Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

pvp match timer

AuthorMessage
Defender
Dec 16, 2009
there needs to be a timer that is the deciding factor of when a match ends
in the arena it shouldn't be more then 2 hours if you cant beat some one in 2 hours then when the timer ends the one with the most HP wins 2 hours is plenty of time to beat some if you cant do it before time runs out then you deserve to lose not to say your strategy is bad though that may be the case but most likely could use some modification's

not to mention this would make people who finally realize that they obviously are not going to beat you think twice about going AFK for a hole match because i know for a fact i'm not the only one who finds that annoying i cant stand people who go AFK when they realize they cant beat you and they do it to waste your precious time if you know for a fact your not going to win then leave the match and go to a new one don't waste people time

i know i would much rather be in a new match then in the same one with person i'm fighting is afk my time is valuable to me and i don't want to wast it in the arena with some one who has gone afk just because they know they cant win

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
Sariana1337 wrote:
in the arena it shouldn't be more then 2 hours if you cant beat some one in 2 hours then when the timer ends the one with the most HP wins 2 hours is plenty of time to beat some if you cant do it before time runs out then you deserve to lose not to say your strategy is bad though that may be the case but most likely could use some modification's

not to mention this would make people who finally realize that they obviously are not going to beat you think twice about going AFK for a hole match because i know for a fact i'm not the only one who finds that annoying i cant stand people who go AFK when they realize they cant beat you and they do it to waste your precious time if you know for a fact your not going to win then leave the match and go to a new one don't waste people time

i know i would much rather be in a new match then in the same one with person i'm fighting is afk my time is valuable to me and i don't want to wast it in the arena with some one who has gone afk just because they know they cant win

I agree on the timer though going by most health gives ice, and life the biggest advantage. Plus if you compare health from a storm to a ice there is a huge difference.

I think it just should be a tie. :?

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
I shocked to see such a post from life wizard posting almost the same post as I did a month ago.
https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/53026.ftl

The infinite time fight usually goes because of strong healers and tanks - life and ice.

At the end of timer it should be a tie.

Defender
May 30, 2010
i think that at end of the timer who ever lost the lowest percent of health wins. ice may have 4000 health but has 2000 left he lost 50%. the opponent storm had 2500 health and has 2000 left he lost 20% health storm wins.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
mollyisthebest wrote:
i think that at end of the timer who ever lost the lowest percent of health wins. ice may have 4000 health but has 2000 left he lost 50%. the opponent storm had 2500 health and has 2000 left he lost 20% health storm wins.

Unfortunately this would lead to a different kind of issue. If I knew that percentage of health was all that was required to win after 2 hours I would tank for those 2 hours then I would simply save my heals and max out my health right before the timer expires. I understand the frustration with long matches(One of my options is a tank storm and I was recently involved in a 3 hour standstill with a myth using this technique) but a timer would simply cause a larger issue. My suggestion: After a certain amount of time(2 to 3 hours or whatever) the players would be given the option of a consensual flee. In this case the player fleeing would lose no points, have no loss counted in his win/loss ratio, be able to enter the matchup system immediately and gain the losing tickets(4tickets) but the player who stuck around would gain points/rank etc as if he/she was victorious.

Defender
Dec 16, 2009
FatesKin wrote:
mollyisthebest wrote:

Unfortunately this would lead to a different kind of issue. If I knew that percentage of health was all that was required to win after 2 hours I would tank for those 2 hours then I would simply save my heals and max out my health right before the timer expires. I understand the frustration with long matches(One of my options is a tank storm and I was recently involved in a 3 hour standstill with a myth using this technique) but a timer would simply cause a larger issue. My suggestion: After a certain amount of time(2 to 3 hours or whatever) the players would be given the option of a consensual flee. In this case the player fleeing would lose no points, have no loss counted in his win/loss ratio, be able to enter the matchup system immediately and gain the losing tickets(4tickets) but the player who stuck around would gain points/rank etc as if he/she was victorious.

sounds pretty fair to me i dont know about the rest of you but i could agree with

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
FatesKin wrote:
mollyisthebest wrote:

Lets say I pvp about 3 hours and no one wins. So I need go back to real life because I have things to do but my opponent have like 10 hours more to play and he builds on my frustration to win this fight. I don't think its fair timer will stop all the players use this technique counting that the opponent need to leave in some point. Tie is very fair answer.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
open33 wrote:
FatesKin wrote:
mollyisthebest wrote:

Lets say I pvp about 3 hours and no one wins. So I need go back to real life because I have things to do but my opponent have like 10 hours more to play and he builds on my frustration to win this fight. I don't think its fair timer will stop all the players use this technique counting that the opponent need to leave in some point. Tie is very fair answer.

