Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

In Game Moderators

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
I don't know if you can see what is happening when people host "party's" in school towers. It usually ends up with people swearing at one another. I also see this when people jump into battles they were not invited into. I think that it is time for the Wizard101 crew to start moderating the kids that play this game. A lot of people swear using words that sound like swear words. This was amazing to me that kids would do such a thing. I would love to be a Moderator. You could give them a special ensignia or sign that would allow people to see you at any given time. Moderators would help promote the game play to all the current players and help those who are stuck at points in the game. They could give out gifts like treasure cards or such. I think it is time to promote within the game as well. :) Just a thought.

Community Leader
I know that swearing can be a problem at times, (and I've reported abuse myself a time or two) but how inventive are those kids?

It takes some creative effort to get around the filter, and it all has to be spelled correctly. I just can't help but find that strangely impressive.

Explorer
Nov 20, 2008
i also had this idea a few months ago but i forgt t post it i think there are already a lot of moderators in game. but for some of us who plays for more then four hours a day we can really help with people that's not following the rules cause it gets a little boring after you finish ds and all your quests

Survivor
Aug 22, 2008
ArcanaJayne wrote:
I know that swearing can be a problem at times, (and I've reported abuse myself a time or two) but how inventive are those kids?

It takes some creative effort to get around the filter, and it all has to be spelled correctly. I just can't help but find that strangely impressive.

It's foul not impressive. There are still a lot of young kids playing this game and they shouldn't be subjected to that kind of language. Heck I shouldn't be subjected to that kind of language.

I would be more than happy to be a GM. Something needs to be done. The pvp is completely out of control. I was horrified the other day. What I saw was completely unacceptable. Even for a game with nothing but adults. It's still unacceptable.

I like the idea of GMs being able to hand out treats to players who do good. In the pvp I talked about racial slurs were being hurled at a player. She handled it with such grace and dignity if I were a GM I would have given her something. Heck if trading between players, not just treasure cards, we permitted I'd have given her soemthing nice.

Maybe you can have some of the adults who play them game be a GM for a free subscription and some crowns. I'd do it for that and that would be pretty cheap for you guys.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2009
Funny, I just posted this as a reply under someone complaining they got reported. To funny

As for being bored after completing DS and all your quests. I understand that fully. I have two accounts I started for my younger children and ended up having to make a char on each. Now I have a Grand Master on both accounts and a third char at level 30. These arent counting my childrens chars. I just end up playing the game more or for longer hours then them. So after doing the same thing over and over again I'm tired of doing it.

I guess I would also though my name in the hat to be a GM. Would be great if we could also have GM ran events with prizes to give out.

Well If anyone runs by me in game and needs help just ask.

Blaze DragonRider - lvl 50 Fire
Fred FrogBlood - lvl 50 Balance
Grace EmeraldBlossom - lvl ?? Life - level changes almost daily

Survivor
Jan 28, 2009
yes i would like to be an in game moderator that sounds terrific i would do it for this is just an exampale but thursday thru sunday 2pm to 6pm

Defender
Aug 01, 2008
VinnieFFxi wrote:
I don't know if you can see what is happening when people host "party's" in school towers. It usually ends up with people swearing at one another. I also see this when people jump into battles they were not invited into. I think that it is time for the Wizard101 crew to start moderating the kids that play this game. A lot of people swear using words that sound like swear words. This was amazing to me that kids would do such a thing. I would love to be a Moderator. You could give them a special ensignia or sign that would allow people to see you at any given time. Moderators would help promote the game play to all the current players and help those who are stuck at points in the game. They could give out gifts like treasure cards or such. I think it is time to promote within the game as well. :) Just a thought.

I've also seen people hosting "Lonely Singles" parties in Ravenwood, which seems inappropriate since players who can chat range in age from 15 to 50.

I'd personally love to see something done about the immature players who just into a battle just to ride someone else's coat tails. I had that problem the other day with a player who demanded I get rid of my minion so they could join the battle, and then proceeded to be as annoying and distracting as possible when they were told no.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
I think experienced wizard (lvl 50 like me) should be able to be a GM if they choose to and maybe could be payed with in-game money? Oh, and maybe there could be a group of people who give a test for being a moderator.

