Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What happens when you discard, fizzle, reshuffle?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 20, 2009
What happens when you discard, fizzle, reshuffle?

For normal spell cards (not treasure cards)...
* Discarded spells go into a discard pile (which can be later reshuffled (reshuffle spell) into the unused spell deck).
* Where do fizzled spell cards go? back into the unused spell deck? or discard pile? or are they out for the battle duration (no reshuffle possible)?
* Where do used spell cards go? discard pile? or are they out for the battle duration (no reshuffle possible)?

For treasure cards ...
* Where do discarded treasure cards go? back into the unused treasure deck? or discard pile? or are they out for the battle duration (no reshuffle possible)? or are they permanently out?
* Where do fizzled treasure cards go? back into the unused treasure deck? or discard pile? or are they out for the battle duration (no reshuffle possible)? or are they permanently out?

Defender
Dec 31, 2008
Excellent questions!

Fizzled regular cards and treasure cards go back into the unused regular deck and will eventually come up again if you keep drawing (no reshuffle required).

Used regular cards go into the discard pile and will come up again if you reshuffle. Successfully used treasure cards are of course gone for good. Getting back used cards to use again is a valid reason to reshuffle early.

Discarded regular cards go into the discard pile and will come back if you reshuffle. I believe discarded treasure cards, which you have already drawn once during the current battle, will appear in your regular deck after a reshuffle and do not need to be drawn again from the treasure deck. Now you have made me curious, so off I go to the practice arena to find out for sure! :-P

One thing I have noticed when using very small decks for testing in the practice arena is that reshuffle does not mix the cards up very well. If I discard all my wand blasts and gear cards, for example, and actually cast all my other cards, the first hand after the reshuffle will generally contain all wand blasts and gear cards, and the used cards will come up later. Some might consider this a bug....

Defender
Jan 20, 2009
Here's another little bit of information. Fizzles go back into your draw pile in a RANDOM position. It is quite possible to draw the same exact spell you fizzled even if you still have other cards in your deck.

Defender
May 06, 2009
I have a question granted I have never gotten to this point (I only do PvE). What happens to the reshuffle card when you use it. I know it will reshuffle the discard pile but will that card after it is used just be thrown to the discard pile or will it also be reshuffled into the deck to be drawn from again?

Defender
Dec 31, 2008
The spent reshuffle card (assuming it's not a treasure card) becomes the first card in the new discard pile, where you can't get to it unless you reshuffle again. However, to reshuffle endlessly, all you need are two (non-treasure) reshuffle cards and a decent memory. The first time through your deck, you can either discard the first reshuffle that comes up and use the second, or just use the first. Either way, the one you didn't use will be in the new draw pile, and the other will be in the discard. From that point on, no matter how many times you reshuffle, the one you use will go into the new discard, and the other will be put back in your draw pile. You do have to weigh the likelihood of needing a reshuffle against the cost of holding one for a long time in your hand, leaving room for only six other slots in hand to bring up actual fighting cards.