Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

under powered death moves

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 06, 2009
I think some of death's move are a bit under powered like ghoul it does 160 damage it should do a bit more i think. Also i say wraith is WAYto under powered. Professor greyrose can you please give me some reasons not to make these stronger? Also i think death needs another minion or have the one we already have use more death moves. Please consider al of this.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
You do realize that unlike most simple attacks, ghoul and wraith also heal you, don't you? If it did the same damage as if it weren't lifestealing, and then healed you on top of it, that would be ridiculously overpowered.

Defender
May 15, 2009
Don't forget that it does 160 damage but also heals you for half of that at the same time. To properly compare/evaluate a card, you have to look at the whole card.

Survivor
Jan 06, 2009
Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
boxie8 wrote:
I think some of death's move are a bit under powered like ghoul it does 160 damage it should do a bit more i think. Also i say wraith is WAYto under powered. Professor greyrose can you please give me some reasons not to make these stronger? Also i think death needs another minion or have the one we already have use more death moves. Please consider al of this.

8)
Ok, settle down, class; Time for a review on Buffs.....

Try this combo, which you should have loaded up in your Death Deck, if you are a competitive player at all :

Ghoul (the weak spell) + Death Blade + Death Trap + Curse

Now, if you say the end results of THAT is weak, I openly ask what you think is strong, since the 3 extra Spells there create about a +90% damage boost.

Its not the individual spells, fellow necromancer; Death's strength lies in its combinations. My own fave is Vampire + DeathBlade + Death Trap + Curse, a combo I have used to score one-hit Kills on a few of the higher level Bosses....

Live and learn; and if that doesn't work, get someone to help you...

Scarlet SkullHammer (Death 41, Black Cat Pet, "Shadow")
8)

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
who do we get our death minnions and at what level i cant seem to get mine im a level 24

Administrator
Each school has at least one minion, here are the levels that the minions are available through a quest.

Fire - level 28
Ice - level 28
Death - level 28
Storm - level 18
Life - level 18
Balance - levels 18 and 38
Myth - levels 2, 7, 18 and 38

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
Death is actually one of the most powerful classes. Let's look at casting vs a 'same school' foe....

Consider the following, listed first cast:

Death Foe has spirit trap, convert death to life, another spirit trap, a death trap, curse and feint.

You have spirit blade and death blade.

You cast Wraith:

500 x 1.4 = 700
700 x 1.35 = 945
945 x 1.7 = 1607
1607 x 1.2 = 1928
1928 x 1.25 = 2410
2410 x 1.25 = 3012
convert to life
3012 x 1.25 = 3765
assuming a boss with 35% resistance to death/35% bonus to life
3765 x 1.35 = 5083

Not too bad really.

Defender
Dec 31, 2008
It's good to have a minion that doesn't use your own school of magic. They won't destroy your traps before you get to use them on those great combos you'll be setting up. Sometimes my ice minion decides to throw a frost beetle at the foe I have been putting traps on; then I have to choose either losing the traps or casting my larger ice spell immediately before I have my other buffs in place. Believe me, keeping their damage separate from yours is a good thing.

Also, your animate card gives you 14 different minions (one for each number of pips you can put into it), which I believe have somewhat different spells available to them (someone from Death School correct me if I'm wrong). So you have the most minions of any school, just not as varied as some others.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2008
Underpowered? Ha, Death is one of the best. Their blades are 40%, ghoul, vampire, wraith and scarecrow steal health, while bypassing spirit armor. They have traps, curse, feint, and through items, another death trap. Not to mention tri-swords, and treasure cards.

Explorer
Apr 17, 2009
I would also have to agree that the death spells are just right. My grandmaster necromancer typically is the tanker in my little group when we do malistair runs. I have even soloed Malistairs dungeon just to farm the gurtoks. I do not know many schools that can boast this. You have to fight four creatures solo and IMO any other class would have some difficulties.

BTW, DEATH RULES

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
Yeah our spells are just fine, though until we got scarecrow our battles against multiple opponents used to really drag on for quite a while. The draining definately makes up for the low damage.

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
ok about the underpowered moves: DEATH- heals at same time. look when you do damage bye itself not vey good heals little add all the death boosts and the balance blade things it heals a lot

I was able to solo the entire game except for malistare and big ben(i almost soloed big ben but i missed and meow boy kilt me ) and all my friends ask me for help because they hit just as hard if not LESS damage than i do and i heal ALL the way up. after you get feint and wraith the game is very simple. i say death is best :) :D

Travis Spiritstrider,
Grandmaster Necromancer

Tyler Spiritstrider,
Grandmaster pyromancer

Survivor
Aug 09, 2008
I've got to agree with the consensus here -- if anything, Death is by far the STRONGEST school in the game. It's the traditional necromancer/warlock class of many MMORPGs -- built for soloing.

Not only do they have more effective (and just plain MORE) unique damage boosting spells at their disposal, but they also have the benefit of never having to sacrifice the offensive potential of a turn in order to heal themselves.

