Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

40,000 Crowns and no Mount?????

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Apr 15, 2012
I have a major issue that I have been keeping to myself for quite some time.
I have spent over 40,000 crowns on the Wyvern's Hoard Pack. That is not counting the thousands upon thousands of crowns I have spent on other hoard packs.

So in estimation, I have spent close to 100,000 crowns, if not more, on trying to get one of the special mounts that come in these packs. I see people in Wizard City running around on these mounts all of the time. Yet with all of the money I have contributed to your game and all of the tens upon thousands of crowns I have spent on the hoard packs for a mount, I have yet to receive any mount at all. I absolutely disagree with the fairness of this situation. I understand that the mounts are rare and blah blah blah. But I have spent about 100,000 crowns on the Hoard packs alone.

I honestly think that I should be awarded a mount. I do not think that my inability to receive a mount is fair on ANY level at all. I there are a thousand other things I could have spent all of those crowns on.
I personally think that I should be awarded a mount of my choice considering the amount of money I have spent on the game just trying to get one of these mounts.

Out of approximately 100,000 crowns of Hoard Pack items, I have received mostly trees, a few useless pets, and a few clothing items I either dislike or cannot use based on the useless stats. Again, I personally think that this subject should be looked into considering the fairness factor. If I had it my way, I would be given all of my crowns back or a refund for the crowns I have spent trying for one of these mounts.

Again, I understand that these mounts are rare and hard to get, but I have spent about 100,000 crowns on these packs. And these packs go for 399 crowns a pack. You do the math. I absolutely should have gotten one by now.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
All said and done young wizard, you choose to spend those crowns on a chance to get a mount. KI states these packs are chance to get certain items out of them. Once you redeem these packs for crowns the money is gone - there is no refund or credit given for items you did not get.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
So stop spending money and you won't be disappointed. You stated your self that mounts are rare...categorically considered "ultra rare," so there shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

Survivor
Jan 21, 2012
It's unlucky that you haven't received a mount, but I don't think you should be awarded a mount just because you spent a lot of crowns. I bought 153 Hydra hoard packs (at 399 crowns per pack that equates to 61047 crowns) just to try and get the Hydra mount. I have attempted to get the various mounts from the other packs too (in total I believe I would have easily spent over 500,000 crowns on hoard/lore packs alone) and the Hydra and Dragon wings are the only mounts I have received. It's luck pure and simple.

If KI were to return your crowns to you (lets face it, they're probably not going to) where would they draw the line? Would that mean someone who bought 5 Crown houses should get all the other houses in the crown store free? If I bought 20 packs but didn't get what I wanted, should I be entitled to a refund?

This is purely a case of buyer beware. You say yourself you were aware of how rare it is to get the mounts, so why get upset when you haven't received one yet. There a lots of people in the same boat (I myself being one of them) but you were aware of the risks when spending the crowns.

I do hope your luck gets a bit better for you though.

Morgrim

Explorer
Apr 20, 2009
Well if you're that desperate to get a mount you could have just bought one from the crowns shop instead of farming packs. It's not like hoard pack mounts go faster, or give you special abilities or anything and with the exception of the Blood Raven and Hydra mount, the pack mounts are only one person like most of the crowns shop mounts. You could have gotten 3, 4, 5, or even 6 normal permanent crowns shop mounts instead of spending all your crowns on packs. And like everyone else says, it's a CHANCE

And don't feel bad, there's always someone who's worse off than you in gambling with the packs

Explorer
Apr 15, 2012
brwac wrote:
All said and done young wizard, you choose to spend those crowns on a chance to get a mount. KI states these packs are chance to get certain items out of them. Once you redeem these packs for crowns the money is gone - there is no refund or credit given for items you did not get.

Try reading my post again. It is clear that you misunderstood.

Delver
Jan 13, 2010
Corathus wrote:
I have spent over 40,000 crowns on the Wyvern's Hoard Pack. That is not counting the thousands upon thousands of crowns I have spent on other hoard packs.