Defender
Feb 18, 2009
I too agree that there should be some in-game Moderators. I understand that KI is doing this already but they are not on the weekends that I'm aware of and to my personal experience, this is when the bad words and yelling at each other are the worst.

For those of you who want to bring this to their attention, all you have to do is simply report the people you see doing it. I've been doing it for months and I will continue to do so.

Whether or not this has been helpful to KI, I do not know. I have reported many but not once got an email or any kind of response in regards to my reporting.

See ya in the Spiral,
Hunter SilverHeart

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
Yes, I agree with having in game moderators. I saw someone last night using bad language but was using normal words, at first I thought he was typing in a different language but then was reading what he said. If he was not typing all in caps I probably would not have noticed anything at all. I for one dont like when I and others are in a battle and someone stands in the middle of the arena because they think it is funny to stand there. I usually ask people nicely to leave the arena if they are not in the battle and then if they dont leave I threaten to report them and they dont think they are doing anything wrong but it is distracting when they do that. Someone even reported me for using bad language and I know better than that just because I asked them nicely to get out of the middle of the arena floor during a battle and they did not and I told them I would report them if they did not leave. So when the battle was done I get a message that I was reported for using bad language when I was not.

Defender
May 28, 2009
First I would like to say that I am not a KI employee and these are my opinions only.
Unfortunately, the idea of an "In Game Moderator" is unrealistic unless the player works for KI directly. Otherwise they would end up with moderators handing out goodies to friends and reprimanding other player in order to earn more crowns. KI has created a very dynamic / versatile game that gives us the awesome freedom to do really great things like get together in groups and quest together or put on plays in our backyard theaters with real audiences and everything. These advances come with a price. I say this, you already ARE an "In Game Moderator" and KI wants and hopes that you will continue to be, that is why they gave you the option to report bad language / behavior. If you see someone doing / saying the wrong thing then report it. Help folks when you see a need and enjoy the game as much as you can.

Survivor
Jan 01, 2009
You do not have to have some "title" like Moderator assigned to you by Kings Isle to report something wrong. If another player is swearing, harassing, or threatening another player REPORT them!

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
Hmm if your like me then i would make it this way so your a moderator,

You report ALL misbehavings going on around you; You do not misbehave a lot (okay were all going to mispell a word occasionaly); You get nothing in return for it (No free treasure cards or items or something like that); You're nice and helpful to ALL players; perhaps a wizards hat next to your name in the chat window to show your a mod?;

sound good to anyone?

Defender
Nov 05, 2008
luffy52 wrote:

You report ALL misbehavings going on around you; You do not misbehave a lot (okay were all going to mispell a word occasionaly); You get nothing in return for it (No free treasure cards or items or something like that); You're nice and helpful to ALL players; perhaps a wizards hat next to your name in the chat window to show your a mod?;

sound good to anyone?

i personaly enjoy the game and go a head and report those who abuse the game and or other players i don't want any recognition for it, not a crown not a hat, not a treasure card, what i would like is for the ones i report and ki looks at the logs and desides to do something is to revive an email such as

on 3-15-12 you reported john doe for cursing,after looking at the log we have muted john doe for a week, we hope after the week he will have learned his lesson. or on 3-15-12 you reported john doe for cursing, this was the third time we have reviewed his chat log and have suspended his account do to his actions.
or whatever the case may be even a on 3-15-12 you reported john doe and after looking at the logs we have decided his behavior is withing our guide lines.
these are all the 'reward' i would like lol

