Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Matching System is broke. FIX IT!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 10, 2009
Title says it all. Me and a good friend of mine are currently doing arena at the 25-30 level. We are a very good team and have managed to get up to 800+ ranking... The problem is we have spent alot of time and effort to get our ranking up and afford some of the crown items and the arena rewards but then every night we always ALWAYS will get a string of 4-5 matches against nothing but 50's.

THIS IS NOT FAIR. I do not spend my time and money to play this game only to keep getting stuck into fights against opponents we have no chance of matching ( I have beat 1 lvl 50 team ever and that was because they were horrible)

The argument I have seen tossed around is that if the matchup is going slow or there arent enough teams that we get paired with high levels so that we can atleast fight... I think that is stupid! I would rather not get matched up and wait for hours for a honest and fair level matchup.. I do not want to lose rank and potential points because i'm matched against 50's

So why? Why is this system setup to hand 50's easy points and kills from low levels? I say this because when my 800+ ranking gets paired against a 400-500 ranked 50 team I lose ALOT of my hard earned points.

Fix the matching system for all levels or take it out completely and remove arena. If you can't balance it somewhat then its not worth it. It's frustrating and infuritating to work so hard and then get to a point where we only face 50's. If this system isn't looking into I (like many others) will quit playing this game. If you think you can afford to lose my subscription and that of my friends you are a BAD company and you will fail.

Now that I have got that out. How many others have had issues with this system? I see post all over the forums about it, but what I do not see is responses from developers saying they will correct or even look into the problem.

Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
/agree 110%

I have a level 20 balance guy (knight rank, 657) and i am always being thrown up against 35+, generally 38-45 levels! I have all drop gear, which is not very good, and only use one bought treasure card. Absorb! Everything else is just as KI has given to the class up to that point. I am sick and tired of having to fight in the arena due to the fact that I have to fight the higher levels!

Something must be done to get an even match

I would even consider not even using the treasure card if this system were to be fixed!

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
I would have to completely agree with you. I bought some crown items at level ten and went to the arena expecting to blow away all the others with my good gear and my first match is against a level 16. I thought oh well bad luck and tried again. I won my next two matches and then i get thrown in with a level 50 and get dominated. I really enjoy PvP but when I'm going against someone who is FORTY LEVELS ABOVE me it just isn't any fun.

I think a really easy solution to this would be to have brackets such as:
1-10
11-20
21-30
31-40
41-49

I don't see why a bracket system like this wouldn't work, and if the arguement really is about wait time, then i agree with Tgrable and i would rather wait hours then lose my points.

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
I agree that the match =making system should based on level. I've noticed that ever since my brother's adept balance wizard reached the rank of captain that he's been paired aginst nothing but masters and grandmasers (though his win streak continues still thanks to judgment and my coaching ). Not only is it not fair to have adepts paired against masters and grandmasters, but some of these high levels get FURIOUS aand extremely discouraged when they lose to such a low level wizard in the arena. With this current system, I see only a lose/lose situation, with either the low level frustrated that he has to fight a high level or high levels feeling absolutely humiliated when they're beaten by these low levels who are just trying to keep their rank.

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
Tgrable wrote:
Title says it all. Me and a good friend of mine are currently doing arena at the 25-30 level. We are a very good team and have managed to get up to 800+ ranking... The problem is we have spent alot of time and effort to get our ranking up and afford some of the crown items and the arena rewards but then every night we always ALWAYS will get a string of 4-5 matches against nothing but 50's.

THIS IS NOT FAIR. I do not spend my time and money to play this game only to keep getting stuck into fights against opponents we have no chance of matching ( I have beat 1 lvl 50 team ever and that was because they were horrible)

The argument I have seen tossed around is that if the matchup is going slow or there arent enough teams that we get paired with high levels so that we can atleast fight... I think that is stupid! I would rather not get matched up and wait for hours for a honest and fair level matchup.. I do not want to lose rank and potential points because i'm matched against 50's

So why? Why is this system setup to hand 50's easy points and kills from low levels? I say this because when my 800+ ranking gets paired against a 400-500 ranked 50 team I lose ALOT of my hard earned points.

Fix the matching system for all levels or take it out completely and remove arena. If you can't balance it somewhat then its not worth it. It's frustrating and infuritating to work so hard and then get to a point where we only face 50's. If this system isn't looking into I (like many others) will quit playing this game. If you think you can afford to lose my subscription and that of my friends you are a BAD company and you will fail.

Now that I have got that out. How many others have had issues with this system? I see post all over the forums about it, but what I do not see is responses from developers saying they will correct or even look into the problem.

