Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hall Monitors!

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I meant yellow words not red, I've been muted once for one day for saying something in yellow. My friend got muted for saying something in yellow, I don't say things in red but yellow and i get in trouble for it.

We have seen some words that are in yellow (mild curse words) being muted, but I suspect there will be more as well. For some of those being muted on yellow words, it is for the simple fact they continue to go around the filter to say them.... Going around the filter IS NOT ALLOWED. I have also seen some muted for saying the milder curse words correctly spelled, so you might want to remove those from you vocabulary in the game.

BUT, I would be very careful even saying those that have been allowed since there is a very good chance that those words may be RED very soon.

I think there are going to be more changes in the chat system that no one is aware of other than KI owners and Staff.

I also think that the Monitors have very specific guidelines that KI has asked them to follow when muting. Those mild curse words may now be on the reason to mute list so I would reccomment not saying ANY curses. There is also a VERY GOOD chance those Monitors are ACTUAL KI STAFF. If so, then I would definitely say change you chat habits very quickly.

It is quite obvious that KI has said ENOUGH and is taking any and all steps necessary to put a stop to this kind of language in the game.

There is literally no excuse for the foul language in the game and for not reading the ToU/Chat rules. Those that are spamming F2P for the purpose of bad behavior in the game are gong to be facing stricter sanctions if it does not stop. Harassing the HMs will also get you stricter sanctions.

Claiming False reports is childish. Myself and many of my friends have witnessed some of the players being muted then going to the boards complaining they were falsely muted. Everyone of them that I recognize from the game and on the boards making these claims are in fact making FALSE CLAIMS against the HMs.

Fallon WinterLeaf Founding Member WCP

Armiger
May 10, 2010
I meant yellow words not red, I've been muted once for one day for saying something in yellow. My friend got muted for saying something in yellow, I don't say things in red but yellow and i get in trouble for it.

People also can get muted for words that are in white, did you know that?

If people put a couple/few acceptable words in a specific order, to try and form a curse word, that is still considered, cursing around the filter.

Also, there are words that if you add things to them, can change from red to yellow. Why? Because it is impossible to cover every possible way to change or modify every possible word with every possible change that could be made.

The problem is, people know what their intent was, people just try and pass themself off as the innocent victim in these situations.

There is absolutely no reason to ever put 2 or 3 words in a specific order that forms a curse words. People know what they are, people are not that stupid. These words do not make any sense in a sentence together, no, the only way they make any sense, is by the curse word they are forming when combined.

Same as stating, I am a Hall Monitor. With or without a ? Why would you ever need to say that with a ? If someone accuses you of being a Hall monitor, you would not say, I am a Hall Monitor? No, you would state, "I am not a Hall Monitor, but it would be cool"

So, I have no sympathy for those that claim to be innocent victims. Sorry, but if you read the Terms of Use, you might actually see why you got muted.

We should all respect and appreciate the Hall Monitors for taking the time to help clean up the spiral and keep it safe for everyone.

Defender
Aug 07, 2011

Was it, by any chance, turning something that would be red into something yellow to get by the filters? Cursing past the filters is reportable and a mute earned.

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
If you type something and it is red and hit enter NO ONE can read it. So, one must type it to make it at very least yellow in order for people to see it. SO yes you can get reported for typing a yellow word..... there are many many yellow versions of certain words that are not allowed. People make them yellow to get around the filters and think because it is yellow that it is ok, it is NOT OK that is creative circumvention of the filters... and can be reportable and in come cases mute-able.

Survivor
Jul 21, 2010
Hi Kings isle, I heard about the hall monitors, and I was wondering why we needed them. First of all, some kids buy gift cards for membership and crowns so they cannot have this advantage of open chat and are less likely to hear inappropriate words and actually comprehend them. Second of all, if they do have full paying membership then there parents have a choice of whether or not to allow their kids to have open chat. So why need hall monitors? Nasty attitudes are wherever you go, and everyone is susceptible to it, but it is also the guardians responsibility to understand what their child is participating in. Lastly, if they are children, you would have the common sense to automatically know that your child should be very limited to chat, just in case, so therefore you might want to only allow them to have menu chat. Personally I think the hall monitor thing has gone to far, i mean with all this complex security already, why would we need more?

