Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Do nothing group members...your thoughts ?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 24, 2009
There is a minority (thank goodness) of players who will join your solo fight.......dragging 2 more monsters into the fight.Then they just sit there and buff themselves until you kill all the monsters or die.Is there any way to stop this besides the inconvience of fleeing ? Happend again today, and I finished the fight with difficulty. I ran away after the fight buffed up and really thought of doing the same thing to the person who did this. However they spared me the retaliation by dieing to their own monsters before I could drag two more in.There should be a way to prohibit this type of behavior. Any suggetions/thoughts ?

Defender
May 15, 2009
hehe I know what you are saying. I just had a fight where one guy was afk (so the timer would always run out) and the other ran out of mana--in a regular ho-hum hallway in Krok. (BTW, is there any point to accumulating pips if one is out of mana?) At least they were damage sponges while I picked off all the leezards I needed anyway. :)

Try to find secluded/unpopulated areas, corners, etc. on low-population servers/areas. You can mitigate it, but not prevent it entirely afaik.

On the plus side, it forced my enhancing my deck, strategy, tactics...

Survivor
Apr 24, 2009
I had two more on two seperate occassions this am. First time I just won the fight and gritted my teeth(almost). Secont time i aked if they were going to fight and they refused to talk so I fled....one second later they fled as wel. I refuse to fight along side non fighters.....So just join..want 5-6 pips to get their "uber card" and wont cast till they get it. I just leave now..my only answer for now.

Explorer
Feb 07, 2009
Obviously, if they are casting spells, then that is one thing. But occasionally, I will lose connection during a duel. In that case, it looks like my wizard is doing nothing, which is true, but I am actually frantically trying to log back on (it takes SO long to quit when this happens--often no other option but to quit is given, and most of the time I have to restart the modem and router).

So don't assume a player is AFK or just watching you do their work if their wizard is doing nothing. If they suddenly begin to do stuff again, they may have disconnected and then managed to reconnect before the end of the duel.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2008
Personally, I find unwelcome visitors to a battle the most aggravating part of the entire game. :(

I do like Wizard 101 very much, but I think it could stand to take a page out of the book of several other MMOs, in which a character will "tag" a monster when it's first engaged, thus making it impossible for another player to jump in and attack it without an invitation of some sort from you.

I do understand that Wizard 101 is unique in that all battles take place on the same circular "battle areas," and so space is limited.

....perhaps something could be worked out to reduce the countdown timer, at least, so that AFKers aren't nearly so aggravating? 30 seconds is waaaayyy longer than is necessary to discard/draw cards, and make a solid decision. I can understand 30 seconds for new players in the first few areas of Wizard City, but after Krokotopia, it's just too much. 15 seconds would do, and would move things right along.

Really, I'm learning to avoid anyone with the "no text chat" icon over their heads like the plague. :(

They tend to port in unannounced out of nowhere, jump into a fight without warning, mysteriously go AFK (or just flee), and leave you to mop up the friends they brought in.

Survivor
Apr 24, 2009
Would be nice if the IGNORE command also allowed you to keep those on "ignore" from joining your fights.

Survivor
Nov 17, 2008
I find this very annoying as well.

What i would love to see added in the future is an option that you could toggle between "open group" and "fixed group".

If the "open group" option is selected anyone can join the fight.

If the "fixed group" is selected, you would have the option of inviting people into your group ( like group work in other MMO's.) and only the people in your group could join the fight.

Defender
May 15, 2009
dukelexon wrote:
...take a page out of the book of several other MMOs, in which a character will "tag" a monster when it's first engaged, thus making it impossible for another player to jump in and attack it without an invitation of some sort from you.

That won't work with the ad hoc groupless combat (which I like). In other MMOs, you have the same dead-weight group members (either play the game OR watch football; you can't do both!) My point is that its six on one side, half-a-dozen on the other. Pinheads are everywhere; when you run into one, just move elsewhere afterwards. W101's format makes it real easy to do that.

Then there's competitions for resources.....which W101 is superb about that, in part to the ad hoc system...

dukelexon wrote:

....perhaps something could be worked out to reduce the countdown timer, at least, so that AFKers aren't nearly so aggravating? 30 seconds is waaaayyy longer than is necessary to discard/draw cards, and make a solid decision. I can understand 30 seconds for new players in the first few areas of Wizard City, but after Krokotopia, it's just too much. 15 seconds would do, and would move things right along.

30 seconds is plenty for soloing, but it is divided amonst four players, which makes for just the right amount of time. (Unless you aren't paying attention to what your teammates are doing and you just do your own thing regardless...then shame on you.)

dukelexon wrote:

They tend to port in unannounced out of nowhere, jump into a fight without warning, mysteriously go AFK (or just flee), and leave you to mop up the friends they brought in.

Keep a tidy friends list. As in, don't add anyone until they've proven worthy.

You want to be careful changing game dynamics to compensate for troublesome players.

Defender
Nov 05, 2008
vyconia wrote:
I find this very annoying as well.

What i would love to see added in the future is an option that you could toggle between "open group" and "fixed group".

If the "open group" option is selected anyone can join the fight.

If the "fixed group" is selected, you would have the option of inviting people into your group ( like group work in other MMO's.) and only the people in your group could join the fight.

i have been asking for changes to the port options for a long time it is great that now you can see were your friend is before porting but it is worse for those who are port and run types, or followers who just want to see. I personaly take only text people as ffriends and make it clear you port with out asking i will deleat you, but this does not stop the friends of friends from doing it. this is my first ever mmo but i think it would be great to lock out porters or give us the option of who can port to us