Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hall Monitors!

AuthorMessage
Armiger
May 10, 2010
First of all, I want to thank everyone at KingsIsle for finally stepping up and creating "Hall Monitors"

You are truly keeping this game kid and family friendly and I am very proud to be a member of this game and soon the Pirate101 game.

You have very great products and both games are truly Amazing!!!

You do care about your customers and quality of your products and I dont think there is a better place for people to feel safe and have a friendly enviornment to play and have fun in than the spiral.

Thank you for everything KI and keep up the great work!

Defender
Mar 10, 2012
Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
I am in total agreement with you. Hall Monitors will be a welcome relief from the many spammers, cursers, etc. that seem to have readily populated the game.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
Yea it is about time they get player moderators in the game. Though I think it would be a better idea to have it so players know who is a moderator. The reason I say this is instead of just banning people you are able to keep them in line. The goal of a moderator is not to ban people but rather to keep the game clean. People aren't going to swear around a moderator which will keep the game clean.

Just a thought.

Survivor
Dec 29, 2009
whoops i hit wrong button i hit quote sry for that though um why would the hall moditor warn him for no reason darthjt i hope the people who are hall moditors dont mute or warn peopel for fun its a rule! only warn or or mute when bad things i just sad kingisle needs to watch out who they pick i mean it darthjt today at dye shop people getting warned and muted for no reason :( i am so sad and sad for the people and the guy who was warned and he dared a guy who was not a hall moditor and he was warned darthjt dont you think they have to watch who they pick its a rule! again! only mute and warn when bad things happen!

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
No it's not a good thing, I support keep this game safe however it destroys privacy, I don't like it at all, I've seen protesting at commons, pvp arena, and pet pavilions. I would like Kingsisle to bring it back the old way, if you go around the commons or anywhere cursing mute them however if they're privately doing it with friends all adults, then they should as long as it isn't inferring with younger kids, which in most cases it isn't

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
I agree with Darthjt, this is a wonderful thing to see, that you heard our voices and have implemented something to help further clean up our beloved game. Thank you KI, my daughter and I are committed W101 players and will soon be committed P101 players and we feel the future looks bright for both games! Thank you for stepping up and making it a truly safe and friendly game!

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you KI.

I saw this in action this evening in the game and I am so glad you came up with the "Hall Monitors". This most definitely says you do hear your customers.

I will feel much better now when my grandson and great nephew are back to playing. I am sure that many others will feel the same way.

Great Job.

Survivor
Mar 13, 2011
I agree with everything you said! Players often forget that, when they hit the "Play" button, they join a kid-friendly game and they have to behave. I am very happy with KI, they actually took note of what we have to say. I love this game and I love it because it's different, in a good way. Hall Monitors is a genius idea,in my opinion, people will think twice before they decide to ignore the rules. I mean, just have fun, complete quests,make friends! That's what Wizard101 is all about :)

Have fun exploring the Spiral! (Oh, I can't wait for Pirates101!) :D

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
darthjt wrote:
First of all, I want to thank everyone at KingsIsle for finally stepping up and creating "Hall Monitors"

You are truly keeping this game kid and family friendly and I am very proud to be a member of this game and soon the Pirate101 game.

You have very great products and both games are truly Amazing!!!

You do care about your customers and quality of your products and I dont think there is a better place for people to feel safe and have a friendly enviornment to play and have fun in than the spiral.

Thank you for everything KI and keep up the great work!

I sometimes think you have missed your calling in life. You have a very distinct pattern in the way you gush praise upon KI. It's almost a commercial for recruitment of members. Let me be clear though: Nothing is wrong with your praise, it just strikes me as always so 'over-the-top". You would do well in advertising,or perhaps you already are. :D

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Thank you, thank you, thank you KI and Hall Monitors! This is just wonderful. I love the pop up messages, saw those in action last night. It reminded me of getting in trouble in Elementary School in front of the whole class. Those experiences taught me a lot and quickly.

