Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Cyber-Bullying, Harassment and Banning Words

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 13, 2012
There have been numerous posts about a particular word that some players feel should not be allowed while others cite the validity of its meaning. Essentially the contest comes down not to one of definitions but of the USE of a given word. I present this problem using the divisive word as an example, but offer this post as a vehicle to spur arguments for the removal of other words that should be included in the filtered chat restrictions (yellow) because they are too often intended to be hurtful or harassing. Yes, the word in question appears in multiple posts dating back to 2009. However, while that indicates that the use of this word in filtered chat continues to be a chronic and contentious problem, other words are likewise offensive in their USE. When a word is used to denigrate and harass other players, that's the definition of cyber-bullying and should be immediately addressed and restricted by KI staff.

The forum is an excellent place for players to generate arguments for and against removal of such words from filtered chat. Here, we should be able to request that KingsIsle consider our arguments - for and against - and possibly respond when a word is removed.

As an example of a proposed request that a word be removed from filtered chat, I'll restate what I feel is the current argument against the word "noob." Sure, web jargon and other common words have valid meanings, which is why they're allowed through the filters in the first place. Looking at all of the posts on this issue, most responses focused on the validity of "noob" as applied to players new to this game or gaming in general. However, when starting a new avatar, I was accused of being a noob in a context that was intentionally meant to be derogatory. My myth wizard just made level 80 so I certainly could have laughed it off but, even as an adult, I felt hurt. It's tantamount to calling someone an idiot, dumb, ignorant or the vast number of similes that are already on the filtered list. It means their gameplay is poor. To be completely frank, it can be used to say that they or their gameplay "stink" (substitute word of choice). Should someone wish to ask if a player is a noob or say that they are a noob, one can just as easily express that with non-filtered words: "Are you new? I am new."

I put forward this posting to generate discussion and requests by forum members that KI review and remove certain words from filtered chat that are USED in a way intended to be derogatory and harassing regardless of whatever other definition or use they may have.

Current Word:
noob

Survivor
Nov 03, 2012
ferretlaw on Sep 17, 2012 wrote:
There have been numerous posts about a particular word that some players feel should not be allowed while others cite the validity of its meaning. Essentially the contest comes down not to one of definitions but of the USE of a given word. I present this problem using the divisive word as an example, but offer this post as a vehicle to spur arguments for the removal of other words that should be included in the filtered chat restrictions (yellow) because they are too often intended to be hurtful or harassing. Yes, the word in question appears in multiple posts dating back to 2009. However, while that indicates that the use of this word in filtered chat continues to be a chronic and contentious problem, other words are likewise offensive in their USE. When a word is used to denigrate and harass other players, that's the definition of cyber-bullying and should be immediately addressed and restricted by KI staff.

The forum is an excellent place for players to generate arguments for and against removal of such words from filtered chat. Here, we should be able to request that KingsIsle consider our arguments - for and against - and possibly respond when a word is removed.

As an example of a proposed request that a word be removed from filtered chat, I'll restate what I feel is the current argument against the word "noob." Sure, web jargon and other common words have valid meanings, which is why they're allowed through the filters in the first place. Looking at all of the posts on this issue, most responses focused on the validity of "noob" as applied to players new to this game or gaming in general. However, when starting a new avatar, I was accused of being a noob in a context that was intentionally meant to be derogatory. My myth wizard just made level 80 so I certainly could have laughed it off but, even as an adult, I felt hurt. It's tantamount to calling someone an idiot, dumb, ignorant or the vast number of similes that are already on the filtered list. It means their gameplay is poor. To be completely frank, it can be used to say that they or their gameplay "stink" (substitute word of choice). Should someone wish to ask if a player is a noob or say that they are a noob, one can just as easily express that with non-filtered words: "Are you new? I am new."

I put forward this posting to generate discussion and requests by forum members that KI review and remove certain words from filtered chat that are USED in a way intended to be derogatory and harassing regardless of whatever other definition or use they may have.

Current Word:
noob
I think the term "noob" (or n00b, as some people type it) is used as a derogatory term. "Newb" should be used as a shortened form of "newbie".

I've also attempted to talk to my fiance in-game, and have discovered that certain numbers (spelled out or otherwise), are banned. I was trying to tell him about a spell card that came up in my deck that required four Pips, but could not say the word "four" or the number "4". I was told that this was done to discourage people from exchanging phone numbers and mailing or e-mail addresses. Just an annoyance, of course, but it makes me wonder if the chat filter can be altered somehow to recognize strings of numbers typed out in any combination (ie., 2 four 6, etc.).