Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Death School - Doom & Gloom spell

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jul 30, 2012
What an amazing spell that looks absolutely fantastic. Visually stunning. Too bad it results in the death of myself and anbody fighting with me because we can't regen our health!

I am only level 38, but does this spell have any practical application, that doesn't get everybody killed?

For those who don't know, its the death school spell that creates a big blue pulsateing ring around the current battle, and ash falls from the sky. It reduces health spells by 65%. If you have never seen it its because its deadly - to yourself! Other schools have similar but useful spells. The big ring of fire is commonly seen in battles.

Explorer
Feb 12, 2011
D&G is primarily used in PvP. I have used it in PvE like twice - and only to kill a enemy myth bubble, and even then it was a fluke I even had the card in my deck.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Its actually a really good spell. For PvP.
Ex:
You are facing a life level 80. You are a death wizard who uses Steal Spells to heal up. (Ex: Ghoul, Wraith, Vampire, Dr. Von, etc.)

The life with 45% Incoming and 66% Outgoing uses a satyr on themself. That heals: 2070
With a 65% Doom and gloom:
Heals 725
With a 75% Doom and gloom: (TC)
Heals 518
With a 85% Doom and gloom: (EoB TC)
Heals 311
The death with 67% Power, life with 40% Resist, uses a Wraith, dealing 638 (Colossal enchanted) to enemy and healing 319. Now with boost and resist:
Deals 639 and heals 320 (Rounded up) You get the upper hand with an 85% doom and gloom, AND deal damage to the enemy! Now 40% resist for life requires a pet, you can heal up to over 500 if no resist is there!

Note: All mathematic stats are for level 80.

See how it is useful now? :) Also works on Guardian Spirit :P

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
RottenHeart wrote:
What an amazing spell that looks absolutely fantastic. Visually stunning. Too bad it results in the death of myself and anbody fighting with me because we can't regen our health!

I am only level 38, but does this spell have any practical application, that doesn't get everybody killed?

For those who don't know, its the death school spell that creates a big blue pulsateing ring around the current battle, and ash falls from the sky. It reduces health spells by 65%. If you have never seen it its because its deadly - to yourself! Other schools have similar but useful spells. The big ring of fire is commonly seen in battles.

I feel your pain! My second wizard, Valerian, is a level 72 necromancer, and doom & Gloom (D&G) has never had any place in his deck. Its only practical use is in PvP, when you're trying to get rid of your opponent's bubble or prevent a Life wizard from spamming their massive critical heals.

Val once ran through some dungeon in Grizzleheim with another Death wiz, who thought spamming D&G was a good idea. Put simply, we couldn't heal at all, and it was all we could do to stay alive~ I wanted to swat that guy with my Quagga Blade!

(Before Death, I played Balance. It is often said that those 2 schools are the closest in offensive and defensive capabilities, which also means that the only aura more useless than D&G is Power Play... sure, it boosts your power pip chance by 45%, but it boosts your enemy's power pip chance, too. So now, those rank 2 monsters have a zillion power pips... just what you always wanted, right?)

Happy trails,

Laura Shadowsong, archmage sorceress
Valerian Deathwhisper, transcendent necromancer

& the rest of the El Veeb Army ;)

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
Has zero practical application in PvE. It is a PvP spell only.
In PvE, enemies heal so rarely that you are wasting pips and handicapping your own side/pet with D&G, infection, and mass infection. Even Dr. Von's infection is worthless in PvE.
I have found (level 78) that most of the cool spells that death has are marginally applicable to PvE. Dark Pact, Empower, even beguile are tough to wield.
The damage inflicted by the damage spells is death damage, so any and all blades will be tripped when you use one. So these spells are first round only.
I do use sacrifice, which I think is fair to have the damage being death damage, as it is a very useful spell.
You will find as you go along that you will only need to pack a couple of damage spells in your deck to play. Mainly drains, buffs and prisms.
Good luck!
pods

Survivor
Jun 28, 2012
Doom and gloom is not normally usefeull when fighting enemies(especially if you are being helped by non-death wizards).When using it you have to rely on drains in order to heal and since most schools don't have drains it's not any good using it when others re helping you.You should use it only in 1v1 pvp to prevent your one and only enemy from healing or when fighting life bosses solo to damage them and stop them from regaining to much health.So unless you're soloing pvp or life bosses DON'T USE UT!!!

Survivor
Nov 26, 2011
Doom can really only be used in PVP. It is one of deaths main advantages in the arena because deaths drain spells are not affected by it. Best time to cast it is when you have the health advantage over your opponent and right before or after a big attack. Combo Doom with infections and your opponent will have a hard time gaining health back from the damage dealt.

Survivor
Sep 27, 2011
RottenHeart wrote:

For those who don't know, its the death school spell that creates a big blue pulsateing ring around the current battle, and ash falls from the sky. It reduces health spells by 65%. If you have never seen it its because its deadly - to yourslf! Other schools have similar but useful spells. The big ring of fire is commonly seen in battles.

Exactly an extremely good spell to use once you have the health advantage over the other team and expecting them to heal themselves. Used to finish the duel by reducing the effectiveness or eliminating any counter done by the opposing player/players.