Survivor
Sep 11, 2008
luffy52 wrote:

sound good to anyone?
Yeah but I disagree with the idea that you should be an in game moderator. Why? Well let's see... I obvoiusly agree what lucky whabbit said about reporting someone because being an "in game moderator" has nothing to do with changing anything in the game whether it's reporting or "giving to others." Second of all, mispelling a word ocasionallly has nothing to do with misbehaving either because most of the time anything said can be "typed" on purpose. I've seen this happpen all the time and I have so far, have not seen a single player say something... strange and said, "Oops I've said the wrong thing" and I'm talking about text chat and not menu chat... that's a different story. Likewise, you have to work with Kings Isle in order to become a server moderator or it's just a waste of time and effort to do so anyways if you are not working for that job in particular. Yes, it would be nice to have an in game moderator , but not everything has to be perfect. Unfortunatly, there are some wizards who curse in an arkward way, threat and/or swear in the game by abusing their text chat priviledges and I'm 100% sure the KI staff will aways be doing their best to clear up any cob web and dust bunnies to make this game as safe as possible for kids, teens, and adults. Hey, I'm serious here, this kind of stuff takes time, effort, and of course money to do this, budgetwise or economicalwise(Let's not go their) as well. I rest my case.

Survivor
May 23, 2008
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely - not sure I like the idea of players being moderators, lets enhance the reporting tool first.

Personally I have taken the path of reporting people. Hopefully they will enhance the reporting features to give us some stock options that help them streamline the process. Would be nice to have things like:
Language
Harassment
Spamming
Codes scams - my person pet peeve
Other (enter text)

Now if they are going to go as far as having real GM's, that would be useful but likely they would be working the reports and not 'playing'

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
Insecto wrote:
luffy52 wrote:

sound good to anyone?
Yeah but I disagree with the idea that you should be an in game moderator. Why? Well let's see... I obvoiusly agree what lucky whabbit said about reporting someone because being an "in game moderator" has nothing to do with changing anything in the game whether it's reporting or "giving to others." Second of all, mispelling a word ocasionallly has nothing to do with misbehaving either because most of the time anything said can be "typed" on purpose. I've seen this happpen all the time and I have so far, have not seen a single player say something... strange and said, "Oops I've said the wrong thing" and I'm talking about text chat and not menu chat... that's a different story. Likewise, you have to work with Kings Isle in order to become a server moderator or it's just a waste of time and effort to do so anyways if you are not working for that job in particular. Yes, it would be nice to have an in game moderator , but not everything has to be perfect. Unfortunatly, there are some wizards who curse in an arkward way, threat and/or swear in the game by abusing their text chat priviledges and I'm 100% sure the KI staff will aways be doing their best to clear up any cob web and dust bunnies to make this game as safe as possible for kids, teens, and adults. Hey, I'm serious here, this kind of stuff takes time, effort, and of course money to do this, budgetwise or economicalwise(Let's not go their) as well. I rest my case.

well the part of you saying a misspelling doesnt matter is well... wrong i mean if i accidentally type "un" instead of in the guess what? it comes out as "..." just as anythnig else would which means it could be well... any kind of word what so ever... Other than that i was saying if there were in game mods i would much rather them have something like i said above because well... what would you ratehr have? random people that asked? or people that were chosen like i said? other than that you started off saying stuff about my post and then just wandered off that path, bad gramemr tsk tsk :P

Defender
May 06, 2009
Is an in-game moderator necessary? From what I understand, you report someone, there are chat logs of everything said (yes, everything) and they can look back and see if the reported behavior actually happened.

So if you see someone doing something report-worthy -- report them.

Survivor
Sep 11, 2008
luffy52 wrote:
Insecto wrote:
luffy52 wrote:

sound good to anyone?

well the part of you saying a misspelling doesnt matter is well... wrong i mean if i accidentally type "un" instead of in the guess what? it comes out as "..." just as anythnig else would which means it could be well... any kind of word what so ever... Other than that i was saying if there were in game mods i would much rather them have something like i said above because well... what would you ratehr have? random people that asked? or people that were chosen like i said? other than that you started off saying stuff about my post and then just wandered off that path, bad gramemr tsk tsk :P
That's true... but my point in that message I typed is why have an in game moderator, when you have KI staff trying to get rid of any form of glitch or some kind of error that was reported by a wizard that noticed it or was discovered right away. So is it really necessary to have a team of in game moderating wizards in a world of over 2 million wizards? Honestly, I still can't see a reason why we need in game moderators anyway.

Defender
May 15, 2009
LuckieWabbit wrote:
You do not have to have some "title" like Moderator assigned to you by Kings Isle to report something wrong. If another player is swearing, harassing, or threatening another player REPORT them!