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
rubyheartlove wrote:
Hi Kings isle, I heard about the hall monitors, and I was wondering why we needed them. First of all, some kids buy gift cards for membership and crowns so they cannot have this advantage of open chat and are less likely to hear inappropriate words and actually comprehend them. Second of all, if they do have full paying membership then there parents have a choice of whether or not to allow their kids to have open chat. So why need hall monitors? Nasty attitudes are wherever you go, and everyone is susceptible to it, but it is also the guardians responsibility to understand what their child is participating in. Lastly, if they are children, you would have the common sense to automatically know that your child should be very limited to chat, just in case, so therefore you might want to only allow them to have menu chat. Personally I think the hall monitor thing has gone to far, i mean with all this complex security already, why would we need more?

In actuality, the Hall Monitor thing has not gone too far. The people that abuse the chat system are the ones who have gone too far.

It is unfortunate, but many young children have filtered or open chat, allowing them to find creative ways to 'express' themselves through creative typing.

There are many guardians who watch what their children are doing and care about what goes on in the game and the internet in general. Then, there are many that don't watch what their children are doing, because they think they can trust them to do what's right in the game, thinking it's a safe environment, and their little 'darlings' won't do anything wrong.

Over the last several years, people who have abused the chat have been doing so without consequences. Many are younger players that are under 18. It took a post from a mother, whose young daughter was called a very obscene name, for some of us to step up and take notice to what is really going on in the game. Foul language, bullying, threats, harassment, racial slurs, and more, were and are a common place in a game that is suppose to be safe for everyone.

The report button, which people can use in the game to report abusive chat, had been sitting in a closet collecting dust for many players. Since June of this year, some of us formed the Wizard City Protectors group, which consists of parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and friends, and we were determined to dust off that report button and do what was right, which is to report rule breakers to KI. KI has become inundated with reports, and not just from our group. Others are not as afraid anymore to press that report button.

Since KI has become aware of just how bad the game has gotten, they have implemented the Hall Monitors, who can warn and mute with immediate results. For the moment, there is chaos among the 14-18 year olds (some younger, some older, but the majority is within this range), because they can no longer express themselves creatively by typing offensive words or sentences.

The rebellion will calm down at some point, and many will be able to go back to playing the game as it was meant to be. For those that try and continue to abuse the chat, their days are numbered, unless they change their attitude. Neither KI, nor many players in the game, will let down our guard again.

All we want is for Wizard101 to continue to be the fun, family friendly game it is.

Brynn IceBlade
Wizard City Protector
Founding Member
Archmage of Ice Awesomeness

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
I have to add my thanks to KI for the addition of the Hall Monitors! I finally saw one at work the other day. The hub bub that ensues is quite entertaining, I have to say.

I have to admire the individuals who are doing this job. I am one of the WCP and have had enough with those who feel the rules are made for everyone else besides themselves. If they feel that way, they need to find another game besides one rated for 10 +.

Survivor
Mar 30, 2009
I agree! But theres this guy named elijah who keeps saying bad words and not getting muted at all! i think they should do some banning for a day to,i am also sad because my friend teleported and said: I WANNA BE MUTED MUTE ME MUTE ME! When he whispered to me: i really dont just wanna have fun with them. then he got muted i asked him and it was a week i still agree with you though

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
rubyheartlove wrote:

Parents, as I recall being a tween myself, aren't supposed to watch our every move.

And as for the reason they let us buy the stuff and change chat. One word: expectations. A kid should not have to try and act cool just because he was under peer pressure. And also, consider that we pay with our own money for everything. No gifts for us, nothing.

Kids today, let's face it, have a worse generation of parents then kids in earlier generations did. Now, there are a few nice kids, but these are the exception, not the rule.

