Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Death School IS Over Powered (OP)

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 27, 2011
I find that each school has a strength and a weakness to compliment the strength. However, I have found recently that the Death school is too much over powered. While the death students can cast their bubble wall so that all healing is minus 50% while they attack to get health, there are things happening in the background that makes the death school unfair. The bubble to do minus 50% on health is fair; it is the strength of death.

However, I do not find it fair that a fire student can use Efreet on a death student in a 1 vs. 1 battle, and the death student bypasses the -90% weakness. What am I talking about? Efreet's weakness is supposed to help the fire student. But instead, the fire student just hands over something to a death student to use to their advantage. That is not fair. You may be asking yourselves how this weakness ends up helping the death student. Simple as this: They use the spell "Sacrifice". By using this spell, the weakness is used on themselves then they get the health. In turn, they end up gaining more health than originally intended. If death school is allowed to bypass the absorb shields (life absorbs shields) and attack while getting health, then they should also not be allowed to use Efreet's weakness to their advantage. This makes it near impossible for a pyromancer to defeat a necromancer. In this aspect, death school is too strong, especially against fire. Aren't all school supposed to have an equal chance of winning if done correctly? However a spell meant to help pyromancers ends up providing help to Necromancers. And I still don't think it is fair that attacking spells that give back health don't work on absorb, but I am willing to let that issue go. I just think also allowing them to us Efreet's weakness to their advantage is taking it too far.

While I am at it reporting what I think are glitches... anyone who has Sun Palace, I have a question for you. When entering the home through the back from where the arena is, are you sometimes not able to open the door to go in? I find that if I enter the Sun Palace through the back sometimes (not entering through front before hand) and sometimes go to see Giant Gorilla through the ladder, I get back and the option to press "X" to open door does not appear, which forces me to leave the house and walk all the way around to other side to get into the main part of the home through the front.

Just some of my thoughts and ideas I have come up with. My main concern is that death school has more of an advantage over other schools. Especially when it comes to a fire spell (meant to help fire caster) actually helps the opponent. That is WAY worse than "Steal Blade".

Seth NightFlame, Level 70 Pyromancer.

Defender
Mar 10, 2012
This is not a glitch or a bug, next time put it in the pvp section.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
DreamLucid wrote:
I find that each school has a strength and a weakness to compliment the strength. However, I have found recently that the Death school is too much over powered. While the death students can cast their bubble wall so that all healing is minus 50% while they attack to get health, there are things happening in the background that makes the death school unfair. The bubble to do minus 50% on health is fair; it is the strength of death.

However, I do not find it fair that a fire student can use Efreet on a death student in a 1 vs. 1 battle, and the death student bypasses the -90% weakness. What am I talking about? Efreet's weakness is supposed to help the fire student. But instead, the fire student just hands over something to a death student to use to their advantage. That is not fair. You may be asking yourselves how this weakness ends up helping the death student. Simple as this: They use the spell "Sacrifice". By using this spell, the weakness is used on themselves then they get the health. In turn, they end up gaining more health than originally intended. If death school is allowed to bypass the absorb shields (life absorbs shields) and attack while getting health, then they should also not be allowed to use Efreet's weakness to their advantage. This makes it near impossible for a pyromancer to defeat a necromancer. In this aspect, death school is too strong, especially against fire. Aren't all school supposed to have an equal chance of winning if done correctly? However a spell meant to help pyromancers ends up providing help to Necromancers. And I still don't think it is fair that attacking spells that give back health don't work on absorb, but I am willing to let that issue go. I just think also allowing them to us Efreet's weakness to their advantage is taking it too far.

While I am at it reporting what I think are glitches... anyone who has Sun Palace, I have a question for you. When entering the home through the back from where the arena is, are you sometimes not able to open the door to go in? I find that if I enter the Sun Palace through the back sometimes (not entering through front before hand) and sometimes go to see Giant Gorilla through the ladder, I get back and the option to press "X" to open door does not appear, which forces me to leave the house and walk all the way around to other side to get into the main part of the home through the front.