YES! I KNOW! i have a lvl 18 life that keeps going up against grandmasters D< it is currently a captian but ifthey dont fix it i bet it will go down D: and thats not fair

PLZ FIX IT D: it isnt fair that lvl 18 have to go up against lvl 50 thats like 3times the lvl

Survivor
May 10, 2009
I put up a suggestion on how they could change the ranking system in another thread but I will continue it here to see if people agree with it.

I think levels 1-47 should be matched off their level. I would say going 10 levels +/- in either way would be fine. Example I'm level 26 I could fight anyone ranging from 16-36. This gives me a decent match up and means the match can go either way. If say I'm doing 2v2 or the other brackets.. Just add up the levels of people in the team and divide it by team amount.

Example I'm doing a 3v3 We have a 22, 28,25 = 75/3 = 25 This gives us a team with a average level of 25 so we can fight another team thats average level is within 10 +/- of 25.

For levels 48+ This is considered "end-game pvp" in my opinion and as such should only be matched by rank at these levels. So anyone 48+ (I pick 48 because thats when you get your last spell) Will be matched to other players 48+ with a simular rank.. Say 1-2 rank +/- in diffrence.

This system would assure the high brackets of pvp are competitive and fairly matched while also allowing the lower levels to be evenly matched level whise.

If this system was put into place I almost gurantee pvp matching complaints will drop 98%

Please note the values in my suggestion can be tweak if 10 levels +/- is too much or too small.

Thanks for reading

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
i agre 1000%.
i have had the same problam as you hav. my other team mates and i are curently lvl 20-29 and they mached us to a team of lvl 50-59 and we all are life wizards but we allways lose. the only way we ever win is if we get pared with lvl 10-19. so motorators of W101 and KI pleas respond to this thred.

Survivor
Jan 11, 2009
I am lvl 50, And I think that there should be something done about this. I mean the lvl stuff is good

1- 10
11-20

And So On So on

But Sometimes i get matched with lower lvls, and i feel bad about beating them, its unfair..

And also The WAR LORDS that have the great arena clothes are hard to beat for anyone, there clothes have such high shields. Its hard to do something strong on them. So I think Warlords with those great clothes should fight warlords. Not be match with lower arena bdages.

James WaterBright
Level 50 Ice Wizard

Explorer
May 09, 2009
I agree with you infinity%.

This system is an outrage. For those of you who are just kicking off a PVP career, image that you are the highest rank possible (Warlord I believe). Now imagine going up against someone Malistaire-tough (healthwise). You lose. You continue losing. This is what happens most of the time. I have gone down from Knight rank (my personal best) to Sergant. Now I am a Corporal.

Mods of Wiz101, please hear us on this. The PVP Quick Join is an outrage and needs to be different.

Thanks.
Marcus Legendcraftre, LVL 29, LIFE storm

Survivor
Apr 05, 2009
heffy112 wrote:
I would have to completely agree with you. I bought some crown items at level ten and went to the arena expecting to blow away all the others with my good gear and my first match is against a level 16. I thought oh well bad luck and tried again. I won my next two matches and then i get thrown in with a level 50 and get dominated. I really enjoy PvP but when I'm going against someone who is FORTY LEVELS ABOVE me it just isn't any fun.

I think a really easy solution to this would be to have brackets such as:
1-10
11-20
21-30
31-40
41-49

I don't see why a bracket system like this wouldn't work, and if the arguement really is about wait time, then i agree with Tgrable and i would rather wait hours then lose my points.

I agree completely with that, but the problem lies in the amount of level fifty characters

Survivor
May 12, 2009
I must agree , whats the point of buying crown gear to pvp when you get matched with players that have 15-20 or more lvls on you. My death/balance wizard is lvl 13 and not out of wizard city and i am constantly matched with players that are in marlybone or mooshu . I think novice/initiate/adept/magus/master/grandmaster brackets would even matches up considerably . Untill something is done about the matching system i guess i will continue to be pwned by wizards i have no chanch in hades of beating.

Survivor
Jun 15, 2009
I also agree about the matching system being unfair. I fought some one with 2000 hit points when i only had 1000 how is that a fair matched battle. I notice he used a potion right before battle so it must mean he came in with low life and was matched against me cause his life was near the same as mine.... well its not fair if he joins at 1000 health and then potions to 2000 health it was a very unfair match up and i will not be participating in PvP ever again thanks to this.

Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
Yea i'm level 26 (Now), a fire mage who heck hounded all the way up to commander with almost no problems as a level 20. Then i decided to get to 26, and decided to play a couple rounds as a commander to get the duelists cape pvp gear... boom instantly all i get are level 40+ using judgement, shades, stormzillas, hellephants, phoenixes, all manner of grossly unfair stuff that overpowered me. Fortunately, after 5 or so judgement wizards beating me like mad, i faced many people with only 1k more hp than me and i was able to actually shield against them (I really hate judgement at my level, nothing i can do about it) and then i continuously one hit koed them with buffed immolates till i was warlord. Now though, i just don't want to play ranked matches... all i get are people with 1-1.5k more hp than me, and if they have judgement, i don't stand a chance no matter what i do. I mean when i got to captain or so, my matches were 11-2 wins and losses... now as a warlord they stand somewhere around 42-20... it's disgusting

Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
I agree that the match system is worthless, but that guy didn't potion before the fight, it just looks like that... the reason you ended up with him is not because he was a bad person who cheated the system, it just looks like that in every fight. Your hp will show up as +1400 or something like you potioned before every fight

Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
I totally agree that the matching system is somewhat unfair. However, for someone level 15-25 or so wearing a WARLORD GEARS is a joke. The bottom line here is you can do pvp early on, be a WARLORD or commander since you are fighting your own level, hang on to that rank and maybe not play pvp until you get to grandmaster and voila, instant COMMANDER gears for your now GRANDMASTER wizard, without fighting any GRANDMASTER. Where is the fun the fairness on that? I started doing PVP after my 4TH Grand and I find it so hard fighting wizards with COMMANDER gears be it Grand or not. If they fix the matching system, they should also fix the ARENA gears one can wear based on LEVELS and RANKS.

Developer
I see the initial post is from June 18th. We recently tweaked the matchmaking system to weight it more toward level and less toward ranked rating. Hopefully this has helped! :)

Survivor
May 13, 2009
face it there is going to be ups and downs when you fight level 50 people i am level 50 when i go to the arena with my buddy we destory everbody but the reason is because we know are plan all you got to do is think what you going to do the best thing to do is just leave the system alone beause if you change it you will see a bunch of noobs on the top one hundred thing that is why people get matched up with level 50 people is so noobs cant be on the top hundred

Survivor
May 10, 2009
nickthekid1234 wrote:
face it there is going to be ups and downs when you fight level 50 people i am level 50 when i go to the arena with my buddy we destory everbody but the reason is because we know are plan all you got to do is think what you going to do the best thing to do is just leave the system alone beause if you change it you will see a bunch of noobs on the top one hundred thing that is why people get matched up with level 50 people is so noobs cant be on the top hundred

The way you call people noobs and your poor grammar skills go along way in showing me your maturity level and biased viewpoint.

The problem is this game was not made to only be balanced at 50 and needs to be balanced threw out the system. Also you said that it will cause lower levels to see the top 100, if they work hard enough to get there then they deserve it, but I do not see many hitting the top 100. I think you are looking at this from your level 50 standpoint and want the easy wins for yourself to continue while you are being matched up against people in the 20-30 range while you and your teammate are Grandmasters.

If you want a system where the top 100 actually means something then the system will need to be balanced. Fighting people 20-30 levels higher or lower than yourself is not "Balanced" that is called broken. So before coming to the forums and calling people noobs and trying to blast your biased elitist "Only people my level should be top 100" additude try to look at both sides of the picture.

Explorer
Apr 02, 2009
Really.

I have a Grandmaster Storm Girl and when I do PVP 1v1 she totally fails at it. But in a group I do really good.

Everything is based on Strategy. I think level 50s need to go up against level 50s only.

If you don't have a good stragey no matter what you will more than likely not win. And you need to know how to move away from the stragey on the fly if its not working for a certain battle.

My lower Characters are doing better than my Storm Girl. On my death, life, balance, and fire girls I haven't even lost a battle yet. But that is mainly on stragey. Because from playing on my Storm Girl I have learned to use a good stragey that is working pretty good for me.

I had one fight with my Storm girl that I won twice against the same player because he used a small deck and all he used was Helephant. He needs to learn to use other cards as well to change up if that isn't working. I like to use Storm Lord but unless I have the time to shield and use my blades and stuff he isn't going to do a whole lot of damage. Where as even if I have one shield and one blade on and I use my triton he will do a lot of damage compared to the Storm Lord. And I use the Wild Bolt if I don't have enough pips for other spells. I use it as a filler because I don't have the acc for it to hit alot.

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
Tgrable wrote:
the reason is simple, at night there are less people on at night, so there are is a lesser chance of people being on that are in your bracket, therefor you get people farther away from you, they try as hard as they can to make it fair, so if you have a problem dont pvp anymore of only fight when a lot of people are on

Survivor
Jul 07, 2009
There is SO MANY GOOD POINTS! in these post. And this THREAD needs to be stickied.

