Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm Rant

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 28, 2009

This thread is so people know what they are getting into when they choose storm as their main school.

Hi. I have been bothered by this for a while but havent spoke up untill now. I think other storm wizards agree with me in saying that the storm minion is pointless in most cases except in boss fights when your buy your self. Its not fair that in pvp a fire dude can summon his minion and it use fire elf while mine can only taunt, and shield it self. I mean cooooome on. At least let it shield me.

Another thing. Hitting high does not make up for low hit chance and low health. I mean what is the point of a spell that can it one thousand but only has a ten percent hit chance. And yes i am talking about while bolt.

One more thing before i get to the good things about storm. What is up with the colors? Purple and yellow? I rather wear all brown and call myslef a balance wizard.

Ok, enough of the bad things and on to the good.

Storm moves hit so dang high. With tempest i have hit over a three thousand to every one on the field (i bet people have hit higher so dont be saying things how you hit higher and stuff)

Storm moves look by far the best out of any of the classes. Have you guys and galls seen triton? I just got it today and holy macaroni that this is awesome. Stormzilla. I am speechless, it pretty much speaks for it self.

Well thats all I have to say. Please feal free to post your thoughts and don't be afraid to dissagree with me as long as it iis within the boundries of the forum rules.

Survivor
Sep 25, 2008
TY! MY dude this is really hard being a storm user and now i feel like i should have a different secondary instead of fire no offense pro.Flamea.

But it is just such a pain with the lowest accuracy and lowest health if i do one of those multiple lvl towers i have to call friends.

Trust me it can be annoying once again no offense pro.Flamea. and my favorite teacher (Malistare i hope you say thing about this) PRO.Balestorm.
your my favorite anphibian/reptile.

Survivor
May 10, 2009
VIIV wrote:

This thread is so people know what they are getting into when they choose storm as their main school.

Hi. I have been bothered by this for a while but havent spoke up untill now. I think other storm wizards agree with me in saying that the storm minion is pointless in most cases except in boss fights when your buy your self. Its not fair that in pvp a fire dude can summon his minion and it use fire elf while mine can only taunt, and shield it self. I mean cooooome on. At least let it shield me.

Another thing. Hitting high does not make up for low hit chance and low health. I mean what is the point of a spell that can it one thousand but only has a ten percent hit chance. And yes i am talking about while bolt.

One more thing before i get to the good things about storm. What is up with the colors? Purple and yellow? I rather wear all brown and call myslef a balance wizard.

Ok, enough of the bad things and on to the good.

Storm moves hit so dang high. With tempest i have hit over a three thousand to every one on the field (i bet people have hit higher so dont be saying things how you hit higher and stuff)

Storm moves look by far the best out of any of the classes. Have you guys and galls seen triton? I just got it today and holy macaroni that this is awesome. Stormzilla. I am speechless, it pretty much speaks for it self.

Well thats all I have to say. Please feal free to post your thoughts and don't be afraid to dissagree with me as long as it iis within the boundries of the forum rules.

The things you are complaining about are the downsides to the class that are there to balance it. With high damage comes lower survival and more risk. If you look at how they have setup the classes you would notice a few things.

A. The higher damage of the spell the lower the spell hit rating normally is. This is to ensure that over time they do around roughly the same dmg but also provides more burst and frontload damage for the damage classes while keeping the others competive in damage overtime due to less fizzles.

Etc. If you are storm and can hit for 1000 in on attack but miss 70% of the time then that fizzle doesn't hurt you at killing the mob quick most of the time.
Now if you hit for 500 85% of the time that fizzle can set you back a good bit on killing something expecially if you get multiples where as the higher damage school makes up his huge dmg next turn.

One player would take two turns to kill a mob where as the other takes one. It's only reasonable that the one that can kill it fast has a draw back which is fizzles.

B. The more Burst and high damage attacks you can do results in lower survival. (This is the general concept but obviously there are still balancing issues aka balance school) So if you can do alot of damage quick you also should beable to be killed quick. You have classes with high defense and lower attacks, then you have medium ranged attacks with medium defense. The last is what storm and fire fall into and that is High offense with lower defense, but luckily for these classes a high offense is also a form of defense.

