Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Leaving the game running during a dungeon? Adminis

AuthorMessage
Defender
Apr 27, 2009
I am really far into Katzensteins Lab in Marleybone and am finding myself in the predicament that I have to go. Is it alright to leave the game running without any activity going on? Will it affect my game or my computer itself. I minimize the game though.

*Preferably answered by an administrator or someone who knows a lot about computers*

Defender
Jan 20, 2009
The game will run just fine in the background, and, provided there is enough system memory, you may do whatever you wish with the game running in the background.

However, the game will log you out after 15(?) minutes of inactivity.

Defender
Nov 05, 2008
nlhf1995 wrote:
I am really far into Katzensteins Lab in Marleybone and am finding myself in the predicament that I have to go. Is it alright to leave the game running without any activity going on? Will it affect my game or my computer itself. I minimize the game though.

*Preferably answered by an administrator or someone who knows a lot about computers*

when you need to leave the computer make yourself spin so that you are still "active" by the game. i am lucky enough to be able to play at work and there are times when a customer comes in and i need to "pause" the game and this is how i do it, press right or left arrow then the enter key at the same time and i spin. I have been doing this since october and have had no problems with the game or my computer

Explorer
Apr 17, 2009
If you have to leave, just get your character into a safe area in the instance and press left or right in the keyboard and than hit the "num lock" button. This will cause your character to run in circles and not be seen as inactive.

Defender
May 06, 2009
Well you can leave the game running, trust me I have left wizard101 run for a long time although i do notice that if it runs for too long the hardware cursor seems to vanish and i have to swap to the software cursor. I assume that is just a memory issue. ANYWAYS sidetracked a bit, what will happen is about after 15 or so minuites your character will be marked as inactive and you will be forced out of the game. Now since I haven't actually tried this in a dungeon this is what I would expect, 15 minuites you get booted, 30 minuites after that the dungeon progress you had is gone because you weren't there.

So long story short yea you can, but it really won't help unless you plan on comming back really soon.

Explorer
May 31, 2008
I think wizard101 Runs a Script, or software that automatically signs you out or disconnects you after you are inactive for a certain amount of time. A way to combat this if your reasons are good is to press to arrow keys, then shift, which puts you on auto run, thus the game thinks you are still playing.

Also, i forgot to say, it might be a bit of code written into the game, or really, just a simple error that i have experience when i am off the game for a long period of time ;)

Hope this helps your current run, or the next one(Your run will be over by the time this message gets approved).

-Swift

Defender
May 15, 2009
The game will disconnect you for inactivity and your instance will expire 30 minutes after that.

For the computer itself, I leave all of mine (four) running 24/7. Continuously powering them on/off is harsher than leaving them running.

Have an UPS on them if you don't already. I recommend APC.

Explorer
Feb 07, 2009
As an aside, I was in an instance/dungeon that was taking longer than I had anticipated. My dog had an appointment at the groomers. In the time it took me to take drop her off and come back, the game had logged me off. But I went back into the instance, and it had not reset yet, since it was less than 30 minutes after I had left it. I understand that if you log out while in an instance, it resets it, but apparently, if the game logs you off for inactivity, it will not automatically reset the instance when it logs you off.

Survivor
Aug 20, 2008
Leaving the game running while you leave won't hurt your computer. Best way I have found to take your time with long instance levels, especially when soloing involves a simple toddler toy. Its a chain type toy made of plastic links. You just pop it over the right aarow key on a lap top or the space bar on a traditional keyboard and your set. You will spin and or jump endlessly till you come back.

Survivor
May 10, 2009
I was fighting Dr. von katzenstein in katzensteins lab and i was there playing and it took me out of the dungeon even though i didnt die, could someone fix that

Survivor
May 12, 2009
speaking of kazentians lab i am sick and tired of not being able to walk two feet withought getting attacked and i am just about angry enough to delete my account again :x