Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Empathy for the Poor Necromancers.

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jun 17, 2012
I was doing research on Rank 9 spells and discovered that Dr. Von's Monster is definetly the worst of all the Rank 9 Spells. I feel bad for those poor Necromancers. I am Storm so I value power. KI should give this spell a buff in brute force and/or give it an extra effect.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
Oh, necromancers have boosts for the spell. Mine will use colossal along with her blades and traps. Of course, I'm not out to get the One In A Million badge, but my Iridian can get a great deal of damage. But thanks for looking out for us. :D

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Guye17 wrote:
I was doing research on Rank 9 spells and discovered that Dr. Von's Monster is definetly the worst of all the Rank 9 Spells. I feel bad for those poor Necromancers. I am Storm so I value power. KI should give this spell a buff in brute force and/or give it an extra effect.

Hmm~ I can tell you've never played a Death wizard, as you don't seem to fully understand how the school works.

Death is a trap-happy school. In other words, it requires extensive buffing, in order to be effective~ any good necromancer knows this, and how to manipulate it to his or her advantage, though making friends with Feint and Deathblade is usually sufficient. Other schools, even with mastery amulets, don't even come close to what an experienced necromancer can do with that spell~ and, if you PvP , the aftereffect of Infection (this one cuts your op's next healing spell by 25%) can come in handy.

My first wizard was Balance, so I'm used to a lot less firepower. I also have a legendary Storm with a +85% damage boost, but my archmage necromancer holds the record for my wizarding family's hardest hit: a 30,000 Dr. Von's Monster, on a Fire boss in Avalon. No school boosts, just skill and strategy.

In combat, my Val is a lean, mean combat machine~ he takes forever to kill, and I've got his damage bumped up to +70%. Throw stackable Feints and double Deathblades in there, and watch the enemies run for their lives. I haven't tried PvP with him yet, but if I ever saw a Valerian across from me in the arena, I'd be utterly terrified.

You see, Death has its strengths and weaknesses~ all schools do. But if you know what you're doing, know your limitations, and can make the best of your abilities, there's no reason that you can't be powerful. Even my so-called "weak" Balance wizard can do 5K with a Power Nova... If you can't do that (or more) with your rank 9 spell, it doesn't matter what school you are~ you're doing it wrong.

/my 2 cents.

El Veeb/Laura Shadowsong/Val Deathwhisper
archmage sorceress & necromancer

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Guye17 wrote:

I think you need to see this spell properly used - it can be quite awesome. At this level our Death wizard has access to three different stacking blades - colossus - feint and two different traps.

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
Guye17 wrote:

Oh Von's monster has enough punching power when buffed with feint, colossal, blades and traps. What is lacking with death school is enough kicking power with its main AoE arsenal - Scarecrow. My Death has 78 damage and 225 critical and I find it still lacking in power especially if it doesn't critical. Its new Deer Knight Spell can be buffed to get an initial punch but its DoT has one of the weakest if not the weakest damage I have ever seen. But its quite useful with shield casting enemies.

Death school rocks not because of damage. Its drain spells makes it one of the most formidable tanks in the game. If ice has resist - death has its drain spells. And boy its crazy strong when doing solo. Its not a poor school by a long shot.

Archmages
R. Lionhand
F. Stardust
J. Winterbane
Brahm "finally can cast Deer Knight Spell"

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
I don't mind that Frank doesn't hit that hard, as it is a drain. The added infection is not really useful in PvE, but the spell is not that bad.
Death can buff pretty well, and using the drains it doesn't matter much if it takes you a couple more rounds to cast, as your drain return will fill you back to full health. So it really isn't too bad with Frank, but the infection part is pretty useless.
pods

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
I think chimera is worst. Even the spell looks great it is so hard to boost the damage of it. Compared to von monster the chimera is a big joke.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
open33 wrote:
I think chimera is worst. Even the spell looks great it is so hard to boost the damage of it. Compared to von monster the chimera is a big joke.

Again, if you can't do at least 5000 damage with a rank 9 spell, you're doing it wrong.

With the right combo of buffs (feints, hexes, trained/item Balanceblades, a Dragonblade from my pet, treasure Dragonblade, trained and treasure Spirit Blades), there's no reason for a chimera to be doing any less than 3K per head. Unless you lack skill and/or strategy, there is no good reason that it, like Dr. Von, can't put up some crazy numbers.

Definitely no "poor me" here!

-veebz
archmages Shadowsong & Deathwhisper

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
(Keep in mind that I am a Storm wizard mainly.)

I value power over resist for two schools only: Fire and Storm. These are the schools that should be one hit, bye-bye, end battle and get health then into another fight.

Death takes extreme preparation to do properly and isn't a school for the impatient. I don't log on much on my Death, but when I do it's always rewarding to finish and only have to get one or two health wisps before starting another battle.

As for Dr. Von, the spell is actually very nice in my eyes. A high enough damage without boosts and it's a steal health, so of course you get some health back. Add a critical in and it's a very decent heal. Overall, actually, I think all of the schools got what they needed in their 68 spells, even if it isn't what they wanted. (Here's looking at you PvP folks!)