So in estimation, I have spent close to 100,000 crowns, if not more, on trying to get one of the special mounts that come in these packs. I see people in Wizard City running around on these mounts all of the time. Yet with all of the money I have contributed to your game and all of the tens upon thousands of crowns I have spent on the hoard packs for a mount, I have yet to receive any mount at all. I absolutely disagree with the fairness of this situation. I understand that the mounts are rare and blah blah blah. But I have spent about 100,000 crowns on the Hoard packs alone.

I honestly think that I should be awarded a mount. I do not think that my inability to receive a mount is fair on ANY level at all. I there are a thousand other things I could have spent all of those crowns on.
I personally think that I should be awarded a mount of my choice considering the amount of money I have spent on the game just trying to get one of these mounts.

Out of approximately 100,000 crowns of Hoard Pack items, I have received mostly trees, a few useless pets, and a few clothing items I either dislike or cannot use based on the useless stats. Again, I personally think that this subject should be looked into considering the fairness factor. If I had it my way, I would be given all of my crowns back or a refund for the crowns I have spent trying for one of these mounts.

Again, I understand that these mounts are rare and hard to get, but I have spent about 100,000 crowns on these packs. And these packs go for 399 crowns a pack. You do the math. I absolutely should have gotten one by now.

Your fault, why did you want to do that. Just because you desperatley wanted that mount, doesnt mean you will get it. I wanted that chimera pet and i still havent got it. I keep trying and trying, but in your matter, you use it on other stuff, instead of complaining!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Whether you spent 1000 crowns or 100,000, you only ever had a slim chance at the mount; you are made aware of this before purchasing, so KI certainly won't give you one as a consolation-prize.

Mounts in packs are classed as Ultra Rare, meaning that the likelihood of you getting one is less than 5%. On top of that, your odds reset each time you buy one~ if odds are 1/100, for example, that doesn't mean you'll get one mount for every 100 packs you buy.

Fortunately, most of the packs have been good to me... except that Raven's Hoard one, since the elusive Blood Raven still hasn't appeared, and I've been trying for a year (though I haven't come close to spending 100,000 crowns on them)... Who knows? Perhaps we'll both get lucky, sooner or later!

Still searching for my blood raven,
-veebz

Delver
Jul 09, 2009
It was you're choice to continue wasting crowns on that hoard. It's you're fault that you don't have self control. Despite how hard it is to resist buying because their so awesome and superb.
-.-" You chose to buy them, I personally would of stopped after 6 hoards. Not to mention all the stuff you've obtained from the hoards is probably way over 40,000 crowns. The hoards are worth more than their prices.

Aaron Drakewalker Archmage Pyromancer

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
Corathus wrote:

the packs despite all chances are random
chance is a random value

you may get 1 in 1 pack
or none for any pack you buy in your life ( the bad part of luck you may never hit the desired result)

personally i am born with a lucky streak of luck
but i personally gave up on the stuborn wyverns
yet one time i got 3 hydras using a crown spree of 60$ exactly
luck isnt something you can control with set numbers
for every correct head there is a incorrect tail

get what i am saying?

Survivor
Jul 07, 2012
I know how you feel, i dont know how much i have spent on wyvern packs to not get one. That and the skeleton dragon mount. I have gotten at least two of every other mount and i cant even remember how many fairy wings i got, hate those things. But know your not alone in this feeling. I keep on buying hoping to get one of those two i still desire, but as we all know its luck of the draw.
I did get one finnaly on test server kinda made me happy just to get it. So good luck to you in the future. I am sure one day you will get one.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2010
I feel ya. And while I understand that I am opting for a "Chance" To get that darn Hydra Mount. It is still very frustrating to get soooo much of the common stuff and not the item you want. I know I've spent at least $60.00 so far to get that mount. Yes Everyone I know that was my choice, I'm just saying I understand why they're upset about it. It sucks but that is the risk you take I guess.

Mastermind
Dec 11, 2011
You spent 40,000 crowns on a mount(that you didn't get)? I almost cried from laughing so hard. Should of just bought something with gold and wouldn't have this problem sonny. Or even a mount already in the shop. Wow.

-Gtafreak101

Defender
May 19, 2012
Personally, I spent approximately $60 to get the hydra mount. While I disagree that you should be refunded any money, because you made the choice to purchase the packs, I also agree that is a ridiculous amount of money to spend and not get the mount. You can purchase mounts in the crown shop for $20, or spend $60+ on packs, and not even end up with the mount at all. Sorry, but I think that's a bit far fetched and uncalled for, chance, or no chance.

