Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Secondary Class?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 08, 2008
I was just wandering...I am a fire mage and was wandering what I should make my secondary class to make it better balanced...So any help would be appreciated thanks!

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
i think you on the right track Balance has two spells that will help you as a fire school student but Death is a great second school so it will help you as it both attacks and heals and fient is an awsome way to boost Helephant

good luck!

Defender
Jan 20, 2009
Going storm is a logical choice, since you can a) make use of elemental trap and blade, and b) avoid problems with fighting ice aligned monsters (if you were to choose ice as secondary).

Life is also not a bad choice, at least up to Satyr, for the added healing. It depends on how much you solo and what you see your role as in a group when you group.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
If you're thinking of spending training points in terms of taking a secondary class, you're doing it wrong and will waste most of the points.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
I think you should get storm or life. Life is good for group healing and has good attacks at high levels like centaur. I chose storm because of ice's high health and good defenses and the fact i can cast stormzilla with just five pips.

Ice has the power! 8)
Alexander Duskdreamer Level 49 master Ice/Storm

Survivor
Mar 10, 2009
Quizzical wrote:
If you're thinking of spending training points in terms of taking a secondary class, you're doing it wrong and will waste most of the points.

I have seen this before but i would like to know how it is people feel as though you are wasting your point. Might i know what else there is to do with the training points?

-Seth ThunderShield
(Level 16 Myth/Thunder)

Survivor
Mar 29, 2009
Kriv159 wrote:
Quizzical wrote:

I have seen this before but i would like to know how it is people feel as though you are wasting your point. Might i know what else there is to do with the training points?

-Seth ThunderShield
(Level 16 Myth/Thunder)

The key thing to realize is that as you get to the upper levels, you'll get Power Points (the yellow pips that count as 2) a lot more often. My lvl 50 character has a 75% rate of getting Power Points (this is listed on the Character screen, by the way). These Power Points only count as 2 pips if you use them for a spell in your own school, not in another school.

So, all those nifty looking attack spells that are in the other schools? They're just about useless at upper levels. Whatever benfit you get out of having the best school vs. school matchup, or bypassing a shield, or whatever, is more than wrecked by the disadvantage of casting half as many spells. It's just not viable.

This means that at upper levels, all of your attack spells are going to be from your own school. So you're looking for useful spells that don't cost a lot of pips.

The first obvious candidates are the Blade and Trap spell from the Balance School; you don't need to take any previous Balance spells to buy these, so it seems odd not to put 2 points there.

The second obvious candidate is Tower Shield. You can buy Ice high enough up to buy Tower Shield, but then going any further seems silly-- you're getting spells you're never going to cast.

Another obvious candidate is the Death spell Feint. Plus 70% damage makes it possible to kill mobs way, way quicker-- they die turns earlier, which more than makes up for the 30% damage trap it applies to yourself. You can take Death up to Feint, but again, why go further? And why ever put any of the other Death spells in your deck?

Finally, a lot of people like getting Life up to Satyr. That seems like another quite reasonable way to go. You get Absorb along the way, which could conceivably be useful in some decks. I personally don't like this, because it's 4 pips to cast, which means on average I'm "wasting" 3 pips because of spending Power Pips instead of normal Pips. But I understand why some people like it.

What does all this mean? For my Storm Wizard, I took Ice up to Tower Shield but no futher; Death up to Feint, but no futher; Elemental Trap and Elemental Blade; and the Death Shield spell from the lady that teaches all the shield spells-- it's the only school that I didn't already have covered by an existing shield spell. And of course reshuffle is obligatory.

That leaves me with one unspent point.

This certainly isn't the only combination of spells, but the basic logic is compelling: take spells that cost few (if any) pips, and don't put any other spells from that school in your deck, with the possible exception of Satyr.

Hope this helps.

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
Wow, some good points here.

I have a life wizard, who chose myth as secondary class. When I got to my levels above about 35, I regretted it. Well, not so much, as I noticed I rarely used any of them. Very rarely.

I'm going to, this weekend, make a new Life wizard (keeping my old one), and was wondering what secondary school to choose. I never actually thought of picking and choosing here and there up to certain points. I think I'll try that this time, and see how it goes.

Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
andrewgr nailed it on the head..

I am a Myth Wizard and I am pretty much strictly a solo player.

Went with Ice to Tower Shield
Went with Life to Absorb(mainly for pixie awsome 1pip regen)
Went with Balance till Weakness got the blade n trap as well

only 46 so thats all me trainging points atm.. will be figuring the rest out when I know how many points are left to spend....