Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Punishment for not doing LOTS of side quests.

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
I am level 46 life wizard finished with ds. I feel like its a punishment for not doing all side quests. Could you make it so we get the school quests from our teachers when getting to a new area. Like once finished with labrinth our teachers give us the quests. I think its not fair.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
Being finished with Dragonspyre is a punishment?!

There's nothing stopping you from going back and doing the side quests now. If you try to skip as much content as you possibly can, don't complain that it means you didn't finish as much content.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
I could be wrong about this but the teachers don't give side quests for spells based on what other quests you've finished but rather what level you are.

Making it through DS at level 46 is awesome and good job on that. If you're concerned about getting your level 48 spell then it wouldn't take much work to go back and do a couple of those side quests to get the xp you need for it. You get more xp from finishing quests then for killing monsters anyway plus you miss out on a lot of good drops from bosses.

Unless of course your class needed to finish certain side quests in order to complete your level 48 spell quest (ie Ice quest and Oakheart)

Explorer
Feb 09, 2009
They don't give quests based on what quests you've completed but they do give quests with the assumption that you've passed certain content.

If you do ALL of the side quests you'll occasionally level a little faster than the area you're allowed into, and your trainer quests will hit a bump.

For instance in Wizard City your trainers will give you quests that take you to Collosus Blvd at a certain level regardless if you've opened the area up or not.

In Krokotopia, your trainers will send you to the krokospynx long before the normal quest tree actually gives you access to that area.

Survivor
Apr 15, 2009
I think its funny that you think its a punishment. I have seen WAY to many players like you just doing the main story line and not doing any side quest. I am glad to see that by doing this you do not get to be totally done and do not get to feel content that you are a master. I did Big Ben the other day with a person like you who only did the story. He had 700 hit point less then anyone in the party. What a pain he was he was always just about to die until our healer saved him each time. So yea woo hoo your not a master class yet!

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
This begs the big question...why is anyone in a hurry to finish this wonderful game? Sometimes I just wander, looking to see things I may have missed when I was in quest mode. This 'game' is much more than a game, lots of creative effort have been expended here, and it seems a lot of love also. Look at Wizard101 as a game, an artist's expression, and a gift to the players from the team at Wizard101 and you will slow down and savor!

Survivor
Jan 01, 2009
What I'd like to see is some indication there are side quests available.

I was in Dragonspyre but teleported back to help a friend in Marleybone. I got a few useless (for me) drops so popped into a store to sell them off and bang, there's the exclaimation point for a quest. (turned out to be the hourglass quest for the post master) I ran through the tasks at Wizard City and Krokotopia to finish it, but the point was I had already gone through two worlds without ever knowing that quest was there.

Maybe if there was some indicator on the map, a message that so and so requests your help, a colored spot, something.

Survivor
Dec 07, 2008
you shouldnt feel guilty about not doing side quests. I almost didnt finish unicorn way! and i never finished firecat alley.

Survivor
Aug 29, 2008
i've HEARD (not seen) someone that had made it to dragonspyre, but hadn't done ANY SIDE QUESTS, she was level 26 when she got to dragonspyre. i have done ALL side quests except for one person in dragonspyre and one person in colossus boulevard.

Survivor
Aug 16, 2008
Quizzical wrote:
Being finished with Dragonspyre is a punishment?!

There's nothing stopping you from going back and doing the side quests now. If you try to skip as much content as you possibly can, don't complain that it means you didn't finish as much content.

How can finishing DragonSpyre be a punishment??? Although I do feel scared about "punishments".

Natalie Flower
lvl 48
life wizard

Survivor
Mar 14, 2010
robsrojo wrote:
I think its funny that you think its a punishment. I have seen WAY to many players like you just doing the main story line and not doing any side quest. I am glad to see that by doing this you do not get to be totally done and do not get to feel content that you are a master. I did Big Ben the other day with a person like you who only did the story. He had 700 hit point less then anyone in the party. What a pain he was he was always just about to die until our healer saved him each time. So yea woo hoo your not a master class yet!

robsrojo, it is not funny at all. I am one of those people that didn't do the side quests and yes i am not a grand yet and yes i am suffering now because i want to be. but it doesn't matter. I learned now that it's ok to go back and do over, in fact i'm having fun doing it. guys, it's not ok to make fun of the people that didn't do the side quests. When i did it i had no idea that we needed to do them in order to be a grand at the end. No one told me! I don't think it's fair at all that just because you did the all of the quests you think that you have the right to complain about the people who were none the wiser about the whole system. believe me, we feel bad enough. so in the future, if you don't want to say anything helpful (like good side quests to do for xp) just don't say anything at all

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
DarkWaters wrote:

I was in Dragonspyre but teleported back to help a friend in Marleybone. I got a few useless (for me) drops so popped into a store to sell them off and bang, there's the exclaimation point for a quest. (turned out to be the hourglass quest for the post master) I ran through the tasks at Wizard City and Krokotopia to finish it, but the point was I had already gone through two worlds without ever knowing that quest was there.

Maybe if there was some indicator on the map, a message that so and so requests your help, a colored spot, something.

actually, there is an indicator. You just have to look for it. Take a look at the windows. unlit means no quest and no access. Lit up yellow means you have something you can do in there. Lit up blue means you have something you need to do in there.