Truthfully, I think the rate at which these mounts drop from packs should be increased, as there is a ratio applied to each and every item in these packs...something that many people may not realize. As long as people are willing to 'throw' their money away on these packs, though, KI is going to just ignore this request to change the ratio at which the mounts drop. They pull in an insane amount of money on these pack purchases, because people just 'have to have' that insanely low drop rate item. I'm willing to bet that since these packs have been created, that 9/10 th's of KI's profit comes from these packs. (Don't tell me they aren't making money, because they are.)

I still would like to see ALL themes (scrolls) and other 'garbage' removed from these packs. I don't like spending my real money on 'trash'. All one day mounts should be removed as well, as they are totally useless to most people purchasing these packs. When I get a one day mount, I only feel that I was 'cheated' out of an item, as I don't even count them as one of the seven items that you get since they are absolutely useless to me. Until the garbage is removed and the one day mounts are non-existent in these packs, the price of these packs is absurdly high, in my opinion.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
op has never played a trading card game.

in real life people by packs of card to play a game. Each pack has a rare. the one rare is from a pool of rares, some of these rares are more common than others.

We card game players buy the packs for these ultra rare cards. However, most often we only get a regular rare, or worse we get a rare card that can only be used in a single situation and is so has as much value as a common card.

These card packs sell for about four dollars apiece. rare cards can be sold from anywhere from $2.00 to $15.00 the truely rare cards can fetch as much as twenty five dollars. Heaven help you if you want a foil coated ultra rare card, because those can fetch fifty dollars easily!

The advantage to real life is that trading card game players can buy or barter the rare and ultra rare cards from a third party.

I suppose KI could sell the ultra rare and epic rare items separately.... but they would sell at a substantial markup. You saw in my example how ultra rare cards sold for three times the price of a pack, and special ultra rare sold for six and even twelve times the price of a pack.

Oddly none of us write angry letters to the card company stating how much money we have spent and demanding a specific card... maybe because these cards are physical objects?? Also if everyone had a copy it the card would no longer be worth anything because everyone would have one. "I have an ultimate power sword! So? We all have one, who cares?"

Mastermind
May 31, 2009
I know how you feel. I myself have spent a LOT of crowns on these packs only to walk away empty handed. I put 60,000 into the krin packs and weeks later I put about or close to 200,000 crowns.
I wanted a mount, but I also wanted to see how fairly they drop. I found my answer. after 260 thousand crowns or very close to that I still have nothing.
I feel like the game must have removed the mounts from the Krin pack. When I first tried for the mounts within 60,000 crowns I could get one. Now, no matter how much you put in you come out empty.
Personally I think the mounts should be in a pack for so long then be sold for crowns and pack elimated.
I guess I should just be happy with the mounts i did get, cause it is too expensive to try for any more. I have put my last crown in a pack of any kind.

Mastermind
May 31, 2009
Well, I learned, I just wanted to know how far it would go and it went to the sum of 260,000 crowns and nothing. So Game doesnt need to be concerned about me not getting anything, they need to be concerned if I will buy crowns again.
I decided that nothing is worth just pouring money into it. So in future the crowns I have will be used for Henchmen and maybe clothes if I need. Ki may not care to increase the drop rate but they lose crown buyers.
I am not ashamed that my finances allow me to put 300 dollars into this game each month if I want, But with this type experience I have to look it over and make a decison. I cant see investing in something that gives no return.
Play the game and stop the use of crowns.

Defender
May 19, 2012
zebulous wrote:
op has never played a trading card game.

in real life people by packs of card to play a game. Each pack has a rare. the one rare is from a pool of rares, some of these rares are more common than others.

We card game players buy the packs for these ultra rare cards. However, most often we only get a regular rare, or worse we get a rare card that can only be used in a single situation and is so has as much value as a common card.

These card packs sell for about four dollars apiece. rare cards can be sold from anywhere from $2.00 to $15.00 the truely rare cards can fetch as much as twenty five dollars. Heaven help you if you want a foil coated ultra rare card, because those can fetch fifty dollars easily!

