Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Can Storm beat Ice?

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
My younger brother Fred asked me to set up his Storm Wizard (Level 80) for PVP. He was afraid of all the talk about Ice being invinceable to Storm and Fire.

I made him craft some gear, and set him up with a critical of 258. We moved his hit up to 85, and then made a few other changes to his Wand, rings, etc. When we were done, we set the deck up to take full advantage of his critical and hitting power. Loaded in the usual in the side deck, with a few extra Storm Elfs.

I asked him to take his new setup into the practice area for a few matches, just 6 or 7. After his matches, which he won ever one, we decided to do a ranked match. Guess what, the first guy he faces is a Ice, with about 75 resist to storm.
Our first Kraken (with just a blade) only did only about 348 hit.
Wow, that told me we were hitting at about 25% of what we should have.

I kind of sunk a bit in my chair, thinking, wow, this is not good.

Next we started to dump the infection and Weakness on after every hit.
We started pulling up infallibles from the TC side, and Storm Elfs.
The criticals started hitting hard, and all of a sudden, we started making ground.

The Ice started with close to 5000 health, but we cut that in half in 10 power pips (the first two pp were almost wasted). We did have to shatter his blades a few times, and that kept him at bay. Next we healed and dumped D&G, and two sets of bladed, gared Storm Bats. We relied heavily on the TC sidedeck. The final blow (8 pip spell on -15) started his head wobbling, and GG.

The next match was with a Life, and didn't go quite as well as we had hoped. We had to make a few adjustments to the deck, after that battle.

I am now convinced, if you set up your Fire or Storm correctly, you can overcome Ice. Gear setup is important, and matching your Deck and Sidedeck to your gear is critical. If I had setup his deck any other way, I would question if he would have won. So, for all those Storm out there that think that you can't beat an Ice with High resist, I think you could be wrong.

Joe.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
Just would like to clarify a few things.

First what was the ice's rank?

Who went first?

Was there a lot of luck involved?
Ex. Pets spamming, power pip chance, amount of critical going off

What was the block of the ice?

Did you use vengeance?

Please answer those questions and then I can be sure to give you a fair response.

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
Lion359 wrote:
My younger brother Fred asked me to set up his Storm Wizard (Level 80) for PVP. He was afraid of all the talk about Ice being invinceable to Storm and Fire.

I made him craft some gear, and set him up with a critical of 258. We moved his hit up to 85, and then made a few other changes to his Wand, rings, etc. When we were done, we set the deck up to take full advantage of his critical and hitting power. Loaded in the usual in the side deck, with a few extra Storm Elfs.

I asked him to take his new setup into the practice area for a few matches, just 6 or 7. After his matches, which he won ever one, we decided to do a ranked match. Guess what, the first guy he faces is a Ice, with about 75 resist to storm.

The criticals started hitting hard, and all of a sudden, we started making ground.

The Ice started with close to 5000 health, but we cut that in half in 10 power pips (the first two pp were almost wasted). We did have to shatter his blades a few times, and that kept him at bay. Next we healed and dumped D&G, and two sets of bladed, gared Storm Bats. We relied heavily on the TC sidedeck. The final blow (8 pip spell on -15) started his head wobbling, and GG.

The next match was with a Life, and didn't go quite as well as we had hoped. We had to make a few adjustments to the deck, after that battle.

I am now convinced, if you set up your Fire or Storm correctly, you can overcome Ice. Gear setup is important, and matching your Deck and Sidedeck to your gear is critical. If I had setup his deck any other way, I would question if he would have won. So, for all those Storm out there that think that you can't beat an Ice with High resist, I think you could be wrong.

Joe.

Its absolutely possible. I have done it multiple times, and its easier then everyone says it is. Convert stormblade elemental blade, stormspear, pierce/shatter, levy doom convert and kraken till dead. Good game.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
Considering this is a game of stragety, your correct, if you can pull of a good deck and stragety, and have a little help from luck, the impossible is only a little bit less impossible ( not a very funny joke i know).

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Lion359 wrote:

Joe.

Interesting strategy. On my lvl 80 storm I went the opposite way, rather than relying on large attack volume I crafted the avalon gear set my attack down to 62% and prepared for the long haul. I use a balance mastery amulet and a bare bones deck to allow flexibility with cloak colossal reshuffle. My heal boost is 100% with the courtly dirk/stellar signet and maudolin of the evermore and my critical lies on the low end of storms potential at around 212 but my universal block stands at 177 with 200+ to storm and ice. My strategy is an outlast, enfeeble healing current and sprite keeps me up there. I use veangeance GS for emergencies and even bob the storm minion is handy as a occasional shield heal or pip bank. I prepare my blades and use supercharge when ready. Balance dispel keeps them limited late game and allows for minion control via colossal scorp. Blood bats takes care of myth and tower simultaneously while fire elf clears white pips shields and weaknesses while leaving my setup preserved. I typically run them out of shields and then convert while multiplying/discarding cards as i see necessary. It works but typically takes about an hour or 2. Bubble maintainence is also key but you can force a desperate ice to do crazy things.