Just some of my thoughts and ideas I have come up with. My main concern is that death school has more of an advantage over other schools. Especially when it comes to a fire spell (meant to help fire caster) actually helps the opponent. That is WAY worse than "Steal Blade".

Death is actually one of the more disadvantaged schools in 1v1 PvP. It has no 4 pip AoE(although deer knight has helped a lot), its bubble is situational, it has an unstable and expensive minion, the enhancements are split between damage given and health and it's self hit spells(sacrifice, pact, juju) eat up its blades. As a fire school you should not be having too much trouble with death, Get your minion up and protect it, establish your bubble when attacking preserve their bubble when they are also low on health and use some of your more effective spells. Don't use and or time Efreet for when its most effective. Efreet is not your only spells you have a lot of great options for damage.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Since this is a PvP complaint (you mentioned 1v1), it belongs on the PvP board, with the other five trillion complaints about how every spell in the Spiral is overpowered.

Because you mentioned Death, let me ask you a question... When a Death wizard puts an Infection on you, can your pet not simply Sprite it off? And have you forgotten that most Death spells require the caster to do damage to himself? Bad Juju, Sacrifice, Empower, Dark Pact... I'm sure I missed one somewhere. By your logic, does that not make us underpowered?

Short version: no, Death is not over/underpowered. You're upset because you lost to a necromancer who was prepared and didn't just let you smash him. If you're not using the tools available to you, that's your fault.

From Zafaria,

El Veeb/Val Deathwhisper
transcendent necromancer

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
DreamLucid wrote:

The only thing I am going to address here is your complaint about Death being OP by being able to bypass the -90 weakness. This is clearly false. Any player from any school can bypass and eliminate that or any other weakness by just casting a wand spell or a rank 1 spell, which I do carry a couple of in some of my decks. Just because a Death wizard has found a STRATEGY that works for him/her and lets them heal, is not a good reason to call that school OP. Each school has their own little advantage, but they also have disadvantages. Learn to us Strategy.

As for your "glitch", contact support.

Defender
Jul 27, 2011
As for the Sun Palace issue, I have contacted support and they ignored it completely. Never got a response even though I got a confirmation email.

This is not exactly in the wrong board. This board is for glitches and problems. I see this as a problem. Plus, if it were posted in wrong board, the moderator who checked my post would have denied it. Also, I did mention the Sun Palace glitch. I'm just putting two problems in one thread so I don't have to wait for both to be accepted.

Yes, wand spells can be used to get rid of the Efreet weakness. However, not fair that the weakness gives an advantage to the death player. Using wand spell is no advantage to death school. It just cancels out the weakness. However, using sacrifice is an advantage because not only does it minimize damage to themselves, but they also heal.

Death school is not at a disadvantage like a lot of you say. They do have powerful attacks when prepared correctly. Their strength is to prevent people from healing while being able to heal themselves. This makes up for you guys saying they have weak attacking. All schools are very powerful in their own way and sets them on equal footing for fighting any other school. But I think them using Efreet's weakness with "Sacrifice" is giving them a foot up. Especially if they're going first in the battle.

As for using wyldfire to counter his bubble, I have done that. But that is not always going to work, especially if he just sets up another bubble. No I am not mad because I lost. I just see it as an unfair advantage to death students. Bad enough they bypass absorb shields, which I think is fair. But to add the fact they use Efreet's weakness as a huge advantage, is unfair to fire. Especially if the death player is going first, then they will know the weakness is there and easily use it to their advantage. It is NOT the same as using a wand spell to get rid of it. REALLY different.

Defender
Jul 27, 2011
Also, as for learning strategy, I do use strategy. Yes all schools have an advantage that other schools don't. But I think death has an extra one with that Efreet weakness. I would even say, any school who uses the Efreet weakness to attack themselves (in order to heal, attack, pip, etc.) is unfair. So that would include a pyromancer using the Efreet weakness to do Immolate. Using Efreet is supposed to HELP the pyromancer, not make it worse for them in the long run.

