Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

To the Wizard101 staff.....

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 01, 2011
I have been noticing a lot while playing the game, that new wizards (low levels) have been porting to archmage players or players that have access to the "higher level" worlds, when they clearly are ill prepared for that world. They jump in people's combats, with 700 health, get killed by a minion, and ask to be healed, or they just invite another minion into an already chaotic and hard combat and then flee. This is a major inconvenience for us players who are on a quest and are having a little bit of a rough time with it, especially when the quest is Avalon related. I know for a fact that a player can not port to another player if they are in a world where a membership is required, can there be a way to prevent lower levels who have not unlocked the other worlds from porting into the worlds they haven't unlocked yet? I tried not to make an issue of this, but, other players were complaining about the same thing as well, and when new players port to me in those worlds, I let them know how advanced that world is, as well as the average minions hit points, rank, and the pip spell they can cast, to enlighten them of the risk they are running of being in that world and being pulled into an unplanned fight. Again, I hate being a complainer, but please, set the game to where only people of the required level or the required quest can have access to the worlds that they have unlocked. It would be greatly appreciated. :D

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
This has been an on going problem since Celestia mainly and manners were no longer required to play the game, so why have any.

There are a few things you can do to avoid this problem like pick quite realms, don't make friends with anyone you don't want to fight with etc. I have even had to flee and start the fight over in another realm. If you turn porting off then you can't ask any one who could help you to port to you either. There does seem to be a mass amount of new lower level wizards that believe this helps them power level plus gains them drops that they can later use or sell so they can build their gold up so if they can net a friend in higher worlds they are porting to them.

In the end those who purchase areas with crowns or have membership have access to areas no matter what if they port into someone there. It has just become accepted practice and is part of the challenges of the game, like it or not it's going to happen. It does seem to intensify when new worlds are released and dies down just in time for the next one to come out.

Explorer
Sep 17, 2008
I had exactly the same thing happen to me. The other wizard, though, despite his low level, really tried his best to kill those monsters. Trolls and the default spells on his wand, trying to sprite to heal himself... it was really sad. But because he tried so hard, and despite being annoyed, I had a twinge of sympathy for him and went ahead and won the battle so that he could have a shot at some decent loot. That being said, however, it really IS quite annoying; it makes the battles much more difficult. There ARE a few work arounds, though.

1: Play with a friend: every school has a minion and if you both keep minions in your decks, just the two of you can fill all of the open sigils for other players, thus "locking" the battle.

2: Keep a spell like subdue (the ones that reduce threat on target) and use it on the monsters that are attacking you when a new player joins. This will make the monsters focus on killing the other player... unless you have done too much damage. If your damage output in the battle is already over 1000, you may need a stronger spell, like mega subdue, which is an x-pip spell. The more pips you spend on it, the greater the reduction in your threat level.

2.5: As a side note: healing also seems to generate threat to the monsters' AIs. If you just stand there and heal, you may still need to keep casting subdue spells and the like, even if you haven't done any damage to any enemies.

Low levels won't gain anything by dying in battle and not being healed. It won't change the fact that they made the battle more tough on you, but keep a Fortify spell on hand (or five) and try to tough it out and make sure the other player suffers.

I don't like that it has to be done, but if these wizards can't fend for themselves then they clearly don't belong in said world making life more difficult for those of us just trying to quest.

Defender
May 19, 2012
Having minions out is not a solution, as minions tend to mess up your traps by throwing little pidly damage spells at the monster you put your traps on. I totally agree that unless you have unlocked that world, you should not be allowed to port to it. I don't care if you have membership or not, you haven't earned the right to be there yet.

I know we have the option to lock friend teleports, but we shouldn't have to do that either. Then you prevent legitimate friends who maybe have that same quest and would like to come help out from porting as well.

Other mmo's do also let lower levels go into higher zones, but they also usually have the battles locked to other players once combat has started, and there is another deterrent to going into a zone at too low a level, and that is agro range. The lower level you are, the higher your agro range, meaning if you are way too low to be there, you're going to get pulled into battle from a greater distance than if you are the right level for that zone. I'm surprised KI hasn't implemented this already to deter lower levels from entering higher level zones.

I don't add anyone to friends anymore, though I still keep my friends requests open so that if I happen to run into someone I would like to friend, they have the opportunity to throw up the invite first if they so choose. I just decline everyone who throws up an invite at me at random. Don't ever port to me without first pm'ing me to clear it, as that is an immediate and automatic removal from my friends list.

Defender
Jul 27, 2011
fiziali wrote:
I totally agree that unless you have unlocked that world, you should not be allowed to port to it. I don't care if you have membership or not, you haven't earned the right to be there yet.

While I agree with most of what you have said, this is the one part I disagree with and this is why:

I am a level 70 in Celestia. A lot of the people on my list are high leveled people in Zafaria and Avalon. A lot of times they ask me to help them with a boss or they'll die. Even though I don't have the world, I am definitely at the right level to help these friends. Would it be fair to my friends that I can't port to them even though I am strong enough to help? If anything, it should be level restricted, not what is unlocked restricted.

Here is something I thought of: What if the game implemented an idea that if you're in battle, a message will appear if someone is trying to port to you. The message can say something like (EX): "Connor DawnBringer wishes to port to you. Allow Connor DawnBringer to port to you now?" Then have the options "Yes" or "No". This way the person in battle can choose who joins them. Again, this can be something that only happens while in battle. This way, low level people can still do high level dungeons for fun with the help of high leveled friends willing to help them "Power Level". Personally I never power leveled, but I'll do it with low level friends.

Hope this was helpful.

Seth NightFlam, Level 70 Pyromancer

Survivor
Mar 23, 2012
There should be a warning for when people try to teleport into into higher level worlds, and restrict the teleporting only to the entrance area of that world until they have received the key to it. If they want to teleport into a battle, then a little message should pop up on the screen of the person they are trying to teleport to asking to give permission. They should not, however be banned completely from that world for only being a nuisance.

I had my brother go to Mooshu so my level 15 Death wizard could teleport there. Why? Because I had recently earned Master Gardener rank and needed to buy the spells to maintain my reagent and snack factory more efficiently, and they so happened to to be in Mooshu. If this ban on low level players was implemented, I would not be able to access the spells I earned, simply because I "haven't earned the right to be there yet."

Besides, if you communicate with the low level player and strategize with them, you'd find they're better than any minion you would have summoned to deter them in the first place.

Explorer
Feb 12, 2011
DreamLucid wrote:
fiziali wrote:
I totally agree that unless you have unlocked that world, you should not be allowed to port to it. I don't care if you have membership or not, you haven't earned the right to be there yet.

While I agree with most of what you have said, this is the one part I disagree with and this is why:

I am a level 70 in Celestia. A lot of the people on my list are high leveled people in Zafaria and Avalon. A lot of times they ask me to help them with a boss or they'll die. Even though I don't have the world, I am definitely at the right level to help these friends. Would it be fair to my friends that I can't port to them even though I am strong enough to help? If anything, it should be level restricted, not what is unlocked restricted.

Here is something I thought of: What if the game implemented an idea that if you're in battle, a message will appear if someone is trying to port to you. The message can say something like (EX): "Connor DawnBringer wishes to port to you. Allow Connor DawnBringer to port to you now?" Then have the options "Yes" or "No". This way the person in battle can choose who joins them. Again, this can be something that only happens while in battle. This way, low level people can still do high level dungeons for fun with the help of high leveled friends willing to help them "Power Level". Personally I never power leveled, but I'll do it with low level friends.

Hope this was helpful.

I have a similar issue - I have 6 chars, lowest is 50 and highest is 80. Most of my close friends have all 6 of my chars added. A couple times they have shouted for help, and I have found myself in AV with my lvl 54 balance. Not my first choice wizard to take to AV, but as my friends point out - I do have 2 (almost 3) archmages, and I do know how to play and survive in AV - even though my balance wiz might not have the power to survive on her own, she can help out being that she is controlled by an experienced player. Just because you see a low level in a higher world, it doesn't necessarily mean the player behind the screen is new(er).

I would like to add just one thing - you can in fact turn your ports on and off WHILE IN BATTLE. If you have your ports off, and find yourself in trouble during a battle, you can turn your ports on, ask the correct-leveled friend for help, and when they arrive, turn your port back off. I do it all the time.

Explorer
Jan 16, 2012
My opinion is all the advanced wizards need to grow up and act like the level they are instead of complain. W101 is an awesome game and restricting lower levels is not the answer. If you don't like it, I understand...we all fail on battles once in a while. It does happen. However, don't hate other noobs just because they can't help you. My advice is flee your battle and come back or switch realms.

Explorer
May 25, 2009
DreamLucid wrote:
fiziali wrote:

Hope this was helpful.

Well, the thing is people can be trolling and spam ports them, and it could get annoying, so that wouldn't be the best option. I don't know if there's any way to help manners on a game, haters gonna hate.

Taylor Daisystone Level 71 Fire
Marissa Mist Level 33 Ice

"Manners can only be helped by the one with bad manners."

Defender
May 19, 2012
DreamLucid, at your level, I actually wouldn't have a problem with your porting, as long as you were polite and requested it and didn't just port in unexpectedly.

As for those doing gardening and/or crafting quests, I think if you have achieved that level in crafting or gardening, then you have at least earned the right to access the trainer, and I don't have a problem with that either.

I just don't like people porting or jumping into my battles unexpectedly without at least being polite enough to ask first. Sometimes that extra person can be the difference between defeat and victory.

If a friend wanted to port to see the crafting or gardening trainer, they wouldn't need to do that while I'm in combat, and I'm sure they would be fine to wait until my battle is finished before they port.

I keep my ports turned on because I partner my life and my balance wizard together from both accounts, so they can quest together. Having ports turned off would be a huge inconvenience to me, personally.