Yup! That's the way it is and that is the way it should be. I don't understand why there needs to be a 'reward' (free stuff) for fulfilling your civic obligation of correcting/reporting inappropriate behaviour.

As far as persons just being annoying, that is what the ignore function is for. Switching realms is handy too. 8)

For a personal response to every report: that's just not feasible; it is too man-hour intensive and, frankly, someone else's account status isn't your business (I believe there are legal issues with that).

As far as school tower parties go: ever see the movie Demolition Man? It's 21st century spin-the-bottle!

Survivor
Dec 11, 2008
i agree if i battle in the arena and defeat someone they come up with some way to swear. and when i walk through wizard city there are random people spamming chat messages aobut boy freidns or giirl friends iand i think this takes away from the overall funness of the game (um is funness even a word?)
i really just have a problem with those two things

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2009
VinnieFFxi wrote:

runescape has something similair but its a disaster. they think that they're special so they show off. i don't want a bunch of nerds to become modertors, kings isle should hire some people to do it themselves. that way we can fully trust them, and we can be guaranteed that we WILL recieve REAL HELP. since they have an insignia, some people would just go through the effort so they can scam people. the insignia makes it look legit, so people fall for it. he gets banned, then rinse and repeat the next month or so.

Survivor
Jul 29, 2009
I agree that in-game moderators would be great since I too have asked a few players to please be nice to others. The only problems I see with the original post and a few others here are:

1) It's great to offer assistance, but I do not feel that anyone should be able to give out in-game "treats". Cards and such should be earned, if they are not, then there is no reason to play the game.

2) Offering to assist in keeping the Wiz101 community a safe/nice place for all is great, but if you want to "help", then why ask for something free such as crowns or a free subscription?

In my opinion, if you are simply handling abuse being given out by either reporting players, or asking players to please be nice, you are already an unofficial GM...and keep up the great work! There is no need to be given anything special such as crowns, subscriptions, or any additional features, to help keep Wiz101 civilized.

...but I do think a few people running around with some kind of title/badge showing that they are "helpers" or "moderators" would be a great addition (minus all of the frills other posters have asked for)

Michelle Shadowcaller

Explorer
May 31, 2008
Ok i agree with Zigmon, it would just get out of hand, and there are around 2 Million players in Wizard101, But there are also 2 Million moderators. Every player is a moderator, we have the ability to report something wrong and then the person in the right authority(i.e.Mr Lincoln) can do something about it, So technically, this is already implemented in the game.

And give someone a free subscription and crowns just to do a job that Ki can do themselves? thats just not practical, unless you get a 1 hour subscription with 1 crown, which is pretty pointless. Moderators have to be on 7 days a week, just because the majority of the technical staff at Ki are off doesn't mean the moderators are. the have wizards, i.e. calamity boompants and they will just stand in a corner of a crowded place and listen.

And there can't be a moderator everywhere, which is why we were given the ability to report a player. If we were given the ability to hand out sanctions to each other and reward people, this would get out of hand, Imagine, you beat a 'Moderator' at a PvP match, they would report you, and if the mod won, there friend could give them a reward for 'Good Play'? it doesn't make sense yet thats what would happen and once the feature is implemented in the game, the players will turn on themselves, friendship wouldn't matter anymore, it would be about earning crowns.

-Swift

This feature isn't practical. Ki are doing what they can and its our job to do the rest. we should also be responsible enough to handle open and filtered chat responsibliy, if you cuss, one report can have you permanately muted and there will not be anything you can do about that if you said what you said.

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
I have been a moderator on several different games including betas. But that was just for the forum. Trying to have in-game moderators, while it sounds nice, is simply not practical.

There are too many players, playing in too many areas in too many servers. In my other games that I was a moderator for, I still played a lot and was in-game frequently. Usually I would assist new players and answer questions for them, but never tried to 'police' on-line players.

KI has a reporting feature for us all to use, so there is no need for them to appoint anyone. You just need to read the Terms of Agreement to know what is reportable and what is not.

Now if they wanted to designate trusted forum members to be 'Helpers' and assist new players with questions, I think that would be a good idea.