Scarlet Nightdreamer, Level 76 Diviner
Alura Unicornglade, Level 29 Thaumaturge

Survivor
Oct 14, 2009
Hi i would like to know more information about hall monitors pls contact and post a thing that says what it is.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
epicthedog wrote:
I agree! But theres this guy named elijah who keeps saying bad words and not getting muted at all! i think they should do some banning for a day to,i am also sad because my friend teleported and said: I WANNA BE MUTED MUTE ME MUTE ME! When he whispered to me: i really dont just wanna have fun with them. then he got muted i asked him and it was a week i still agree with you though

Epicthedog, there is a very high possibility that "Elijah" has been muted but may not appear to be if he has been SPAMMING F2P accounts. It only takes a few minutes to switch from one account to another so don't assume he hasn't been muted.

Explorer
May 25, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:
epicthedog wrote:

Well.. remember Allison DeathHeart? (if you don't, sorry for the confusion)

Hopefully your not the Fallon that Allison met.

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
I don't see anything wrong with the hall monitors. If you want to use foul language with your friends, invite them back to your house. Keep it in more private places. I doubt the monitors are hunting people down to flag them, it seems more like they're warding off the random spammers.

Any adult who seems to think this new policy is excessive, then I'd have to question their motives for playing a game tailored for children. Like seriously, if you're an adult playing this game, and you think the chat restrictions and monitors are that bad, what things are you trying to say to players that you are assuming are children?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
nesossin06 wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with the hall monitors. If you want to use foul language with your friends, invite them back to your house. Keep it in more private places. I doubt the monitors are hunting people down to flag them, it seems more like they're warding off the random spammers.

Any adult who seems to think this new policy is excessive, then I'd have to question their motives for playing a game tailored for children. Like seriously, if you're an adult playing this game, and you think the chat restrictions and monitors are that bad, what things are you trying to say to players that you are assuming are children?

No, foul language in your home is still not allowed.

Even if there are no Hall Monitors present, the big guys (Mr. Lincoln & his staff) still review ALL chat-logs~ this includes whisper-chats and so-called "private" conversations in your home. If they find any ToU violations, they will dole out sanctions accordingly.

I am a young adult, and I fully support the Hall Monitors. In fact, we are the ones who pushed for something like this to be put in place, because we don't believe that open chat lets us say whatever we want. The kids and teens who swear (and, if they have open chat, change red words to yellow) are the ones with grievances, since they're being "inconvenienced" by mutes and the ban-hammer. And the ones who cry "first amendment" clearly don't read the boards, since Prof. Greyrose has stated several times that there is no first amendment in the Spiral.

As well, it's not a kids' game~ it's a family game: big difference.

I started off playing Wiz101 with my young nephew, but he's moved on to other things. I'm still here because I enjoy it, and because I don't like guild-driven, elitist bloodbaths like WoW and SWTOR: they're too much work, and cause unnecessary stress, because they aren't fun... and games should be fun, right?

"El Veeb"
Wizarding aunt, WCP group leader, & Archmage of Awesomeness ;)

Survivor
Mar 30, 2009
Yeah, I guess but I have one question does wizard101 invite people who have open chat and are being good then they ask them to be hall monitors? I'm really confused :?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
epicthedog wrote:
Yeah, I guess but I have one question does wizard101 invite people who have open chat and are being good then they ask them to be hall monitors? I'm really confused :?

Hey there~ all we know is that KI conducts an extensive screening process. I would also assume that one must also be over 18, and have a clean record (no prior ToU violations or false reports). Open chat is probably a requirement as well, as those with text-chat can't see the yellow words being used to bypass the filters.

That all said, the only ones who know are KI, and the HMs themselves. Hats off to all of you, whoever you are. ;)

-veebz

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
epicthedog wrote:

KI is the only one who has the knowledge of what it takes to be a Hall Monitor. It may include, being over the age of 18, have open chat, being a member in good standing, and possibly one who is involved in the wizard community. What I typed above is not an absolute, it is just a guess on my part.