I think some people are misunderstanding Hall Monitors and their "powers". Hall Monitors may only mute and warn people. KI staff will review their reports/actions and decide if more sanctions are necessary and what they will be.

I have total faith in KI's choices for these positions.

I foresee the Spiral becoming its old fun and peaceful place agian in short order.

Megan

Armiger
May 10, 2010
First of all, let me say, that we should trusts KI in their selection process of the Hall Monitors.

Secondly, let me calm some of you and reassure you, that the Dark One, aka DarthJT did not make the Grade.

While I may have a following and some people on the message boards respect me, others loathe me. I was not offered a position as a hall monitor.

Because I was not asked, I know that KI is taking this seriously and not taking this position lightly as some of you might think. They are very serious when it comes to trusting and asking someone to be a Hall Monitor and that person must have honor, integrity, and many other great qualities.

For those of you that think that people will be warned and muted for no reason, I ask that you read the terms of use and code of conduct again.

I have no doubts that KI has given guidelines to these Hall Monitors and prepared them for what is an acceptable warning/mute.

We should all have faith in KI, as they have created 2 games now that are truly epic. As for me praising KI, I give them their due, but as some very well know, I have taken it to them too, when they have done us wrong, although those times are few and far between.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I dont get it, are hall monitors admins or mods?.

Conno, it really does not matter if they are Admins or Mods. They are taking up what the WCP and a few other groups started.

Yea it is about time they get player moderators in the game. Though I think it would be a better idea to have it so players know who is a moderator. The reason I say this is instead of just banning people you are able to keep them in line. The goal of a moderator is not to ban people but rather to keep the game clean. People aren't going to swear around a moderator which will keep the game clean.

Just a thought.

Snowyandspots, Please read the updates. Hall Monitors will not be Identified. The Goal of WCP and others was to help clean the game up as well and some of the WCP were attacked and KI knows this. So why would they place Hall Monitors in the same position. No, this was a very good move for KI to make.

No it's not a good thing, I support keep this game safe however it destroys privacy, I don't like it at all, I've seen protesting at commons, pvp arena, and pet pavilions. I would like Kingsisle to bring it back the old way, if you go around the commons or anywhere cursing mute them however if they're privately doing it with friends all adults, then they should as long as it isn't inferring with younger kids, which in most cases it isn't

Avatarkevin8, this is the best thing I have seen since KI gave us the report button. It does not matter how many Protest. KI is doing what needs to be done to clean the game up.... They also have every right to do this. Afterall, it is there "House", not anyone else's.

As for "Privacy", you may want to do a little research. Professor Greyrose stated in a post quite sometime ago that it does not matter if you are just talking (cursing) in text to yourself, in your home. If they decide to read the chat logs, and they do, they can and will still pass sanctions. Again, this is KI's home, Their rules.

So to those of you that don't like the idea of Hall Monitors, there are many more players that are more than happy to see this change. Hall Monitors do have the options to warn and or mute as they see it needed. We will not know who they are and that is the best part of the whole idea.

Again, thank you KI for this change. It is a very welcome one.

Survivor
Dec 29, 2009
today maybe it was ok i am not saying hall monitors was excatly a good idea it just yesterday it bothers me that they did that and i think someone agrees with me from my note yesterday hall monitors and over use there power ok but today its ok maybe one or to useless and i got false reported i was saying come at me hall monitor so it will prove my letter my earlier but i never ever got muted or warned here is my point i hope the hall monitors pay attention and dont mute or warn for useless things nobody ever did oh and someone did get muted today for no reason yesterday was wrose it needs to get better you know prysik man i hope no hall monitors warn and mute people for useless things they didnt do dont you agree prysik?