C. As for the pets. I think myth is about the only class that is happy with their minion. The other minions that all wizards get at varius levels are just there to help you solo for the most part. Yours may taunt, but a minion that can take aggro off you is very useful. You compared it to the fire minion but sadly the fire minion is more of a problem for a fire wizard than a benefit. He casts fire elf true, but it fizzles alot and also breaks traps the fire wizard is depending on for his big spells. So each minion helps and is useful in its own limited way which I think was the intention of KI, because we are not pet classes after all.

What it comes down to is what do you want to do and be.
Do you want high damge?
Do you want High defenses?
Do you want to heal?
Do you want powerful minions?

In the end those answeres directly affect each other and you can only pick one generally. The weakness have to be there for this game to have any balance at all. If you could go storm with high hit rate,higher defenses,and a strong minion. Then everyone would be storm because there would be no point in making anything else.

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to express my opinion on this matter.

Survivor
Apr 18, 2009
OP, I feel you pain. Leveling a storm wizard as your first character can be rough, since it's sometimes fustrating to make all the right choices in a battle and still lose to some bad fizzles.

The fix is on the way for you, fortunately... since you're just getting Triton and Stormzilla, that would put you in mooshu. That is where you can start getting good gear with accuracy, which will start making a big difference. Wild bolt is a 10% chance, but top level gear will get it so that you will be hitting with it 50% of the time.

Storm wizards will have low health when at top level, but that doesn't mean that you will necessarily have low health while leveling... I farmed all the krokotopia on-level for the gear, and I often had more HP than ice wizards at my level. There was no gear around that could replace any of it until late mooshu. Then again, the amount of farming that it took has made it so that I haven't farmed a dungeon since... :(

The minion is always going to be terrible.

Y'know, speaking of fizzles... Since playing a storm wizard, I'm thinking that the fizzle chance on the cards might not be enitrely accurate and that the computer manipulates the odds while leveling. I find myself fizzling spell after spell when I'm about to 1-shot a mob before it has spent it's pips on it's first attack, and then never fizzling again after that. Likewise, it is rare to fail a spell where doing so would kill me in the next couple turns. I think the computer manipulates the odds enough to make the fights challenging without making them impossible (on purpose). This is just anecdotal and no real proof at all, but I wouldn't be suprised if someone tested it and found it to be true.

Defender
Aug 01, 2008
I like my minion. I went in with him and one other player (at level 22) against the Death Oni and won the first try. Mooshu was a breeze. And it only took me, a level 18 friend and my minion to get though Big Ben Tower the first try. And me with my minion alone had no trouble with Smogger. That he can keep one monster distracted has helped me out a great deal. When he pulls out a small attack, that's just gravy. I think everyone has some dislike or complaint about their minion. I hear a lot of Life School people don't like theirs much either.

As for fizzles... yeah, but like others have said, that is the trade off for higher damage. But I like to think that it helps me focus more on strategy more. And I do plan for fizzles. But I will say this, I do mostly storm yet I also grab here and there from a few other schools. I also keep several decks, each tailored to the type of monster I'm facing. My "Versus Storm" deck naturally has a lot of myth and shields in it. So before I run into battle, it's just a quick switch of my deck and I'm ready to go.

I like the storm spells best. Triton, Stormzilla and Kraken are just fun. I wish KI would make little figures of the Kraken so I could keep one on my desk. I'd also love to see some storm pets in the game, like tiny krakens running around or tiny Stormzillas.

The colors are the last thing I think about. They're so easy to change. You'll rarely see me in purple. But I was in the Headmasters office just an hour ago and it was like clones. So many players had on red with black trim. I swear I almost thought I was looking at a glitch. After that, the most popular color seemed to be black with red trim.

Survivor
Nov 16, 2008
The minion is great for fighting computer players. Utterly useless in pvp. Do taunts ever work on human players? Honestly, I don't know if a human player can have their attack options limited due to a taunt. I would like to see a minion that either attacks, or defends me but I've made it through OK without them.

The spell power is awesome. Throw in a deatch school feint, and enjoy the damage.

Fizzles annoy me. I've actually tracked them, and it is less than 70% successful (even with accuracy boosting equipment). I also agree with the timing of a previous writer, but I too have no proof of that. It just seems very odd that you can predict a fizzle. If that is true, perhaps that attributes to the low cast success I've seen as I tend to try to defeat all my enemies in one glorious spell.