So I will say this: I think the Efreet weakness should not be activated for Immolate, Sacrifice, the death spell for blade, the balance one for pips, etc. It should only activate for OUTGOING attack spells. If death is allowed to bypass absorb shield, I think it is fair to allow the pyromancer's weakness to bypass incoming attacks.

One more thing, this is just my opinion. Don't put me down for simply speaking my mind. I don't mind people disagreeing with me, I actually love it to see other points of view (hence why I started this). But I don't like it when people make me feel inferior. Making comments like "use strategy" suggests I don't, which in turn is calling me stupid. Please don't do that. I am simply stating opinions just as everyone else. No need to make me feel bad for what I have said.

Defender
Feb 26, 2012
HA!!!!!! i told you all, in another post where they said balance is op i said no not just balance its all schools and they said no just balance and nothing else o and ice. But i was right, every school is op not just any ONE school so when they are all op none of them are op and people will only say they are op because the person of that school did something that they did not like and they decided that they are op and should be knocked back a couple steps but KI know what they are doing so stop with the complaining PLEASE.
~John Dragoncatcher Archmage Sorcerer~

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
I mainly play a necromancer. You know that you can do the same type of thing with one of your own fire spells. Don't you have a fire spell that causes you to hit yourself to hurt your opponent? If anything that spell is infringing on one of death's specialties. I have always been pleased that death is (almost) the only school that can hit itself. Necromancers are using their own life force to cast the spell. The mechanic is full of flavor. You may also note that the spells that death pays health to use, have effects similar to spells from other schools... Flavor again, we pay an extra cost, and sometimes it is fatal, to imitate other schools. Even feint falls into this group as I am trapping myself to place a trap on another. Necromancy in this game is full of double edged spells, I am quite fond of this mechanic, it requires me to think.

Of course being able to hit myself is an advantage, I wouldn't want to hit myself for no reason!

I would love to take the mechanic further and use the life force of my teammates as well. (for one thing it would allow me to kill off annoying team members who refuse to follow advice, when fighting a boss who has triggered abilities... that probably won't happen, for that very reason, sigh.)

ps. I know myth has a spell to move a charm around... at least I have seen it on an equipment. It is only a matter of time before someone gets the ability to transfer efreet's negative charm, from themselves to your wizard. Will you complain then as well?

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
DreamLucid wrote:
As for the Sun Palace issue, I have contacted support and they ignored it completely. Never got a response even though I got a confirmation email.

This is not exactly in the wrong board. This board is for glitches and problems. I see this as a problem. Plus, if it were posted in wrong board, the moderator who checked my post would have denied it. Also, I did mention the Sun Palace glitch. I'm just putting two problems in one thread so I don't have to wait for both to be accepted.

Yes, wand spells can be used to get rid of the Efreet weakness. However, not fair that the weakness gives an advantage to the death player. Using wand spell is no advantage to death school. It just cancels out the weakness. However, using sacrifice is an advantage because not only does it minimize damage to themselves, but they also heal.

Death school is not at a disadvantage like a lot of you say. They do have powerful attacks when prepared correctly. Their strength is to prevent people from healing while being able to heal themselves. This makes up for you guys saying they have weak attacking. All schools are very powerful in their own way and sets them on equal footing for fighting any other school. But I think them using Efreet's weakness with "Sacrifice" is giving them a foot up. Especially if they're going first in the battle.

As for using wyldfire to counter his bubble, I have done that. But that is not always going to work, especially if he just sets up another bubble. No I am not mad because I lost. I just see it as an unfair advantage to death students. Bad enough they bypass absorb shields, which I think is fair. But to add the fact they use Efreet's weakness as a huge advantage, is unfair to fire. Especially if the death player is going first, then they will know the weakness is there and easily use it to their advantage. It is NOT the same as using a wand spell to get rid of it. REALLY different.