Survivor
Dec 29, 2009
scarpion18 wrote:
I am in total agreement with you. Hall Monitors will be a welcome relief from the many spammers, cursers, etc. that seem to have readily populated the game.

well its ok i am just sad why they mute and warn people i really protest the dye shop i just want the old wiz101 back :( it was more fun i may have been suspended for 3 days but i know when something is wrong when i see it hall monitors stop warn in and mute in people for no reason it makes me sad :(

Survivor
Dec 29, 2009
anstarx wrote:
I agree with everything you said! Players often forget that, when they hit the "Play" button, they join a kid-friendly game and they have to behave. I am very happy with KI, they actually took note of what we have to say. I love this game and I love it because it's different, in a good way. Hall Monitors is a genius idea,in my opinion, people will think twice before they decide to ignore the rules. I mean, just have fun, complete quests,make friends! That's what Wizard101 is all about :)

its no no fun in the dye shop dude i wish :( why dont ugh i am just saying make friend cplete quest and all that stuff just hall monitors are not that of a good idea i protest the dye shop because of hall monitors it used to be a very fun place to relax and talke to friends but its not all of ti isnt gone but hall monitors ruin it its a good idea but not of a very good one i am so so mad :x at the dye shop from yesterday it fun and safe just hall monitors need to watch who they warn and mute

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Though I think it would be a better idea to have it so players know who is a moderator.

No way. I've seen it in action when someone gets 'outted' as a reporter, and the players gang up on them, saying and doing the worst things. It's best to have the Hall Monitors 'unknown' for their protection.

i hope the people who are hall moditors dont mute or warn peopel for fun its a rule! only warn or or mute when bad things i just sad kingisle needs to watch out who they pick i mean it darthjt today at dye shop people getting warned and muted for no reason

KI uses a lot of care in picking the people they believe will be good at being Hall Monitors. Actions taken by Hall Monitors will be watched by senior wizards at KI. Plus, you don't know for sure WHY these people got warned or muted. There is a reason, you probably didn't catch what the offenders said or did. So, don't assume the HMs did it for 'no reason'.

It doesn't destroy privacy. Cursing, wherever it is in the game is AGAINST THE ToU. There's no privacy in the game. KI can monitor ANY chat anywhere in the game, including YOUR HOME. Privately cursing with all adults does not excuse the behavior. It's still not allowed no matter how you look at it.

Regarding the original post .... YAY Hall Monitors! I got to watch them in action last night, and it was awesome. Of course, the usual "Freedom of speech", and "reporters are lame" stuff was said, but it was fun to watch.

GO HALL MONITORS! :)

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
IDK. Maybe this is just me, but honestly, I think some of the newer updates are ruining the game. I'm a mother, and yes, if i'm playing with my kids, I'll ask someone to watch their language. Granted, I also do that offline, I have young kids, it kinda goes with the territory. But, with a few exceptions, ANYONE that i've asked to watch their language around my kids, HAS DONE IT. I think this is just being excessive. My kids play this game, because I enjoy it, yes they like it too, but mostly they like it cuz MOMMY plays it. So, while yes your trying to make the game even more kid friendly. You're also ruining it for adults. I'd rather more and more words keep being blocked, than some RANDOM PERSON being able to PERMANENT mute someone. I have news, if this game keeps going downhill and losing it's fun for adults as well. Then you're going to lose a LOT of customers. Because you have ppl like me, that pay for MULTIPLE accounts. And if I leave this game, not only will my kids not want to play it, but I won't be putting any money into the game. Not in Crowns OR subscriptions. The thing I've loved most about this game, FOR THE PAST 2.5 YEARS, has been that BOTH me AND my kids love the game. It's never been boring or too childish for adults, or too mature for young kids. But lately, the game is becoming too boring and too childish for my kids. I'd rather pay for a game that allows me to enjoy it, with AND without my kids.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
synner wrote:
IDK. Maybe this is just me, but honestly, I think some of the newer updates are ruining the game. I'm a mother, and yes, if i'm playing with my kids, I'll ask someone to watch their language. Granted, I also do that offline, I have young kids, it kinda goes with the territory. But, with a few exceptions, ANYONE that i've asked to watch their language around my kids, HAS DONE IT. I think this is just being excessive. My kids play this game, because I enjoy it, yes they like it too, but mostly they like it cuz MOMMY plays it. So, while yes your trying to make the game even more kid friendly.

