Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fire the cow teacher. We want attack spells!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 28, 2009
When they announced that there would be a new spell for every school, I was excited. As a level 47 Life wizard, I couldn't wait for a chance to attack with something (ANYTHING) other than Centaur. I saw the cool new 7 pip attack spells that they gave to my friends in other schools. I was dying to see what Life would get.

Overflowing with my new love of LIFE, I leveled up and finished my spell quest. Can you imagine my shock when the cow lady handed over ANOTHER healing spell?! Noooooo! Say it isn't so!

You see, out of all the spells a Life wiz can learn, we have exactly one useful attack spell at the Dragonspyre level - Centaur, our 6 pip attack. (4 pip attacks in other schools may be useful on Dragonspyre, but since Life school has such weak attacks, our 4 pip Seraph spell is next to useless. The cow doesn't teach any 5 or 7 pip attack spells. That leaves Centaur.)

Even us helpful healers like to attack once in a while. Please fire the cow and hire a samoorai who can teach us something interesting. I understand why our attacks are weak and I'm OK with that. Since we can heal, we rarely die in battle. We mostly just die of boredom.

Explorer
Mar 14, 2009
aww leave Moolinda alone :P I agree though that life needs a new attack spell. I think you had a cool idea there, how about a new NPC in Dragonspyre that gives a life quest for a new attack spell. He could be a cool looking undead hunter samoorai.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
How awful that a class whose main point is to heal should actually have a lot of healing spells. And really, life wizards don't have it pretty good as far as damage goes compared to healers in most other games. Centaur is arguably a stronger single-target attack than anything ice, myth, death, or balance get.

Survivor
Feb 28, 2009
I was just being funny. (Or maybe failing to be funny.) I am OK with Moolinda (although I do think a life wizard should look healthy, not diabetic, if you know what I mean.) I just think Life needs a new attack - one with cool special effects and stuff.

For example, I think Life is the only school that doesn't have an attack spell that causes damage to all enemies. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

We also don't have a spell that does multiple attacks to remove multiple shields. Fire has fire elf and heck hound. Myth has minotaur (two attacks). There are no balance-specific shields, but they have that three headed dragon thing that does fire, ice, and storm damage all in one attack. Death has that bubbly spell that (I believe) attacks over multiple rounds like Fire Elf. Earthquake - the mother of all shield removers - what school is that again? Not Life.

I suppose they figured that life attacks are so weak that Death is the only school that bothers to shield against us. Somehow that doesn't make me feel better.

Here's the thing. When they gave us ANOTHER healing spell, it's like they didn't care enough about the Life school to bother being creative. As usual, Life didn't get much in the way of cool special effects either. It's just a big tree. Whoopee. Does being large make it a cool special effect? NOT.

We are helpful healers. We're the good guys. WHY DON'T YOU LOVE US AS MUCH AS THE OTHER KIDS? <sniff>

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
The only time area attacks particularly matter is when there are other players with you to attract more mobs. When you're grouped like that, you're supposed to heal the other players, in addition to yourself, so there's less need for you to attack. Healing is the main point of a life wizard, after all.

Different classes have different advantages. The one you get is far and away the best healing. If you don't like that, don't be a life wizard.

Survivor
Apr 15, 2009
Quizzical wrote:

Different classes have different advantages. The one you get is far and away the best healing. If you don't like that, don't be a life wizard.

I never liked this argument, which is often used in many games that feature 'healing classes.' The original poster has stated that he completely understands life attack power is going to be lower, as it naturally should be. But you cannot heal your way through any game without relying on others. This is where the frustration of healing classes comes from. A damage class can group or solo and still do their thing. A healing class can sit and heal themselves all day, but if they are not doing any damage, they are not getting anywhere. I completely agree with him. While your buddies are busy stunning and doing massive damage to everything, you just get to heal more? Boring.

It doesn't even have to be straight 'omg kill everything at once' damage. What if life 48 did this: Heals all, and adds global damage or thorn shield to each player. Every time an enemy attacks, they take say like 100 life damage. The life wizard's role would still be healing, but something like this would actually help damage enemies, which is the way one makes it through the game.

I would actually really love to see something like this, because damage shields are usually worthless in many games, but they would work perfectly in Wizard101.

Defender
Dec 11, 2008
Uhh.. don't you have a secondary school? Life is what it is, it's for healers. Hopefully you have been getting a secondary school spell at the same rate as your Life spells. At least there is a use for your spells. As a Myth student, my minions become useless when I am traveling with 3 other Wizards. But that is rare and they have been life savers... well, except that Troll. He likes that Fire Elf spell way too much.