If KI would implement some kind of popup message that would allow me to accept or decline someone else jumping into my battle, I would welcome that with open arms, then people can port to their hearts content, just not into my battles without prior permission from me. Maybe then, more people would develop better manners in this game. Please and thank you goes a long way towards developing lasting friendships.

Meanwhile, as long as the battle system remains as is, all friends requests are denied with only a few exceptions for people who have proven their manners are polite and respectful. If you just throw up a friend invite at me out of the blue, I'm sorry, but you're not making my friends list, no matter what your level.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2012
If I actually chat with someone either during a battle or elsewhere and they are polite, I might add them as a friend. Higher level friends can be fun to play with or might turn out to be whiners or beggars. Low level friends are a big commitment as I feel obligated to help them with bosses, pets and such. When I accept a friend I explain that I require no swearing and that they ask before porting. Swearing, begging or excessive drama? Click that lovely remove button. Yelling about being removed? Click, ignore. Porting without a mannerly request? Two strikes and they are removed. Sending the single word "port" without warning or an actual request is basically a demand instead of a request. That's also a breach of manners and, after a few gentle reminders, the person is removed.

If you have someone on your friends list who can't abide by a request to ask before porting or does something else that you don't like, KI has provided an excellent outlet for us in the remove friend and ignore buttons. Use them.

I cannot see how any additional code by KI should be necessary. Most of the pop-up notices are simply annoying. With respect to the person originally posting this message, I disagree that anything other than the existing remove friend and ignore options are needed to address the problem.

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
Subjects of this type have been around since Dragonspyre was the final world (and maybe even before).
My suggestion is (and was over three years ago) is if someone ports to you in a high level world and did NOT receive the key for said world, they will receive 1% of the experience points they would usually get (especially in Crimson Fields!) This would pretty much eliminate the 'power levelers', and probably keep the lower levels away from the higher levels.
It won't STOP the lower levels from porting to the higher level areas, so they can help if asked, but getting 1% of the rewards my deter them after they realize it won't help them.

Rogan Firehammer

Survivor
Jan 10, 2011
I think this has happened to a lot of people on W101. I remember awhile ago i had to battle the bosses minions in a dungeon and the low level wizard kept porting and fleeing (which needless to say brought in more enemies to fight) i had helped the person in the past and he had asked me to add his other character as well which i did, sadly when i deleted the one that ported he did the same with the other one, joining and just laughing and then flee. It got rather annoying, but did finish it in longer time then thought would be.

Why not give us a pop up message asking if the other person could join the battle ( like with group chat), therefor giving us a heads up and giving us the chance to agree to this or not. I do not mind if they want to come look at the other places but during a battle just makes it harder, esp after one hit and they keep asking for healing.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Turning ports to "OFF" will easily solve the problem of lower level friends porting into a high level battle.

Setting your wizard to invisible to friends will also halt this problem.

Otherwise, chalk it up to a common occurrence in an MMORPG, which is a profoundly social environment.

Qbb

Survivor
Jun 05, 2012
BossOfAllBosses559 wrote:
I have been noticing a lot while playing the game, that new wizards (low levels) have been porting to archmage players or players that have access to the "higher level" worlds, when they clearly are ill prepared for that world. They jump in people's combats, with 700 health, get killed by a minion, and ask to be healed, or they just invite another minion into an already chaotic and hard combat and then flee. This is a major inconvenience for us players who are on a quest and are having a little bit of a rough time with it, especially when the quest is Avalon related. I know for a fact that a player can not port to another player if they are in a world where a membership is required, can there be a way to prevent lower levels who have not unlocked the other worlds from porting into the worlds they haven't unlocked yet? I tried not to make an issue of this, but, other players were complaining about the same thing as well, and when new players port to me in those worlds, I let them know how advanced that world is, as well as the average minions hit points, rank, and the pip spell they can cast, to enlighten them of the risk they are running of being in that world and being pulled into an unplanned fight. Again, I hate being a complainer, but please, set the game to where only people of the required level or the required quest can have access to the worlds that they have unlocked. It would be greatly appreciated. :D

I teleport to people, higher level people, but never ever get involved in a battle. My friend, he forgot to tell you his membership ran out( aditha12)
he showed me how hard avalon people are, so i never ever get in battle unless i accidently port to them whil ein battle.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2009
It's a part of the game you have to deal with. Remove low-level friends, turn teleports off, etc. Plus, it's good for people who are in similar worlds and similar levels to help each other. I'm in Dragonspyre, and my friend, who is in Zafaria, asked for my help in a battle. We won the battle, and if I couldn't have access to Zafaria, well, he wouldn't have help.

Survivor
Dec 27, 2010
The Big Dipper on Aug 16, 2012 wrote:
i like your idea about keeping the noobs out of the fights but they should still be aloud to tour! you can prevent this. 1.go to non populated realms.2. don't add noobs! 3. tell your friends not to bring noobs!