The advantage to real life is that trading card game players can buy or barter the rare and ultra rare cards from a third party.

I suppose KI could sell the ultra rare and epic rare items separately.... but they would sell at a substantial markup. You saw in my example how ultra rare cards sold for three times the price of a pack, and special ultra rare sold for six and even twelve times the price of a pack.

Oddly none of us write angry letters to the card company stating how much money we have spent and demanding a specific card... maybe because these cards are physical objects?? Also if everyone had a copy it the card would no longer be worth anything because everyone would have one. "I have an ultimate power sword! So? We all have one, who cares?"

There is a huge difference between an actual 'physical' card and a virtual card, and that difference is 'insurance'. Any physical item of value that you own can be covered under your homeowners or renters insurance. Virtual items cannot be insured in any way shape or form. This game could go under tomorrow and all the real cash people have spent to purchase these virtual items basically just fizzles away in an instant. There is no coverage for these virtual items. You have just lost everything in a single blow and have absolutely nothing to show for it. I would only condone the high price of these virtual items, if they could be covered in the same manner your physical items can. Otherwise, I think $10, $15, $20, let alone $60 for a single virtual item is ridiculously expensive and totally uncalled for. This is not a card game, it's a virtual card game. Huge difference! :)

Survivor
Oct 05, 2012
Delver
Jul 15, 2011
I spend crowns a lot and go through a lot of junk to get particular drops from packs. I've found that switching areas sometimes yields better results. it could be coincidence of course, but when I was buying nightmare packs, I was able to get a mount after switching to a different house. Also, you should try and set a limit on yourself. Instead of spending 40,000 crowns all at once, spread it out. It probably won't change the results, but you won't feel like you just blew through that many crowns all at once.

I wonder though, after spending the first ten thousand and not getting the mount, why didn't you just buy a mount from the crown shop instead? Some of those are rarely ever seen or used. I see a ton of the pack mounts everywhere, but aside from the lions, tigers, and panthers, I see very few of the other crown shop mounts in use. Be daring and different and buy an ostrich or a sea horse.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
I have an idea , seeing how everyone including me complains about packs drop rates being low and everyone gets on here arguing about chance or saying you spent that much or whatever they want to gripe about.

How about KI giving a quest for all the ultra rare drops so people can do a hard quest to get awarded these ultra rare items.

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
Lastdaysgunslinger, that's a nice idea, but kind of defeats the point of crown items and card packs. If there were quests for these things, what reason would anyone have to buy crowns and horde packs? KingsIsle makes most of their money on crowns sales I think as their subscription prices are very low for a MMO. The rarity of the gear, mounts, and pets from the horde packs encourages people to buy more and spend more money which keeps this game going. These epic drops from the horde packs are the carrots on the stick.

Explorer
Aug 19, 2010
When you buy a pack that means you have a CHANCE at getting a mount. When you buy a pack the items you get random items. So if your sad that you didn't get a mount just buy one in the crown shop.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2010
Eric Crowspear on Sep 3, 2012 wrote:
You spent 40,000 crowns on a mount(that you didn't get)? I almost cried from laughing so hard. Should of just bought something with gold and wouldn't have this problem sonny. Or even a mount already in the shop. Wow.

-Gtafreak101
Okay, that's just kind of mean. They are just angry about why they didn't get it. And also, there are mounts in that pack that you can't get just in the crown shop OR gold shop.

Ignore the guy above, he's just being mean.
But I agree with you, that is kinda annoying.
I spent over 60 dollars in around 3 months and I was doing the dragon hoard pack + wyvren hoard pack, or something else, and I didn't get a wyvren. Darn it. So yeah, I understand it.

Survivor
Oct 27, 2012
I feel sorry for you.Like others said mounts are very rare espically Perament i have only got ones that only last one day.These are rare and i do kind of think you should deserve something maybe. I think that those packs should be filled with better items instead of seeds and the usual junk we don't want.Luckily i do share a little luck of my own i bought a pack and on the very first one i got a Ianthine Spectre worth over 9001 in the crown shop and just now i got a chimera but i just feel sorry for you.....