If you don't have time don't PvP.

It's a general rule for all online games that if you don't have time for something that could potentially last hours and you know it could, then don't do it. Boom, problem solved.

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
ionya wrote:
open33 wrote:
FatesKin wrote:
mollyisthebest wrote:

It's a general rule for all online games that if you don't have time for something that could potentially last hours and you know it could, then don't do it. Boom, problem solved.

How much time exactly is enough for you? Forever is good? I not immortal unlike you and I want to do other things besides play the whole day long. People with couple of free hours play deserve to pvp as much as those who spend days non stop playing without seen fresh air at all. Thinking about it, if this is a game for kids too its not healthy at all play so much, thus we need a timer. You probably Life or Ice wizard since they the only class who stuck you with infinite fight for nothing but time waste. No fun just complete boredom. They actually the only schools who will get huge disadvantage from timer, since their whole strategy is wasting all your time and win because their opponent got so bored that he fall asleep in the middle of fight. I like pvp and you don't have any right to tell what should I do. If you enjoy to fight endless time using your Ice or Life super healer tank, good for you. Some people like short and fun fights using actually strategy and not monotony fight that's leads to nowhere.

Defender
Dec 16, 2009
sorry open but he does have a point if you know full well that a fight will take X amount of time and you don't have the time to devote to said fight then you knowingly wast your own time participating in said fight

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
Sariana1337 wrote:
sorry open but he does have a point if you know full well that a fight will take X amount of time and you don't have the time to devote to said fight then you knowingly wast your own time participating in said fight

Please read before you post something. X could be any number of hours as I said before everyone have the right to pvp not only players who live in the game. What you do is actually saying whoever has more time wins.
I understand that you Sariana1337 belong to immortal race that could play as much as needed. Time is meanless for you. But parent (especially working parents) know that time is very expensive and cannot be thrown that way. Keep in mind that this game is for kids and parents you have no right to ignore any of the groups and say to them "you guys out!".

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
Sariana1337 wrote:

Sariana1337 wrote:

Oh and Sariana1337 please decide what you want first before posting. Play unlimited X amount of time or play with limit amount of time maybe like 1-2 hours.

Delver
Jun 02, 2010
I do not think a PvP match timer should be imposed universally. Lots of people like long and long matches, and there are lots of people that really on strategies which take a much long time to defeat the opponent. Do not forgot about Life wizards with Guardian Spirit and Ice wizards with High resist. They can take a long time defeat. Instead of imposing PvP match timers universally I think that the creators of matches should be allowed to selected the max amount of time that they want matches to last with the ability for the player to see how long the match will last. Players who like short matches could do those as well.
https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/49441.ftl
This thread explains my idea better.

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
AaronMerriin wrote:
I do not think a PvP match timer should be imposed universally. Lots of people like long and long matches, and there are lots of people that really on strategies which take a much long time to defeat the opponent. Do not forgot about Life wizards with Guardian Spirit and Ice wizards with High resist. They can take a long time defeat. Instead of imposing PvP match timers universally I think that the creators of matches should be allowed to selected the max amount of time that they want matches to last with the ability for the player to see how long the match will last. Players who like long matches could do those and players who do not like short matches could do those as well.
https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/49441.ftl
This thread explains my idea better.

I like it. That would solve a lot of problems maybe even fix pvp system.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
open33 wrote:
ionya wrote:
open33 wrote:
FatesKin wrote:
mollyisthebest wrote:

How much time exactly is enough for you? Forever is good? I not immortal unlike you and I want to do other things besides play the whole day long. People with couple of free hours play deserve to pvp as much as those who spend days non stop playing without seen fresh air at all. Thinking about it, if this is a game for kids too its not healthy at all play so much, thus we need a timer. You probably Life or Ice wizard since they the only class who stuck you with infinite fight for nothing but time waste. No fun just complete boredom. They actually the only schools who will get huge disadvantage from timer, since their whole strategy is wasting all your time and win because their opponent got so bored that he fall asleep in the middle of fight. I like pvp and you don't have any right to tell what should I do. If you enjoy to fight endless time using your Ice or Life super healer tank, good for you. Some people like short and fun fights using actually strategy and not monotony fight that's leads to nowhere.

If you knew me, you'd know I don't have forever. In a week I get about five hours of play time in here, including the time I spend to help friends. Boom, we're knocked down to about three hours a week1

If I know how much time I can spend on here, I won't do something I know can last ages.

