Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

BIG Problem With Mana Burn

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
Okay, I'm an archmage storm and I was doing 1v1 ranked pvp, I fought a balance, All all they did was spam shields until enough pips to mana burn, and since that does damage and makes me unable to attack, He eventually killed me. I couldn't get enough pips to shatter, and he summoned a minion when i used pips to heal, So that the minion could also shield and power him up. This is extremely unfair, Please fix this KI. If you can see by my join date and posts, I don't come here often and when I do, There's a real problem.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
mp3patrick wrote:
Okay, I'm an archmage storm and I was doing 1v1 ranked pvp, I fought a balance, All all they did was spam shields until enough pips to mana burn, and since that does damage and makes me unable to attack, He eventually killed me. I couldn't get enough pips to shatter, and he summoned a minion when i used pips to heal, So that the minion could also shield and power him up. This is extremely unfair, Please fix this KI.

So, because you lost to a sorcerer who was prepared and didn't just let you smash him, you want Mana Burn "nerfed"? Right...

Common sense says you should alter your strategy to suit your opponent. If you can't or won't do that, it's your own fault; if you walk in, expecting your opponent to let you walk all over him, it's also your fault. If you don't use all of the tools available to you, guess what? Your fault again.

You can use Tower Shields~ you can dispel, you can Shatter, you can blade and heal. You also have a minion and higher accuracy than any Balance wizard (by level 50); we also can't wand off Weakness or break shields efficiently. Again, why are you complaining?

-

I am an archmage Balance wizard, and I can tell you've never played one, since you obviously have no idea how horribly broken Mana Burn is.

1) If you're in second spot, it's a free cast for you, since it doesn't act like a dispel... This means you can cast a Triton for no pips~ how is this a problem?

2) The other schools all think it's a version of Judge that dispels and takes pips. Right... More like a downgraded version of Judge that /might/ steal pips if you're lucky enough to go first~ even then, your opponent gets a free cast. See #1.

3) As a Balance wizard, I can think of better ways to waste 5 pips than spamming Mana Burn~ in fact, spamming it would be impossible, due to the not-worth-it pip cost (5 pips to steal 3). Why are you not building up your own pip-count, so you still have some left over when he steals them?

-

I'm a PvE-only player, but I'm replying to this because any nerfs initiated by the PvP crowd (and the majority of them are) affect us, too. Now, if you stopped whining about every spell in the Spiral and actually worked to outsmart your opponents (the entire point of PvP), this game might continue to be fun for both groups of players!

PS: Hands off my Power Nova. If you guys try and nerf that, it's not going to be pretty.

~"El Veeb"
the Archmage of Awesomeness

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
Explorer
Feb 12, 2011
vonawesome1 wrote:
mp3patrick wrote:
Okay, I'm an archmage storm and I was doing 1v1 ranked pvp, I fought a balance, All all they did was spam shields until enough pips to mana burn, and since that does damage and makes me unable to attack, He eventually killed me. I couldn't get enough pips to shatter, and he summoned a minion when i used pips to heal, So that the minion could also shield and power him up. This is extremely unfair, Please fix this KI.

So, because you lost to a sorcerer who was prepared and didn't just let you smash him, you want Mana Burn "nerfed"? Right...

Common sense says you should alter your strategy to suit your opponent. If you can't or won't do that, it's your own fault; if you walk in, expecting your opponent to let you walk all over him, it's also your fault. If you don't use all of the tools available to you, guess what? Your fault again.

You can use Tower Shields~ you can dispel, you can Shatter, you can blade and heal. You also have a minion and higher accuracy than any Balance wizard (by level 50); we also can't wand off Weakness or break shields efficiently. Again, why are you complaining?

-

I am an archmage Balance wizard, and I can tell you've never played one, since you obviously have no idea how horribly broken Mana Burn is.

1) If you're in second spot, it's a free cast for you, since it doesn't act like a dispel... This means you can cast a Triton for no pips~ how is this a problem?

2) The other schools all think it's a version of Judge that dispels and takes pips. Right... More like a downgraded version of Judge that /might/ steal pips if you're lucky enough to go first~ even then, your opponent gets a free cast. See #1.

3) As a Balance wizard, I can think of better ways to waste 5 pips than spamming Mana Burn~ in fact, spamming it would be impossible, due to the not-worth-it pip cost (5 pips to steal 3). Why are you not building up your own pip-count, so you still have some left over when he steals them?

-

I'm a PvE-only player, but I'm replying to this because any nerfs initiated by the PvP crowd (and the majority of them are) affect us, too. Now, if you stopped whining about every spell in the Spiral and actually worked to outsmart your opponents (the entire point of PvP), this game might continue to be fun for both groups of players!

PS: Hands off my Power Nova. If you guys try and nerf that, it's not going to be pretty.

~"El Veeb"

First - Couldn't agree more, there is nothing wrong with mana burn, except the whole free-cast-from-second problem (see El Veeb's #1). And no offense to all you Balance wizards, but for all the over-powered PvP complaints, Balance is not at the top of the hit list, usually. You have been playing this game for 4 years, and your Archmage Storm is being stopped by Mana Burn? I am amazed that this is your biggest problem.

Second - This thread really belongs in PVP, with all the other complaints.

Third - I also am a PvE-only player, and this really does come down to strategy. I have good friends that are dedicated PvPers (Fire/Storm/Life - so I have seen a range of challenges), and I do not hear them complain about wanting to nerf spells, instead they try to work out new strategies to combat the new spells/resistances that emerge with each new release.

