Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Can't attack

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 21, 2011
When I went to find baxter and got ambushed, I could only cast shields and stuff on myself, and I couldn't attack. Has anyone else had this problem?

Survivor
Jul 04, 2012
I think it's because you do not have enough pips/mana to cast a spell. Here is a review:
On the top left corner shows the rank of the spell. Say the rank says 3. You need 3 mana/pips to cast the spell.
Pips are little white shiny things that is around your player circle. 1 pip let's you cast a 1 rank spell. If you want to cast a rank 3 spell, you must pass OR use rank 0 spells to fill in the pass until you have 3 pips.
Power pips look like pips exept they are bright yellow. Power pips count as 2 pips, but for your school of focus only. Like if I cast a fire elf (rank 2), I need 2 pips, or 1 power pip, since I am in school of fire. You can only start to earn power pips once you reach at least level 10, while there are also some clothing/jewelry that can boost your chances of gaining power pips.
Mana is the blue crystal ball beside your health. This shows how much mana you have left. A rank 3 spell will take 3 mana from your total mana, EVEN IF THE SPELL FIZZLES. If your mana goes to 0, you can't cast any more rank 1 or higher spells, making it very hard to win a battle. If you flee your mana will automatically go to 0. You can refill your mana by catching wisps, playing minigames or using potions. Hope this helpps :D

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Ohnoswords wrote:
When I went to find baxter and got ambushed, I could only cast shields and stuff on myself, and I couldn't attack. Has anyone else had this problem?

Sounds like one of three things to me:

1. Your deck is too full, and you were only drawing shields;
2. you didn't have enough pips to cast spells; or
3. you were out of mana.

If it's #1~ I can help you with your deck setup, but I need to know what school you are.

If it's #2~ the glowing balls by your feet are pips. If you are a Balance wizard, for example, and have 2 pips~ a white one and a yellow one~ you can cast any rank 2 spell, or a locust swarm (rank 3 spell), because yellow/power pips count double for your school only.

If it's #3~ mana (the blue stuff in the second globe) is magical energy, and you can't cast spells without it. Shields don't cost any mana, which would explain why you can't attack; to refill your mana, either drink a potion or play some mini-games.

Either way, good luck!
-veebz

Explorer
May 21, 2011
I don't think you know what I mean. First I casted deathblade on myself, then banshee on him, but when I clicked on him, nothing happened. Next round, I cast vampire on him, but when I click on him, nothing happens. I cast a shield on myself, and when I clicked on me, it worked fine. Now do you understand?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Ohnoswords wrote:
I don't think you know what I mean. First I casted deathblade on myself, then banshee on him, but when I clicked on him, nothing happened. Next round, I cast vampire on him, but when I click on him, nothing happens. I cast a shield on myself, and when I clicked on me, it worked fine. Now do you understand?

I'm not a hundred percent sure I understand (since I obviously can't see your screen)... What's happening leading up to it? Is this something I could recreate in my own game?

You say you cast a Deathblade, followed by a Banshee... at that level, two rounds would likely give you 2 regular pips, and Banshee is a 3-pip spell, meaning that you don't have enough pips to cast. That would also explain why your Vampire didn't work the following round~ if you only have 3 pips, you can't cast a 4-pip spell. Of course, I don't know what your advanced stats are like, so knowing them would be helpful in trying to recreate this glitch.

Also worth noting: when an enemy first joins the battle in the middle of a combat turn, you won't be able to click on him until the next round.

Another question for you~ assuming you're a Death wizard, did you cast Beguile on that opponent recently? If you did, he's considered your teammate and you won't be able to click him until it wears off.

I'm sorry I can't help you more~ it's hard to do, when I can't see what's happening for myself. I hope Support can better assist you than we can.

Cheers,
-veebz