Making our max damage as high as Storm would be a recipe for completely overpowing the school .... unless accuracy then fell to 65%. I doubt any necromancer would want THAT. :P

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
first off my friend never stops bragging to me about how his death moves are the strongest like this: My vampire hits 700's with just a 40 percent boost without any clothing boost, which is the stupidest thing to say because after that he tells me. but my skelatal pirate only does like 500's with a 40 percent boost! second you all think death is the best but it isn't. they all have there strengths and weaknesses. death was built for solo play so it may be stron to you but if this happened in a pvp arena you'd be doomed:4v4 one side all deaths other side one balance and two life and 1 fire. balance and life were met to group battle and fire would just be are hard hitter. we all have same health same mana same clothing. there is an 80 percent chance we will win.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2008
Ebilmage,

First of all, a five-pip skeletal pirate will hit close to 500 damage NAKED, with absolutely no boost to damage. This is listed right on the card itself (if you don't believe me, log in to the game yourself and LOOK at it). You must be fighting death-based monsters if you actually require a damage boost to get up that high.

Second -- I often do close to 700 (or over) with a simple 40% death blade boost on vampire. You're not taking into consideration damage boosts on equipment, nor the resistances/weaknesses of monsters of varying school. Your overall damage tends to go up over time, as you increase and level, and your gear improves.

Mastermind
Oct 17, 2008
You think DEATH spells are under-powered? Try being Ice... or even Life...

As others have been saying, Death also heals you. In fact, notice how much the damage of Death spells that don't heal you as well increase in damage. Like Skeletal Pirate, for instance. This Adept spell hits more than my Master Colossus. Death is made for healing as well as attacking. Compare it to Life. Except for maybe Seraph and Centaur, Life hits basically nothing, and it has no spells to increase damage. On the other hand, Death has Curse, Feint, DeathBlade, Death Trap, and probably other boosts that at the moment I can't think of. Life only has LifeBlade and Life Trap, and Life Trap only boosts 20%. My sister Rowan is Life... I would know.

I am mainly a Thaumaturge. However, Death is my secondary school, and I often find myself relying on it more than my ice spells BECAUSE of what it hits. Wraith hits 600 damage AND heals. Colossuss hits a little over 500, and it doesn't heal. I think they even have the same accuracy.

And I do realize that the schools are meant to be this way; Ice is meant to have low damage because of their health, and Life heals, doesn't really hurt. But I really do feel like you are taking your wonderful power for granted.

Sierra Winterbreeze, Ice
Laura DarkGlen, Death

Survivor
Jan 06, 2009
ya i guess death is pretty good i can't say its underpowered now.

YA DEATH DOES RULE! :twisted

thanks guys

lvl.45 necromancer james lion

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
scheletro wrote:
who do we get our death minnions and at what level i cant seem to get mine im a level 24

Your at level 24? HA i'm at level 31 and I don't have it!

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2009
no, death is overpowered as it is, you guys steal health, and you have 2 healing cards pixie (400) and sacrifice (250 damage then 700 healing). based on the deck i have, you can use those healing cards 4 times each. death is over powered on under powered

Explorer
Feb 07, 2009
Uh i was about to post a new topic saying DEATH IS OVER POWERD!

It has big boost so when you get feint and skulltail pyrite you can do 5,000 damage! I CANT DO THAT

-------------------------------
aLEX WILDBREAKER

Defender
May 15, 2009
Survivor
Jan 06, 2009
K first off guys this has been helpful but still i mean isn't storm to overpowered because a ghoul with 90% boost is about as much as a storm bat flat so.. really storm is well lets just say BOOMING!

Survivor
Apr 14, 2009
I play a Necromancer, and while yes we do get 4 spells to incease our damage, two of those spells can be used by anyones attack while one turns around and gives us a trap so that we take more damage from the next attack.

Our minions, although we technically get 14 of them... are less then helpful. 10 pips for a minion who casts death blade on its self, passes a turn and then casts Cyclops or Thunder Shark... oh yeah an awesome use of 10 pips.

Also our strongest non-life stealing attack Skeletal Pirate takes 5 pips, and has a chance to do a LITTLE bit more damage then Wraith is guaranteed to do.

We are the best solo-ers because of our life-steal spells, but we are also the best suited to help any class in any situation. We can cast a heal at the cost of some HP or we can give anyone on our team 3 pips, at the cost of 1 pip and 500 Base death damage.

Our damage output is low because are attacks aren't just attacks on top of the fact that we get the widest variety of spells that not only benefit us but anyone fighting with us (Feint/Plague/Sacrifice/Empower/Curse).

If anything I would like to see Scarecrow get a little of an upgrade. I would like to see it divide the damage it deals among all party members, instead of it just healing me for 4800. Could even divide it like this: Solo: Damage/2 back as HP, Self+One other: Damage/3 as HP to Party, Self+2: Damage/4 as HP to Party, and Self+3: Damage/5 to Party.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
scheletro wrote:
you have to get he quest from the death assent (death teacher) he will tell you to beat fredy nine lives (you have to beat fredy nine times so get the poitions things)