You're also ruining it for adults. I'd rather more and more words keep being blocked, than some RANDOM PERSON being able to PERMANENT mute someone.

I have news, if this game keeps going downhill and losing it's fun for adults as well. Then you're going to lose a LOT of customers. Because you have ppl like me, that pay for MULTIPLE accounts. And if I leave this game, not only will my kids not want to play it, but I won't be putting any money into the game. Not in Crowns OR subscriptions.

The thing I've loved most about this game, FOR THE PAST 2.5 YEARS, has been that BOTH me AND my kids love the game. It's never been boring or too childish for adults, or too mature for young kids. But lately, the game is becoming too boring and too childish for my kids. I'd rather pay for a game that allows me to enjoy it, with AND without my kids.

I am really sorry you feel that this new update is excessive. I am an adult and also a Founding member of the WCP. Many of our members are adults but we also have some that are teens to tweens. In MY opinion, this the best thing that has happened to this game since the "Report" button was added.

Yes, I am sure you have been able to ask some players to watch their language and I have too, but that does not make a dent in what we have seen.

We don't agree that this is ruining the game for Adults or for young kids for that matter. It will let the players know that KI is now visibly making a stand to keep this game safe. For that we as WCP members and many others thank KI. This will help HEAL the game of the infectious foul language that has become so abusive that the game was no longer fun to be in.

KI can not continue to adds word to the block list without eventually shuting down chat altogether. As a paying member, I really do not want to see this happen.

As for a "Random" person being able to permanently mute another, that is not the case. The Hall Monitors do have the ability to mute any player for breaking the rules, BUT, if you had read the update notes, you would also know that Senior Staff Wizards will be reviewing those mutes and if necessary stricter sanctions.

It is possible that KI may lose a few customers, but the difference is and will be that the accounts of some young wizards will be reactivated and some of those that have left because of the foul language may just decide to return. So either way, KI is not going to lose. If anything, their revenue just might go up since other parents will be seeing and hearing about the changes being made to keep the game safe.

I honestly can not fathom why a parent would threaten to quit a game that is cleaner and safer now than it has been in a long time. The whole point is, you will never see a Hall Monitor standing over your shoulder watching every letter you type.

As many of my friends would say "Cudos" to KI. Well done.

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
Thank you very much KI, we definitely needed the Hall Monitors. There will be many that cry foul and that the the HM are muting for no reason, just as they claimed they were reported for no reason in the past. However, your dedication to your product has always shown attention to detail. I have faith that you have chosen wisely, and educated those you have chosen so that they do their job appropriately.

I wonder perhaps if many people fail to understand what cursing is. It is so prevalent in our society and heard in so many homes, that many people no longer think of some words as cursing. Yet they are still curse words and should remain so. People should not assume that someone was reported for no reason simply because they are used to hearing those words. Ignorance does not make them acceptable.

Thank you again KI, for hearing the plea of your customers. Many of us look forward to many happy hours playing Wizard101 again and the coming Pirate101 as well.

Survivor
Mar 13, 2011
synner wrote:
IDK. Maybe this is just me, but honestly, I think some of the newer updates are ruining the game. I'm a mother, and yes, if i'm playing with my kids, I'll ask someone to watch their language. Granted, I also do that offline, I have young kids, it kinda goes with the territory. But, with a few exceptions, ANYONE that i've asked to watch their language around my kids, HAS DONE IT. I think this is just being excessive. My kids play this game, because I enjoy it, yes they like it too, but mostly they like it cuz MOMMY plays it. So, while yes your trying to make the game even more kid friendly. You're also ruining it for adults. I'd rather more and more words keep being blocked, than some RANDOM PERSON being able to PERMANENT mute someone. I have news, if this game keeps going downhill and losing it's fun for adults as well. Then you're going to lose a LOT of customers. Because you have ppl like me, that pay for MULTIPLE accounts. And if I leave this game, not only will my kids not want to play it, but I won't be putting any money into the game. Not in Crowns OR subscriptions. The thing I've loved most about this game, FOR THE PAST 2.5 YEARS, has been that BOTH me AND my kids love the game. It's never been boring or too childish for adults, or too mature for young kids. But lately, the game is becoming too boring and too childish for my kids. I'd rather pay for a game that allows me to enjoy it, with AND without my kids.

