Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Stuff I wish I new at lvl-1

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
Hey hey,

What are some of the things you have learned over your career as a wizard that you wish you knew when you started playing...

I will update this post when I get my list all the way together.. Please post comments and suggestions.. This will be the one stop shop for a young wizard with questions.. all in one nice place...

Stephanie Legendweaver

Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
wish i thought it out more and started to buy the ice cards with my school points. being fire and fighting fire boss's is not that easy when they have 4,500 life points. instead I got all the death cards and now working on life cards. O well.

FireWizard, level 50!

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I'd say to keep some of the good gear you find. They sell for almost nothing, but you can store them for your next character created. Once you open Unicorn you can get to your dorm room and all the 0-lvl items.

Create a new character if you are having trouble storing all your good items and use him/her as a pack mule.

Have too much money on a higher level character (hitting the limit)? Pass the items via the shared bank to a lower level so they can sell.

Always read the news so you don't miss anything fun.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2008
I wish I had been aware that different kind of "blade" spells (damage boosts) stacked, so you could keep piling them on to create a mega-damage spell. With some of the death-school drain-type spells .... well, you know how good that is. :D

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
dukelexon wrote:
I wish I had been aware that different kind of "blade" spells (damage boosts) stacked, so you could keep piling them on to create a mega-damage spell. With some of the death-school drain-type spells .... well, you know how good that is. :D

I hear you, fellow damage-dealer...!

My fave-Combo is Vampire + DeathBlade + Curse + Death Trap.
With only a mere +1% Gear Damage Bonus, the amount you hurt them for is surprising if you're not use to numbers that high....

Also, I wouldn't spend so much time putting the Potion Vendor's kid through College. If I had just ten percent of what I've spent on Potions before level 20, I would easily be able to afford a House in DragonSpyre! Much wiser idea is to play mini-games or gather Pips to recharge...

Scarlet SkullHammer (Death 40, Black Cat Pet, "Shadow")

Survivor
Apr 30, 2009

Also, I wouldn't spend so much time putting the Potion Vendor's kid through College. If I had just ten percent of what I've spent on Potions before level 20, I would easily be able to afford a House in DragonSpyre! Much wiser idea is to play mini-games or gather Pips to recharge...

Scarlet SkullHammer (Death 40, Black Cat Pet, "Shadow")

I agree. I spent lots of gold refilling my potion bottles at the potion vendor (before lvl 20), when all I had to do was step over to the mini-games and play the "potion motion" game 1 time per bottle! DOH!

If I hadn't begun reading the forums/message boards on this, and other fan sites, I'd probably still be supporting the vendor's kids' college fund! LOL

Destiny Goldensong
Lvl 31 Storm/Life, Pet Dragon "Precious"

Defender
Feb 16, 2009
That ice is good on fire and vise versa

that life is good on death

Kyle Firefist

level 22

Adept Pyromancer(fire)

Explorer
Apr 22, 2009
Wish I had known what the heck a "Shared Bank" was! I might have saved more stuff for my next wiz. At this point I have a few things for my storm wiz, but they are all Level 45+ stuff, good help at level 4! :D

I'll probably think of more later, seeing as I just started a new wiz last night :)

Sarai Dragonstone
Lvl 50 Ice/Storm

Survivor
Aug 09, 2008
I agree that for the most part, playing minigames for potion refills is far more economical, but there are times (say, I just died in a dungeon and I just want to get back into the thick of things quickly) in which speed is more important to me .... even if it only saves five minutes.

So, yeah .... I've given that greedy Potion Vendor my gold a few times, even when I knew better.

Explorer
Mar 28, 2009
I wish I had known about the wands that give zero rank spells. My first wizard would always be running out of mana, but now as soon as they can carry them, I get them a wand from each school to use against the appropriate enemy. A lot of little hits can go a long way!

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
Young Wizards need to know that you don't have to put all your Training points into only one Secondary School.

Young Wizards need to know how Power Pips work and due to this fact, they will predominantly be using their MAIN school for attacks past level 30.

Young Wizards need to know that if you aren't an Ice Wizard, your first 5 training points should go into Ice to get Tower Shield.

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
I wish I knew at level 1 that housing would come out, and that some quests would give furniture rewards when housing got introduced. :(

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer