Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Change Epic and Mega talents

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 13, 2011
I hatch loads of pets and spend loads of my time in the form of mirror lake every day and sometimes money in the form of crowns to get good pets or mega snacks to train pets and hatch with my own pets or other people's pet to try to get good traits for my wizards.

I am tired of training a pet up to Epic or Mega only to get "crafty" or "well-trained." That's just plain old wrong. It's very very discouraging and it's really not okay. There needs to be a change. If you are going to spend that kind of time and energy and even money on training a pet to Epic and Mega, you should be guaranteed a useful trait. A useful trait would be something that gives your wizard some additional attack power, additional spell proof, sprite, unicorn, pips o plenty even, may cast pierce, balance blade, etc. These wacky nonsense traits at Epic are a slap in the face. It's really no wonder people quit, especially kids. It's way too frustrating and disappointing. I just trained ANOTHER pet to Epic and got tenacious after so many attempts. I got great talents initially and hatched with good pets with good traits. I honestly don't understand how W101 can think this will make customers happy. :?

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
Hello,

Why do you keep leveling pets that retain selfish talents? That would be your fault. I typically self hatch and get a hit and miss selfish sometimes but you need to change it up to work them out of your pets. It always seems when we want something we dont get it. I have many pets with unicorn, sprite but got defy and not proof for example. 3 years of hatching and I only have one pet with defy, proof sprite combined and it failed at epic with a selfish. Did i hatch this pet anymore? Nope because the selfish will show up again and again. I would say 90% of pets fail by ancient, the few that make it past this only 1% would be usable i.e 4-5 talents you want.
Also so many fails this is how KI keeps old players playing and makes money.

Thanks,

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
The best way to avoid this is to start with good stock pets, hatch, and train the offspring to adult only. When you have enough pets at adult that have been hatched with pets that have minimal selfish talents then you train them past adult.
EX.
Sea dragon (no selfish talents) hatched with wraith (many selfish ones). Train the hatchling to adult to see what manifests. Discard any that manifest a selfish talent by adult. Then either hatch those pets back with the sea dragon or with each other. That will minimize the chances of seeing a selfish talent manifest.
I used this approach with my dragon and death pets. My perfect pet was obtained (proof, sharp shot, pain giver, death giver) after more hatches than I can count.
You can even take the later offspring one step further, and train to ancient before hatching.
Instead of farming Mirror Lake for Pixie stix (a good overall snack), farm for evil magma pea drops instead. The give their own seed at elder and give the best snacks in the game at elder. Less than a week too, from seed to elder, with all likes.
Good Luck,
pods

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
birthdaygirl8 wrote:
I hatch loads of pets and spend loads of my time in the form of mirror lake every day and sometimes money in the form of crowns to get good pets or mega snacks to train pets and hatch with my own pets or other people's pet to try to get good traits for my wizards.

I am tired of training a pet up to Epic or Mega only to get "crafty" or "well-trained." That's just plain old wrong. It's very very discouraging and it's really not okay. There needs to be a change. If you are going to spend that kind of time and energy and even money on training a pet to Epic and Mega, you should be guaranteed a useful trait. A useful trait would be something that gives your wizard some additional attack power, additional spell proof, sprite, unicorn, pips o plenty even, may cast pierce, balance blade, etc. These wacky nonsense traits at Epic are a slap in the face. It's really no wonder people quit, especially kids. It's way too frustrating and disappointing. I just trained ANOTHER pet to Epic and got tenacious after so many attempts. I got great talents initially and hatched with good pets with good traits. I honestly don't understand how W101 can think this will make customers happy. :?

I agree - but what I think it really comes to is, after a while the "chance to get" gets old. After a while it just becomes a disappoint or even aggravation, to put so much effort into something and really get no return on it. Children don't have the patience to wait for these things.

Several areas of the game put things out of the reach of children, even the game itself becomes a chore.

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
birthdaygirl8 wrote:

Here we go again. You know, the pet system has been working for a while now. Sorry your pet failed. But maybe you should be training on the test realm first.

You see, the pet system is a complex system, with many different outcomes. No hatched pet is guarenteed any talent, or not to get any talent at any given point. It is partially your fault for letting the selfish talent enter the blood.

This is the only way I go mega on a pet:

No known selfish talents.
No Common talents.
No uncommon talents.
No card talents
No pedigree below 65.
No pedigree above 80. ( I have my reasons.)
Pet has been tested for a good talent at epic and or mega on the test.

Until you get those, dont go mega. And certainly dont complain on here about it. Might I use the analogy on central, Ronster? When you level a pet up, you are guarenteed one derby talent, and one normal talent. You got your talents you were promised to get when you level up. Sorry it was not what you hoped it would be, but you got one.

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
birthdaygirl8 wrote:

Your are not the only who feels that way. But i really doubt they will change the system now.

For that pet the reached epic and got tenacious, i hope you did not delete or sold it already. I also have failures like that (especially when i was just starting) and what i do is patiently wait for anyone who have good epic pets or even similar failure pets (i.e. at epic) to hatch with and hopefully fleece out the "unwanted ones". I cant count how many times i ran ML for those hatches and training too but one pet will eventually come out good as your best pet.

One thing I do is hatch by the time i get solid talents at ancient and make that egg as my failsafe pet in case i got a dud talent at epic. An ancient pet that has very good talents is "attractive" enough for other pet owners who are looking for a good hatch. This way both you and the other person are happy and might even have another chance of hatching should anything go wrong either at epic or mega level. After a dud at epic, the failsafe egg becomes next in line to be trained and has an increase chance of not manifesting unwanted talents..

Hope this helps

Archmages
R. Lionhand
F. Stardust
J. Winterbane
Brahm

Survivor
Apr 27, 2011
100 percent support i had a deer knight and it got really good stats from baby to ancient. i thought epic would be even better and got it there. Your pet is now epic! it has learned canny! <--- will boost. X facepalm X

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
thejordanator wrote:
birthdaygirl8 wrote:

Here we go again. You know, the pet system has been working for a while now. Sorry your pet failed. But maybe you should be training on the test realm first.

You see, the pet system is a complex system, with many different outcomes. No hatched pet is guarenteed any talent, or not to get any talent at any given point. It is partially your fault for letting the selfish talent enter the blood.

This is the only way I go mega on a pet:

No known selfish talents.
No Common talents.
No uncommon talents.
No card talents
No pedigree below 65.
No pedigree above 80. ( I have my reasons.)
Pet has been tested for a good talent at epic and or mega on the test.

Until you get those, dont go mega. And certainly dont complain on here about it. Might I use the analogy on central, Ronster? When you level a pet up, you are guarenteed one derby talent, and one normal talent. You got your talents you were promised to get when you level up. Sorry it was not what you hoped it would be, but you got one.

Lol just so happens I read that post.. XD

Anyways, dont come complain on the boards about it. I have had my fails also. I actually had one today at adult with life-eye. (Although the talent wasn't made on Central, I ended up making it and posting the image. lol)

Follow everyone's tips. Don't use any pets with lots of selfish talents.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
Hello , this may help try doing pagoda gauntlet if you have it but do it on your own. start or use a low level character level 1 enter the pagoda with your 80 and and the level 1. all the battles are quick one hit and done. we do this for megas and it's possible to get up to 5 rank 8 mega snacks on a single run. Let the level 1 spin at the zone in. each run takes at the MOST 10-15 minutes depending on hand/class etc. It's common to see 2 rank 8's per run somtimes you get 1 sometimes 5 and sometimes none its all that chance factor. however where else can you do all single hit bosses by round 2 and get megas? The drops on snacks are the same if you do it with a group of 80's or solo its quiet sad. Hope this helps your struggle with pets. I know the pain I have been there and have struggles of my own too :-)

cheers,