You know Ice's high resist and health makes a match long. You also know that Guardian Spirit makes a match long. There, if you know a match will be long, quit and find a new one. Rank isn't always everything you know.

And by the way, I'm a Storm wizard, level 77 who actually worked her way up over a period of months. If you're going to assume things, please take time to back up your reasoning. In many of my posts I sign it with Scarlet Nightdreamer, Lever ___ Diviner.

I never said what you had to do, I just said what you could do.

Now, my arguments have been made and that is that. Seeing as how you're making assumptions from nothing I'm just not going to reply anymore though.

(And don't get me wrong - I love PvP. But, if you want to win easily and quickly you make an Ice for it. My Ice has never been in a match longer then thirty minutes. XD)

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
Sariana1337 wrote:

Wait... did you just contradict the post I just replied to with this one?

o. O

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
ionya wrote:
open33 wrote:
ionya wrote:
open33 wrote:
FatesKin wrote:
mollyisthebest wrote:

If you knew me, you'd know I don't have forever. In a week I get about five hours of play time in here, including the time I spend to help friends. Boom, we're knocked down to about three hours a week1

If I know how much time I can spend on here, I won't do something I know can last ages.

You know Ice's high resist and health makes a match long. You also know that Guardian Spirit makes a match long. There, if you know a match will be long, quit and find a new one. Rank isn't always everything you know.

And by the way, I'm a Storm wizard, level 77 who actually worked her way up over a period of months. If you're going to assume things, please take time to back up your reasoning. In many of my posts I sign it with Scarlet Nightdreamer, Lever ___ Diviner.

Now, my arguments have been made and that is that. Seeing as how you're making assumptions from nothing I'm just not going to reply anymore though.

(And don't get me wrong - I love PvP. But, if you want to win easily and quickly you make an Ice for it. My Ice has never been in a match longer then thirty minutes. XD)

This post is about limit the pvp time. I very surprised that you not support this idea if you have such a limited time to play. With pvp timer you no longer need to run away from any fight. I not complain about ice school even their resist the fight with them not takes that long as with life school. Actually I had a flawless victory against ice a month ago when I left complete untouched.
Timer will not give easy win so don't assume things too.

Defender
Dec 16, 2009
no i was agreeing with you and saying that if he knows that the fight will take more time then he can commit to and he knows this then going in to the fight any way he is then willingly wasting his own time

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
Sariana1337 wrote:
no i was agreeing with you and saying that if he knows that the fight will take more time then he can commit to and he knows this then going in to the fight any way he is then willingly wasting his own time

For some reason my opponents never tell me how long the fight would be. Do you this they should tell? On the other hand they can trick me saying its gonna be short fight and make it long.
The truth is there is no way to know till I deep in the fight wasting my time, and you as pvper should know that. You just post non sense responses only to contradict me. Since its looks like you not against pvp timer post that you started yourself.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
open33 wrote:
ionya wrote:
open33 wrote:
ionya wrote:
open33 wrote:
FatesKin wrote:
mollyisthebest wrote:

This post is about limit the pvp time. I very surprised that you not support this idea if you have such a limited time to play. With pvp timer you no longer need to run away from any fight. I not complain about ice school even their resist the fight with them not takes that long as with life school. Actually I had a flawless victory against ice a month ago when I left complete untouched.

I'm not assuming. I know the timer won't give an easy win. That's PvP to you, gotta earn it. That, or spend money, which I do not plan on doing.

Anyways, I'm saying if you know you have a short time don't do something you know could be long.

Another reason is the fact that my computer/laptop is slow and probably wouldn't support the update. Right now Wizard101 works, but it has become very, uh, laggish, I guess you could say. If this would be added I'd have to save up money for a laptop of my own, which would take several years at the least, and I'd hate to have to pay money out of my pocket for a membership that wouldn't be used.

Short answer, if it might take long, don't do it. Managing time is a useful skill to learn in life, and if you learn it while doing this you can have fun while learning.

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
ionya wrote:
Anyways, I'm saying if you know you have a short time don't do something you know could be long.

Short time and long time terms are undefined. Can you give me a the minimum time (in minutes or hours) that I need for pvp? Or give me an idea how do I know right in the beginning of the fight (without spending my time) that it would take long time? Consider that not all ice and life schools are turtle pvpers and fight with them is actually fun and very challenging.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
open33 wrote:
ionya wrote:

Short time and long time terms are undefined. Can you give me a the minimum time (in minutes or hours) that I need for pvp? Or give me an idea how do I know right in the beginning of the fight (without spending my time) that it would take long time? Consider that not all ice and life schools are turtle pvpers and fight with them is actually fun and very challenging.