Example: I have a lvl 80 ice, with the right gear combo I can have over 5000hp, 77 resist to Fire and 73 resist to Storm, and 38 to all others. Instead of complaining that my resist should be nerfed, they instead ask me for opinions of HOW to beat ice the way it is. Heck, I have even offered to be a practice dummy if they just want to practice getting around the resist.

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
vonawesome1 wrote:
mp3patrick wrote:

-

-

~"El Veeb"

So basically I need to use dispels and am limited to triton while they spam shields waiting to have six pips, then mana burn? Shield + resist = a 300-600 damage triton, Having 4,000 health and a pet that casts spritely means It's nearly impossible to win.

Defender
Mar 10, 2012
Mastermind
Dec 11, 2011
You have a problem with Mana Burn because it was used as a strategy? You didn't have any dispels in your side board? If it takes (s)he 3 turns to cast from scratch, you should be able to work a few pips from there.

If you have a problem with this spell, then I can't wait until you are defeated by a Guardian Spirit spammer

-Gtafreak101

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
Yes! I would love mana burn nerfed! You know why? Because spamming shields and limiting me to a triton is not good enough! I never know who I'm going to face, So I can't fix my sideboard to fit just one school! I have a shatter amulet and it takes more pips since it's not my school, So when I do use shatter, Even more shields! And he had a mander giving him shields too! Ridiculous! Removing pips is just going a little to far. If it has to take pips and does damage, It should be weakened. There was literally nothing I could do, VERY irritating. I don't complain about losing every often with 500 total pvp matches. In fact this is my first time, Because this isn't a strategy, This is basically just unfair.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
mp3patrick wrote:
So basically I need to use dispels and am limited to triton while they spam shields waiting to have six pips, then mana burn? Shield + resist = a 300-600 damage triton, Having 4,000 health and a pet that casts spritely means It's nearly impossible to win.

So, why are you letting him shield? Better yet, why are you letting him buff up at all? You have so many tools available to you, but are unwilling to use them... I don't get it.

And that's not what I said at all~ sounds like you didn't even read my post.

vonawesome1 wrote:

Unless you're Myth, shattering is a pip-guzzler. But, you know what? Use it once, and all of that wizard's carefully-stacked shields are gone~ every, single one. And why are you not shielding or healing yourself? Balance is not unblockable~ Tower shields exist, for that reason. And you, like anyone else, can try for a pet with Spritely, if you want it badly enough~ my Starfish has both Sprite and Spell Proof; heck, I'll even hatch with you.

You also have more and better buffs than Balance~ we only have Balanceblade, Bladestorm, and Hex, plus the tri-blades/traps... and ALL of the above are available to all schools. There is nothing that benefits Balance exclusively, which gives you a huge advantage.

Elemental and Spirit Blades /can/ be useful on occasion, but not if you're me and have a 99% power pip chance~ then, you're spending 2 pips for a 1-pip spell, which isn't exactly efficient.

-

Something else I said, which you seem to have conveniently misinterpreted:

vonawesome1 wrote:

That doesn't mean you're limited to that spell~ it was just an example. If you had a Levy ready to go, when that sorcerer Mana Burned you, it would still cast, even if you didn't have the pips to cast it with.

Also, 4000 health is nothing, to a good Storm wizard~ even my grandmaster can do twice that in one hit, not including critical; that Balance wizard can shield all he wants, but he's probably still toast.

-

Clearly, the problem here is your strategy... I like Amy's advice, and strongly suggest you take it. Find a Balance friend to practice with, until you figure out how to get past him (or her)~ health is but a number, and your damage boost is high enough to counter that.

Lastly, go train Unbalance (from Mildred Farseer in Colossus Blvd)... It'll cost a point, but sounds like it will be worth it.

Best of luck,
-veebz

(@gtafreak~ LOL, neither can I!)

Delver
Jan 13, 2010
vonawesome1 wrote:
mp3patrick wrote:

-

-

~"El Veeb"

Lol. but, why cant we take weakness of with our wand attack?

Lvl 80 Archmage Sorcerer Cole Dunerunner Hero of Avalon

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
aditha12 wrote:
Lol. but, why cant we take weakness of with our wand attack?

Lvl 80 Archmage Sorcerer Cole Dunerunner Hero of Avalon

Because Balance does not have any school-only buffs.

My Balance wizard carries a Death wand, but only for the stats. If she had a blade up, and someone put a Weakness trap on her, getting rid of it with a wand strike would also use any blades or traps she'd put up. If not for the extra stats on wands, I wouldn't have her carry one at all~ there's no point.

On that note~ to the OP, from a Balance wizard:

First thing in combat, use a wand strike~ that will show you how much resistance that Balance wizard has against your school. Add armour piercing spears to your deck, or find gear with armour piercing, accordingly.

Before the fight, load up your sideboard with Weakness and Unbalance. Then, wait until he starts blading~ by the time that sorcerer has the pips for Mana Burn, he'll have a dispel and at least 3 Weakness traps on him, which will have one of 2 outcomes: it'll force him to waste a few rounds casting Cleanse Charm, or attack you at -25%. If you get those Weakness traps out quickly, he won't be able to keep them off and likely won't bother trying.

Then, take out the minion. Mr. Mander only has 300 health, so taking him down is nothing~ this means that your opponent will either have to waste 3 pips to summon another one, or abandon that strategy in favour of another one.

Again, I suggest you find a Balance friend to practice with and fine-tune the details of your strategy. Good luck!

El Veeb/Laura Shadowsong
the Archmage of Awesomeness ;)