Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Great Spyre Question

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 21, 2009
Recently, a few friends and I tackled the Great Spyre. There’s nothing abnormal about that, but the thing that I don’t understand is why it only took us an hour to beat.
The warning screen at the beginning of the instance told me it would take three hours to beat. What did I miss?

To make it easier on you here is a run-through of what we did:

Great Spyre
Straight-forward run to Path of Scales

Path of Scales
Skipped all the battles here, no reason to waste health and mana.

Great Spyre
We skipped the two battles in this section of the instance by having one player enter the match, and then fleeing. The rest of the players would move on and then the player who had fled would port back and do the same thing in the next fight.

Then came the climatic elevator ride to the Dragon’s Roost.

Dragon’s Roost
The first battles in the instance were fought here, the Gurtoks Piercer and Firebender. After defeating them, each player went to a crystal stand while one went through the Howling Cave to the other crystal. Afterwards the gate opened to the Crown of Fire.

Crown of Fire
Defeated both guards and opened the door to Malistaire. The Soul Servants were killed quickly and Malistaire followed suit.

All of this was done in roughly one hour. I would LOVE to know what I missed, if anything.

Things that might’ve caused the run to be so much faster than estimated:

+Fire and Storm grandmasters with Fire Dragon and Storm Lord, they made the Soul Servant battles very short.

+Except for Gurtoks, Draconian Guards, and the pre-Malistaire and Malistaire battles, all others were skipped.

Thanks in advance,

Duncan E.

Defender
May 06, 2009
Well you did miss one boss, not that I would say it was "needed" but meh you missed it. Other then that you basically got it. FOR me I ended up solo'ing the whole thing (sigh friend went LD) so it took me considerably longer to complete the dungeon. SO long infact I refuse to do it again unless others need help with it. I believe the time on the dungeon is more reflective of a solo player then a group, because as a group it goes alot faster.

Defender
Mar 05, 2009
steveheffner wrote:
FOR me I ended up solo'ing the whole thing (sigh friend went LD) so it took me considerably longer to complete the dungeon.

Really? I was under the impression that the Malistaire run couldn't be solo'ed, that at one point three keys had to be turned at the same time so that you have to take at least three people to do it.

My Grandmaster Necromancer husband will be glad to know it's at least possible to solo, he's been waiting for my lvl 48 Thaumaturge to catch up to him so we can tackle it with one of our kids' wizards.

Defender
May 06, 2009
StarsongKY wrote:
steveheffner wrote:
FOR me I ended up solo'ing the whole thing (sigh friend went LD) so it took me considerably longer to complete the dungeon.

Really? I was under the impression that the Malistaire run couldn't be solo'ed, that at one point three keys had to be turned at the same time so that you have to take at least three people to do it.

My Grandmaster Necromancer husband will be glad to know it's at least possible to solo, he's been waiting for my lvl 48 Thaumaturge to catch up to him so we can tackle it with one of our kids' wizards.

There are two points where you need one other person, like you said for the three crystals you need one other person, and then the gate keeper mobs that need to die at about the same time you need one other person. Like I had said I solo'd out the three bosses before I managed to get somone to help me with the crystals and then he was there for the gate keepers, went link dead just as I started the first set of adds in malistairs room. Note make sure to use mark alot it helps in getting back to the dungeon if you do die and also the crystals.

Defender
May 06, 2009
Also forgot to mention when I say it took considerably longer I wasn't lieing! They say about 3 hours on the dungeon it took me closer to 5 hours and change. Now granted I did get up and take breaks from time to time and also some time spent to find others to help with the crystals and gate keepers but even still that time wasn't that significant it was really the fights and since it was the first time I ever done that I did more then was needed. Things to remeber make sure to mark, you will be fighting groups of 3 to 4, always make sure to kill atleast one so that if you do die it is one less to deal with. Also my death wizard has a minor school of life which I also used as I was preping up my death spells. His other major school is fire and well fire didn't help against fire mobs. :-(

I do wish it was easier for folks to get connected in game. :-( sigh anyways If you or your husband would like help I would be more then happy to help out. While I don't want to do it again solo, as a duo or trio would definatly be more plesant then solo.

Defender
Mar 08, 2009
0SMR0 wrote:
Recently, a few friends and I tackled the Great Spyre. There’s nothing abnormal about that, but the thing that I don’t understand is why it only took us an hour to beat.
The warning screen at the beginning of the instance told me it would take three hours to beat. What did I miss?

To make it easier on you here is a run-through of what we did:

Great Spyre
Straight-forward run to Path of Scales

Path of Scales
Skipped all the battles here, no reason to waste health and mana.

Great Spyre
We skipped the two battles in this section of the instance by having one player enter the match, and then fleeing. The rest of the players would move on and then the player who had fled would port back and do the same thing in the next fight.

Then came the climatic elevator ride to the Dragon’s Roost.

Dragon’s Roost
The first battles in the instance were fought here, the Gurtoks Piercer and Firebender. After defeating them, each player went to a crystal stand while one went through the Howling Cave to the other crystal. Afterwards the gate opened to the Crown of Fire.

Crown of Fire
Defeated both guards and opened the door to Malistaire. The Soul Servants were killed quickly and Malistaire followed suit.

All of this was done in roughly one hour. I would LOVE to know what I missed, if anything.

Things that might’ve caused the run to be so much faster than estimated:

+Fire and Storm grandmasters with Fire Dragon and Storm Lord, they made the Soul Servant battles very short.

+Except for Gurtoks, Draconian Guards, and the pre-Malistaire and Malistaire battles, all others were skipped.

Thanks in advance,

Duncan E.

Well i did it even faster i went with a lvl 38 storm, me a lvl 42 life, a lvl 45 myth, and a grandmaster death. We sped through the whole thing in 30 minutes and it was pretty nice farming on only the third try i got my life robe :-). Well we didnt kill the gurtoks so it was pretty easy for us. We just went for the crystals activated them killed the first malistaire's lair guys then went on to the second battle which was probably the longest part, but in the end a tempest + scarecrow killed them all so we went on to malistaire. Piece of cake.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
I got a robe of the wrong school my first trip through. The second time through, I got a real prize: a crate of chickens! What is with that! It looks great in the front yard of my house, but that's not much consolation.

I'll keep trying and helping folks until I get a robe of the correct school. I hope it doesn't give you just one robe and that's it!

Defender
Feb 07, 2009
totally need help with this i'll be on random realms tree for the rest of the day i'll be begging for help.
I just got the quest ad want to ginsh the story line that way i can access all of Grizzlheim.

Defender
May 06, 2009
thefireball123456 wrote:
totally need help with this i'll be on random realms tree for the rest of the day i'll be begging for help.
I just got the quest ad want to ginsh the story line that way i can access all of Grizzlheim.

Please remember a) there is a HUGE lag from when you post to the time it actually makes it on the boards, b) we would need to know your in game character name so we know whom needs the help. C) need to know what realm you are on, d) need to know a time (with timezone) to try and hook up. Ideally you would give a few days advance notice to the time you want to hook up to do this, that way it can account for the lag in post times.

I have done this on my death wizard, and working towards it on my life wizard (he's 49 and in crystal caves).

Survivor
Feb 09, 2009
Well you didn't miss anything really. The assumption of 3 hours in the warning was including the battles you skipped. So the warning was inaccurate, as most people would go through the dungeon the way you did. Or at leats that is what I did.

--Alex Day (a.k.a.) Alexis Jadeflame lvl 50 Pyromancer