Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Dueling - Match-ups Question

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 11, 2009
I've recently gotten in to dueling. I like the way it works but I have a question about match-ups.

I've had 4 duels so far and in those 4 duels I was matched up with someone lower than me, someone my level, one I'm not sure about, and just last night, someone 9 levels higher than me.

I was simply out-powered last night and never really had a chance, I flat out couldn't keep up in strength of spells AND ran out of cards well before the other person.

I'm not in any way upset that I lost, it was a very fun fight. I'm just curious how the game decides how to match up players. Is it completely random or is there a level tier system in place?

I'm lvl 20 and the person I fought last night was 29 so I'd be willing to understand if I was on the bottom end of a tier, and him on the top, I'm just curious.

I'm going to try to start earnng tickets but if I know I'm at the bottom of a tier I'll wait until I level up some.

Thanks

Survivor
May 15, 2009
I am lv5 and just left a match against a lv18. This is ridiculous. 13 levels apart .. come on. And whats even worse is.. i lost like 18 rank points for losing. This ranking battle system is not matching up players in tight enough tiers. I am very disappointed.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
it would seem that level isn't as big an issue as winning if you are winning and you go from private to say sergeant then you will be matched with as the first criterior even if the wizard is a master and you are an apprentice they match on how many games each of you win.

I am not sure of this but it seems that has been my experience.

Defender
Mar 08, 2009
kegerseth wrote:
I am lv5 and just left a match against a lv18. This is ridiculous. 13 levels apart .. come on. And whats even worse is.. i lost like 18 rank points for losing. This ranking battle system is not matching up players in tight enough tiers. I am very disappointed.

Well I think you should level up some more before doing arena so this doesnt happen again

Survivor
Dec 25, 2008
Well I think you should level up some more before doing arena so this doesnt happen again

I personally feel that there should be a system in place so that all levels are able to duel. Why should only those with high level be given that chance? Why can't there be something to make PvP's more equal? I just looked at the recent 100 top rankings - the supposed practice before the Battle starts in August. The guidelines show that there will be tiered rankings. However, the top 100 rankings basically only show Level 50's. I was appalled. I thought that they would list the top ten rankings of each tier. When I saw that, I thought why should I even try. I have a level 38 and a level 36 wizard but there's no use at trying if only level 50s are winning. I'm sure that other lower levels will feel the same. Why can't there be a more equal system of matching up and making a contest where all tiers get there name posted and not just the level 50's.

Survivor
May 11, 2009
PvP rank is posted somewhere? I didn't know there was a list. Mind posting the link? I'd be interested in seeing that.

Administrator
The very first post on this Player vs Player board called:

"Player vs Player Top 100 Rankings Announced!"

has a link to the top 100 PvP Rankings.

There's also the following image to help with the PvP symbols:

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Survivor
Jun 28, 2008

and not just the level 50's.

so get level 50 , at 50 there is really 3 options
1) start a new alt
2) finish old quests for no exp and for money you dont need
3) duel
I understand your desire for a tiered system , the problem is most non 50s are trying to get 50 not dueling, so would you be willing to wait extra long times for another like minded individual to duel you?
most duelers are 50

Survivor
Oct 04, 2008
I actually agree with MonicaZ22. I have been dueling up until yesterday with my lvl 35 of life, and my rank is very near 400. At some point I started letting people win if I thought I was hopeless (like against lvl 50's). There really should be a better way of doing this. My lvl 11's rank is near 350, because I lost to some novice, and lost 25 points for it! Now I can't duel anyone to get it back up. I think this shouldn't be based mostly on rank. I also have a lvl 1 thaumaturge who I love to duel with, and his rank was a sergeant, and he had 199 arena tickets. I wanted to buy something for 200, then it put me against an initiate thaumaturge lvl 14 I think. Now I ask you, is that fair for winning just a couple duels for a lvl one to be matched up with an initiate, who also happens to have pixie (obviously)? Tell me.

I played with my lvl 34 when I was stuck on the counterweights and the Big Ben, and even when my rank was down to near 400, it still took off around 15 points for losing to a lvl 40!

Again, I really think there should be a better optional way to fight against people in your tier.

Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
I get aggravated because a while ago i had been winning against some people near my level then get stuck against four level 50's with some low levels. How fair is that?