Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

high level storm vs. ice (resist) strategy

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
This is not a complaint thread. Take complaints about balance and overpowered-ness somewhere else, that's not the topic here.

My primary is an archmage storm. I recently started doing PVP again after many ice wizards began using 70-100% storm resisting gear. About a third of all my opponents are ice now, and I see this gear over and over. I haven't beaten any of them yet, but I want to. I want to discuss ways to make that happen.

Let's assume they all are carrying life mastery amulets.

How do you construct a winning storm deck? What gear are you using? What in your strategy changes if you have to go second (a high percentage of my matches against ice)?

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
I have various tactics against these ices but here is my favorite. Use the avalon crafted gear with the courtly dirk and stellar signet for decent heal boost. If you can run a mastery amulet then do so, if not then an amulet with a good amount of health and a strategic card (ie triage) is probably your best bet. Your main purpose using this deck is to get a setup, tank/heal away his kill attempts and wait for the right moment to strike. use collossal out of school spells to take out his minion and preserve your setup. Converting is key and as such, blood bats is your best friend to prevent conversion blocking. Use enfeeble to prevent them from getting a decent hit, maintain darkwind, kill their minion and summon yours(Yes i said summon the storm minion, trust me an occasional heal and shield can and does come in handy) Healing current is your go to heal unless you have life mastery. Once you have a full setup on the ice(blade, armor blade, bubble, supercharge, convert) put up a veangeance and then go for the OHKO or 2HKO. This strategy works decently but is very time consuming. Prepare for 1 hour and a half+ battle if you plan on using this tactic.

Survivor
Jul 23, 2009
mezzoflage,

You have 2 options. You can go around the resist (prisms, secondary schools, Insane Bolt, minion treasure cards). The other choice is to go through it (Infallible, Stormspear). If you layer Infallible and Stormspear - 5% or so from gear - you reduce the resist to 40-70%. Universal resist is probably ~50% so on average going around means lower resistance. Secondary attacks aren't boosted by Waterworks gear, which you'll probably use. So, perhaps max Leviathan with prism (you could unlock Piercetrain on your pet for shields, Shatter is nice too). Insane makes a nice finish, but not much more since you hit yourself 20% of the time. Here is what I think would be most effective:

Balance Mastery Amulet,
Availing Hands treasures,
Helpful Mander treasures,
storm prismed Leviathans (not maxed).

Notice, the amulet let you heal with availing; the mander shields, give pips, and attacks sometimes; and Leviathan not only hits, but keeps down blades.

Good luck,
Valkoor Stormrunner

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
mezzoflage wrote:
This is not a complaint thread. Take complaints about balance and overpowered-ness somewhere else, that's not the topic here.

My primary is an archmage storm. I recently started doing PVP again after many ice wizards began using 70-100% storm resisting gear. About a third of all my opponents are ice now, and I see this gear over and over. I haven't beaten any of them yet, but I want to. I want to discuss ways to make that happen.

How do you construct a winning storm deck? What gear are you using? What in your strategy changes if you have to go second (a high percentage of my matches against ice)?

My stragety is too simple to be counted as a good plan but here i go. First dont be afriad to use ice shields, second forget every shield they place, blade and trap them, remember to prism or pierce them first, before you hit shatter, leviathan and thats it a one shot oppurtunity, only one chance to win thats it. This stragety is too simple to be used effectively, I'm sure other people will come with those extremely long detailed strageties soon so i won't bother you with the details. Have fun in pvp

Explorer
May 09, 2010
I you may have figured prism will be your best bet here.
battling a high storm resist ice wizard on one on one is futile. Ok they may sacrifice some power for resist but they still have huge chunks of life.
Ice has DOT (damage over time) skills that removes your shield too.
I suggest use prism always, if you can use storm elf, you can buy the tc at bazaar, this can destroy ice shield. hit as soon as possible, dont wait for siren or levi, even a shark can hit good damage with boost at gargant.
if all is lost use insane bolt. they dont have resist against that.

or better yet choose a 3vs3 or 4vs4 fights. Storms a re best in this bec. we have lots of area attacks.

Survivor
Oct 30, 2010
Ok you can beat them easily if your storm! :D you just have to spam bolt and survive just by spamming shields and make them flee! Because i'm level 80 and i'm having trouble because i'm balance. i; All you have to do is that. From Nicholas StormEyes 8) Level 80 Archmage

Survivor
Oct 08, 2011
I like to use myth mastery against ice because I have the option to earthquake to remove their stacks, this also removes your converts though so I like to keep tons of converts in my deck.

Wolf ashstrider

Delver
Jan 13, 2010
mezzoflage wrote:

Just want to say, if ice wizards are smart, they will look at your strategies
here and they will counter it. :( :x