Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Life or Death?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Apr 27, 2009
Which do you prefer?

Pros of Life:
1. Many ways to heal yourself and teammates
2. Pip requirements are reasonable
3. Excellent accuracy

Cons of Life:
1. Not many attack spells
2. Attack spells arent very powerful when they arent boosted by a death enemy or blades and traps

3. Hit points are pretty good
4. Decent Accuracy

Cons of Death:
1. Gives a dud spell: Doom and Gloom (What is the point in that?)
2. It seems there is an abundance in death enemies, which causes for more resistance

-Nathan Starsteed
Level 46 Conjurer
Secondary Life student (Planning to switch to death)

Survivor
Feb 22, 2009
I think death is better because you can heal and attack
also you can use prisms to switch when you have a death enemy

P.s. Doom&Gloom is so if enemy heals it does 1/2 as much healing(very good in arena battles)

Survivor
Dec 25, 2008
I go solo 99% of my time and I love death. If your hp gets low, just use a spell. I've had troubles with other schools - that if I start getting low, I'd better have a heal card in my treasure deck to use. Other people will argue here but I see Life (if that is your main school) as a support wizard to a group. The Life Wizards that I've talked with have said that it's difficult to solo. But... alot of people don't want to solo and enjoy fighting as a group. So I'd say it depends on the style of fighting and game that you like. I've tried different schools. If it doesn't work out, delete your wizard and make a new one.
As for Death having a dud spell or lots of enemies with death, pick a good secondary school and stick with it. Get all the spells. My death wizard's secondary school is Myth. I made sure and got all of the myth spells as possible. Her fighting strength in myth is sometimes more powerful and useful than her death. Just pick a good secondary to back up your first school.

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
As a person who is in Mooshu on her second life wizard, I enjoy the life wizards. Yes, we get limited attack cards, but with the right deck, we can have multiples of them in our deck.

As for hard time soloing. I usually solo most times, and did so on my grandmaster Life, with the exception of Jade Oni (life mob with large amounts of hit points, not sure I'd go against that solo) and Malistaire. Otherwise, there wasn't really a monster I couldn't, and didn't, win against.

Play a life wizard through krokotopia, and if you make it that far, see where else you can go with it. Same with death. May find you enjoy being a Life wizard.

Oh, and with the right deck setup, you can actually outdamage your counterparts. I do on a regular basis when I'm in battle and someone joins me.

Survivor
Aug 22, 2008
It just depends on which type of game you would rather play. Are you more of a supportive type of gamer? If so life is for you. Would you rather be right in the thick of things? If so then death is for you.

As far as a dud spell goes. I have played a few different schools now and really every school has spells you use much more than others. Granted I wasn't happy with Doom and Gloom but I have so many other good cards that it doesn't make much difference.

I much prefer the death school than life. In most mmo's I have been a healer. After a while it gets tiring. Yes you can heal yourself and you tend to fill your friends list much faster (Although that's a double edged sword.) but who wants to just sit and heal for a battle? I have found out by switching to more of a tanker I'm much happier playing. If I want to solo I will always have that option. If I want to have fun with friends they are always there to help out. People bug me less now that I'm not there to just heal them. For me it's a win, win situtation. Also you have got to love killing a monster and still coming out of the battle with full health. :D

Defender
May 06, 2009
I have a level 50 death wizard and a level 47 life wizard both of them are able to solo VERY well, neither in my opinion is a bad choice if you want to solo. Usually after the gauntlet runs in DS I am at or near full health on both classes. Of course my death wizard has a minor in healing for the pixie but I don't really use that alot only when i have a bad run of cards trying to get a partiqular one.

One key point I would say if you do choose to do life is make sure to pick up the balance blades and traps to augument your own blade and trap that will make your centaur more powerful and able to one shot the lesser enemies so that you can focus on the main boss.

As a previous poster stated every class gets a prism so that they can deal with their own class for attack. Death getting death prism (converts to life) life getting a life prism (converts to death).

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
actually if you think about it doom and gloom is good in pvp against healers and when you use death spell like wraith the health you get back is not cut in half therefore giving you an advantage against life. For example yesterday i was in 4v4 pvp and we took out one of the enemies and right when we were on the verge of winning they were healed and we ended up losing. So what I'm trying to say is that if you use it right and you're doing winning in pvp why not use doom and gloom? It could win you the fight.

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
Both life and death are excellent schools, especially if you like solo through the game. IMO the main differences in these 2 schools are that life tends to support others while death is more self focused.

Death does get 2 things that no other school gets: 1. the abilty to steal health from enemies, and 2. the ability to make enemies into allies for 1 turn.

As for doom and gloom; no its not a dud spell. Use it in the arena and see that I do not lie; opposing life wizards will hate you the moment you cast it(or any wizard that heals for that matter, its a wonderful way to say "GAME OVER"). I should also mention that doom and gloom does not affect our draining in any way, meaning that it really doesn't hurt us much at all unless you use sacrifice.

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

Explorer
May 09, 2009
I think I like BOTH equally. The main reason I chose Life was because I hated the fact that I could not heal my friends with a Myth Wizard.

Death I have never played as however I think the attack/heal aspect is handy for solo battles.

However in Life I have done many solo boss battles from healing myself. I think this occours because my secondary school is Storm which has many powerful cards (sadly this does not work out well in the Tomb of Storms :( ).

Considering boths schools I think a good combonation would be none other than Death major, Life minor.

