
Apr 21, 2009
I play W101 on a Compaq 110c netbook. It plays well with an occational "jump" in the graphics animation, but is quite tolerable.

One down side is that the resolution on the netbook is a 1024x576 display. This game currently requires a minimum 600 vertical pixel display. This is a real bummer, as I must plug in an external display in order to play the game. I travel a good bit, and this really limits my ability to play the game.

I really wish, that the game could be played on the native netbook display. Then I could play any time, and feel like I'm getting my monies worth out of the whole situation.

A light weight version of the game designed for netbooks would be ideal. Considering that the demographic that this game seems to be aiming toward, tend to have lower end PCs or netbooks, I think it would make sense.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
There are times when it can lag a bit but otherwise it is better than the PC by a long shot

Survivor
Mar 13, 2009
I do also play Wizard101 on my netbook.

Here are the UPs to playing wizard101 on a netbook:

1) I have seen Wizard101 on a regular computer and I honestly think I can see this better.

I think thats it. Thats not good :(

Here are the DOWNs to playing Wizard101 on a netbook.

1) LAG AFTER LAG AFTER LAG

2) Porting takes like a minute

3) Stopping in the middle of battles, I die when it returns to normal.

4) It takes FOREVER to load the bazaar.

More downs than ups. Not good :(

Survivor
Jun 25, 2009
I play on a refurbished Circuit City.com Acer Aspire 5515. Graphics are fine and I use wireless broadband so the speed is fine with no lag. I can play while I watch TV or travel. I also use a wireless mouse instead of the center pad.

Survivor
Jul 03, 2009
I play mostly on my dell laptop and my kids play on the desktop - sometimes I get great graphics and other times I get blocks of red for the fairy dust etc it's a real bummer! but the desktop is perfect!

Survivor
Jul 22, 2009
I play on a toshiba notebook and no problems I invested in a mouse though to help with the battles but other than that it is the same as using a desktop and more convienent - any hints on a cheap notebook i can buy cause the only problem is us fighting over who is taking the computer :)

Delver
Sep 25, 2008
Recently I bought the Hp Pavilion Entertainment PC Netbook or laptop. It has more hard drive, high definition graphics. It ha Windows Vista. Only cost me $1398 with laptop bag $1498, because the bag was $60. Um, anyway whether this is a netbook or laptop, it has wireless and I can use it anywhere not just one place.

I have not tried the game yet, but hopefully it will freeze less and crash less than my Dell Destop PC with the ATI RADEON 9250 which I read in some places it is not good. The ATI on my laptop though is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530

It works awesome, the graphics are better it runs faster. I am now less annoyed lol. All is well! Does meditation, yay, we can play again without trouble and ten times as good as before.

Survivor
Jul 18, 2008
I am on a brand new Lenevo Netbook, same stats as many have posted here. I can't seem to get the game to not error out.

I get an error, but cannot get past the error.

Any ideas?

Administrator
Would you have a moment to give us a little more information?

Which Lenovo series do you own?
What is the Native Resolution of your netbook?
Would you be willing to email us a dxdiag so we can better assess the error you're encountering? You can send it to community@wizard101.com

(A DxDiag is a utility designed to display the specifications of the user's hardware, as well as to test DirectX software, including sound and video. If you are asked for this information in an email, it helps the support group relate your gaming issue to your personal computer.

To create a dxdiag.txt just go to Start -> Run (or Search in Vista) and enter dxdiag and click OK. Once the program has run it's course, click "Save all Information" and it will output a txt file that you can attach to your email.
)

Thank you!

beauturkey wrote:
I am on a brand new Lenevo Netbook, same stats as many have posted here. I can't seem to get the game to not error out.

Any ideas?

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Jul 18, 2008
Will do!

Beau

ProfessorGreyrose wrote:
Would you have a moment to give us a little more information?

Which Lenovo series do you own?
What is the Native Resolution of your netbook?
Would you be willing to email us a dxdiag so we can better assess the error you're encountering? You can send it to community@wizard101.com

(A DxDiag is a utility designed to display the specifications of the user's hardware, as well as to test DirectX software, including sound and video. If you are asked for this information in an email, it helps the support group relate your gaming issue to your personal computer.

To create a dxdiag.txt just go to Start -> Run (or Search in Vista) and enter dxdiag and click OK. Once the program has run it's course, click "Save all Information" and it will output a txt file that you can attach to your email.
)

Thank you!

beauturkey wrote:

Any ideas?

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
I`ve been playing for almost a year on my gateway laptop with a broadband card and never have had any problems

Survivor
May 26, 2008
I have been trying to play the game on my netbook. The only thing I find REALLY annoying is that the page up and page down buttons are right next to the up/down arrows. I keep hitting the other buttons and either marking the location or going to the location I accidently marked.

Administrator
Currently the Page Down and Page Up keys are bound (in Wizard101) to Set Marker and Recall to Marker respectively.

You can edit a text file to change these settings but it takes a little work, if you’re willing.

Locate the config.xml file in the following folder:
C:\Program Files\KingsIsle Entertainment\Wizard101\Bin
(this may vary slightly with Vista)

Save a copy of the file before you do anything!

Right click on the config.xml file and Open With…Notepad.

Almost at the bottom, you will find the following entries. I know it looks a little overwhelming but it’s ok, we have a backup copy ?

Find these and delete the completely, meaning select everything between the first <RECORD> and the last </RECORD>

<RECORD>
<Alt TYPE="BYT">0</Alt>
<Ctrl TYPE="BYT">0</Ctrl>
<Event TYPE="STR">MarkLocation</Event>
<InputType TYPE="STR">keyboard</InputType>
<Key TYPE="STR">pagedown</Key>
<KeyState TYPE="STR">up</KeyState>
<Shift TYPE="BYT">0</Shift>
</RECORD>

<RECORD>
<Alt TYPE="BYT">0</Alt>
<Ctrl TYPE="BYT">0</Ctrl>
<Event TYPE="STR">RecallLocation</Event>
<InputType TYPE="STR">keyboard</InputType>
<Key TYPE="STR">pageup</Key>
<KeyState TYPE="STR">up</KeyState>
<Shift TYPE="BYT">0</Shift>
</RECORD>

Save the file, and restart Wizard101. Try pressing PAGE DOWN and if you do NOT create a marker in that location, then you were successful.

If something doesn’t quite work, let me know, and I’ll do my best to work with you to disable these keys.

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Explorer
Aug 09, 2009
HaroldArgleston wrote:
If you play Wizard101 on a netbook computer, we'd like to know about it! Please reply to this thread with information about your play experience.

Thanks!

My daughter has a Dell 10" netbook. The game runs fine except for the log in screen. When the log in screen comes up it fills the whole screen up and I can't see the user name and password entry fields. I have to blindly sign my daughter in when she wants to play.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
My friend plays it on a netbook, and it freezes up a lot. He also has to reboot the game every 20 minutes.

Blake Soulflame, Grandmaster Necromancer

Survivor
Jul 07, 2009
I play it on my Cheap little MSI Wind Netbook. The lag gets very annoying at some points, like my sister will play on the desktop and on her screen I am mile behind when on my screen it shows me right next to her. My resolution is 800 x 600 and it will only let me use fullscreen so if I want to surf the web while playing I have to minimize the window (atl+tab) and it takes about 10 seconds to do that.

I prefer playing on a desktop but for when I can't this little computer works fine.