I really don't see the problem you say here. The fact that you can't always maintian your bubble iis fair. It's part of the bubble war, if your opponent outwins you in this then they deserve to keep their bubble. The fact that your opponent can find a way to counter one of your spells and turn it into an advantage does not make the school OP. Look at fires spell steal charm it can steal balance's universal charms using a spell an opponent used to your advantage. Clearly by your logic the fire school is also OP. See the problem?

Defender
Jul 27, 2011
I never said I was upset about my fire wall being taken down.

And yes, that makes fire OP too. As I said in my last post, any school that inflicts damage to themselves should not be used with Efreet's weakness. As I said, this DOES include Immolate. Me saying Death is OP as my title was simply my example.

So as I said, Efreet's weakness should only work with OUTGOING spells, NOT incoming.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Grim2626 wrote:
HA!!!!!! i told you all, in another post where they said balance is op i said no not just balance its all schools and they said no just balance and nothing else o and ice. But i was right, every school is op not just any ONE school so when they are all op none of them are op and people will only say they are op because the person of that school did something that they did not like and they decided that they are op and should be knocked back a couple steps but KI know what they are doing so stop with the complaining PLEASE.
~John Dragoncatcher Archmage Sorcerer~

That first statement does not make sense. If all schools are OP then what is the problem? They would still be as they are now with each school having their own advantages and disadvantages.

I have wizards in ALL but Ice and I have had no problem, but then I don't PvP either.

DreamLucid, If a death student has found a way to cancel out a weakness, then they have found a new strategy. Just because they can do this with "Sacrifice" does not mean the school is OP. Sacrifice is a SELF ATTACK/HEAL. ALL attacks cancel weakness. As for the amount of heal that wizard was able to gain from using that spell to damage and heal himself is also going to be determined by the amount of INCOMING heal boost they have. Not all will have the exact same amount or results. Frankly, I find your issue with this unfounded.

Would it be unfair if my Life wizard used every Healing boost I could place plus In/Out and be able to heal my whole team to full health? Would it be unfair for My Pyro to place every Smokescreen on my opponent while I slam him with efreet or Rain of Fire, or Fire Dragon? Would it be unfair to do basically the same thing with my Storm, Balance or Myth? No. MY spells are not OP, My school is not OP. Why am I not mentioning my Death here? Death is what the discussion is about. All of my wizards have their advantage and disadvantages. They are supposed to.

Now if there was the possibility that a Spell was OP, that might be a different story.

Again, you just need to learn how to work the strategy to make it work for you. Sacrifice is not a new spell, it has been around long enough that I can promise you those who are AVID PvPers would have already had the chance to take a good look at it. Those players have also learned from having wizards in various schools, just how each one works and which one works best for them in PvP. Just because Sacrifice has the ability to remove a weakness, that does not mean the school is OP.

And to comment on what Conno said, This particular part of your post should have been put in the PvP section. This is not a Problem. Only your glitch should be posted here.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
DreamLucid wrote:
I never said I was upset about my fire wall being taken down.

And yes, that makes fire OP too. As I said in my last post, any school that inflicts damage to themselves should not be used with Efreet's weakness. As I said, this DOES include Immolate. Me saying Death is OP as my title was simply my example.

So as I said, Efreet's weakness should only work with OUTGOING spells, NOT incoming.

Ok several problems
1)You referenced Death's bubble(or wall as you refer to it) as an overpowering factor, I replied that you can counter it and you replied that you can't always maintain that. True, thats the bubble war. But apparently you have no problem losing this war so then Deaths bubble is a non-factor.

2)So any school that has a spell that can use an opponents spell to their advantage is OP? So then lets add ice and myth onto the growing list of OP schools. Oh lets not forget balance with supernova. Oh and anytime you have a same school battle under the same damage bubble, whoever doesnt cast it is OP because they have free access to the same damage boosting abilities. Using your standard is meaningless because it assumes that all it takes to make a school OP is the ability for them to use spells not their own to their advantage.