Hope this helped,
Marcus Legendcrafter, LVL 27 LIFE storm

Explorer
Mar 22, 2009
Explorer
Dec 20, 2008
I'm a life wizard halfway through Mooshu and I've been able to solo everything so far. Battles just might take a little longer. I rarely use treasure cards and I have no second class. Still have all twelve training points to spend. Having the right deck configuration and equipment has been the way to go for me. The one thing that a life wizard does lack that all other classes eventually get is a spell that attacks all. That comes in handy when your fighting three on one.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
My main is a Death / Balance who is now pursuing Fire as I already have all of the balance spells.

I have greated a Life / Death wizard and am having fun using that with my daughter. The Life / Death combo is a very good healer wit very good damage capabilities.

With the right gear you can augment your spells to include those from other schools, I buy the necklaces with shield spells from Krok and can switch them out depending on what I am fighting.

Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
If your not doing well as a life wizard when you solo then your deck is likely set up wrong.

A few things as a life wizard or likely any wizard to help you solo.

1. Purchase a wand that is something other than life or death. Balance works great. If you have the money buy two. Switch as you see mobs change to balance. Since balance is the only thing that is resistant to it.

2. Make sure you keep max amount of attack cards . Just because you can have 3 0 pip 65 hit point heals doesn't mean you should. Same goes for life prism. You rarely need it. The only time I use it is for life boss battles and even this I hardly bother. See also #4

3. Make liberal use of your traps and your blade spells. Since later on your not really wanting to use imp. I stopped carrying imp in my deck the second I got treant.

4. Make sure your cards are relevant. I don't ever use unicorn anymore. As a matter of fact I have probably only used it 4 or 5 times and that was when I first got it when I would join a battle and see others getting waxed. I took it out of my deck. Remember when trying to position cards so you are not having to pass to get pips that less is more. The less cards you have in your deck the more likely to get the card you want when you want it.

I've solo'ed every boss from wizard to krok so far with no problems except sekra or what ever that life spider is with 1800 health.

Just remember... Your life. You can outlast them if you plan right.

------------

Boss fights. This is my strategy. Remove his helper immediately. two people beating on you is much more dangerous than one boss. They normally have the same spells as their helpers and sometimes more but two is always greater than one... Much easier to kill off the 400 - 600 hp mob than a boss with 1200.

Once it's one on one... Their as good as dead.

Oh, I did all this as a life mage without spending a single training point until level 23. I was pure life. I am now life and ice up to tower. I still have 3 other training points I haven't spent. I was just so indecisive on what I wanted, lol.

Starting marleybone now... If I run into issues there I'll let you know but so far 1 boss down and no issues.

Lial Lifemender

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2009
i got a question about doom and gloom. does it cut in hald ALL healing cards used? including yours? or just your opponents. it cuts in half all of them, that spell is useless

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
MonicaZ22 wrote:
I go solo 99% of my time and I love death. If your hp gets low, just use a spell. I've had troubles with other schools - that if I start getting low, I'd better have a heal card in my treasure deck to use. Other people will argue here but I see Life (if that is your main school) as a support wizard to a group. The Life Wizards that I've talked with have said that it's difficult to solo. But... alot of people don't want to solo and enjoy fighting as a group. So I'd say it depends on the style of fighting and game that you like. I've tried different schools. If it doesn't work out, delete your wizard and make a new one.
As for Death having a dud spell or lots of enemies with death, pick a good secondary school and stick with it. Get all the spells. My death wizard's secondary school is Myth. I made sure and got all of the myth spells as possible. Her fighting strength in myth is sometimes more powerful and useful than her death. Just pick a good secondary to back up your first school.

It isn't difficult for me to solo and I am a Life student.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
I prefer life i'm not much into the steal spells and I am ALWAYS a healer on almost every game I play and if you think about it life is stronger than death death's max damage is 510 life's max damage is 595 I have both a life and a death wizard ty for your time

Colin sparkleheart lvl 49 life wizard
and also
keelan fairy lvl 22 death wizard

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
I want to bring to everyone's attention that doom and gloom can be countered why do you think they made the sanctuary spell for? I am life secondary fire I always keep a at least 4 sanctuaries in my deck and when I going to pvp I put doom and glooms whivh i buy from the bazaar in my sideboard this is a good idea to keep both cause you never know which one your going to need if your winning sanctuary will help the other team and if your losing doom and gloom will only make it worse but when used correctly both can be very helpful.

Defender
May 28, 2009
Otys wrote:
i got a question about doom and gloom. does it cut in half ALL healing cards used? including yours? or just your opponents. it cuts in half all of them, that spell is useless

Yes, Doom and Gloom cuts all healing cards in half. This includes Sacrifice but does not include any of the "Steal Life" spells. For those of you who are upset or disappointed about the fact that steal spells are not affected by doom and gloom just remember that ALL Death spells that heal are naturally cut in half. There is no reason to add more complications to this with a spell that is naturally Death. It is intended to "Help" and "Assist" a death student by preventing their opponents from healing as much it is not intended to hinder them further. Consider this:
Average Healing per pip is ~200 hp
Average Damage per pip is ~100 hp
Average Steal type healing per pip is ~50 hp

So on average a Death student can only heal a quarter as much as a life student. Yes, they can do damage at the same time but they will never be able to "Out-Heal" a life wizard. That is why death spells completely ignore absorbs. Besides the fact that absorbs only absorb damage and don't protect you from the theft of your health.

Survivor
Jul 16, 2009
I personally think that death spells are cooler because of their damage/heal effects.