Survivor
Apr 08, 2012
Lion359 wrote:

Joe.

I've seen plently of Pyromancers and Diviners use the same methods stated in this post, and as a witness, it is absolutely possible to beat Ice in the arena even with +70% resist.

- Jason StrongHeart

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Simple answer: YES

You took the time to figure it out. Good on you! :)

As an Ice wizard, I have been beaten (when I played PvP, which I don't bother with anymore). It took a loooong time, but I was beaten.

So for all those whining that Ice is impossible to beat..here is a lesson for ya'll! ;)

Explorer
Sep 03, 2009
Geographer
Aug 28, 2010

Hi Snowyandspots,

The Ice was only a Captain, and Fred's Storm was a Private. The Ice did know how to play, and I could tell he knew how to time a his spells.
I expect based on how he played, that he had most likely played at Commander or Warlord level before. That's kinda easy to tell when they setup combos in hand, and place a few perfectly timed spells they hold in hand.

Who went first?

The Ice went first, but he couldn't keep shielded because of Storm Elf and our Storm bats.

Pets really didn't do much in this battle, maybe two heals out of his pet.
The Storm was hitting criticals more around 65% of the time, yeah, he hit some great crits at the right time. On the other hand, we designed this Storm to do that. We thought about going with FatesKin's strategy, but since Fred's first Wizard was a Fire, I decided to stick with a fast play style. So we buffed his Critical up to the mid range to really hit hard.

I didn't check it out, so you got me on this one. Based on the typical gear he had, I would have expected it to be around the 130 to 140 mark.

Did you use vengeance?

What!!!, do you think we would be cheap and use that, yes we did.

Please answer those questions and then I can be sure to give you a fair response.

You have been answered........

Joe.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
Zoro987 wrote:
One word to all the fire and storm wizards out there like me

Converts

And if that don't work, then use pierce. It might take a while but you'll be amazed by the result.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
Lion359 wrote:

Hi Snowyandspots,

The Ice was only a Captain, and Fred's Storm was a Private. The Ice did know how to play, and I could tell he knew how to time a his spells.
I expect based on how he played, that he had most likely played at Commander or Warlord level before. That's kinda easy to tell when they setup combos in hand, and place a few perfectly timed spells they hold in hand.

Who went first?

The Ice went first, but he couldn't keep shielded because of Storm Elf and our Storm bats.

Pets really didn't do much in this battle, maybe two heals out of his pet.
The Storm was hitting criticals more around 65% of the time, yeah, he hit some great crits at the right time. On the other hand, we designed this Storm to do that. We thought about going with FatesKin's strategy, but since Fred's first Wizard was a Fire, I decided to stick with a fast play style. So we buffed his Critical up to the mid range to really hit hard.

I didn't check it out, so you got me on this one. Based on the typical gear he had, I would have expected it to be around the 130 to 140 mark.

Did you use vengeance?

What!!!, do you think we would be cheap and use that, yes we did.

You have been answered........

Joe.

Huh ok thank you for answering. It sounds like the criticals saved you. Recently I decided to increase my block because I was tired of dealing with criticals. It is now at 190 then if I decided to change it it could be at 230 for storm 220 for fire and 210 for ice. Then the rest would be at 170.

I haven't tested my new block against storms yet though I was able to block well before. I just wanted to make it so there would never be a critical on me. With that being said it seems like the ice didn't have great block. (120?)

Also you left out pip chances since that can make or break you.

Seems in final analysis a storm can beat an ice if they get lucky along with well timed attacks.

When I say lucky I mean good pips along with criticals going through. Also I don't know if you used a lot of insane bolt and wild bolt.

In the end anything is possible though probability of storms beating ices at the 50:50 mark is unlikely.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Depends how skilled the ice is. The average ice warlord will probably beat any storm that isn't warlord. Maybe a few exceptions here and there, yes its possible, but difficult.

Survivor
Aug 15, 2010
This from what i have read just proves that it's all about how you set up your deck. I have heard a few different successfull skill stratigies and me personally being a fire I do find it challenging to play a ice in pvp but not imposible. it's all about strategy and other factors that go into the match. I also do not believe the ice being a warlord having anything to do with you losing the match either because no one really uses commander gear anymore because it takes away from critical which seems to have a drastic measure on some of these games, although an ice being a warlord can tell me that they may have a good set up and you should be mre cautious while fighting them instead of flying in there all crazy. Just remember Storm and Fire we where both given less health because our attacks are stronger.