Well, if you don't violate any rules why would you be afraid to be muted? I'm sure they don't go around reporting everyone. My niece plays the game too as well as her father. We are both adults and we find that the newest update will help. We never swear and we understand that wizard101 is not an game designed for adults. I find that the game is exactly the same for me as it used to be, it's not boring. If you haven't done anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about! :)

Survivor
Mar 13, 2011
drago622 wrote:
anstarx wrote:

its no no fun in the dye shop dude i wish :( why dont ugh i am just saying make friend cplete quest and all that stuff just hall monitors are not that of a good idea i protest the dye shop because of hall monitors it used to be a very fun place to relax and talke to friends but its not all of ti isnt gone but hall monitors ruin it its a good idea but not of a very good one i am so so mad :x at the dye shop from yesterday it fun and safe just hall monitors need to watch who they warn and mute

I am sure they do know who to warn or mute. They can't ban you and if you haven't done something wrong I think KI will review the report or warning and decide whether or not the one who warned or muted you was right! I think it's the same thing as a normal report. If you didn't do anything then nothing will happen to your wizard. :)

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
By privacy i didn't mean you can go around saying inappropriate things, and its not welcomed by most people, only parents here are praising it however when you look at it which group profits this game more?, parents or kids that don't even have open chat or the opposing group and we do pay for this game?, and and we buy the things we have and most of the times mute happen to people using words that are yellow and not RED. I oppose to all forms of bad language and i personally don't like it but i think people should have the right to use words that are yellow since they're approved by kingsisle, HOWEVER we can't trust random people with this and that is the main reason i oppose it, i am a adult and i have kids in this game, i personally don't play it a lot however even with young kids i don't think this move is a right one to the problem

Survivor
Mar 13, 2011
By privacy i didn't mean you can go around saying inappropriate things, and its not welcomed by most people, only parents here are praising it however when you look at it which group profits this game more?, parents or kids that don't even have open chat or the opposing group and we do pay for this game?, and and we buy the things we have and most of the times mute happen to people using words that are yellow and not RED. I oppose to all forms of bad language and i personally don't like it but i think people should have the right to use words that are yellow since they're approved by kingsisle, HOWEVER we can't trust random people with this and that is the main reason i oppose it, i am a adult and i have kids in this game, i personally don't play it a lot however even with young kids i don't think this move is a right one to the problem

It's against the rules to play around the filters and that's how it was in the past and it will always be (hopefully). End of story. Hall monitors change nothing in the rules. They just provide some help when it comes to reporting. If you do something reportable you will be banned or muted with or without Hall Monitors. By other players of course. It's not only the kids that hate swearing. I have open chat and I hate seeing people swear all over the Spiral. So I don't think every person who is an adult agrees with you.

Have fun in the game!

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010

LOL Your post cracked me up. Sorry I have a quirky sense of humor. Kids thinking this is not a good idea says to me it is the perfect solution. Of course they don't like it. Now they have to follow the rules and suffer the consequences of their actions.

I have no doubt KI has clearly stated to the Hall Monitors what they can and cannot report. If the Hall Monitor makes a mistake I am sure they are held responsible for their error. With the powers they have I suspect more responsible than the rest of us.

Read the update notes and this thread https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/53732.ftl

The Hall Monitors are NOT random people. They are hand picked by KI.

Megan