Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Marleybone Lag

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
What's with the lag on Marleybone?

I have no problems when in Wizard City or Krokotopia, so I know there's nothing wrong with my computer or internet connection, but when in Marleybone I'm constantly laging and being pulled into unwanted fights.

... any ideas on this.

Sophia Moondust

Survivor
Jul 03, 2009
I understand everything you have said about the lag. I have found some ways around it myself, but being an adult I can stay up later. If you can stay up past 10 pm, log into Marleybone and then switch to a realm or and area to perfect, you should be able to get through it faster. I finally figured that out. Also, first thing in the morning, early before 8 am. Hope this works. I am still trying to get threw the rest of this level. The LAG is TERRIBLE. Wizard 101 needs to fix it. Regent Square gets bad so does Hyde Park.

It gets very annoying getting dragged into fights when trying to leave one because of the lag. Then you have to be penalized and lose Mana, have to go back to the fair to fill up your bottles, then have to load to go back to where you were. ANNOYING!!!

PLEASE FIX IT!!!..... Thank you.

Sestivia

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
Try turning off your quest helper. That works for me no matter which world, realm, or area I'm in.

Hope it works for you :D

Defender
May 15, 2009
It sounds like your lag is caused by diminished frame rates when there are many characters on the screen. That is a hardware issue, not a software one. (The fix is on you.)

Make sure your computer and video card meet recommended requirements.
Install your video card's latest drivers.
Turn down your graphics settings.
Only run Wizard 101 when playing (don't have anything else running, using resources).

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
RoloX2 wrote:
It sounds like your lag is caused by diminished frame rates when there are many characters on the screen. That is a hardware issue, not a software one. (The fix is on you.)

Only run Wizard 101 when playing (don't have anything else running, using resources).

I'm impressed with you computer knowledge, but if it was a hardware issue, it would also happen in other worlds as well, not just a select few.
Sephrenia wrote:
I have no problems when in Wizard City or Krokotopia...

Unless of course Sophia Moondust just happens to be in Wizard City and Krokotopia when no one else is there and in MB when it is full

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
Nathara wrote:
I understand everything you have said about the lag. I have found some ways around it myself, but being an adult I can stay up later. If you can stay up past 10 pm, log into Marleybone and then switch to a realm or and area to perfect, you should be able to get through it faster. I finally figured that out. Also, first thing in the morning, early before 8 am. Hope this works. I am still trying to get threw the rest of this level. The LAG is TERRIBLE. Wizard 101 needs to fix it. Regent Square gets bad so does Hyde Park.

It gets very annoying getting dragged into fights when trying to leave one because of the lag. Then you have to be penalized and lose Mana, have to go back to the fair to fill up your bottles, then have to load to go back to where you were. ANNOYING!!!

PLEASE FIX IT!!!..... Thank you.

Sestivia

I'm an adult too.

I have figured out that late night is best to play this game as most of the Eastern Time Zone kiddies are offline by 10:00 PM my time. I've noticed that the lag problem I have experienced is almost non-existant after this time as well.

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
KyPoBoy wrote:
Try turning off your quest helper. That works for me no matter which world, realm, or area I'm in.

Hope it works for you :D

I tried this out and it did help some, thanks.

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
RoloX2 wrote:

Thanks, but I am aware of the host of things that can/do cause lag for an online game, and I know that it's not my hardware.

I already have the game's graphics settings turned down to their minimums, and I don't run any other applications while playing.

Defender
May 15, 2009
KyPoBoy wrote:

I'm impressed with you computer knowledge,

Bah....Been doin' it for 28 years.
KyPoBoy wrote:

but if it was a hardware issue, it would also happen in other worlds as well, not just a select few.

Not necessarily true; there may be an effect that your card renders more slowly than the things in other worlds. A volcano would be a good example. Another difference may be the size and quantity of textures being higher, forcing your card to swap them in and out in MB but not other worlds.

What video card and CPU do you have?
Are you using third-party software to override video card settings (i.e. ATItool or nHancer)?
Is this in one particular area in MB or the whole world?

I have a Core 2 Duo @ 3 GHz, Win xp, GTX 260 (192 cores, not 216) @ GTX 285 frequencies, nHancer forcing maxed settings (16XS AA, 16X Aniso, High-Qual textures) and I can't get it to lag.

Survivor
Jul 03, 2009
My computers capability is over and above average to play this game. Just like Second Life where you need to have certain system requirements. Only parts of Marleybone get really laggy. Regardless of having to turn off your quest helper, not have your pet running around behind you, turning down graphics or turning off background applications for a better chance of no lag, it still doesn't fix the situation.

Hyde Park in Marleybone and Regent's Square is the worse. I have no problem with the other areas. Usually when their are little to no players on the lag gets better. Why I suggested staying up late to get the quests done if your an adult.

Also check bandwith on your computer internet connection. Sometimes you need to lower it so your computer is not working to hard to exceed the maximum amount of bandwith you have it set for. Or try raising it.

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the coding of Hyde Park and Regent Square not performing proper Memory Dumps.

Also, the Marleybone areas are WAY TOO BIG! They should break Hyde Park down to like 4 individual areas!

Survivor
Jan 12, 2010
i've also been having a problem to on my computer the last time i went on was when i was in MB. which was like 3 months ago! now i can't log on ever since that incident. my friend told me to help him. even when i download the latest drivers it still won't work. it just says''connecting to server'' then it says ''unable to connect to server'' then says a quit button :-( plz some one help me! PLEASE!

LVL21/DEATH

Mastermind
Jun 25, 2009
i figured it ALL out here are some things that cause lag in marleybone 1: ever looked at the sky with all those starts and the full moon thats one maain cause 2: ever looked in the air closely in regants square? the newspapers flying everywere 3: the final reason is i looked up the time ( judging by the civilians clothing ) it is exactly the year 1900 so i looked at the npc's clothing and i noticed very long patterns