Really? someone actually can boost a wild bolt cast rate by 40%? I don't believe it. I'm curious as to what you found and where? I want that equipment if it exists. I've farmed too, and found nothing in any combination that will boost your accuracy that much. School specific clothing is available to boost it some, but leaves you too vulnerable to other school spells as storm cannot afford to loose any hit points.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
I agree with VIIV. But there is only one thing. It is sort of fair because storm has more powerful attacks than any other school. That's also probably why storm wizard have lass life. Because the other school attacks do less damage than storm. But I still agree abut the minions. :D

Defender
May 06, 2009
Well I am not storm I am death, and well I will relate my experiences with a pet. I find that if I summon a pet with too many PiP's he has a very strong tendency to be a very anoying pet anywhere from constantly casting death spells (breaks all of my traps) to just standing there taunting and sheilding himself. I also found that around 3 pips is my magic number maybe I am just imaging it but at that number he doesn't really cast death spells at all to very infrequently and he doesn't seem to taunt and self buff himself all day he just does damage, fire dot, lighting bats, snowman, puts on death trap and casts weakness atleast I think thats most of what he does.

Defender
Aug 01, 2008
mg9189 wrote:
The minion is great for fighting computer players. Utterly useless in pvp. Do taunts ever work on human players? Honestly, I don't know if a human player can have their attack options limited due to a taunt. I would like to see a minion that either attacks, or defends me but I've made it through OK without them.

I don't play PvP, so it doesn't matter for me. But no, the taunts don't affect the other players abilities. And a storm minion is pretty useless in that situation. But my minion can attack, at least with a ghoul spell. So that is of some small benefit. But for trying to solo the game, I'll take my storm minion and his taunts any day.

Survivor
Dec 04, 2008
Oh how I feel the pain,and the loss of hair from grandmastering my storm wizard.I do feel it's unfair to have very little energy and on top of the high fizzle rate very little mana.as for the clothes I have 12% target on top of that wonderful 70% and I still have that same fizzle fun time as before and even when I add the other 10 % target charm on I will fizzle on it.I seems to me it's my first 3 spell cast I do I will fizzle on and it's not on 3 diff spells it's the same spell over and over again and then I try another spell guess what fizzle.I have dub myself as the Fizzle Queen and think at least I should have a badge for it and at a new hair peice for the times my hair fell out.
I also found if I am with a group of people I like to pass on the fizzle curse where we all fizzle.It just warms my heart that they can feel my pain

As for the pet well I found it very helpful when I get down to just the boss and thne cast him out so he can taunt him and take the heat off of me for awhile so I can heal,thank goodness I have heal as second or I think I would have just deleted that wizard and started over.

All in all I do like storm when it works and I don't have to solo,but for now I will stick with my Death wizard where I can solo 90% of the time and didn't worry about energy, just the mana.

ok thats the end of my rant for now till the new world comes out

Survivor
Apr 18, 2009
mg9189 wrote:
Really? someone actually can boost a wild bolt cast rate by 40%? I don't believe it. I'm curious as to what you found and where? I want that equipment if it exists. I've farmed too, and found nothing in any combination that will boost your accuracy that much. School specific clothing is available to boost it some, but leaves you too vulnerable to other school spells as storm cannot afford to loose any hit points.

It's not through school clothes alone. You can get around +35% through school clothes, and accuracy cards will take you the rest of the way. Other than that, you are right: that is pretty meaningless for PvP unless they make arena clothes with more accuracy... the health and defense are too important.

With the minion... I think it has 2 problems. One is that assuming you cast it off of 2 power pips, it takes 4 turns before it does anthing useful, and it is EASY to pull aggro off of it with the amount of damage that storm does... I guess I would consider using it as a "Plan C", but I usually just use those 4 turns to kill something off. They can't do damage when they're defeated.

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
IMO, taunting as a mechanic needs to be seriously looked at, because it has little to no bearing on who the baddies come after. NO MATTER WHAT, they will always comes after whoever casts the biggest spell (which will usually be storm :(), so the minion's taunting helps the wizard NOT ONE LITTLE BIT. And about wildbolt having 40%, yes it is possible, it's done by equipping a full pvp gear set (the gear requiring commander rank and above) and using accuracy boosts.

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer