Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Kraken...Just A Little Rant

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
I'm getting on my soap box to address a problem I feel has got out of hand.

I started a new wizard recently and got to the quest where you have to fight the Kraken and charge the lumina crystal (can't remember the name of it).

When I used the teleporter I found the area full of high level wizards so waited for the fight to finish and take my turn, only to find once the fight finished, the same wizards stayed in their spots and I couldn't fight the kraken.

So I went to another realm only to find the same situation, and another realm, and another.

At one point the wizards were even rude to me, telling me to leave, this was their spot (by then I had just stepped up to a circle hoping to bump in line since I had wasted 30 minutes jumping realms trying to find an empty slot).

Honestly, it was very irritating to have all four wizards cat call me through the fight. The one wizard I replaced out of the four spent the entire duel jumping around in front of my wizard and making comments. The other wizards did not help me fight the kraken. They spent the entire duel healing themselves and putting shields up on themselves, leaving me to fight on my own, and making derogatory statements the whole while.

I'm guessing these were not adults I was playing with (though it was about 1 AM) but rather teenagers. At least I got that impression based upon the immaturity shown.

What I am wondering is if something can be done about this? If I have this sort of problem at 1 AM, what kind of problem are others having at peak hours? Can this area be made an instance? Or an alternative found?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
I had a similar problem last week with a group of wizards. After I was unable to get into the battle two times and seeing that there were the same four battling each time I politely asked that they step aside so that wizards who needed to complete the quest could do so. I was told that I needed to "chill". Switching realms didn't fix the issue either. In my case, I think it was a bunch of free players who are looking for something to do and they don't really care about those who actually need to complete the quest.

Defender
Dec 11, 2008
Sounds like just bad timing. I went through there a couple days ago around midnight and was the only person there. It is annoying to deal with people like that though. It's why I won't go back to ranked PVP.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I have found the same thing. I think they are shopping for household goods or monies for such. I think a quick fix would be to make them use the teleporter before they can rejoin (like Tomogawa the Evil <sp?>).

1 am east coast is still only 10 pm west coast, and a Fri or Sat night is still very active. 1 am west is very dead, espically just after a downtime (like 1am sun)...

Explorer
Dec 16, 2008
ninnian wrote:
I'm getting on my soap box to address a problem I feel has got out of hand.

I started a new wizard recently and got to the quest where you have to fight the Kraken and charge the lumina crystal (can't remember the name of it).

When I used the teleporter I found the area full of high level wizards so waited for the fight to finish and take my turn, only to find once the fight finished, the same wizards stayed in their spots and I couldn't fight the kraken.

So I went to another realm only to find the same situation, and another realm, and another.

At one point the wizards were even rude to me, telling me to leave, this was their spot (by then I had just stepped up to a circle hoping to bump in line since I had wasted 30 minutes jumping realms trying to find an empty slot).

Honestly, it was very irritating to have all four wizards cat call me through the fight. The one wizard I replaced out of the four spent the entire duel jumping around in front of my wizard and making comments. The other wizards did not help me fight the kraken. They spent the entire duel healing themselves and putting shields up on themselves, leaving me to fight on my own, and making derogatory statements the whole while.

I'm guessing these were not adults I was playing with (though it was about 1 AM) but rather teenagers. At least I got that impression based upon the immaturity shown.

What I am wondering is if something can be done about this? If I have this sort of problem at 1 AM, what kind of problem are others having at peak hours? Can this area be made an instance? Or an alternative found?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

If you were being called things that shouldn't be
said next time don't let them say that to you
just wait until after the battle and click on the
the player and report them.

Wolf Dragonflame
Level 30 Magus pyromancer
heck-hound
Katz Lab MB

Survivor
May 03, 2009
Ranked PVP wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to fight people several levels higher on a constant basis.

Do the programmers here listen to complaints, or is keeping a subscription to this site a bad idea? I ask seriously.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2008
theendofallthings wrote:
Ranked PVP wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to fight people several levels higher on a constant basis.

Do the programmers here listen to complaints, or is keeping a subscription to this site a bad idea? I ask seriously.

The developers here do listen to these comments and they do also read these boards. Quite a few of the new enhancements we enjoy today are because of people like yourself posting here or on some of the other fan boards. I see the director of this game on here quite frequently answering questions.
As for this thread I do agree that the Kraken should be changed into an instance. Far to many times I have have had to change realms repeatedly only to find all realms were full of non paying players wanting to up levels.
After the battle they just run to the center near were the kraken spawns and wait for the next wizard to run through the circle so he will respawn.
As someone else pointed out you could make it to were they have to leave the area to be able to rejoin.
Thanks Finnigan Silverstalker
Beta tester and grandmaster thamaturge twice over.

