Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

School pins make quests less attractive

AuthorMessage
Champion
Jan 23, 2009
I am about to do the Queen spider quest. I know her best gift is a pendant and its high level spell card. But I just read somewhere that all those types of pendants are being made school only,

Now my complaint because you KNEW it was coming.

Why in the world would i want a pendant that only one school can wear and it has the SCHOOL spell. By that time i have reached the end of my journey with my spells and i have learned and mastered ALL the spells in my school and with the right deck can use them over and over again should i wish.

So tell me why do i need a pendant to add the same card i already have?

Its not like they are better versions as KI has removed all the addtional damage from those cards and they are the same as the spells (except you can not add tough to them to boost them) So tell who thought this was a good idea at all.

I get it you want to make things balanced so that the game becomes a challenge and aside from the time when i bought zeke clothes that were lowered without telling me or giving me my money back i haven't complained yet. I am not really complaining now i am just saying its not a smart idea to make pendants school only.

There are even pendants that people have purchased that can not be traded anymore i imagine that your sells have gone down when people who formerly were able to trade with their other wiz are now unable to do so and again no notice.

But this is your company and you will learn your lessons from the numbers rather then the posts warning you. I am confident that if you really want to make a go of this you will learn to take note of some of these posts because seriously the ideas that are being executed now are like you are working in a vacuum of your peers who don't even play the game.

Ask yourself if i own a bakery why would i go clear across town to buy a cake that is exactly the same as the ones i make myself already? I wouldn't nor am i likely to do a quest ESPECIALLY a side quest that will only give me a pendant that i can not wear or has a spell i already have.

It makes no sense!

Survivor
Jul 15, 2008
Sojourna wrote:

Its not like they are better versions as KI has removed all the addtional damage from those cards and they are the same as the spells (except you can not add tough to them to boost them) So tell who thought this was a good idea at all.

The Yeva Spiderkeeper pendant gives a colossus card that does significantly more damage than the regular ice school card. Where as the ice school colossus has a base damage of 460, the yeva pendant has a base damage of 600. Add to that blades and traps, Ice wizards can now do damage well beyond 1000base damage. That is quite an incentive for us to farm that boss.

As an addition, M'am Greyrose, I'd like to inform you that the spiderkeeper's icemantle has a coloring problem. When I equip it, it shows up pink with no textures. I can't even change it's dye at the dye shop.

Survivor
Nov 23, 2008
Sojourna wrote:

Ask yourself if i own a bakery why would i go clear across town to buy a cake that is exactly the same as the ones i make myself already? I wouldn't nor am i likely to do a quest ESPECIALLY a side quest that will only give me a pendant that i can not wear or has a spell i already have.

It makes no sense!

The problem with this analogy is that they aren't exactly the same.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
Then i stand corrected. There are some who will still find that worth farming. I can't be counted among them but suppose it would be unfair of me to say that and imply that everyone thinks as I do.

I just think its a wasted of time to farm for a spell i already have.

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
I have a necklace for my Ice Wizard that gives me the Ice Viper power, Yes I already have this spell but that can mean I can have at least one copy in my deck plus the necklace card and that saves room in my deck for another card to have another copy of. If that makes sense to you. The card I have on the necklace does more damage than my regular card and when put together with the Ice Trap it does really good damage. My Ice Wizard is only level 18 right now so I dont have Ice Blade yet and was curious if anyone can tell what level I will get this and the Life Blade at?

Explorer
Nov 26, 2008
lupan wrote:
Sojourna wrote:

The Yeva Spiderkeeper pendant gives a colossus card that does significantly more damage than the regular ice school card. Where as the ice school colossus has a base damage of 460, the yeva pendant has a base damage of 600. Add to that blades and traps, Ice wizards can now do damage well beyond 1000base damage. That is quite an incentive for us to farm that boss.

Wrong, Regular colossus hits 560 , and plus i already get the 600 damage colossus from my colossus pet and my malistair ice robe i dont need another. What i need is a amulate that gives me a good healing spells so i can get rid of these marlybone shoes that i keep on just for the healing spell.

Mastermind
Oct 17, 2008
moviebuff3000 wrote:
I have a necklace for my Ice Wizard that gives me the Ice Viper power, Yes I already have this spell but that can mean I can have at least one copy in my deck plus the necklace card and that saves room in my deck for another card to have another copy of. If that makes sense to you. The card I have on the necklace does more damage than my regular card and when put together with the Ice Trap it does really good damage. My Ice Wizard is only level 18 right now so I dont have Ice Blade yet and was curious if anyone can tell what level I will get this and the Life Blade at?

Life Blade is for completing a quest in Krokotopia. It is one of the main storyline quests, so I'm sure if you keep moving forward, you will eventually get it. Ice Blade is a spell quest at level 38.

And you said exactly what I was going to. My necklace gives me two Ice Traps, and since I'm an ice wizard that kind of seems pointless. I have had it since being in Krokotopia. I wore it at first only because I had nothing else, but I soon learned to use it to my advantage.