Sarcasm may be used. Laughed if you want, I'm fine.

Minimum time: One second.

Maximum time.: From what I've seen, twelve hours. (Yes, 12. )

How you know in the beginning is you test a Fire/Storm wand spell If they have fair resist, it's probably a Life or Ice. Then, cut that by about 20-50 percent and you have the other schools' resist. Then, since most Ice have crazy income/outgoing healing assume it's around 20 percent at least. Also, don't forget that they can still get around 32-40 percent damage. If you calculate this you get a total of a thirty minute (at the least) fight with an Ice if they don't kill you first. (Let's face it, Infallible and Spears are probably needed. And then comes the blade stacking and shield breaking spells.)

As for not all Life and Ice people are turtle players, you are absolutely right. Problem is, most are. What with the new spells/gear it's an optimum strategy for people who dislike actually using strategy to win.

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
ionya wrote:
open33 wrote:
ionya wrote:

How you know in the beginning is you test a Fire/Storm wand spell If they have fair resist, it's probably a Life or Ice. Then, cut that by about 20-50 percent and you have the other schools' resist. Then, since most Ice have crazy income/outgoing healing assume it's around 20 percent at least. Also, don't forget that they can still get around 32-40 percent damage. If you calculate this you get a total of a thirty minute (at the least) fight with an Ice if they don't kill you first. (Let's face it, Infallible and Spears are probably needed. And then comes the blade stacking and shield breaking spells.)

As for not all Life and Ice people are turtle players, you are absolutely right. Problem is, most are. What with the new spells/gear it's an optimum strategy for people who dislike actually using strategy to win.

So if I have 1 second for pvp I can go for it, that's great!
Life doesn't necessarily have a good resist as ice.
Your method determine whenever I need to flee will actually increase the amount of tanks we have for pvp since they will realize that more people flee from their "might".

Explorer
Feb 25, 2012
ionya wrote:
open33 wrote:
ionya wrote:
open33 wrote:
ionya wrote:
open33 wrote:
FatesKin wrote:
mollyisthebest wrote:

I'm not assuming. I know the timer won't give an easy win. That's PvP to you, gotta earn it. That, or spend money, which I do not plan on doing.

Another reason is the fact that my computer/laptop is slow and probably wouldn't support the update. Right now Wizard101 works, but it has become very, uh, laggish, I guess you could say. If this would be added I'd have to save up money for a laptop of my own, which would take several years at the least, and I'd hate to have to pay money out of my pocket for a membership that wouldn't be used.

Short answer, if it might take long, don't do it. Managing time is a useful skill to learn in life, and if you learn it while doing this you can have fun while learning.

-I always have fun learning! :)
-To me Wizard101 isn't laggy! D:{
-Has anybody heard of the option "flee"?
-If we are doing someting that might take long and we only have a short time, like i said in the above, just flee!

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
open33 wrote:
ionya wrote:
open33 wrote:
ionya wrote:

So if I have 1 second for pvp I can go for it, that's great!
Life doesn't necessarily have a good resist as ice.
Your method determine whenever I need to flee will actually increase the amount of tanks we have for pvp since they will realize that more people flee from their "might".

I never said people would flee,but that considering the length of some matches it would be desirable to do so. (Note, I said some and not all.)

Anyways, why would more people create tanks? On to this point. It's no real secret anymore that Ice is getting fairly powerful with resist, and to be honest blade/pierce blade stacking take up rounds. Then comes getting rid of shields because it's only strategy for the Ice to shield before you hit. That in and of itself takes up about ten minutes. (Animations are included.) Then sometimes it takes a while to save up pips for Reshuffle if you discard the attacks. (Only if you discard. If you don't subtract around four minutes from the final total.) That would take about another four minutes. Around fifteen minutes already. By then you're probably spending pips on healing and so we can add around another five to seven minutes on to that. Then comes the big moment, the final hit. (Sometimes, if you miscalculate and don't kill the Ice/Life they can heal again and you can start grinding again! :D Fun!)

As for Life, they don't necessarily need high resist if they have decent incoming/outgoing healing. It's not that difficult to waste two power pips on a Satyr then to hit with something.

I've seen matches with Ice wizards and Life wizards and this is the shortest time I've seen for all of them. (And in this we're talking about people who use strategy, not those that just go up against an Ice and think that sheer damage will save them. These fights usually last all of ten minutes before said person gets frustrated and dies or flees.)