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
I also hate those people that stand in the middle of the arena when your in the midst of fighting the Kraken. I saw one person running around in circles in the middle while me and others were fighting the Kraken and it was annoying. I asked them nicely to stop it because it was annoying and another person said that is my friend and he thought it was funny watching his friend do that.

Explorer
Nov 26, 2008
Free players swarm to the kracken boss just because he is the strongest boss they get. Its normal to see large crowds of free players there.

Explorer
Mar 11, 2009
moviebuff3000 wrote:
I also hate those people that stand in the middle of the arena when your in the midst of fighting the Kraken. I saw one person running around in circles in the middle while me and others were fighting the Kraken and it was annoying. I asked them nicely to stop it because it was annoying and another person said that is my friend and he thought it was funny watching his friend do that.

Oh my gosh, I hate when people do this. I find it very distracting. I ask people not to do it but they either ignore me or say nasty things to me.

Survivor
Jun 22, 2008
Here is a tip, Go to the realm showing that there is a perfect or less population. Then, go to area 2(If there is one) because I did the same thing and there was only 1 person.

Survivor
May 19, 2009
There is a better boss to farm than the Kraken. In a tower on the path to the haunted cave. Its an instance so you can solo her. My experience was she gives more exp and treasure. Maybe someone should spread the word. I'll bet a lot of players dont realize you can fight bosses in towers multiple times.

Survivor
May 03, 2009
It really doesn't matter how many people are at the kracken, you can still get your fight and here's how...

The kracken repops inches from where he stands to fight. During the current battle place yourself right in front (not in same place as ) of the kracken. Stay there. Even if other people are near their impatience will cause them to move around.

Wait for the repop about 3 to 5 minutes. Once the kracken moves to his place you will be swepted up into battle. Even if 25 people are there.

NOTE: You most likely will be placed in the first circle and be the krackens target.

NOTE: Standing in a battle circle spot will not be garaunteed to get you into this fight-you need to be at the repop zone. The program seems to choose who fights by the distance they are from the mob. The closer the better.

Survivor
May 28, 2009
Thank you for the suggestion -- I have tried to help my daughter with the Kraken fight on a couple of her toons and find it is *always* camped by people farming for gold, often rude people who try to stop you from completing the quest.

I think the best suggestion would be to reduce the drops and increase the quest rewards for non-instanced named mobs.

Defender
Dec 11, 2008
I had a small problem with the Kraken a couple weeks back. Only 2 people were fighting him, but no one else could join in because the 2 empty slots were filled with the "swirl" that holds a place for other people in someones group.

I waited to the end of the battle, but the same 2 people again got swept into the fight. I changed realms only to find 3 people and a swirl in battle. I stepped on the portal and back down and for whatever reason, the swirl was gone, so I entered the battle in time to be able to cast one spell and get the credit for the fight.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
I find that it is a serious problem.

The majority of the times I go by I can look down and see the area swarmed with characters, with a chosen few being able to keep their battle positions over and over.

And I have seen this in PERFECT realms.

Personally, I feel a limit should be placed on how often you can fight the Kraken to 3 a day / per account (notice I said account and not toon). After the 3rd time, you are teleported out just as if you steped on the portal and not allowed back in at all.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:

The majority of the times I go by I can look down and see the area swarmed with characters, with a chosen few being able to keep their battle positions over and over.

Personally, I feel a limit should be placed on how often you can fight the Kraken to 3 a day / per account (notice I said account and not toon). After the 3rd time, you are teleported out just as if you steped on the portal and not allowed back in at all.

that's most horrible idea i've ever read... that would create riots... not kidding. free players woud be so mad, kings isle would lose like 1/4 of their free players because they can't make decent money.

i think the kraken situation is a problem, so i say make it an instance

Survivor
May 22, 2009
Yesterday I'd created a new character with my friend and we were playing together (we were at our favorite coffee shop back to back), and when the time came for us to battle the kraken we were greeted by no less than 15 other players on the platform repeat-killing him over and over again. After 20 minutes of jockeying for a position with only failure my friend asked, politely "Can I have a spot in the next battle? I need to kill him for a quest." The replies were rather rude, ranging from "LOL" to "Get a subscription." to "... Off new kid." even. We tried several "perfect" realms with the same result, anywhere from 5 to 20 people camping the kraken for loot and coin. We parted ways and went home, she managed to finish the quest at 1am eastern time, I hopped on only to find the same situation I had before, though finally got the quest completed on a 'perfect' server at 4 in the morning before I left for work.

There is a simple solution to this abrasive problem - put a limiter on the Kraken killing. Simply, if you don't have the quest to kill the kraken you can not use the teleporter. I realize that this conflicts slightly with the "Did You know" tooltip about repeat-ransacking of bosses, but a quick demotion from "Boss" to "Elite" should take care of that.

I realize that this somewhat stymies the people who don't have subscriptions, but it's further incentive to purchase one, and to be honest most of the crowd were greifers, higher level players from kroakatopia and marleybone that wouldn't let the lower level people complete the quest. The "... off new kid" comment even came from a "Savior of the Spiral". It's something that's gotten completely out of hand and absolutely needs to be addressed.

Savannah Rainwhisper
Adept Theurgist

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
Maybe a timer so that for the first 30 sec only subs can join, then, if there is any room, a free-loader can play???

Survivor
Mar 17, 2009
Here's a suggestion. Designate a few realms to free players only. I have played a few "free" of these types of game and some regular games sites like pogo.com. Free players only have a limited number of realms/areas they can play while subscribers have full access with realms/areas of their own and can avoid the congestion such as with the Kraken. Some of these sites even have a few designated realms for adults only which is refreshing to be able to play and not constantly being asked to be someone's girl/boy and not harrassed by the teens who think up trouble as joining a battle and dragging 4 baddies in only to flee and leave you on your own.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2009
MikeStrath wrote:
Maybe a timer so that for the first 30 sec only subs can join, then, if there is any room, a free-loader can play???

free loader? what's that supposed to mean? if you don't like free players then why read this thread?

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Otys wrote:
Preacher7719 wrote:

that's most horrible idea i've ever read... that would create riots... not kidding. free players woud be so mad, kings isle would lose like 1/4 of their free players because they can't make decent money.

i think the kraken situation is a problem, so i say make it an instance

I have absolutely no problem if kings isle lost 1/4 of their free players ... as far as I'm concerned, the free players who do this have no intention of subscribing to the game, so they are taking up costly resources that are being paid for by the subscribers.

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
Here's a simple solution to Kraken-hogging.

As soon as the fight is done, all the fighters get teleported back up to the mill, and the NPC says something like "Good job defeating that nasty beastie!". That way, any players waiting patiently for a turn at the kraken have a chance to step up before the Kraken-hogs can get back down to the area. That would also eliminate offline/inactive players who just stand there and do nothing fight after fight and keep others from joining in. It's only fair to take turns. This would not limit how many times you could fight, and there would be no need for trash-talk or long delays between Kraken appearances.

BTW- I think there should be more permanent arenas like that. Maybe one on each world? Maybe utilize the existing one outside the Troll's castle on Colossus Blvd? It would thin out the crowd at the Kraken arena.

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009

i think the olde town streets should be free, but if you got lvl fifteen ambrose doesnt give you krokotopia because they are a non member.and if ki doesnt do this they should make kraken an instance

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
LeaWildcat wrote:
Here's a suggestion. Designate a few realms to free players only. I have played a few "free" of these types of game and some regular games sites like pogo.com. Free players only have a limited number of realms/areas they can play while subscribers have full access with realms/areas of their own and can avoid the congestion such as with the Kraken. Some of these sites even have a few designated realms for adults only which is refreshing to be able to play and not constantly being asked to be someone's girl/boy and not harrassed by the teens who think up trouble as joining a battle and dragging 4 baddies in only to flee and leave you on your own.

This is by far the best idea/solution of the bunch. I too have played other games where there were designated free player realms and free players were not allowed access to the paying realms. (BTW crown players would be included in the subscription pay realms)

Now, I don't know what the ratio is for free players vs pay players is but if there are more free players in the game then there might be a considerable drop in the number of realms paying players would have access too. I say this because I don't think K I would add realms...yet. I switch realms late at night to farm for diamonds in DS and a considerable drop in realms available to me would really slow an already very difficult task.

The other benefit to free realms would be, I think, a major drop in rudeness from immature players. I'm willing to bet that most immature players are playing for free.

Hunter Earthsong
level 46 Master Theurgist