Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

what is threat?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
When I first found out there were cards that either reduced or indreased threat, I didn't get them because I had no idea what they were. I have this friend who's been helping me out and he uses those threat cards. I can tell via the birds. Can anyone tell me what they do? thanks in advance.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
There seems to be a system in place that assigns who a foe attacks. In a group, use calm to reduce the attacks on you, and shift them to your partners. Use a threat to increase the % that they will attack you, and not your friends.

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
What it seems to do is increase the threat that the monster the threat card is cast upon on the wizard casting it. So it doesn't work well in single player battles. But multi-player, where one is getting hammered on repeatedly, the threat cards could come in handly to move the agro from one wizard to another.

Defender
Jan 20, 2009
Threat is the major component in how monsters decide who to attack in a duel. It's a numeric value that you can't see (much like a random damage roll or spell fizzle chance), and it's made up of a few factors.

1. Default threat is to attack the first player in the duel (the "Sun" position).

2. Each point of damage adds to the treat number for that monster. For example, if Player 1 does 500 damage and Player 2 does 1000 damage to an opponent, that opponent will most likely attack Player 2.

3. Each point of healing that you do to any member of your teams adds a small amount of threat to all opponents.

4. Various threat modifying spells modify this number directly for the person casting the spell. You can't see this number, so it's hard to say exactly how much threat each one adds.

In my opinion, threat management is not something that you need to worry about in a 4 person group. If duels were expanded in the future to allow 6v6 or 8v8 or more, then threat management might become a necessary concern, but I don't forsee this happening.