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
mistystar13 wrote:
robsrojo wrote:

robsrojo, it is not funny at all. I am one of those people that didn't do the side quests and yes i am not a grand yet and yes i am suffering now because i want to be. but it doesn't matter. I learned now that it's ok to go back and do over, in fact i'm having fun doing it. guys, it's not ok to make fun of the people that didn't do the side quests. When i did it i had no idea that we needed to do them in order to be a grand at the end. No one told me! I don't think it's fair at all that just because you did the all of the quests you think that you have the right to complain about the people who were none the wiser about the whole system. believe me, we feel bad enough. so in the future, if you don't want to say anything helpful (like good side quests to do for xp) just don't say anything at all

I think the point that's being made is simply that players who skip most or all of the side quests tend to be lower than they should be for the areas their storyline quests take them to. It's not all that noticeable earlier in the game, but later on it leaves you at a real disadvantage if you've skipped too many side quests. It can also leave other players at a disadvantage if they find themselves in a battle with these players. It's one thing if a player is simply having problems find some side quests, but it's another if they're intentionally skipping them simply to get to new areas quicker. For many of the side quests, simply look at the map. If there is a person listed on it that you haven't had to talk to as a part of the storyline, then they likely have side quests for you. As for the other side quests, check all of the shops or simply ask someone. Here's some info for those looking for side quests.
1. Krokotopia: check the library constantly, even once you are in other parts of krokotopia. also, I believe it's the deck shop that has the other side quest.
2. In Marleybone, one of the post offices and the wand shop have harder to find side quests (the wand shop quest is the easiest to miss).
3. In Mooshu, simply make sure you do the nature quests (Mossback, Oahkeart, etc) in order to open up the following quests.
4. Everywhere: this is a repeat, but an important point. Check your map every time you enter a place. No person is listed on your map if they don't matter. If the storyline quests don't take you to them, then they have side quests.

I hope that helps some people having problems finding side quests. I had someone help me find some my first time through, and I figure I should return the favor.

Delver
Jul 04, 2010
stanklepoot wrote:

actually, there is an indicator. You just have to look for it. Take a look at the windows. unlit means no quest and no access. Lit up yellow means you have something you can do in there. Lit up blue means you have something you need to do in there.

You're referring to the windows on the houses, correct?

It would be nice to have some kind of icon of a side quest available in the map.

Explorer
May 19, 2009
Just go back and do them heck your level 46 Should be no problem Defeating anything from the lower realms!

Delver
Feb 01, 2010
mistystar13 wrote:
robsrojo wrote:

i agree i still do some of my side quest but it's not fair you make fun of people like that cause one day someone may just prove you wrong and you're probably gonna wish you never made fun of them

Survivor
Mar 14, 2010
stanklepoot wrote:
mistystar13 wrote:
robsrojo wrote:

I think the point that's being made is simply that players who skip most or all of the side quests tend to be lower than they should be for the areas their storyline quests take them to. It's not all that noticeable earlier in the game, but later on it leaves you at a real disadvantage if you've skipped too many side quests. It can also leave other players at a disadvantage if they find themselves in a battle with these players. It's one thing if a player is simply having problems find some side quests, but it's another if they're intentionally skipping them simply to get to new areas quicker. For many of the side quests, simply look at the map. If there is a person listed on it that you haven't had to talk to as a part of the storyline, then they likely have side quests for you. As for the other side quests, check all of the shops or simply ask someone. Here's some info for those looking for side quests.
1. Krokotopia: check the library constantly, even once you are in other parts of krokotopia. also, I believe it's the deck shop that has the other side quest.
2. In Marleybone, one of the post offices and the wand shop have harder to find side quests (the wand shop quest is the easiest to miss).
3. In Mooshu, simply make sure you do the nature quests (Mossback, Oahkeart, etc) in order to open up the following quests.
4. Everywhere: this is a repeat, but an important point. Check your map every time you enter a place. No person is listed on your map if they don't matter. If the storyline quests don't take you to them, then they have side quests.

I hope that helps some people having problems finding side quests. I had someone help me find some my first time through, and I figure I should return the favor.

I guess that's how it would seem for someone who has done all the side quests at the same time. I believe that you have a sound and logical argument but what I was getting at is that people do not have the right to make fun of the others who were 'uneducated' enough to do the quests the first time :x . You say that it is a disadvantage later, but that doesn't go for everybody. I think that as long as you have a mind for strategy and you don't do anything stupid you will be fine (and I'm speaking from experience when I say this. Another thing that I've noticed is that not doing the quests has made me a better fighter. Fighting more advanced creatures forced me to think fast to survive.) I completed DS just like everybody else and won battles just like everybody else. And just to prove my point further, I was a better fighter then my storm partner, who did do the side quests. It is only disadvantage if a completely new wizard joins an advanced battle (but that's a completely different story). Another thing you've mentioned, that you find people on the map that are not part of the story line, is not true. People only appear after you've spoken to them/done their quests. This aspect makes things extremely difficult for people who haven't done the sides.

sorry people for such a long post line

Survivor
Jun 01, 2010
DarkWaters wrote:

Hey are you Autumm? I'm John Firecaster and I think you helped me. Thanks! Oh, and sorry I'd finished the battle. and sorry for quitting the other one. the computer was messed up!