The company Kings Isle needs to understand, PVP is a big part of alot of gamers. And this game is very enjoyable for PVP.

You will have more people buying CROWN gear ( money for kings isle entertainment) in the lower levels 1-40. When they can make good use of it not just in PVE, but in PVP where the gear shines.

So Why discourage us 10-30 with matchups against lvl 50s. Me and my brother play wizards together and love to do 2v2 matchups. But we quit out of the entire game after one or two matches because its teams of 45+ .

Now This pressures all of us in the mid range levels, to forget PVP, forget getting crown gear NOW and just GRIND to 50 so we are able to PVP without being completely rolled - by UNFAIR- teams twice our level.

Make the PVP system bracketed, like the many good ideas in this post. and you will see your income from crowns go up. Because we will find value in the mid range, and low range ranked PVP.

As a gamer of 12 years and 3 year Game design student at Full Sail, If I was with Kings Isle it would be a no brainer that a bracketed PVP system will generate more revenue for the company AND increase player enjoyment.

You guys throw emergency patches all the time, a bracket system is not hard to develop! Please work on this so I can feel justified in getting any crown gear and stepping foot in the arena ~ prior to 45.

Also No way im going to continue a premium membership (I only got it for ranked PVP) when this is such a broken system.

Every other MMO with PVP involved, Ganking is easily the most annoying and disheartening experience for a gamer. Especially younger gamers, Why allow a few people who LOVE to beat on lower levels get that form of satisfaction from this game? You have done such a good job avoiding major annoyances in current MMOs. the game plays great, but this PVP system....

Ill play a few hours a day usually, now its 20min, 2 matches where im against lvl 50s. Ah never mind Wizards, time to play ANYTHING else!

Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
I 100% agree MasterNollo!

I have decided that this in my last month of subscription on Wizard until the PVP is looked at and bracketed! There is no enjoyment in getting rolled by the higher levels. I am level 30 and i hit knight rank (650) and now all i am fighting are levels 42+.

Good luck all

Survivor
Apr 19, 2009
They match you up with higher level people for a reason since you are such a high rank to give you much more of a challenge they place you up against higher level people and if you notice those high level people are privates its only to keep your matches difficult so you can truly earn that rank now a level 20 or something going up against a level 50 i can understand that but that's the real challenge of dueling

i have a level 42 storm and he's a commander right now so every fight i get in to is against a grandmaster but there all privates its just a way to pit up someone who has good strategy against someone who just has blunt power over you that's really the whole reason

P.S. you guys are right there are sometimes when you get really unfair matches because of someone being way higher level so your still pretty right sometimes

Survivor
May 19, 2009
If I wanted to fight level 50s I would level my level 13 warlord up to 50 and pvp. Fighting people 20 levels higher than me is completely unbalanced when they have almost twice the amount of cards I have, and usually that's what me losing comes down to. Level 50s are never matched against someone higher level than they are. Either make better brackets or don't let anyone pvp until they are 50.
Everything else anyone complains about there is usually an easy counter that they just didn't think of. Wild bolt? meet storm shield. Judgement? How about a tower shield or weakness? Healing someone with 0 health? Kill the healer first. For stuns I would have suggested a stun shield that is cast rather than automatically applied, but what they implemented seems to work fine. Treasure cards? There are many shields you can easily train to stop those from killing you.
Being matched against someone twice your level or more who has a bigger deck and trained higher rank spells and potentially better gear - well there is no adequate defense against someone like that who even approaches your same skill level.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
ggb0677 wrote:
Everything else anyone complains about there is usually an easy counter that they just didn't think of. Wild bolt? meet storm shield. Judgement? How about a tower shield or weakness? Healing someone with 0 health? Kill the healer first. For stuns I would have suggested a stun shield that is cast rather than automatically applied, but what they implemented seems to work fine. Treasure cards? There are many shields you can easily train to stop those from killing you.
Being matched against someone twice your level or more who has a bigger deck and trained higher rank spells and potentially better gear - well there is no adequate defense against someone like that who even approaches your same skill level.

Your suggestions above are EASIER SAID, THAN DONE. You are not fighting a non thinker player too. You have a strategy and so are they when it comes to using bolting, judgement, etc.

Morgrim LotusShield - Storm Grand (Warlord)
Morgrim LotusWraith - Death GRand (Warlord)
Morgrim LotusBlade - Balance Grand(Knight)
Morgrim LotusLeaf - Life Grand (Knight)
Morgrim LotusHorn - Myth Magus (Sergeant)