3)Efreet's charm works on damage, whether it is outgoing or incoming has no effect and thats the way it should stay. The fact that sacrifice can be used to counter the weakness and heal is acceptable.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
vonawesome1 wrote:
Since this is a PvP complaint (you mentioned 1v1), it belongs on the PvP board, with the other five trillion complaints about how every spell in the Spiral is overpowered.

Because you mentioned Death, let me ask you a question... When a Death wizard puts an Infection on you, can your pet not simply Sprite it off? And have you forgotten that most Death spells require the caster to do damage to himself? Bad Juju, Sacrifice, Empower, Dark Pact... I'm sure I missed one somewhere. By your logic, does that not make us underpowered?

Short version: no, Death is not over/underpowered. You're upset because you lost to a necromancer who was prepared and didn't just let you smash him. If you're not using the tools available to you, that's your fault.

From Zafaria,

El Veeb/Val Deathwhisper
transcendent necromancer

Five trillion? Lol!

But seriously,
the person above is definetly correct. Also, it requires death damage, so that means that our blades will only harm ourself. Don't complain that much. Just saying.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
DreamLucid I replied to this thread at 2:49am. Your post mentioning immolation had not yet been approved by the moderators at that time, and so was not visible. Each post shows the time it was made, not the time the moderators allowed it to become visible to the rest of the community.

Now that I think about it, using immolation while under an efreet charm is just a waste of time. The charm should reduce both the incoming and outgoing damage of the spell at the same time. immolation is a Multi hit spell the only difference is that it hits both sides of the battlefield, meteor just hits the enemy side, but the damage reduction still works for all targets.

If you don't believe me do a pvp with a balance wizard and have them cast hex on your pyromancer, then cast immolation. You will see that both the damage dealt to you and to him are reduced by the hex charm.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
As for those saying death is underpowered in the arena, that is VERY wrong, they are behind myth in my list, as 3rd strongest for 1v1 PvP. (I view it as Ice, Myth, Death, Balance, Life, Fire, Storm)

As for death being OP, that is ALSO wrong! Death is balanced IMO.
If you know a death will use your weakness (Not all do, only around 75% from what I have seen), don't use a weakness! Rain of fire is an AMAZING alternate! Or heckhound! As long as they dont have triage treasures, you are good to go! You can still use efreet, predict them! Make them waste pips! Either way, if you have "strategy" as you say, you should be able to figure out how to beat them.

Defender
Aug 01, 2011
DreamLucid wrote:

Death is not overpowered they have weak attacks look at how they attack its very weak besides katz.
Every school has their ups and downs it is not your right to judge them.

Defender
Jul 27, 2011
I think too many of you are misunderstanding what I am saying.

First: I NEVER said that the death bubble/wall was unfair. Read more carefully.

Second: I said the weakness should not work for incoming attack spells and ONLY work for outgoing. How is this an unfair idea when it effects all schools with spells inflicting damage to themselves?

Third: The death person I fought, you all say I am upset for losing. Not true. We fight all the time. I win half the times and he wins the other half of the times. This thread was not for a grudge. It was for ideas. So stop bashing on me, really annoying.

Fourth: Can a moderator now close this thread? I think the issues and ideas were said, so no point in keeping this open. Well, the only thing not resolved is my Sun Palace issue.

Explorer
Feb 13, 2011
vonawesome1 wrote:

From Zafaria,

El Veeb/Val Deathwhisper
transcendent necromancer

scarab is OP... i was wiped out by a single scarab, and i had full balance resist armor... then again, i was on one HP... but i had full mana and i lost it all because i fled because people refused to help me... darn refusing medics///

Squire
Jan 21, 2010

It is an unfair suggestion because it does not affect all the schools. Life, myth, ice, and balance cannot hurt themselves. You say that it affects them too, but it does not, because there is nothing there to affect.