Survivor
Apr 12, 2009
ok first centaur does 515-595 base damage, what is far more than us death school. Our skeletal pirate does only 510 damage at tops. With all the buffs and enemy debuffs we are able to hit nearly 2k with it. So what is your problem? You like to heal what is major help, you can easily heal back to full health in no time. + with right gameplay and strategy you will be able to hit over 2k damage, not even talking about death monsters. Your healing easily makes up for you disadvantage for multiple attack spells. Nooo, you want to be the overpowering class? That would ruin the game. You want heavy damage dealer attacks, multiple attack spells and healing? erm, too unfair to rest of classes then. What would be point of being fire, or storm schools member? Giving more attack spells would make you too powerful. And dieing of boredom? what is point in that?

Survivor
Mar 31, 2009
I think you are right and wrong.I am life and I am learning fire too.
Fire does a good amount of damage and does not fizzle to often.

Developer
All of the level 48 spells are designed for group play. None of them are going to be awesome when solo-ing.

Also, don't underestimate that fire-elf spell. It does one of the highest damage per pips in the game even taking the accuracy into account.

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
Having a life wizard myself I can completely relate to the OP's opinions. But also having death, balance, and storm wizards, I can understand many of the other posts here as well.

I think what the OP is trying to say is, and correct me if I am wrong, most (if not all) of the seven pip spells are attack spells, except for life.

Now I do understand that the main purpose of life is to heal. But my concern is that when the next world comes out, being a mostly solo player myself, will my Centaur spell be able to bring the heat? Probably not.

Fighting mobs in Dragonspyre already takes forever, I can't WAIT for the next world, but hey! I can heal myself over and over and prolong my fights endlessly.

Survivor
Feb 28, 2009
I'm not complaining about how WEAK the life attacks are. I'm complaining about how FEW of them there are at the upper levels.

Maybe I should clarify my point. Life used to have a reasonable number of attack spells for the first three worlds. In other words, the proportion of attack spells to healing spells worked quite well. Back then, we didn't wait round after round, clearing hand after hand of cards, just hoping to finally draw an attack card.

Then it's as if they just quit creating attack spells when we reached the MooShu levels. By the time we reached Dragonspyre, where average monsters typically have life points in the thousands (and higher level attacks become your bread and butter), the problem was pronounced for us Life wizards. They weren't giving us attack spells anymore!

Where a certain battle might take the other schools ten minutes to finish, Life would have to spend half an hour at it because most of our attacks dated back to the first three worlds.

A final note for those of you who aren't yet in DragonSpyre. Power pips become very important at these levels because more than half your pips are going to be power pips. As a result, we depend more heavily on cards from our own school than ever before. At the lower levels where power pips don't play such a big role, it wouldn't be any big deal to depend on other schools for my attack cards. Here, it's a major handicap.

Explorer
Jul 05, 2008
Well I totally undertand the lifr frustration. I am working my way through dragonsypre I am ice and my game partner is life. Lets just say it is taking forever to get through. Since he does not have a primary mulit attack card. Since I am ice he has not had to use healing on me once. I also carry my troll pendant and a few god health cards.

He started with the character and it will probaly be the last one that gets through dragonspyre. :)

We do get through bit by bit but I must say after having a balance death and fire death this is extremely painful to get through. Why do he still play this character????

Because KI in their bizarre wisdom will not let us tranfer our beta dragons to other characters. So I will need to keep this character for ever.

Explorer
Sep 11, 2008
Any you're complaining? I am an Ice wizard with LOW dmg and high health, but Life gets the same dmg and about the same health as an Ice wizard except it heals more. See you have more than me. You should be happy.

Destiny MistGem
lvl35

Destiny MistFist
lvl 9

Survivor
Feb 24, 2009
Dorrisa wrote:
Any you're complaining? I am an Ice wizard with LOW dmg and high health, but Life gets the same dmg and about the same health as an Ice wizard except it heals more. See you have more than me. You should be happy.

Destiny MistGem
lvl35

Destiny MistFist
lvl 9

Yeah Dorrisa we have less than them Life people can actully HEAL they can heal when most schools can't so why are you guys complaining? I think my secondary school is gonna be life cause I ALWAYS die and so do my friends you Life people have it really good! :? :-o

Survivor
Jan 14, 2009
As a lvl 47 Life Student, I have always dreamed of getting the lvl 48 spell for life. But when I had asked my grandmaster life friend, she said we got another healing attack. Don't blame me, but Life is all about HEALING. Without it, what would happen next? When you were a novice, who helped you survive more battles? What spell? That's right, pixie. It was the only free life spell for other classes. Us life students heal 420 health, rather than 400 health for self only. The Life pixie spell can be used on your piers, rather only just your self. So don't fire the cow teacher. Before her was Sylvia Drake, Malistaire's wife! So don't let Mrs. Moolinda get fired. After all, she has done a great job in teaching. But, just one final note, life should get more attacks rather than healing cards. We already have lots! Here is a list of our attacks:

1. Imp
2. Leprechaun
3.Natures Wrath
4.Seraph
5. Centaur

That's it. Only 5 attack spells. Now here is a list of our healing:
1. Pixie
2.Unicorn
3.Sprite
4. Satyr
5. Sanctuary
6. Rebirth

We have 6 life healing spells in all. Maybe replace Unicorn with an attack like, a a made up spell like GRASSES. Grass comes up and attacks ALL oppenents. Only 275 damage.