The Hall Monitors are making a huge difference. It's not perfect, as nothing in this world is, but I certain don't hit the report button as often as I did. It's nice that I can quest and help my friends again, and when I can, I stop in the different public areas of the Spiral and do what I need to do to help keep it safe and clean for everyone.

Survivor
Jan 29, 2010
I have no problem with Hall Monitors. I just hope that they do consider the entirety of the text and not just go by a certain word. When I explain to people why the person aka my husband does not react quickly, I tell them that he had an aortic dissection which caused him to have strokes. Now, Strokes is a word that is considered to be a bad word but not in the context that I am giving. I could say bi-lateral infarctions but most people have no idea what that means, so I use the term most people do know, Stroke.

Defender
Aug 07, 2011
The longer this program runs the less efficient it is. I think KI would do far better and be far more efficient with less chance of abuse of power if they hired paid moderators and had them work varying shifts so they could cover 24/7. A dozen paid moderators could probably cover it by hopping realms. Possibly set up some kind of computer program, if possible (I've no idea if it is or not), so they can respond to player reports and go check out the situation. They could do the same thing, it wouldn't be that expensive and they would have supervisors aka senior wizards checking up on their performance. A company doing as well as KI is surely could afford this without really raising the prices. Maybe raise a few crown shop items aka the luxuries. No need to raise memberships or area pricing.

Just seems to be less and less coverage from these volunteers as time goes by. Like they were gung ho at first but their enthusiasm has (understandably given the abuse they endure) waned. A paid moderator would be motivated by having and keeping the job and their salary and whatever benefits. Plus they'd be assigned shifts by the company and it wouldn't be willy-nilly here and there as a volunteer hall monitor finds the time and inclination. There'd still be mistakes but they would probably be more careful and KI could possibly give them means to be more precise maybe by having them warn or mute from the chat logs rather than in game. However, I would want them also having visuals and the ability to warn and ban those using emotes in a lewd way. They'd also be more apt to look at the context as the person above points out with the word strokes. (Empathy to your husband. I'm got an aortic aneurysm that I'm hoping doesn't grow. Right now, it's too small to do such harm.)

It would also be nice if KI would share what else they are working on to aid safety in the spiral. IP bans, menu chat for F2P, making the emotes only useable when at least a certain distance from any other wizard (i.e, arm's length), anything? Anything at all other than this system that's not working out too well?

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Talania wrote:
I have no problem with Hall Monitors. I just hope that they do consider the entirety of the text and not just go by a certain word. When I explain to people why the person aka my husband does not react quickly, I tell them that he had an aortic dissection which caused him to have strokes. Now, Strokes is a word that is considered to be a bad word but not in the context that I am giving. I could say bi-lateral infarctions but most people have no idea what that means, so I use the term most people do know, Stroke.

My husband has had this also - the game has been very good therapy for him actually. He also has had negative reactions from others in the game and is very shy now on playing solo with out bringing his attack dog - me - along with him. Even though we are very careful to pick quite realms and we only battle together we can not avoid contact now and then with others. I do not bother to explain his condition, not only none of their business but reality is not every one plays perfectly - rather I make it quite clear that this is how we play the game and I suggest they leave "our" fight if it is not going they way they like it, if they don't apologize they do flee.

It is not like I am not used to this though, prior to him joining us playing Wizards I helped mom every night and she has uncontrollable shakes. Lets just say I could really use the 3 person mount to get these guys though the Spiral because we fight a lot of drag in battles but we did complete Avalon the other night and were all so proud of our selves - our little rag tag team. This is after I had a spat with an Ice wizard that wished us well getting killed in the Pendragon event because we wouldn't take him "a tank" with us, after me saying "oh ok tnx" he ported away - he didn't even have the event quest yet so he would not have been able to join us anyway but evidently wanted to fight me.