Try this with pretty much any school: put two traps on one monster. The spell will only take one. Two death traps=one per spell. Two Life traps=one per spell. It is always the same.

But my amulet's Ice Trap counts as a different one. So, I combine that with my regular Ice Trap, and so it takes 30% from my normal one and then ANOTHER 35% with the other. I like using this with an Ice Blade, Elemental Blade, Feint, and Balefrost. The damage is awe-inspiring, especially for ice that hits the least.

And like you said, it makes more room in our deck. That seems pretty helpful to me.

Survivor
Jul 15, 2008
bettermixmaster wrote:
Wrong, Regular colossus hits 560 , and plus i already get the 600 damage colossus from my colossus pet and my malistair ice robe i dont need another. What i need is a amulate that gives me a good healing spells so i can get rid of these marlybone shoes that i keep on just for the healing spell.

Please read your card more carefully. You might have been looking at a colossus treasure card. The "regular" colossus card does BASE damage of 460 and not 560. I mean it's maximum damage is not even that high, which is 540.

And good for you that you have the pet and malistaire robe with the blue colossus card. As do all of us grandmaster ice wizards who have the same said items. But I'm not changing my opinion that the pendant is still a good handy item to have around especially when confronted with battles with three opponent monsters, like a boss with two minions. With 3000++ hit points, I'd much rather have a better chance to take out the minions with one hit like a storm wizard than to make the battle last longer with a single healing spell. But that's just my opinion.

You have a nice point in wanting an "amulet" with a good healing card. Me, I'd rather have my healing cards in my sideboard so I can pull one out quickly when I really need one.

But then again, that's just my opinion. Good day to all of you.
Windlilly wrote:
And you said exactly what I was going to. My necklace gives me two Ice Traps, and since I'm an ice wizard that kind of seems pointless. I have had it since being in Krokotopia. I wore it at first only because I had nothing else, but I soon learned to use it to my advantage.

Try this with pretty much any school: put two traps on one monster. The spell will only take one. Two death traps=one per spell. Two Life traps=one per spell. It is always the same.

But my amulet's Ice Trap counts as a different one. So, I combine that with my regular Ice Trap, and so it takes 30% from my normal one and then ANOTHER 35% with the other. I like using this with an Ice Blade, Elemental Blade, Feint, and Balefrost. The damage is awe-inspiring, especially for ice that hits the least.

And like you said, it makes more room in our deck. That seems pretty helpful to me.

Mind if I ask you where in krokotopia you got your two ice card necklace?

Champion
Jan 23, 2009

What do you mean they aren't the same? I amd asking why would I go throught the trouble to buy something I already have?

Cake is Cake and so is a spell. And one might say the cake is better across town but a baker would not.

And while i can boost my own cards and hence do not need a pendant that has one more spell I already have. The point is variety is the reason why I would find doing the challenge at all. Its the same reason why most people do not use swords from their OWN school.

Survivor
May 18, 2009
I hate it when i get pendants that i cant use. Especially if i had to do a really hard quest. Half the stuff the get now i cant use and goes to the bazaar for gold. Most things shouldnt be school only. :D :D :D

Hero
May 19, 2009
Sojourna wrote:

What do you mean they aren't the same? I amd asking why would I go throught the trouble to buy something I already have?

Cake is Cake and so is a spell. And one might say the cake is better across town but a baker would not.

And while i can boost my own cards and hence do not need a pendant that has one more spell I already have. The point is variety is the reason why I would find doing the challenge at all. Its the same reason why most people do not use swords from their OWN school.

first of all they are not the same, the collosus that comes with the pendent is more powerful then the spell version of the one you have.

it also seems pretty dumb that the only reason you refuse to fight her is because you think that the pendent is the best item she drops. Almost every grand has farmed her at one time or another bc she drops the level 50 myth hat, death hat, ice hat, fire boots, and storm boots.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
i am glad you keep track of those things but no.

None of the things you mentioned including the pendant is WORTH "farming" her for.

I farm only for the BEST items not just for the sake of farming.

and your answer, btw is not only MONTHS later, it has nothing to do with the point i was making.

Defender
May 29, 2009

I'm not sure I see the problem. If it's a main quest boss, just kill the boss, be done with it, and move on. If it's a side quest or just an issue of farming and the reward isn't worth it to you, don't do it.

Getting an amulet with a unique spell is just one reason people may want to do a quest/farm. Other people may just want to do all quests because they get a satisfaction in completing everything that shows up in their quest book. There are a myriad of reasons why people quest/farm. I don't think KI needs to cater every single quest/ boss to meet every single need.

Sojourna wrote:
i am glad you keep track of those things but no.

None of the things you mentioned including the pendant is WORTH "farming" her for.

I farm only for the BEST items not just for the sake of farming.

and your answer, btw is not only MONTHS later, it has nothing to do with the point i was making.