Defender
Feb 07, 2009
MoolindaWu wrote:
All of the level 48 spells are designed for group play. None of them are going to be awesome when solo-ing.

Also, don't underestimate that fire-elf spell. It does one of the highest damage per pips in the game even taking the accuracy into account.

Yes you are right!

My Death minion used that on Jakque the Scratcher and it did 138 damage per turn. The minion also defeated him with my help.

Survivor
May 02, 2009
I've been playing MMO's since EQ, and i've always been a healer...reason? i like to be the one keeping my team healthy...and that's the whole point of being a healer!

As healers go we have some good, heavy-hitting spells at our disposal not to mention keeping out allies safer than most Healer-class characters you can find in other online games while keeping ourselves alive too, it's a good balance.

Being a healer in a party means healers attacks are secondary if used at all...fighting on your own requires knowing the limitations of your class and working around that.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
still laughing at fire the cow.

Actually life is fun but not really a good school if you have no friends the good thing about it is everyone likes life! You can heal everyone and do little else and everyone still wants to be your friend.

That said it NEEDS another attack spell it has too that can do anything worth anything.

no one wants to fell helpless alone.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
Merak8 wrote:
Quizzical wrote:

I never liked this argument, which is often used in many games that feature 'healing classes.' The original poster has stated that he completely understands life attack power is going to be lower, as it naturally should be. But you cannot heal your way through any game without relying on others.

That's a perfectly sensible argument in many games. Just not this one. Life already gets considerable attack power here. When solo, the only classes that life trails meaningfully behind in killing power are fire and storm--the highest damage classes. Minions can add more of a gap between life and other classes in terms of killing power, but many battles are short enough that there's no point in using several pips on a minion. Even for battles long enough that you use a minion, the life minion heals you while you focus on direct damage, while other classes have to stop to heal themselves more.

Xakery3 wrote:
I'm not complaining about how WEAK the life attacks are. I'm complaining about how FEW of them there are at the upper levels.

If sanctuary and centaur were swapped (so that you didn't get centaur until level 42), would that make you happy? Ask ice wizards how they feel about not getting iceblade until level 38.

If you don't have enough attack cards in your deck, that's your own fault for not putting more copies of centaur and perhaps seraph in your deck. Other classes don't put more distinct attack cards in their deck. They just have more attack cards that are left out of their deck entirely, while still only using one or two in a given battle.

Survivor
Apr 10, 2009
You don't get a lot of variety in attacking, but you do get 90% success rate for combat spells. And the damage doesn't seem as bad for a healing class as it would be in other MMO's.

Explorer
Mar 14, 2009
Life gets a satyr for their class pet, that doesnt even give a satyr it gives a unicorn spell.

Every level 48 spell might be designed for group play but an AOE attack spell like fire dragon or frost giant could sure be useful solo or with one partner. Rebirth is quite useless alone.

Rebirth is a great spell and I'm happy with it but I really wish there was another attack spell in the life book. It doesnt have to be a 7 pip spell, a well done 5 or 6 pip one would be fine.

Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
I agree we need a spell that will attack all, all others classes have an attact that attacks all. I like being a healer but sometimes you are by yourself against two or more heavy enamies like in other other worlds. to have a spell like Grasses or Root Bound these would be Nature spell where roots or grass engulfs all enamies. At least it would be fair they get to attack 2 to 4 times to your one.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
Hey all my fellow Life Wizards...

This whole topic line is looking at things backwards. Those Wizards who choose schools that make combat easy are those not competent enough for the challenge of life (yeah, that can be taken two ways :D ).

Not only do we save their behinds in battle by healing them, but we have other spells that strengthen them. Yeah, I know, if they could see past the ends of their noses they would be falling down and worshiping the ground we walk on, but...

Let them toss around the easy spells, the big damage spells, the spells that attack multiple foes...just toss 'em around, no thought involved...well, except for the thought of knowing the life wiz is goona save them yet again. Just reach for that inner self, center your conscious on the wonders of life, and just smile at those students who are wasting their life (yeah, two meanings again) on other schools.

Explorer
Sep 11, 2008
If you get some other attack spell then other have to get one too because you would have the most. If you want more attack spell choose fire or storm as a primary school. Plus why are you complaining if I get even worse things than you.
I said those things in page 1. ( last post ) Since I am Ice. Plus you have more accuracy!

BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU HAVE!

Destiny