Mary StarGem
"Savior of the Spiral"

Defender
Aug 07, 2011
brwac wrote:
Talania wrote:

My husband has had this also - the game has been very good therapy for him actually. He also has had negative reactions from others in the game and is very shy now on playing solo with out bringing his attack dog - me - along with him. Even though we are very careful to pick quite realms and we only battle together we can not avoid contact now and then with others. I do not bother to explain his condition, not only none of their business but reality is not every one plays perfectly - rather I make it quite clear that this is how we play the game and I suggest they leave "our" fight if it is not going they way they like it, if they don't apologize they do flee.

It is not like I am not used to this though, prior to him joining us playing Wizards I helped mom every night and she has uncontrollable shakes. Lets just say I could really use the 3 person mount to get these guys though the Spiral because we fight a lot of drag in battles but we did complete Avalon the other night and were all so proud of our selves - our little rag tag team. This is after I had a spat with an Ice wizard that wished us well getting killed in the Pendragon event because we wouldn't take him "a tank" with us, after me saying "oh ok tnx" he ported away - he didn't even have the event quest yet so he would not have been able to join us anyway but evidently wanted to fight me.

Mary StarGem
"Savior of the Spiral"

It's good to know that if I do have to have a heart operation (I also have a leaky heart valve) or if the aneurysm grows and has to be operated on, I'll hopefully still be able to play. I think the game is very therapeutic even if I haven't yet had a stroke or heart attack (crosses fingers, keeps cardiologist appointments). I'm disabled enough to not be able to run around and do a lot (heck, I can't even climb stairs due to severe arthritis that has me on a rolling walker) but not so much I'm just too tired and weak to care. This game keeps me from being bored out of my skull and isolated even though I'm a solo player. I discuss it in these forums (here and Central) and on FB and have made a lot of great friends.

I think that is exactly right. You don't like how someone is playing, don't join their battle. I hate when people criticize your game play. Disabilities aside, everyone has their own style and what's the right way to fight for some may not be for others. For some reason, for instance, I don't bother with shields though I trap and blade. I look for good resist in gear and don't waste a turn shielding except on my Ice with her tower shield. But that's me. Obviously many wizards do shield themselves and I'd never fault them for it and well thank them if they shield me. Everyone has to play their way. And if you're a shielder and you shield me, that's just plain nice and thank you very much. :D

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Talania wrote:

As with player-initiated reports, context is everything. The word stroke is a yellow word, not red~ that means it's allowed in open (18+) chat and is not sanctionable when used appropriately. Unfortunately, the word also carries a lewd connotation, hence why it's not allowed in text chat; any word that shows up red is not allowed in text or open chat, and changing a red word to make it yellow is still a reportable offense.

I hope this clears things up for you!

Cheers,
-veebz

Survivor
Aug 01, 2012
@brwac, Your story was inspiring. Congratulations to your team for your Avalon success. And props to you for what you have given your husband and mom.

Iridian Stormheart

ps what did it mean when you said the ice wizard wanted you to take him "a tank" with you?

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
tourmalinequeen wrote:
@brwac, Your story was inspiring. Congratulations to your team for your Avalon success. And props to you for what you have given your husband and mom.

Iridian Stormheart

ps what did it mean when you said the ice wizard wanted you to take him "a tank" with you?

My encounter was with an Ice wizard and he actually wanted us to help him with Morgrathe battle - when I explained to him that we were just trying to get past the PenDragon battle he started to get a bit snotty, in the end after a few back and forths with him he stated we were going to be defeated because we weren't taking in the tank - which apparently was him, I said "ok tnx" and he ported away.

In the end it was my fault I was discussing with mom how she had to set up 2 decks again, one for mobs one for boss and what cards she needed in it so others in the common area knew we were headed there.

Truly we did much better then expected and I had to walk back in the beginning because I started with wrong deck, I spent so much time getting them set right I forgot to switch my deck back to mob fights one.

Survivor
Oct 29, 2011
How does one become a hall monitor, have reported a few times in pass I am a Mom with family playing